FM15: FC Nantes - La Maison Jaune

Saint_Lane

Welcome To The FM15 Thread - FC Nantes

10648319_695722603846504_6115945116217180510_o.jpg

FC Nantes Club Logo - Currently playing in Ligue 1 - The top tier of the French National League.

INTRODUCTION

Despite being a team rich in history with an avid and loyal group of supporters Nantes return to the top tier of French football last season was certainly eventful and not for the feint hearted. With highs & lows both on and off the field, the FC Nantes soap opera is sure to continue in 2015 & they are anything but a dull choice in this years edition of Football Manager.

After a successful season finishing 13th in Ligue 1, followers were treated to winless baron spells casting the shadow of relegation & resolute performances at the tail end of the season launching les Jaunes et Verts up the table. The tone was set at the start of the season when Nantes fielded an illegible player in 2-0 victory over Bastia. Chaos ensued. Allegations, fiascos, point deductions, off field legal battles and eventually a transfer embargo.

In this edition of FM, Nantes have a massive challenge ahead of them. A transfer embargo. No Djordevic & the fear of relegation?

WHO ARE FC NANTES?

FC Nantes are one of France's historical powerhouses. Famous for it's jeu à la nantaise (Nantes Style Football) of high pace attacking football, Nantes have won 8 Ligue 1 Titles & 3 French Cup victories making Nantes the 3rd most successful club in Ligue 1 history. Recent seasons have seen Nantes slip out down the footballing ladder but a recent promotion has seen the club re-instated in Ligue 1.

Nantes were formed in 1943 during the Second World War. A merger of smaller clubs saw the creation of FC Nantes Atlantique. The name was shortened to FC Nantes in 2007.

Les Canaris (The Canaries), have a tradition of producing talented footballers through it highly acclaimed youth system. The likes of Marcel Desailly who started his career at Nantes, where he played his first professional match at 17 years old. Desailly eventually left for Marseille, then Milan, then Chelsea. Other names Didier Deschamps, Mickaël Landreau, Claude Makelele, Christian Karembeu & Jeremy Toulalan who were all products of the system.

If you want an easy ride - you're on the wrong thread, perhaps FM:15 Chelsea F.C. is for you!

Scarves1.jpg

HISTORY

In 1943, Nantes had five football clubs (Saint-Pierre, Stade Nantais UC, AC Batignolles, ASO Nantaise and Mellinet). However, Mellinet's manager realised that Nantes could have a better chance of sporting success ifall five clubs merged into one. Following the merger of all five clubs into FC Nantes, Saupin declared, "Today we are a small team, but we will become a great team if we work together one day".

On 1 June 1963, the club won its place in the first division against Sochaux. Marcel Saupin died on 10 June and would never see the club he created amongst the elite. Nantes went on to win the 1964–65 and 1965–66 league titles with a well polished game, partly thanks to José Arribas, a fan of a more offensive game strategy who was making his first contributions to that which would become known as the jeu à la nantaise.

It was during this period that the famous jeu à la nantaise, made up of well-oiled and offensive tactics, made its appearance. Apart from the titles of French champion which Nantes held in 1973, 1977, 1980 and 1983, the club won their first Coupe de France in 1979 against Auxerre courtesy of a 4–1 victory after extra time. Eric Pécout inserted his name into Nantes folklore by converting a hat-trick in the match. In June 1983, Nantes battled out a Coupe de France final against Paris Saint-Germain, Nantes lost the match 3–2 preventing the club from obtaining the league and cup double.

nantes_makelele.jpg

Claude Makelele was part of the team that reached the semi finals of the Champions Leauge in '96.

In July 1991 the club re-instated Jean-Claude Suaudeau, and in July 1992, the after spending a fortnight in the second division due to an administrative decision by the DNGG (French Football's financial regulator), FC Nantes is renamed FC Nantes Atlantique, and is able to take its place in the 1st Division back.

In 1992, the jeu à la nantaise made its comeback. The club subsequently made the finals of the French Championship in 1992-3; semi-finals of the French Cup in 1993-4; won the 1994-5 Championship and was Semi finalist in the Champion's league of 1995–6. This period saw the development of a host of players such as Japhet N'Doram, Patrice Loko, Reynald Pedros, Nicolas Ouédec, Claude Makélélé, and Christian Karembeu.

