Youth recruitment--youth facilities--youth academy.

I know I saw it somewhere before but I cant find the explanation and definition of what these do. I just got the job at sunderland and finally after a year fixed their horrible financial woes by selling a ton of players. :( Now I have to use youth and the youth system per the board. I bought genie scout for two reasons...one for help understanding some of the hidden attributes of players and the second reason was to see where my club was with its youth setup and facilities because I have a hard time seeing all of the necessary info to try and improve things. So....specifically my youth recruitment is at a 10. How do I fix this. I am supposed to bring youth through the system with a 10 doesnt sound promising.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ask the board to improve facilities, they are likely to accept if it is part of their philosophies they want you to follow. Be aware though, it can be a slow process, and will probably take several years to get them up to a good standard.

There is a board request option to improve youth recruitment. However, keep in mind that as in real life there's only so much talent to recruit in Northeast England, so improving youth recruitment doesn't mean your youth system will start filling up with great players.

However, you don't have to use players that come out of your own youth system to satisfy that board request. If you go sign top teenagers from other teams and give them playing time, that will do it.

You should really have a look at Cleon's Ajax development thread - it has youth development broken down into fantastic detail.

But to answer your question using the thread (and Hand of God's explanation)

Youth Recruitment = Increases likelihood of recruiting high PA youth and increasing how far your youth recruitment network will reach (low recruitment means you will probably only get local players who aren't recruited by bigger clubs, high recruitment means you will get top talent from all over the world). Youth recruitment, however, is also affected by your club's reputation.

Youth Facilities = The quality of the training facilities used by the players currently in your youth team. Good youth facilities will help your youth players improve more.

Junior Coaching = The quality of the coaching of the lower levels of your youth system. Basically, this represents coaching of youth players before they're generated as 14/15 year-olds. In terms of game mechanics, high junior coaching will increase the average ability of your youth players when they're first generated.

So in short it's;

Recruitment = Regen PA

Junior Coaching = Regen CA

Youth Facilities = Rate of youth player CA improvement

Just went in to ask the board to improve youth recruitment and I only have options too decrease. Which is odd because my youth recruitment is at a 10(genie scout). Why wouldnt they allow me to increase?

Isn't the higher the number the better in this case? Either way, this has happened to me and I think it's down to the size of the club- it's network is probably maxed out in line with the reputation.

So reputation plays a part in the quality of the youth recruitment? I suppose this makes sense, but blackburn a smaller team has a 14 almost as good as chelsea, so I figure

there must be something more to it.

I'm sure it's more complex than reputation. It does play a part though- a small club will not have a very wide recruitment area. They wouldn't attract people from outside their general area to play in their youth schemes. It might have something to do with the population in the area as well? Someone else will have to chip in here.

Reading between the lines of Cleon's threads, I think youth recruitment is also related to the diversity of staff you have employed. If you have coaches, scouts, managers, assistants etc. who have knowledge of other countries, then your "youth network" effectively increases. Maybe if you recruit some foreign staff and THEN ask the board to increase.

I've managed to increase youth recruitment at Blackburn from Above Average to Established, but they won't let me increase it any further. I'm guessing this is because of a combination of factors.

a) Blackburn is in a region with lots of higher reputation teams (Man U, Man City, Liverpool to name three)

b) My scouting network and world knowledge isn't as extensive as it could be (I think I have around 35% world scouting knowledge)

c) I don't have a large network of feeder clubs to extend my reputation / player knowledge

Its also worth noting that upgrading your training facilities becomes increasingly difficult the higher you get.

Also with Blackburn I asked the board to upgrade the training facilities, and we went from Great to Superb (they'd already been downgraded once when we got promoted to the permiership). The first time round I could ask to improve general training facilities and youth facilities at the same time. They both cost about the same amount (about 2 mill) and took the same amount of time (about 3 months).

The next year I asked to upgrade again and I could only ask for 1 at a time. General facilities cost about 5 mill and took the same amount of time, but youth facilities cost about 6 mill and took 2 years to complete (its still not finished). I hope its worth it...

Like you now I am unable to increase youth recruitment or youth coaching any further. I've just got a new feeder club and I can employ a few more scouts / coaches, so I'll see if the situation changes later in the season. I might have to wait until the next season, assuming my club's reputation increases further this year.

So cleon when you do respond to this..I know you will because your like a blogging ninja. I tried myself to understand why one could have a higher youth recruitment over another and ive found reputation has no obvious affect on your ability to get a higher level. I have found multiple clubs with far lower rep than me with high youth rec. Sunderland was in the premier league I only took over for them after they were dropped. Training facilities are all very high...I just cant find a reason.

From my experience, only increases in club's rep allow you to increase your youth recruitment. However some teams have traditionally better recruitment (area/links with other teams/countries etc) so start with better recruitment.

All the other facilities just have a time lock on how often you can ask for the board to consider.

• 1 month later...

