[FM14] - A Nomad's Adventure

Cardiovascular

Finally got a new laptop and FM14, so I felt like diving into a journeyman career across the world which, fingers crossed, will bring me success! My main aim is to try and win the Pentagon challenge across the whole career. A man can dream, right? Straight to it then, here are the leagues I've loaded;

xgkYChi.png

And of course, the man who you'll be joining on this quest for glory. A 32 year old ex-Sunday League Footballer.

AOYm0Gj.png

To make this more interesting, I've compiled a list of goals for my manager to achieve over the course of his career. Hopefully I'll be able to rattle a few off during my time I spend on this career. I'll also try and keep track of whether or not I manage to achieve them.

Goals & Targets

• Complete the 'Pentagon' (Win the Champions League on all continents (except Oceania))
  • Earn a promotion of some sort
  • Win a title of some sort
  • Win a cup of some sort
  • Win a shield of some sort
  • Develop a tactic that actually works?
  • Manage Aberdeen in the SPL
  • Win the SPL with Aberdeen - ambitious, I know
  • Manage Manchester United at some point - to glory!
  • Manage Scotland at some point - to glory!
  • Conquer the MLS
  • Become a legend/icon at a club
  • Enter the worldwide Hall of Fame.

If you guys can think of anymore to add, feel free to suggest! These are just off the top of my head at this moment in time.

Onwards and upwards! Right?

It took until September to receive my first job interview, and hopefully offer - and just like waiting ages for a bus, two came along at once. Both were situated in the heart of my home country (well, one of them was...) and both played in the Scottish League Two.

pCqMGl3.png

L6OpJ1N.png

Both teams had had their player-manager's contracts expire at the end of August, and both had approached me for an interview. Both were predicted to be high flyers this year, with Stirling predicted to finish first and Berwick predicted to come third. Obviously, I attended both interviews and was happy with mostly everything the boards were laying forward. My only request from both clubs was that they search for a parent club upon my arrival, which both agreed to do.

afW2vtM.png

pJgjgj9.png

In my mind, this was the path I wanted to take. I think Stirling have more potential, and should be good fun!

Thank you Dizzy!

009__001__club_crests__Stirling_Albion__1276179439_standard.jpg

Stirling Albion - Scottish League Two - 2013/14

Balance: £119,891

Projected Balance: (£131,000)

Wage Budget: £3,329

Current Wage Bill: £2,764

Media Prediction: 1st

The Squad

MXJfTJr.png

Standout Players

Ysv4bW4.png

VWouvEt.png

Both Dale Fulton and Chris Smith look like absolutely outstanding for this level of playing, and they are both rated as League One star players - they should help us in our charge for promotion. The squad itself is loaded with defenders, and pretty bare-ish elsewhere, which is something that will need to be addressed in the near future. Thankfully, we have a scout who has some decent players looked up already, plus money to play with in the wage budget.

Thanks Nobby.

September

14/9 - Elgin City 1-1 Stirling

Elgin took the lead in my first game in charge just after the half-hour mark - he slotted home neatly after being sent through. It looked like it would stay that way as the game dragged out, until star man Chris Smith headed home MacKillop's corner at the front post with 18 minutes to go. A point salvaged!

21/9 - Queen's Park 2-0 Stirling

A disappointing game. Queen's Park took the lead early on through striker Alan Trouten, and the game was sealed when our right back Scott Gibb conceded a penalty just before half-time. Said penalty would be converted for the final goal of the game by Euan Smith. Drama wasn't finished though as Gibb would come off at half time with a twisted ankle which would see him out for 6-8 weeks.

24/9 - Stirling 5-1 Peterhead

Finally, my first three points as manager! It didn't look great when Leighton McIntosh ran through our defence like they weren't there and dinked it over Perntreou, our stand in keeper for the day. Then we had a moment of luck as McIntosh went onto have a goal questionably ruled out for offside. It wouldn't matter though as Coult began the comeback, slotting home from Stasiak's fine through ball. It was 2-1 just after the break when Stasiak turned scorer from winger Lee Hamilton's cross. And 2 became 3 moments later from total route one football: Perntreou launching it downfield to Stasiak who flicked it on for Coult who rounded the keeper to score. The fourth goal came from the same man, as substitute Chris Paton, just 17 years old, came off the bench to cross it in for Coult's hattrick. The fifth and final goal was the icing on the cake, Paton again involved as he was taken down by the Peterhead defender in the box. The defender was subsequently sent off, and Dale Fulton converted the penalty to round off the win.

