Never Play Better Against 10 Men

I've tried countering, controlling, balanced, playing wider and attacking the opposition when they have a man sent off, yet they score 9/10 times even though we should dictate the play more often than not.

What do people do to take advantage? Controlling the game and playing wider seems the logical solution but it doesn't seem to work. Attacking always leads to us conceding though.

I get my boys to retain possession, it brings the opposition further up the pitch, alongside play ball out of defence, put on my fast players (if any on the bench), try more through balls, with my quickest striker, running onto ball, play wider and turn both my wingers into support wingers so balls get into the box more often for my target striker. I always play counter attack so i would say turn that option on. This way ill score 9 times out of 10.

Hope this helps

I change nothing. Of course, I already play an attacking 343 where at least one usually two of the three strikers are big, strong target men, so I guess playing against parked buses is sort of what I do to begin with. Them going from Defensive to Contain doesn't really change how the match progresses.

I have a few "tricks" up my sleeve if I for some reason fail to break them down:

A. Be patient (the goal usually comes, even if it is in the 93rd minute) i.e continue to change nothing.

B1. Play wider and go from Attacking to Standard or Counter.

B2. Go from More Direct to Shorter passing.

C. Move the central Trequartista striker to AMC position as Trequartista and set both wingers to Attack; Exploit the Flanks (this creates more space for the wingers). In other words - if it looks like your wingers aren't getting enough space, change the formation so that they do.

D. Go Overload.

E. OI; max out all instructions on their single striker.

Which one to choose when is a decision based on a million different things that can, for the sake of brevity, be boiled down to "gut feeling".

From what I've found, it usually relates strongly with how the opposition team reacts to it; If their stupid enough to keep playing as open/attacking and do not replace the sent off player (if he was a defender or defensive midfielder) to replace the gap in their defence then I duly begin to tare them apart and win by loads of goals.

On the other hand if they go into complete lock down and strictly only attack on the counter then I will more often then not really struggle to break them down as it means they are playing way more defensive then any usual team would, or even worse, fall victim to one of their counters. I find its even worse if you are heavy favourites/playing at home, as in that case they play even more defensive.

In one of my recent games against Walsall they had their right back and right midfielders sent off, for some odd reason the AI never reacted to this and left the whole right hand side (my left wingers side) of the pitch empty. Quick switch of tactics to aim the ball down that side and a nice easy 4-0 win!

I agree though, generally I struggle to break 10 man teams down, I think I am too careful, I never want to go gung ho encase they counter and nick a goal

Archived