Transfer Offers vs. Player Values

Alright - I've always had trouble with this area. I started a save as Wolves. The defense if pretty solid, the midfield needs work, the forwards are decent.

Right off the bat I get two transfer offers that are less than half of two players' values. They are both third or fourth in my depth chart, and would, in my mind, be pretty critical for a promotion run.

The problem is that they're offers from Championship sides. How does the game figure its offers? Am I going to lose the player anyway when he gets pissed off that I jacked his price up to his value? One player is Danny Batth. Game value L975k - offer from Leeds L400k - where does that number come from? I'd be actually willing to sell him for the chance to jack up my transfer kitty to strengthen my midfield, because I do still have some cover, I think. But not for L400k. Can someone enlighten me on the finance end of it? It's always been a little wonky to me.

Thanks.

Tranfers still seem very buggy, across about 10 seasons with various teams i've rarely sold a player for a above his value and if i have it hasn't been by much.

I had just made the premier league with wolves, Danny Batth has been my mainstay centerback with 2 years left on his contract and captain. Value is 3.6m and i get an offer from another relegation battler for 2.8m.

Most of my 1st team regulars only receive offers for their value.

Pro tip don't sell Danny Batth

If you keep negotiating, in most cases you should be able to get close to double their values - assuming of course the club has a major interest in them and other players of similar quality aren't available for transfer.

The only players I've sold for less than double their value are players I didn't want in the first place.

Is it possible this is hampering some peoples games?

I mean I get a lot of non-negotiable transfer bids that are extremely low (lower than value). When I get an enquiry, and I negotiate it to about 10-20% higher than his value, they back off.

Do you have to implement a lot of the clauses for negotiation to go better?

Ill be honest, Im also buying players at decent values (usually the guaranteed part is about their actual value but Im forced to pay clauses which add another 50% (achievable though like 50 appearances, per league appearances, etc...).

1) So when the original enquiry comes in what do you do?

2) You dont negotiate the first bid?

I have yet to receive an opening bid anywhere close to the value of the player.

Even when I offer out some of my stars just as a test, even as Blackburn, where wages/prices are not realistic and Im offering out on value, clubs dont come back with the right level offers.

There some players that are strangely in demand, for example in my test save Real Madrid hounded Antonio Valencia for almost the whole of July before I finally got sick of them and sold him to them for 32m, which is double Valencia's value. Pretty chuffed with the deal, it allowed me to bring in Lorenzo Insigne who is IMHO a much more effective player for my tactics as well as Sven Bender.

1) So when the original enquiry comes in what do you do?

2) You dont negotiate the first bid?

I have yet to receive an opening bid anywhere close to the value of the player.

Even when I offer out some of my stars just as a test, even as Blackburn, where wages/prices are not realistic and Im offering out on value, clubs dont come back with the right level offers.

I reject every bid, telling them the offer isn't good enough, until they come back with a bid that's higher than his actual value

I then negotiate up to a (realistic) price I'd be willing to accept (which is about double value for most).

They often come back with a bid matching it. If they bid below, negotiate up again.

This is when bids come in for my players - if you offer players out then you're unlikely to get such good offers simply because you're letting everyone know you don't want them any more. It massively weakens your position.

I reject every bid, telling them the offer isn't good enough, until they come back with a bid that's higher than his actual value

I then negotiate up to a (realistic) price I'd be willing to accept (which is about double value for most).

They often come back with a bid matching it. If they bid below, negotiate up again.

This is when bids come in for my players - if you offer players out then you're unlikely to get such good offers simply because you're letting everyone know you don't want them any more. It massively weakens your position.

Ok interesting. Although one drawback is immediately unsettling your player due to rejected bids, and his agent asking for a better contract, even though this rarely happens with AI players in the same extreme when your bid is rejected. I assume when an enquiry comes in you say he is indispensable or do you provide a value there too?

Have you had experience with a lot of non-negotiable bids?

I've not received a non-negotiable bid yet.

If they complain about rejecting bids or want a better contract, there's plenty of options to deal with that through player interaction.

I usually use "Hey, if they bid something near your true worth to the team, I'll accept the bid" and "you've got years left on your contract, it's far too early to be discussing a new one".

Or if it's a player I don't really want to sell, I'll just give them the new contract.

All - thanks for the replies - been away from the PC over the weekend.

Having just taken over, and always struggling with this aspect of the game anyway, I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot with the players.

I'll let you know how it goes :) Cheers!

Where do you generally initially set asking price for players you are attempting to offload? I used to set it at 1.5x value but if there's more room for negotiation in FM14 maybe I should start at 2x or 2.5x value?

If it's someone I'm trying to get rid of, I offer out at actual value and then reduce the value by 25% each time I have to offer him out just to get rid.

If it's someone I wouldn't mind selling, but don't really want to, I'll over out at about 175% value and again reduce by 25% each time until I decide to keep him - but I haven't tried this in FM13, I've only sold players I definitely didn't want.

If it's someone I don't want to sell, it depends on the amount of teams interested and just how much I want to keep him, it'll be anything from 175% to 500%. 500% has rarely been taken up, even in FM13.

Archived