28/9 - Stirling 5-2 Inverurie Locos (Scottish Cup 2nd Round)

A match I thought would be easy enough turned into a difficult enough game until the last ten minutes. We took an early lead through Chris Paton, and again Stasiak was the provider as he flicked it on for the youngster to run onto. The lead last two minutes: poor defending from a corner and Ian Nimmo slammed it home for Locos to equalise. Just past the half-hour mark, we re-took the lead through Paton again as he seized on a defensive error and was presented with an easy opportunity. The score would remain 2-1 until half-time when a flick on from a corner was met by Bavidge at the back post for the equaliser. From then on, it was all us and again Paton was involved as he played it through for substitute Coult to slam it home for his fourth in two matches. Again, Paton played it through for returning-from-injury substiture David Weatherston who made no mistake by bulleting a shot into the top corner. The game was sealed with 3 minutes to go as Muir scored easily from a corner.

League Table

iwS7wv3.png

The month started off a bit meh, but we certainly pulled through towards the end! Our strike team, between Paton, Stasiak and Coult have been absolutely immense, and it's looking up if we can keep up this kinda form. Our Scottish Cup win will see us face Rangers... sadly, it's one of Berwick or Cove as they settle it out in a replay. Ah well, Ibrox would've been nice.

I see you got your name back :D

Yeah, the lovely mod team decided it was time to return to old ways!

Queen's Park doing the opposite to how they are in real life.

Early days yet, Nobby.

October

5/10 - Annan 1-0 Stirling

We were **** - enough said.

19/10 - Stirling 0-1 Clyde

Similarly, we were terrible. Two really poor games have set October off on a questionable start.

26/10 - East Stirlingshire 2-1 Stirling

Very disappointing performance in this local rivalry. We took an early lead through on loan centre back Robert Wilson turning in from a corner, but that was totally wiped out before half time was upon us by East Stirlingshire, as they carried a 2-1 lead into the break. Afterwards, we had a couple of chances but we never looked like threatening and we succumbed to our third defeat of the month. Things are looking pretty shaky here.

29/10 - Stirling 3-2 Montrose

Prior to the game I finalised two trialists to join - and since league rules allow a maximum of two trialists in the squad, it almost works out like a month long loan. The game itself was a joy to watch until the 80th minute when we fell apart, but the three points were much welcomed, especially against a team much higher in the table. A drab first half finished goalless, but nine minutes into the second half and Wilson made it two in two for him, poking in Forsyth's knockdown from a corner. Dale Fulton then smashed home a free-kick from 30 yards out in impressive style, and it was three when striker White deflected a long range shot past the 'keeper. Montrose mounted a late comeback and made us sweat a little, but we had three points to end October with.

League Table

eMcVNGP.png

Still clinging onto a promotion spot after the win over Montrose and truth be told: a few good wins and we will be up in the top half (joys of a ten team league!) It's certainly something I can see happening if I can get the defence sorted and the attack scoring...

I took some screenshots of the trialists I signed and then it occured to me I had made three signings and hadn't shared them. So here are the 5 new players at the club since I joined:

Arnaud Gastal - French goalie formerly of the high Scottish leagues. Seems to be solidish and has become our first choice goalkeeper since joining.

Lewis Coult - Appears to be a very solid looking striker and should be good in this decision. He's scored some goals so far but not as much as I'd like from him. A drought in October wasn't good enough.

Matthew McArthur - An extra body in midfield whom we paid nothing for, including no wages. He came from our new parent club, St. Johnstone. Would have preferred Stevie May, mind.

Jack Boyle - The first of the two trialists. We only have one, very questionable left winger so I took him in to have a look at him. Hopefully he can cement a place on the left wing and earn a contract!

Johnny Brown - Second trialist, made his debut in the victory over Montrose. He looked good enough in fairness, despite being taken in as a backup.

Definitely needed the Montrose win to get back on track.

