Any advice on how to create an effective 4-1-3-2 formation?

4-1-3-2 (One defensive midfielder and three central midfielders)

I have world class players, yet can't get them to dominate matches. I've tried all the preset tactics; Counter and Attacking etc. In addition to modified ones but they only seem to work for a two or three matches, then falter.

I just want some ideas please. I've never found playing FM so difficult before.

Talk us through your tactic. What roles have you assigned, team tactics, individual player tactics etc. Screenshots would be even easier!

A 4-1-3-2 can be a very effective formation if you have the right balance of roles across the team. It's just striking that balance with the players you have!

I had a very good 4-1-3-2 working well in my Celtic save. I even knocked Bayern out of the CL in the second round drawing away and winning at home.

For me the strategy depends on the standard of opposition and also the players roles depend on the players at your disposal. My 4-1-3-2 was based on Pekerman's Argentina from the World Cup in 2002 but Kris Commons is no Riquelme so the AP attack role I had set became a MC attack.

The basic rule I'd say for defending well is have centre halves and possible an anchorman who are good in the air. You'll probably have teams crossing the ball more often than using another tactic but if you can win those headers who cares?

Attacking wise your strength is through the middle but I'd suggest having one striker drop off. And get decent, quick fullbacks.

The main thing though is to think through your players and the tactics, give them time to play the tactic and gel and keep watching to see where it can be tweaked.

If you desperately need more possession use the shouts. I used to kill games by using a shout group I called keep ball. Retain possession, play out from the back, work ball into box and pass to feet.

I like the 4-1-3-2 & 4-3-1-2 formations and use them all the time in this year's FM but I still haven't quite mastered them yet, my downfall though is I don't watch games an prefer to play on commentary so that's probaly why I struggle a bit with them. What player roles did you use for the Midfield Hagi_07?

DMC - anchorman defend (Wanyama)

Mcr - centre mid support (Brown)

MC - cenre mid attack (Kayal)

MCl - centre mid support (Ledley)

Very simple but then with those players, they're all hard working kind of general purpose midfielders so that why I chose those roles. Originally the middle centre mid was and AP attack with dribbling set to sometimes but he was all over the place and getting in everyone else's way and the squad didn't have a decent AP.

I've been using a Counter attacking system - Narrow width and quick pace, with a normal defensive line and time wasting. This averages around 78% in pass completion, 75% tackles won but low headers won, 65%. Possession averages at around 45%.

As for player roles, i have an Anchorman behind a midfield three of DLP (d), AP (A) and a CM (s). Ideally i want my advanced playmaker to be carrying the ball through the middle, having midfield options out wide in support and the strikers to always be ahead of him centrally but he gets closed down too often and passes out wide to the fullback, who crosses the ball in and we score.

I've also noted that my team never fully plays in the oppostion half and on the heat map barely makes it past the halfway line.

Further up i use a Poacher and an Advanced Striker.

The defense is fine and rarely concede.

Does (narrow width and quick pace, with a normal defensive line and time wasting) mean you are manually altering sliders?

Poacher and advanced striker is a horrible combination with no AMC or high wide players. Neither will drop deep, meaning you have to play accurate, long passes to feed them. Major disconnect between attack and midfield.

Midfield roles seem OK. What are your FB roles/duties?

Does (narrow width and quick pace, with a normal defensive line and time wasting) mean you are manually altering sliders?

Poacher and advanced striker is a horrible combination with no AMC or high wide players. Neither will drop deep, meaning you have to play accurate, long passes to feed them. Major disconnect between attack and midfield.

Midfield roles seem OK. What are your FB roles/duties?

Yes, i've manually altered those two sliders but none of the player instructions or anything else for that matter.

I've noticed the lack of cohesive play and disconnect between midfield and attack, and it it now makes sense.

The full backs are both set on automatic roles but are naturally attacking.

I had a very good 4-1-3-2 working well in my Celtic save. I even knocked Bayern out of the CL in the second round drawing away and winning at home.

For me the strategy depends on the standard of opposition and also the players roles depend on the players at your disposal. My 4-1-3-2 was based on Pekerman's Argentina from the World Cup in 2002 but Kris Commons is no Riquelme so the AP attack role I had set became a MC attack.

The basic rule I'd say for defending well is have centre halves and possible an anchorman who are good in the air. You'll probably have teams crossing the ball more often than using another tactic but if you can win those headers who cares?

Attacking wise your strength is through the middle but I'd suggest having one striker drop off. And get decent, quick fullbacks.

The main thing though is to think through your players and the tactics, give them time to play the tactic and gel and keep watching to see where it can be tweaked.

If you desperately need more possession use the shouts. I used to kill games by using a shout group I called keep ball. Retain possession, play out from the back, work ball into box and pass to feet.

Thanks. I'll try an even the team out then.

Yes, i've manually altered those two sliders but none of the player instructions or anything else for that matter.

I've noticed the lack of cohesive play and disconnect between midfield and attack, and it it now makes sense.

The full backs are both set on automatic roles but are naturally attacking.

Why have you altered them? It stops you from being able to react dynamically. Why not just use the passing adjustments and shouts to increase the tempo and width when it seems suitable to do so.

I don't understand what you mean by naturally attacking.

Narrow formations require at least one WB or FB/A to provide width. It's not just about supply, it's about getting in front of the ball carrier to stretch the defence and create space for the central players.

As you can see some of the coaches are absolute **** and will have to go. The fitness coaches inparticular are shocking and will be the first to be addressed I think. I'll go into details about which coaches I hired and Fired a little further down.

Narrow formations require at least one WB or FB/A to provide width. It's not just about supply, it's about getting in front of the ball carrier to stretch the defence and create space for the central players.

Thanks, i'll try that.

Archived