FMO Help Thread - Ask All Your Questions In Here!!!!

Andy H

it cant be the internet as im connectin, when the host clicks continue the timer comes on my end so the connection is grand, its just tat i cant pass the screen to take a job over or go onto anyscreen, even tho on my brothers end it has im connected and im unemployed..

anyone wit this problem and managed to fix it, let us kno thanks??

guyatt

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flint:

All of those who had no problems with 07 and now are having loads with 08. What are your operating systems?

I have windows XP service pack 2. Just wondering if it was something to do with that.

Oh and is there some sort of patch coming to fix this? The lack of direct support from sigames is quite frankly ridiculous. A big thanks to all those trying to help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do not start blaming the game as there are already a few games up and running in this forum so something tells me its not the game at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but why is it so hard to get an online game going? theres enough online games which work fine...fm07...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by inMee:

Operating system? Windows XP

Service packs installed? no

Net connection? 4 meg

ISP? Virgin

Router involved? Bulldog WYR-G54 i think

Anti virus software? avast

Firewall software? windows firewall

Tried what was posted in FAQ and help... not worked and no have no idea what else to do, my m8 has done that aswell =/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you configured your router properly using the guide for FM06 on portforward.com?

It could be you have missed something during configuring your router. If not try the work around at the bottom of the opening post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hi, I'm having problems with setting up a network game.

SP: not sure

Net connection 20mb

ISP: Virgin Media

Router: Scientific Atlanta EPC2100R2

AV: Norton 360

Firewall: disabled

I tried going through the link about forwarding ports but my routher was not listed, and the only other one by Scientific atlanta did not list FM 08, only FM05 and 06.

I would really appreciate some advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saints ledgend:

here goes

All me mates are telling me that i need 2 forward my ports ive had a look on the website and my rounter is netgear but i need to no all the numbers etc and im struggeling a bit finding out where they say it does anyone now where i can see which netgear router i have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure the process will be the same for different types of netgear router. The number should be on your router on look at the netgear website and look for the router yout hink you have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Thorpe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hi, I'm having problems with setting up a network game.

SP: not sure

Net connection 20mb

ISP: Virgin Media

Router: Scientific Atlanta EPC2100R2

AV: Norton 360

Firewall: disabled

I tried going through the link about forwarding ports but my routher was not listed, and the only other one by Scientific atlanta did not list FM 08, only FM05 and 06.

I would really appreciate some advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Follow the guide for FM05 or 06 as the process is exactly the same.

I had no problem hosting games with fm07. With fm08 when my mate try to join a game I can see him appearing for half a second and then he disappears. He doesnt receive any messages, simply stays in the network page. It looks like there is something blocking him when he joins.

Any advice? Firewalls problem? Even if we tryed with them off as well...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Enforcer:

Yes I can confirm that I am also having this problem. My mate and I can both create and join FM2008 network games on our respective PC's in our flat as we could with FM2007. I honestly couldn't tell you whether the network game is via the internet or the LAN, such is my limited technical knowledge.

When he tried to join my savegame, he had exactly the same problem that you had. We tried switching it around (my machine is slightly more powerful) and when I tried to join his savegame it slowed for a bit, but I got in and it was business as usual. However, when we continue the game, as it moves on it kicks me out to the game status screen. I have to re-join, which doesn't take very long and the game does progress, but on one occasion as a result of being booted I missed out on being able to respond to a news item. Only a few days into the game so far, so it remains to be seen as to whether this problem continues.

This doesn't sound like a firewall or router problem as I would have thought under those circumstances a connection would be blocked period. Neither of us have installed the beta patch yet, which I have only found out about today, so maybe that should be the initial task?

Operating system? XP (both machines)

Service packs installed? Yes (Windows downloads updates automatically on both machines)

Net connection? 1MB

ISP? Nildram

Router involved? Alcatel

Anti virus software? Sophos

Firewall software? Windows + Sophos

I also should mention that this issue has been raised several times in the bugs forum and one or two posters have been referred to this forum for assistance:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWor...Type=1&search=Search </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found out what make the router is - see above. I have tried the patch, but it still kicks me out and I tried a new multiplayer network game and it kicks me out of that also. Additionally, at one point when I moved the game on and it didn't kick me out it played a friendly match instead of letting me control it (as if I had assistant in control of friendlies - which I did not). Clearly this is unplayable.

A progress report with my network problem - I started to follow the technical advice set out in the link in the first post, but got stuck, because my router is old and I couldn't find the 'real' name servers (it uses a bogus one or something for some reason!?!).

I then rang a techie friend and he (like my initial hunch) did not think that my "kickout" issue was down to a firewall or router settings being incorrect (otherwise the connection wouldn't work in the first place) He suggested that my problem could be to do with the link speed of the router - it's 5 years old and only 10Mpbs and that it may be struggling to handle the processing of FM2008 data across the LAN. He's got one that's 100Mpbs that he's not using, so he's kindly agreed to come over and connect that up on Tuesday lunchtime. So I'll report back after then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EXhoekor:

hey .. whats the difference between short term games n long term games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short term, usually a season at the most.

Long term, games that run and run and run and run.

Some clan games have ran for 20+ seasons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powlay:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EXhoekor:

hey .. whats the difference between short term games n long term games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short term, usually a season at the most.

Long term, games that run and run and run and run.

Some clan games have ran for 20+ seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For evidence, check out league tables for 2007 Spanish Inquisition, got to 2029 in the end!

Operating system = XP media center

Service packs installed = sp2

ISP = unknown

Router involved = belkein 54g

Anti virus software = avg and norton

Firewall software = Windows Defender and norton personal firewall

i am trying to join a clan game thru hamachi, i get connected to the correct network but i am unable to connect to it on FM at the network screen? can u help

ok a quick one for you.....

Can the host run Fm08 orignial still ok with a few of the other members having installed the Beta?

Will it run as per the Original as its the host server?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m_o_t_m:

ISP = unknown

i am trying to join a clan game thru hamachi, i get connected to the correct network but i am unable to connect to it on FM at the network screen? can u help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please post in proper english and not 'text speak' thanks as its part of the house guidelines on these forums.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

ok a quick one for you.....

Can the host run Fm08 orignial still ok with a few of the other members having installed the Beta?

Will it run as per the Original as its the host server? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure but going by previous versions either the host gets the patch or all users must take the patch away.

Hi there is was just wondering how players coming on and offline work.

Does everyone need to be online at the same time to play?

What happens is one player has to disconnect for some reason? Can the rest carry on?

Does the host who creates the game always have to be the one to start the next session?

Can the host basically just carry on in the season while others are not online?

If there is any other questions along this line that i have missed could someone please tell me.

Thanks

Operating system = windows vista

Service packs installed = no

Net connection = 16mb

ISP = sky broadband

Router involved = yes, Netgear DG834GT i think

Anti virus software = none

Firewall software = windows defender

is there anything special about sky ive tried port fowarding but it didnt work

Operating system? XP

Service packs installed? Not that I know of

Net connection? 54Mbps

ISP? Wanadoo (Think it may have been bought out by Orange?)

Router involved? Yes- Have forwarded the ports. Belkin F5D7632-4

Anti virus software? Avast

Firewall software? Windows

Have tried all sorts of stuff to get it working (FM 2007) but still no success, always comes up saying "Unable to connect to server".

Any ideas anyone?

I havant forwarded my ports but i dont wont too host so i dont need to do that im trying to join a few games and the thing is is when i try to join a game i type in the ip and the screen goes away and it doesnt freeze but it just stays on the same screen ive turned of my firewall.

thanks in advance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CalamityDaunt:

Hi there is was just wondering how players coming on and offline work.

Does everyone need to be online at the same time to play?

What happens is one player has to disconnect for some reason? Can the rest carry on?

Does the host who creates the game always have to be the one to start the next session?

Can the host basically just carry on in the season while others are not online?

If there is any other questions along this line that i have missed could someone please tell me.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. No

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

ISP = unknown

i am trying to join a clan game through hamachi, i get connected to the correct network but i am unable to connect to it on FM at the network screen? can u help

Operating system? XP

Service packs installed? No

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? Sky Broadband

Router involved? Netgear DG834GT

Anti virus software? McAfee

Firewall software? McAfee/Windows

Hopefully you can help.

I've followed the port forwarding instructions so that I can run as server. I now only have one IP whereas before I had two in the 'Game Status'.

However my friends can't connect to this online game. They have tried forwarding their ports. Do they forward to their IP address or my new single one?

Also, forgive me here but I am giving them the correct IP information aren't I? The one stated in 'Game Status'

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easty:

Operating system? XP

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? Sky Broadband

Hopefully you can help.

I've followed the port forwarding instructions so that I can run as server. I now only have one IP whereas before I had two in the 'Game Status'.

However my friends can't connect to this online game. They have tried forwarding their ports. Do they forward to their IP address or my new single one?

Also, forgive me here but I am giving them the correct IP information aren't I? The one stated in 'Game Status'

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look on page one of this thread as there is a possible solution to your problem there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easty:

Operating system? XP

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? Sky Broadband

Hopefully you can help.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look on page one of this thread as there is a possible solution to your problem there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, which part. They seem to have tried all of those.

Are you suggesting this part?

'Go to your router settings (type in 192.168.0.1 in IE. My router will probably be different to yours but i go into a tab called WAN setup and then check the box saying 'Default DMZ Server' again this might differ depending on your router, then it should be 192.168.0.?? the last number/s you can change, change this to your local IP which you can find out in football manager, apply this and your internet will restart (make sure all your ports are open with this ip also) and then HAZAR! It's fixed.'

Yes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK cheers for that.

So if when they check football manager for their IP to enter here and they still have two IP's, am I right to presume they haven't port forwared correctly?

Obviously it is their IP address they are port forwarding isn't it? Not the one I'm giving them to use to join the online game?

Yes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK cheers for that.

So if when they check football manager for their IP to enter here and they still have two IP's, am I right to presume they haven't port forwared correctly?

Obviously it is their IP address they are port forwarding isn't it? Not the one I'm giving them to use to join the online game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had always thought if you two IP's then you had a router and you gave anyone trying to join your game the second IP.

However this does not seem to be the case for some even if they have routers as they seem to get one IP. This lad Flint seems to have created a work around by playing about with his router settings.

People joining your game do not need to forward their ports although they do not need to configure their firewalls to allow FM, only the host if they have a router need to forward ports to allow everyone else to join.

Yes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK cheers for that.

Obviously it is their IP address they are port forwarding isn't it? Not the one I'm giving them to use to join the online game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had always thought if you two IP's then you had a router and you gave anyone trying to join your game the second IP.

However this does not seem to be the case for some even if they have routers as they seem to get one IP. This lad Flint seems to have created a work around by playing about with his router settings.

People joining your game do not need to forward their ports although they do not need to configure their firewalls to allow FM, only the host if they have a router need to forward ports to allow everyone else to join. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to have hit a wall then.

Originally I set up a game as the host and I had 2 IP's - others tried both IP's and it didn't work.

I then forwarded my ports and got just one IP the next time I tried to host to which the other's still failed to join.

At least I know now that the others don't need to port forward to join.

Any ideas?

Flint's workaround??

I would try Flint's work around to see if that helps you out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried to set up another game and I get 'unable to start server' message. Could this be the problem? If so, any solutions?

ps. where is Flints workaround?

I would try Flint's work around to see if that helps you out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried to set up another game and I get 'unable to start server' message. Could this be the problem? If so, any solutions?

ps. where is Flints workaround? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may not have forwarded your ports properly or something else is blocking you from playing Fm such as a firewall. Did you use portforward.com to forward your ports?

This is Flint's work around - 'Go to your router settings (type in 192.168.0.1 in IE. My router will probably be different to yours but i go into a tab called WAN setup and then check the box saying 'Default DMZ Server' again this might differ depending on your router, then it should be 192.168.0.?? the last number/s you can change, change this to your local IP which you can find out in football manager, apply this and your internet will restart (make sure all your ports are open with this ip also) and then HAZAR! It's fixed.'

You may not have forwarded your ports properly or something else is blocking you from playing Fm such as a firewall. Did you use portforward.com to forward your ports?

This is Flint's work around - 'Go to your router settings (type in 192.168.0.1 in IE. My router will probably be different to yours but i go into a tab called WAN setup and then check the box saying 'Default DMZ Server' again this might differ depending on your router, then it should be 192.168.0.?? the last number/s you can change, change this to your local IP which you can find out in football manager, apply this and your internet will restart (make sure all your ports are open with this ip also) and then HAZAR! It's fixed.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did use that link for the ports, I've also tried the firewall and I've now tried Flints workaround still to no avail.

I'm struggling now.

I did use that link for the ports, I've also tried the firewall and I've now tried Flints workaround still to no avail.

I'm struggling now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I may be on to something now. I've just changed my firewall settings and I've just tried to host another one. This time I was asked to grant access to the internet to which I accepted.

I now have 2 IP's again in the 'game status'!Does this sound correct?

Do I give out the second IP?

OK, I may be on to something now. I've just changed my firewall settings and I've just tried to host another one. This time I was asked to grant access to the internet to which I accepted.

Do I give out the second IP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah give that one out and see if anyone can connect.

HI, I'm struggling to get involved in network play. I can host a game and people can connect to me as server, but I'm now trying to connect to someone else and it displays 'Cannot connect to server'. I've opened the ports and the firewall, hence why i could host a game. Other users can connect to the server and play, but not me.

I'm running on Mac OSX 3.9 and using a Belkin wireless router, any ideas, it's breaking my heart missing out.

Virgin media 2mb.

Guest ShiftySuperior

SP: don't really know

Net connection: 8MB

ISP: Virgin media

Router: Dlink di-624

Firewall: norton?

I played FM07 online with a friend via Hamachi. Now with fm08 this doesn't work anymore. There is no game coming up in the local network list... i tryed doing the port forwarding but it wanted me to have a static ip and that looked way to confusing for me! icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShiftySuperior:

SP: don't really know

Net connection: 8MB

ISP: Virgin media

Router: Dlink di-624

Firewall: norton?

I played FM07 online with a friend via Hamachi. Now with fm08 this doesn't work anymore. There is no game coming up in the local network list... i tryed doing the port forwarding but it wanted me to have a static ip and that looked way to confusing for me! icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

add me to msn list and i can help you do the port forwarding

Hi, my friend and I started a new network game (both using 8.0.1 beta) in FM 2008. For me, the host, gamespeed is perfect, for my friend who logs in to my server gamespeed is very slow (loading player profiles takes about 55 seconds each time!). Before we played FM 2006 and we didn't have any problems. We have no problems connecting and/or other issues, only the "speed" issue. Can anybody tell me how to solve this? Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by a31632:

Hi, my friend and I started a new network game (both using 8.0.1 beta) in FM 2008. For me, the host, gamespeed is perfect, for my friend who logs in to my server gamespeed is very slow (loading player profiles takes about 55 seconds each time!). Before we played FM 2006 and we didn't have any problems. We have no problems connecting and/or other issues, only the "speed" issue. Can anybody tell me how to solve this? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Turn off all logos, player pics etc and see if that helps. Any other programmes you have running close them and do not surf while you play as this also slows the game down.

You can also check to see what other processes you have running at the same time, if you press control, alt, delete it brings up the task manager. Check and see what else you have running. How much ram do you have as well and what connection do you have?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Enforcer:

Originally posted by The Enforcer:

Yes I can confirm that I am also having this problem. My mate and I can both create and join FM2008 network games on our respective PC's in our flat as we could with FM2007. I honestly couldn't tell you whether the network game is via the internet or the LAN, such is my limited technical knowledge.

When he tried to join my savegame, he had exactly the same problem that you had. We tried switching it around (my machine is slightly more powerful) and when I tried to join his savegame it slowed for a bit, but I got in and it was business as usual. However, when we continue the game, as it moves on it kicks me out to the game status screen. I have to re-join, which doesn't take very long and the game does progress, but on one occasion as a result of being booted I missed out on being able to respond to a news item. Only a few days into the game so far, so it remains to be seen as to whether this problem continues.

This doesn't sound like a firewall or router problem as I would have thought under those circumstances a connection would be blocked period. Neither of us have installed the beta patch yet, which I have only found out about today, so maybe that should be the initial task?

Service packs installed? Yes (Windows downloads updates automatically on both machines)

Net connection? 1MB

ISP? Nildram

Router involved? Alcatel

Anti virus software? Sophos

Firewall software? Windows + Sophos

I also should mention that this issue has been raised several times in the bugs forum and one or two posters have been referred to this forum for assistance:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWor...Type=1&search=Search

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many people is having this issue and the bug forum is sending us here where there is zero help. Ive had this problem since the game came out and ive seen no response to this problem.

Net connection? 8/1 mbit

ISP? Telia

Router involved? Zyxel

Anti virus software? Norton

Firewall software? Windows & Norton

Do I give out the second IP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah give that one out and see if anyone can connect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers for all your help icon14.gif

Looks like it was my firewall settings icon_smile.gif

Archived