If only it were that simple. :(

November

2/11 - Stirling 1-2 Cove Rangers (Scottish Cup 3rd Round)

At match that on a normal day should have been an easy win. Yet this was a match that given our form was bound to end in an upset. And surprise surprise, it did. Our only goal came from an own goal by the Cove centre back, which really sums up our day, and inevitably our month. Dreadful.

9/11 - Stirling 0-1 Elgin City

Dreadful. I need not say no more - Elgin were bottom of the league and now we've opened up a can of worms upon ourselves. The slight silver lining is that we can't get relegated!

23/11 - Berwick 4-0 Stirling

And we went from bottom of the league loss to top of the league hammering. Dreadful?

30/11 - Albion Rovers 1-1 Stirling

Finally, a point. But again, a terrible performance and we were lucky to gain this. Once more, Wilson scored our only goal and I'm beginning to wonder if I should start playing him up front. Bleh.

League Table

fXvIh5u.png

Safe to say, it's not looking great.

December

14/12 - Peterhead 1-1 Stirling

We conceded an early penalty up in the North-East which was converted by Peterhead's star striker McAllister. A start which seemed to be heading the same way as the form we were in. We did eventually equalise through Dale Fulton who scored an incredible lob from 45 yards which was an absolute joy to watch. Sadly, we couldn't do much more in the game and we took home a point. Oh, and also two injuries from the dirty thugs!

17/12 - Stirling 3-3 Queen's Park

Queen's Park took a two goal lead within twelve minutes and bad things started running through my head about what the scoreline was going to finish as but we pulled one back. Can you guess who scored? Robert Wilson! Usual story here. Search for a goal from our striker goes on. BUT THEN WE SCORED ANOTHER!! Could it be a striker's goal? Nope, but it was Fulton again as he snuck in at the front post to poke home a low cross. Queen's Park once again took the lead just after the break and it looked as though it was going to finish this way until winger Phil Johnston capitalised on a defensive error to tuck home an equaliser.

21/12 - Clyde 2-1 Stirling

We actually took the lead in this one, Chris Smith nodding home from a cross into the box a few minute before that time. I thought we'd at least take that lead into the break but Clyde has other idea and it was 1-1 on the stroke off half-time. Once again, it looked like we'd pick up a point but nope, a late Clyde goal sent us back to Stirling with the tails between our legs.

26/12 - Stirling 0-2 Annan

Another day another loss. We are doing terribly right now, and this is getting really frustrating. Nothing I seem to do tactically is working and our strikers seem more likely to score in our own net than the opposition. I feel like the sack can't be far off.

League Table

Hz3YSLc.png

I sense some kind of suckerpunch that Berwick, whom I think I would've gotten an offer from as well as Stirling, are sitting around about the top of the table.

Signings

Curtis Jones - Signed on loan from Raith for nothing pretty much, he adds another option in defence and includes what could be a vital element - pace.

Alejandro Caiaffa - A Colombian central midfielder brought in on trial. According to his history, he's been without a club since leaving Livingstone 5 years prior to this trial. Hopefully his trial ends better than the last two - Jack Boyle was ineligible to play and Johnny Brown ended up with a torn hamstring.

Devon Jacobs - A South African right back who arrives with a fair amount of potential on trial. I'm actually hopeful I can free up the funds to bring both these guys in on a permanent basis.

Oh dear, hoping for a great recovery.

Yep, fingers crossed I can get things going!

January

4/1 - Stirling 2-0 East Stirling

FINALLY! A win! And against our rivals too. It's about time. AND EVEN MORE EXCITING, TWO GOALS FROM OUR STRIKERS! The first came just before the hour mark when Jordan White finally managed to turn the ball in after having a few bites at the apple. And the second came two minutes later, as Coult was sent through by Devon Jacobs with a defence splitting pass, and he finally finished for his first since September, or something ridiculous like that. Oh and I forgot to mention that good things come in threes - the curse of the trialist hit. Poor Alejandro Caiaffa left our club early with a 4 month hip injury. Poor guy.

11/4 - Montrose 4-2 Stirling

Of course, after our first win in forever, I would get the message saying my job was at risk. And of course we would be facing pretty much two stronger teams in the next two days. Montrose was first and we were outplayed, although only just. Two goals from Jordan White were again good to see, but not enough for us to earn a point.

