Worst signing/failure to renew?

Lucas Leiva was on 65k a week and wanted 130k a week (he wasn't getting that) i tried everything under the sun to make him agree but no luck and was a few months away from his contract running out i was afraid of losing him on a free so i sold him for 35m plus sell-on, i regret not paying him that as i haven't been playing as well since he left, and i brought in no real replacement for him.

Yeah - I always check that now. I've moved Wrexham up from the BSP to the Championship and its a real issue now when players are wanting 10k plus a month.

Just checking out a hot attacking midfielder at the minute - could be a replacement for my accidentally lost winger :)

I don't know if that is sad or funny...WAIT, yes it's funny :lol:

Thanks. :(:)

I did that at Sunderland in FM2012.

Signed half a dozen players on about £40k p/w with the match highest earner clause on. I was a couple of seasons in and had shipped out my highest earners before these guys so they were already the highest earner at my club.

Next season I made a marquee signing (not going to say who) on a wage of £95k p/w, which instantly bumped my wage bill up by £330,000 on the other 6 players!

Needless to say I will never ever give any player that clause again!

Nor me now. It's basically a deal breaker now if the player won't budge on it. No matter how badly I want him.

The worst thing about losing that winger is that his wage demands were well in line with what I could afford.

I think the problem is that if you hit January 1st and you're over the wage budget, the board won't allow you to offer the kind of wages that players want to renew their contrcts. You then go out and get rid of a couple of players you don't need to free up the budget, by which time someone has sneaked in and beat you to the contract offer. ]

Would be nice to be able to say to the board - 'Let me have the money, I'll sell 'X' player in the next week' or so.

Or maybe not go over the budget in the first place ;)

The worst mistake i probably ever made signing wise. Nothing against Balotelli but basically i dislike his playing style and attitude. I had a Man City save on FM12 and pretty much looked to offload and replace him instantly. In the end i managed to get a swap deal for Pato. Who although is of similar ability i prefer him as a player. Taking City to the CL Final a few years later v Mario's Milan side.

He crushed me like a bug.

Not checking the "match highest earner" contract clause in a bunch of players I signed in one transfer window. It basically crippled my club, in a slow lingering painful death way. :D

I hate that. Connor Wickham has had 3 wage rises in the space of a few days :mad:.

Archived