Nantes secured a return to Ligue 1 on 25 April 2008, with a 1–1 draw against Montpellier. In the 2008–09 Ligue 1 season, Nantes finished 19th and were relegated back to Ligue 2.

Nantes was promoted to Ligue 1 on 17 May 2013 and began its 45th season in Ligue 1. Nantes finished last season in 13th position in Ligue 1 despite poor start.

FACILITIES & CLUB OVERVIEW

Overview

Nation: France

Year Founded: 1943

Operating Status: Professional.

Legends: Jean-Claude Suaudeau & Jose Arribas

Icons: Maxime Bossis, Japhet N'Doram, Mickael Landreau, Henri Michel, Christian Karembeu, Nestor Fabbri & Raynald Denoueix

Favoured Personnel: Marcel Desailly, Didier Deschamps & Reynald Pedros

Derbies: None

Fierce Rivals: Stade Rennais (Local)

Other Rivals: Bordeaux (Local), AS Saint Etienne (Historic), Angers SCO (Local), LEMANS FC (Local), FC Lorien (Local), EA Guingamp (Local)

Continental Competition: None.

Media Prediction: 15th.

Squad Personality: Determined.

Captain: Papy

Vice-Captain: Olivier Veigneau

Finances

Finances: Secure.

Estimated Value: £34m.

Balance:£4m.

Average Ticket Price: £26.

Average Season Ticket Price: £290.

Season Ticket Holders: 9,400.

Debt: None

Transfer Budget: £0 [Embargo In Place 1st Season]

Wage Budget: £240k/pw (Current: £240k/pw).

Facilities

City: Nantes.

Stadium: Stade Louis Fonteneau

Capacity: 38,004 (All Seated).

Year Built: 1984.

Stadium Condition: Good.

Surface: Grass.

Pitch Condition: Good.

Corporate Facilities: Average corporate facilities.

Training Facilities: State of the training facilities.

Youth Facilities: Excellent youth facilities.

Youth Stadium: Stade Marcel Saupin.

Training Ground: Centre Sportif Jose-Arribas.

Junior Coaching: Good junior coaching.

Youth Recruitment: Well established youth recruitment.

GOALKEEPERS

All_GK.png

16.Erwin Zelazny

Nationality: French

Date of birth: 22 September 1991

Height: 1.86 m

Weight: 80 kg

Number: 16

Position: Goalkeeper Club

1.Remy Riou

Nationality :French

Date of birth: 6 August 1987

Height: 1.91 m

Weight: 81 kg

Number: 1

30.Maxime Dupe

Date of birth: 4 March 1993

Height: 1.86 m

Weight: 85 kg

Number: 30

Position: Goalkeeper

Riou is your number one. No doubt. He will a solid enough platform for your first season when you're not expected to pull up any trees. Zelazny & Dupe will be your 2nd & 3rd choice respectively. They can provide adequate cover again for your level of ambition but a prolonged injury to Riou would seriously hurt your season's acheivements. With no transfer kitty and no room for manoeuvre in the wage budget look after Remy and don't be afraid to rotate in during cup games. Keepers need rest too you know.

DEFENDERS

All_DEF.png

4.Oswaldo Viscarrondo

Nationality: Venezuelian

Date of birth: 31 May 1984

Height: 1.91 m

Weight: 87 kg

Number: 4

Position: Defender

2.Kian Hansen

Date of birth: 3 March 1989

Height:1.84 m

Weight :74 kg

Number : 2

26.Koffi Djidji

Date of birth: 30 November 1992

Height: 1.84 m

Weight: 71 kg

Number: 26

3.Papy

Nationality: Senegalese

Date of birth: 1 December 1988

Height: 1.93 m

Weight: 82 kg

Number : 3

35. David Alcibiade

]Nationality: French

Date of birth: 1 December 1988

Height: 1.81m

Weight: 73 kg

Number : 3

22.Issa Cissokho

Date of birth: 23 February 1985

Height: 1.73 m

Number: 22

5.Olivier Veigneau

Date of birth: 16 July 1985

Height:1.74 m

Weight: 69 kg

Number: 5

Defensively you will be strong enough and fit for purpose in Season 1. Papy is the club captain & is a rock at the back, great tackle (Giggidy), bravery and great athleticism - He and Veretout are the first names on my team sheet. The big Venezuelan and Hansen (Not Alan) will provide competition and cover for that second spot in the center of defence. There is more competition for the full backs spot. Vice captain Veigneau will take some ousting at Left Back, but Alhadhur and Cissokho (Yes, his brother) will fight it out for the RB position. Be careful with rotation if that is yiur thing, a long term injury to Papy or Veigneau will seriously set you back.