18/11 - Stirling 0-2 Berwick

An early penalty for Berwick, and a goal two minutes later and this game was over. We were played off the park and fortunate it wasn't more of a loss, but I didn't expect much as Berwick are title contenders this year. We are not.

25/1 - Elgin 1-3 Stirling

An EXCELLENT win. Considering Elgin are weaker than us, we needed this more than ever. And boy, we got it. New signing (see later in the post) Paul Currie opened the scoring with a fine strike from the edge of the area, but then he gave Elgin a chance by putting the ball into his own net for one-all. It would be just before the half-hour mark before we retook the lead, as youngster Paton converted Coult's cross for what is described as his first senior goal for some reason, despite him scoring already. We'd keep that lead right up until the 90th minute, and just when I told the team to go super defensive, White capped off a fine month for him and ensured we'd take the three points home.

League Table

UwKuPBj.png

Signing

Yj43XAy.png

Just the one signing made from a non-league club - and he looked pretty good for this level. As demonstrated by a goal in the league already. Quite pleased with this signing.

February

1/2 - Stirling 5-0 Albion Rovers

Well, this was impressive and unexpected. Second in the league meant I didn't have high hopes but we came out the gates kicking and on the 20th minute, Paton slipped through the man in form Jordan White and he bulleted home a shot into the bottom corner - a very tidy finish. It was two when Gary Phillips headed into his own net from a MacKillop corner. Rather bizarrely, Paton was given the assist for this despite being nowhere near play. Bang on the hour mark, White scored by capitalising on a defensive mixup (seems to be the norm in this league) and soon after that, Coult got on the scoresheet when the goalkeeper spilled an easy shot. It looked like it would end 4-0 but there was still time for White to complete his hattrick by rounding the keeper. Man, he is on fire!

8/2 - Queen's Park 0-0 Stirling

A boring match, but for the first time, I can safely say we should've won this. We had more possession and 14 shots, but we could only get one on target. Sad times, but a point nonetheless.

15/2 - Stirling 4-1 Peterhead

Another excellent win! Paton gave us the lead by taking down a long ball over the top well and firing home. Chris Smith doubled our lead when he headed home from a MacKillop corner. White once again made it 3 when he took a bouncing ball down nicely and volleyed it home into the top corner. It was a very nice finish and something I'm starting to expect from him lately. Peterhead did pull a goal back from an absolute peach of a free-kick which curled beautifully into the net, leaving Gastad helpless. The match was completed deep into stoppage time when Stasiak scored his first goal in 15 hours! Fifteen!!

22/2 - Annan 4-1 Stirling

Another one I kinda didn't expect us to win, although given our form I thought we had an outside shot at winning. Yet it was not to be, and White's early goal proved to be nothing more than a shock to the system for Annan who came back to win comfortably. Afterwards, the board wanted one of those crisis meetings and threatened to sack me if things didn't pick up. A bit harsh, given our recent form. :(

League Table

EitG1JB.png

Awards

jLeWwdZ.png

Eh6VUSv.png

jKCf2Xu.png

That's pish mate, where to next?

I know! After picking up some form I would've like a little bit more time, but what can you do? I'll go wherever the wind blows in all honesty. Not picky. :D

iGlrHOX.png

I've been given this interview to a club in Belgium, who are also in the midst of a relegation playoff. I might delay (if offered) it until that's over because I really don't want to join and have to leave after two matches. That would be pretty embarrassing.

Ended up rejecting the Bornem offer since their survival wasn't secure by the time I had to make a choice. And they stayed up, but whether they would hav with me in charge is a different story. Have now received this which would be an alright point to take up;

GjQXYkS.png

Newly promoted, some money to spend, a squad to fill, a dream to ruin...

hinckley-united.jpg

Hinckley United - Skrill North

Rec1GPI.png

So Hinckley have taken a shot with me as their manager. During the interview, I made only two requests. The first was play defensive football, in order to cover my own back. :D And the second was a bit of a struggle to get, but I managed to get the board to agree to finding a parent club which was pretty pleasing. Next port of call was to find me some staff, since me and the chairman are the only members currently. I also need to find some players, so this should be great fun!

kWS27Pl.png

Finances

Balance: £82,572

Transfer Budget: £7,889

Wage Budget: £7,209

Current Wage Bill: £3,283

Squad

gcDqXdD.png

A questionable group of players. Improvements, and backups are necessary but looking at the scout reports I've brought in, it seems like not a lot of people are looking to join 'The Knitters.' It could be a long season.