Team: Lechia Gdansk

Date: October 26th, 2027

Club reputation: 9,034 (starting reputation was 4,600)

Competition reputation: 6,950 (Polish Ekstraklasa); this is from FM Genie Scout; starting rep was 109 per the game editor, so these must be using a different scale)

Training Facilities: 20

Youth Facilities: 20

Youth Academy: 20 (but in RED in FM Genie Scout - no clue what that means)

Corporate Facilities: Average

Youth Coaching: Exceptional

Above Average Youth Recruitment

Big competitions won: 4x ECL, 1x Europa League

Ekstraklasa is now 10th on the list of European competitions in terms of reputation.

The team plays in the city of Gdansk. In the editor, we find the following details on the city:

Attraction: 19

Inhabitants: 250,001-500,000

Nearest city (and rival) is Gdynia, with 1/2 the population, and Attraction of 18

Staff at the club consists of 67 very diverse individuals (that's coaches, scouts, DoF, HoYD). World scouting knowledge is at 66%. I also have 9 feeder teams (compared to 2 at the beginning of the game, iirc); two of those teams are Bologna and Nottingham Forest; the rest are a mix of Central/Eastern European/Scandinavian clubs. Cleon has stated these factors do not matter, but I include the info for completeness' sake.

Despite the above, I still cannot improve my Youth Recruitment. Lechia's youth recruitment is rated at 14 at the beginning of the game, and here it has remained. Gdansk looks to be a city that is highly rated in the editor (relative to other Polish cities), the team Reputation is much higher than it was at the beginning, the club now has European honors, which it never did before, but still - no dice. I only get options to cut back youth recruitment.

Is there some other factor I'm missing? Is FM 2014 any different in this respect?

You perhaps need to raise your reputation further, januszpa. I was quite stuck for 10 years reputationwise (with Podbeskidzie), then started making progress and youth recruitment seems to have followed the increase in reputation. Now I can also get clubs feeding me youth, which perhaps additionally increases youth recruitment.

-edit-

My reputation is around 9600 and youth recruitment is 17, I think.

Well, that gives me hope then. I've been unable to raise the Ekstraklasa above 9-10th spot in European competition rep, which I believed would also cap my TEAM reputation growth, but if Podbeskidzie can get to 9,600 rep and 17 recruitment, then Lechia should be able to achieve that as well.

What do you mean by clubs "feeding" you youth - is this an automatic process? I have affiliates where I'm supposed to have first pick of their youth players, but I still have to search them "manually" - they don't report to me if they get exciting prospects.

I raised Ekstraklasa to around 11th in reputation/coefficients, then had around 10 years of being seeded second in the Champions League, during which I perhaps once reached the semi-final, then I won the Champions League, which elevated me to the worldwide reputation, and lost in the final in the next season, which still raised my reputation a bit. I could perhaps end up second in coefficients after this season. Ekstraklasa is 9th and it's unlikely it will get higher than 8th anytime soon. Recently I started getting non-Polish European youngsters in the youth intake, and after the Champions League success I got an option of asking for feeder clubs providing me with youth - now I have a couple of Brazilian youngsters with a clause providing my feeder club money on their sale, and 3 such feeders.

zenzen, I can now confirm that the option to ask for a feeder club that will send its youth players to your team (and some of these may then come through the youth ranks) is NOT available to every club. I had the dialogue option with Barca, but I don't have it with Lechia, despite the much-increased status of the team.

Question for you - how many times did you win UCL with Podbeskidzie? I would imagine one victory would be insufficient to raise your rep to 9,600, so maybe there are other factors in play?

I won it once and it gave me a boost from around 9200 (continental reputation - on which I was stuck for some 10 years during which I only won the Europa League once and the Supercup; only during the later years I had a look at the numerical value and saw no change) to around 9600 (worldwide reputation, I had 8 players with worldwide reputation after the victory), playing in the final the next season (which was the last one I finished so far) boosted it slightly still (together with merchandise sales). I saw the option of getting such clubs after winning the Champions League/getting my reputation to worldwide.

I saw that the reputation was static numberwise for some years, and during that time I was upgrading facilities, built a new stadium, was getting a lot of money from selling players and more players with worldwide reputation and slightly improving my merchandise sales - only the Champions League success budged it.

Hmm,

Lechia does have "Worldwide" rep now, we are the 5th in the world. I have 16 players with Worldwide rep. So, the difference b/w our teams is about 600 rep points - maybe that's it?

How about the affiliates you have - other than the youth intake feeders, what sort of affiliates do you have? I have gone 100% with first-option affiliates, but maybe I should get some affiliates to raise my profile abroad...

I have 14 affiliates and all of them are first option (all over Europe), except 4 youth feeders (Brazil, Mexico, France, Nigeria - I forgot I got one more at some point) and one Polish club I can only loan to.

I had a look at the editor, my reputation was in fact 9398 (not around 9600; 11th in the world reputationwise, I think), I lost in the first knockout round of the Champions League and after season it increased to 9458 (currently 12th). Unless it changes during the season or somesuch.

Archived