I mentioned that your defence is fit for purpose. First season your not expected to pull up any tree's and your chosen back 4 will be good enough to keep you in Ligue 1 for sure. As your stability grows and with it your ambition, strengthening your defensive options will need to be high up the priority list.

MIDFIELD

All_Mid.png

18. Luca Deaux

Date of birth: 26 December 1988

Weight: 77 kg

Number: 18

Position: Midfielder

12. Birama Toure

Nationality: Mali

Date of birth: 6 June 1992

Weight: 75 kg

Number: 12

25. Jordan Veretout

Date of birth: 1 March 1993

Height: 1.76 m

Weight: 66 kg

Number: 25

7.Alejandro Bedoya

Nationality: American

Date of birth: 29 April 1987

Height: 1.78 m

Number: 7

8.Vincent Bessat

Date of birth: 8 November 1985

Number: 8

12.Serge Gakpe

Nationality: Togolese

Date of birth: 7 May 1987

Height:1.77 m

Weight: 79 kg

Number: 13

Position: Forward / Midfield

ATTACKERS

All_ST.png

11.Ismael Bangoura

Nationality: Guinean

Date of birth: 2 January 1985

Height: 1.74 m

Number: 11

Position: Forward

9.Itay Schechter

Nationality: Israeli

Date of birth: 22 February 1987

Weight: 77 kg

Number: 9

21.Johan Audel

Date of birth: 12 December 1983

Height: 1.80 m

Number: 21

10.Fernando Aristeguieta

Nationality: Venezuelian

Date of birth: 9 April 1992

Height: 1.87 m

Weight: 82 kg

Number: 10

Scarves1.jpg

FORMATIONS

formation.png

4-1-4-1

Choosing the correct formation is very much about applying a structure that best suits the players you have. This is a my personal option and one I feel that suits Nantes very well. Defensively Nantes are sound, I chose to sit Gomis infront of the back 4 with the acknowledgement that bothwingers and full backs are provided licence to attack. Lucas Deaux in CM has defensive duties and a 'Hold Position' PPI to enable a structure to remain whilst the more creative Veretout pushes on as a roaming playmaker to tuck in behind the lone striker to ensure he is not isolated.

Another great advantage of the 4-1-4-1 is its flexibility as a base point for other tactics. The 2 wide players can push on and easily become more attacking wingers in a 4-3-3. A CM can easily become a CAM whilst the DM pushes on into midfield creating a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2. I find this tactic is a useful platform to start games. It is easily 'adjusted' should you need to tailor certain factors to better suit the game in front of you. Remember there is no 1 tactic fits all. But there is a One Size Fitz Hall

4-2-3-1

The 4-2-3-1 is the formation commonly applied by FC Nantes so far this season, It provides Jordan Veretout the most creative player in the team license to press forward whilst allowing the quicker wingers more advanced positions on the flanks where they are more comfortable in the advanced positions. Veretout drop in a dictate tempo more freely by finding space in behind the midfield.

4-3-3

4-3-3 is another variation on the above. it provides sound defensive structure with the 2 DM's. The formation lends its self to a more contained, counter attacking style of play. Suiting Gakpe and faster attacking players to launch quick, direct attacks into the opposition area. This works well with a structured, stand off approach so that players do not pull themselves out of positions or over commit.

Jeu à la Nantaise

I appreciate the above may seem bold. I choose to play a fluid system, with attacking mentality at home and counter attacking when away - As a general rule. I try and adhere to 'jeu à la nantaise' and play aggressive football. I believe this plays to Nantes strengths relatively well. Gomis or Toure can provide a solid rear guard to the back four. With a 5 man mdfield it is difficult for the opposition to nail down a solid passing game. The 2 wide midfielders in the 4-1-4-1 formation sitting in the ML & MR provide considerably more cover than its 4-2-3-1 alternative where the 2 wide men are considerably more advanced. With these more 'structured' and defensive positions in place there is a solid bedrock to encourage a more fluid and attacking style of play without risking too much defensively.

tempo.png

Nice thread Saint_Lane. Could give these a go.

Do they start the first season with points deducted? Or were they deducted the previous season? And could you tell me the board expectations in the first season?

