[FM14] NFL-style fantasy league for the USA.

With the return of the advanced editor, I wanted to try and resurrect an NFL system that I remember floating around 2 or 3 years ago on here. Which has one the most part been an extremely successful exercise. I really intend this file as a base of people to start their own editor files as much as something to download and play (although it will function perfectly well if you choose to do this!), because I find that these days I do not have enough time to dedicate to making the file perfect. Ideally, I would like to extend this down several levels, with some kind of promotion and relegation scheme between levels. So anybody who wants to do this, and wants especially to make the teams for the lower levels, let me know! I know how to set up the promotion and relegation, so I would be happy to handle that.

Anyway, the NFL style leagues. Here is a lowdown on what that actually means.

• 32 fantasy teams from big cities around the USA, Canada, and one from Cuba.
  • Teams are split into 8 groups.
  • Teams play every team in the league once (total of 31 games).
  • The winners of each group are qualified directly into the playoffs.
  • Teams are also ranked in a total league table. Thus, alongside the 8 divisional playoff the best 4 teams from the league stage qualify as 'wild cards'
  • In the playoffs, the wildcard round sees the worst 8 teams in the league stage play each other (5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, 8 v 9)
  • The winners of the wildcard then play the best 4 teams. I was unable to set seedings properly here, and any help would be appreciated on fixing this!
  • Winner of the playoff final is the champion.

Due to losing the draft, I have added increasing prize money for the lower you finish in your group, but with a lot of prize money for reaching the playoffs. This is offset by the fact that ranking levels are set in the league stage, so if you finish 32nd you are very likely to lose your job I imagine. Thus it should be quite hard to 'Suck for Luck' (for those of you that do not know, this means being the worst team in order to get the best player in the following years draft, or in this case sucking to get more prize money). I have boosted the reputation of the USA, and giving the league a high profile because I would like it to challenge the European leagues for big players. This does happen to a degree when I tested it, but that was only short term (5 years).

I have added no players, so ensure you start a new game with 'add players to playable teams ticked'. I did however add fake managers so that you do not have 32 teams without managers at the start of every game. Oh, and there is a bug that means the USA will always start in January regardless of any editor file. So either you must select another nation to start in June, or you can holiday to the end of the season.

Download from sendspace

Download link changed to include properly regionalised groups. That took less time that I thought, and thank you to Paulgerty.

Anyway, enjoy! And if you reuse the database as the basis for your own file do not forget to feed my ego (and give me a shout-out).

In the group stage - so Stage 1 - on the Group Settings Tab you need to specific regional settings for each group, starting with 0 being the first group up to 7 being the last. I think teams are organized based on their stadium data but can't remember for sure, it's either Stadium city or the coordinates.

I think it started at £20million and worked up to £30million for 1st to 4th in each division. I did not actually do a great deal of testing to balance the system, so I am not sure if it ever acheives parity. The real problem is with reputation I think - the teams who do badly lose a lot in reputation and this is hard to make normalised after a number of years.

The file really could do with some work on it, I really wanted to release the file more so people had a starting point for their own ideas rather than release a finished product.

• 8 months later...

Archived