Bad luck at Stirling, I struggled too in my first job. Hinckley would be interesting and you can't possibly do any worse than they have in real life!

Not sure how they're doing IRL, but I guarentee this year will be a struggle... :(

Stirling was a sad time, but good luck in Hinckley!

Indeed it was, thanks!

Less than a Stirling effort.

Glad you're a laugh at my expense, Nobby. :(

hinckley-united.jpg

Hinckley United - Pre-season - 2014/15

Transfers

n7wHC29.png

As you can see, a MASSIVE rebuild was necessary. It was difficult, seeing as our reputation is so low we can only attract a certain class of players: I believe the best player we signed was classed as a decent player for the Skrill North. Survival is the key here for sure, and I don't think there's gonna be much else we can get. The missing players from the screenshot are Steve Torpey (ML), Dan Wooden (ST) and Hegel Noubissie (ML, ST) - average players, but the best we could get. Could be a long season ahead of us.

Friendlies

cbrOx9h.png

The game against Portsmouth was the only friendly originally arranged, and we barely had a squad for it. The others were arranged just to ensure we had some kind of preseason and it was nice to see we didn't lose to any lower opposition. Always pleasant.

Key Players

Adam Nowakowski (DC/MC) | Chris Lane (DR) | Sean O'Connor (ST)

Whether these guys will keep us up or not remains to be seen. I won't lie: the outlook is bleak.

Well they're not a football club any more! They went under so unless you burn the place down, I think you'll be fine :lol:

Well, that's a bit refreshing to hear that I can't do worse than them. :D Sad to hear though.

Need these boys to gel asap!

Indeed, it's vital.

hinckley-united.jpg

Hinckley United - Skrill North - 2014/15

August

16/8 - Hinckley 3-1 Southport

A brilliant start to life at Hinckley! Nowakowski gave us the lead when he headed home from a corner just before the half-hour mark, and Sean O'Connor grabbed a debut goal to make it 2-0 after half-time. Southport pulled a goal back afterwards to make us sweat a little, but just three minutes before time was up, we counter attacked and Burgess capitalised on some poor defending to win us the match!

19/8 - Bradford PA 3-1 Hinckley

A pretty disappointing result, in all honesty. Bradford were populated with young players, but we still lost unfortunately - our only goal was a late equaliser from O'Connor, but two late goals killed us off.

23/8 - Hinckley 2-3 Leamington

DISAPPOINTED. To say the least. We lost two goals in quick succession after just eight minutes, but it was 2-2 on the 22nd minute as we scored two quick goals of our own through James Burgess. That's the striker by the way, since we also signed a young centre back handily called James Burgess. Buuuut it was not to be, and Leamington scored with 20 minutes to go and disappointingly, that was all we could muster.

30/8 - Solihull Moors 5-2 Hinckley

Yuck. That is all I have to say. It was 1-1 after 20 minutes, with Burgess cancelling out an early Moors goal. And we folded after that, conceding four more and scoring a late consolation through Dan Wooden. It wasn't enough, and we left August with our feet firmly planted on the ground after soaring off early on.

League Table

zkAdzNh.png

A less than impressive start to say the least. Hopefully we can pick it up through September and climb up the table.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope the emergency upgrade pays off!

Not so much, I'm afraid.

Maybe I should try Hinckley if it's impossible to be as **** as they were in real life.

Shouldn't we all? I'm heading the same way.

hinckley-united.jpg

Hinckley United - Skrill North - 2014/15

September

Te5hxs3.png

Oh my. This seems to be much worse than I originally imagined. The month started off with two thrashings from Colwyn Bay and Boston. The less said about those, the better, because we were absolutely awful. We gained a point from Tamworth, before being embarrassed by non-league Stotfield in the FA Cup and I'm finding myself running round in circles with this team. My tactics are ****. My team is horrendously average, even for this league. Meh. Following that was a rather impressive draw versus top-of-the-league Guiseley which was literally the ONLY positive in this month, which says alot. Need major improvements, and fast.

League Table

SuLLpbf.png

Things can only get better, shirley?

Archived