Liking the transfer embargo, would be nice to take that out of the equation for first season whilst I build up a shopping list. I always get too bogged down bringing in too many players too quickly so an embargo would remove all temptation!

Nice thread Saint_Lane. Could give these a go.

Do they start the first season with points deducted? Or were they deducted the previous season? And could you tell me the board expectations in the first season?

Liking the transfer embargo, would be nice to take that out of the equation for first season whilst I build up a shopping list. I always get too bogged down bringing in too many players too quickly so an embargo would remove all temptation!

Definitely recommend it Jibby. No, no point deduction this season. Expectation is "Not to be outclassed on too many occasions". You have the option for consolidation or to avoid relegation also.

The embargo is entertaining. It was enforced because Nantes signed Bangoura whilst he was technically under contract still for Al-Nasr. I think they had to pay around 4m euros for compensation!

Like the history, the stadium size and facilities here at Nantes and embargo is a challenge and something different. Thanks for heads up.

Agreed. The facilities are top class & If you enjoy the challenge of brining youth through to the first team - You have plenty of opportunity!

Great thread! You convinced me to start a FC Nantes save. So far I've played 10 league games and collected 18 points which puts me in 6th place, playing a pretty weird 2-3-2-3 formation (2 CB, 2 CWB in the DM strata, 1 Halfback, 2 B2B, and 3 strikers) that gives me a lot of possession. Hopefully I'll get some great youth in when the youth intake is there!

1LFnHWi.png

So at the 3rd of January the table looks like this. Hopefully we'll be able to keep this up and push for a European spot. We're averaging 60.21% possession, by far the highest percentage in the league. :)

I have tried to sign Adrien Rabiot on a free, but he agreed on a new contract with PSG unfortunately.

So at the 3rd of January the table looks like this. Hopefully we'll be able to keep this up and push for a European spot. We're averaging 60.21% possession, by far the highest percentage in the league. :)

I have tried to sign Adrien Rabiot on a free, but he agreed on a new contract with PSG unfortunately.

This is impressive. You got 3 goals out of Aristeguieta?! That's more than he's given me all season. Would love to see your Formation and Team instructions?

Fantastic layout of your thread as usual. I usually take on a club in France at some point, and will consider Nantes if I do again (because of this).

Jordan Veretout is a player I have admired for a few years (but never been successful in signing), whilst Alex Yougouda (in reserve team) was quite highly thought of when at Coton Sport, so it will be interesting to see if you ever use him in your save. I took him directly from Africa to Saint Etienne in FM14 and he was very good.

I noticed you did a little summary of goalkeepers and defenders, but not the midfield or attack. I'll look forward to seeing that at some point.

Aristeguieta actually hasn't done too much for me, although he had a great game there. I would probably sell him if a decent offer comes in because he is worth €4.7m at the moment.

This is the current standing in Ligue 1 after 31 games. We are in a heavy fight with Lille, Marseille and Lyon for the Champions League spots.

As you can see we're ranked first in goals scored, but conceding a bit too many to be a title contender. Obviously I'm still very happy with how things are going right now.

jdzkm3a.png

I've also just played the Coupe de la Ligue final, which turned out to be a thriller!

RpFmRpU.png

I was gutted when Gignac scored that late equalizer, but fortunately we bettered them in the penalty shoot-out! :) Really happy to win a cup in the first season!

4ghvS3j.png

Vk7MY2A.png

Tactic-wise we line up like this, we play on a counter mentality with flexible team shape (accidentally cut that part of). The only player instruction I use is the GK to play it short. I'm not entirely happy with the front 3, I think I'll play with 1 AMC and 2 strikers in the future, but the squad currently doesn't have any AMC so I decided to play 3 strikers. This would also leave more space for the CWB's to run into because the False Nine and Trequarista tend to move into their space. I'd also probably change 1 MC to a DLP if I were to play with an AMC.

Jogo Bonito: Yougouda looks like he could do a job but I don't think he'll ever cut it at the top level. I was going to use him as a backup but then he picked up an injury that kept him out for 2 months, so I decided to use Amine Oudrhiri instead. I have now loaned out Yougouda to Orleans but he will never play for my first team.

One thing that annoys me is that literally ever single player from the reserve-team is complaining about the lack of gametime, and they pretty much all of them are transferlisted now, even though most of their contracts are running out anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived