[FM13] Travelling to Wembley in a Coach & Horses

chile_paul

Another new arrival to the squad, prompted by his agent getting in touch to offer his services. Martial started his career at Nice in the French league, but after a good first season in Ligue 1 during which he scored 7 goals in 31 appearances Nice decided to dispense of his services following their relegation. He went unsigned for 3 months before he was offered to me, he didn't remain unsigned much longer.

MartialCaceacuteregraves_OverviewProfile.png

He has however pushed the club over it's wage budget - it will be well worth it though if we get promoted.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was always going to be hard to maintain our run of form in November, and we certainly did falter - however we managed to stay unbeaten for most of the month, only falling to defeat once at home to Hull before bounding back to a convincing win at home to Derby County. Scott Dunlop who has previously been so reliable has really struggled this season and with his contract expiring at the end of the season I just wonder if his head is focussed on things other than playing football? He certainly isn't convincing me that I should be breaking the club's wage structure to keep him on beyond the end of the season yet........

The 2-2 result away to Swansea was particularly hard to take having been 2-0 up and flying after 15 minutes, they managed to fight back before half time to equalise before both teams had a player sent off in the second half.

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-2-2.png

Still sitting in the play-off spaces, but the top of the leagues is really, really tight

npowerFootballLeagueChampionship_OverviewStages-2-5.png

A really valiant attempt in the league cup, we matched Man City for most of the first half, they took the lead however and when Scott Dunlop missed an open goal on the stroke of half time our luck vanished. They came out much the stronger in the second half and strolled to a comfortable win - who knows what could have been if Dunlop had taken that chance........

SheffieldFC_FixturesSchedule-48.png

An absolutely stunning month in December, only prevented from being perfect thanks to a resolute performance by Notts County on the final day of the year.

Integral to our performances were both of my new signings with Mitskevich picking up 5 goals in 8 games (really pleased to see this as he had disappointed me to start with) and some stunning performances from Martial Caceres who may not have hit the back of the net too many times but had been integral to our play.

The month couldn't have started much better with a real smash and grab victory on the counter attack against 3rd placed Leicester City with goals neatly placed either side of half time, we then went on to hammer Bristol City away before breaking a club record with the humiliation of Sunderland in which Mitskevich picked up a stunning hattrick and young central defender Sam Duff scored his first goal for the club. The Cardiff game started out in a very different fashion, they took the lead twice but we fought back each time to go into half time all square, but after the break we restored our goal scoring form and picked up another 3 - we'd now scored 18 goals in 4 matches!

Against Sheffield Wednesday the game was even tighter, they were 2-0 up with 2 minutes to go before half time when Martial Caceres scored, again we came out of the break much stronger and scored in the 71st and 83rd minute to take the win. 2 further wins against Portsmouth and Birmingham City before Notts County managed to nick 2 points from us.

dyw3O34.png

We've been catapulted right up the table now and are really in the title race, at the very least I'm expecting a play-off place from this season now.

mB6KXqA.png

Really surprised that Dunlop has taken this award - Caceres and Mitskevich would have deserved it far more in my opinion

KbjioPJ.png

I won't say no to the manager of the month award though, let's just hope it doesn't jinx our form

npkR6kF.png

We really returned to Earth with a bump in January after a high flying December - having drawn our last game we were desperate to return to a winning formula away to Wolves; they had been playing in the Premier League last season but were having a shocking run and were hugging close to the relegation zone at the bottom of the table, as a result I probably went in a little bit Gung Ho and ended up losing 1-0 thanks to a midfield masterclass from Ross Barkley.

We responded magnificently with a great counter attacking win against top of the table Burnley before slipping up once again to a bottom half team in a heavy 3-0 defeat against QPR. We then had to fight back twice as Coventry City took the lead and we eventually slipped our noses in front, going 3-2 up before they fired back in with an equaliser of their own.

w6bzhGJ.png

Certainly not a disaster as we hang onto second place, but Burnley have now moved 7 points clear. That 4-3 victory may be crucial in keeping them at the end of a leash come the end of the season.

EUptczI.png

The FA Cup was really hard work this season and frankly pales to insignificance for the first time in this career compared to the importance of securing Premier League football. We really struggled against local side Sheffield United (now in League 1) and had to rely on a replay which we won eventually. We then took an early lead away to Hull in the 4th round, but frustratingly once Hull went down to 10 men they started playing much better and we couldn't hold out, eventually conceding the game in the 90th minute.

tQCoS2t.png

One arrival to mention in the January transfer window, Chris Ford joining to bolster my options in goal.

dqDSI5h.png

.......and we're right back on track now after a stunning February. We were unlucky to be 1-0 down at half time home versus Everton and after telling my players exactly that they managed to find some real self belief and came back out and produced a stunning come back to win 4-1, including a stunning 30 yard free kick from Vladislav Mitskevich which curled into the top right hand corner of the net, despairingly out of the clutches of the Everton goalkeeper.

We went on to collect a further 6 points at home - we went 2-0 up against Leeds within 20 minutes and somehow managed to withstand an onslaught as they played us off the park for the remaining 70 minutes and after Trystan Smith gave us the lead against Doncaster Rovers we held out in a nervy game.

L2VA77p.png

A bit of a gap now starting to develop between us and third place now, and Burnley are only a point away......

l5L27FC.png

I'll take the award with pride, please don't let it affect our form

srWaXIe.png

The month started in frustrating fashion as 24th placed Watford scored twice in 2 minutes to take 2 points off us and salvage a draw after we had taken the lead. We weren't to be put off our title chase though and recovered with a 4-2 win against 23rd placed Brighton and Hove Albion; the game wasn't without it's scares though - we had been cruising at 3-0 at half time only to see Brighton pull 2 goals back and get within a one goal margin - luckily we held out and eventually extended our lead in the 73rd minute to make the final 15 minutes far more comfortable.

Two goals either side of half time gave us a comfortable victory over Crystal Palace and it was looking as if we were going to have another successful month when we took the lead against play-off contenders and FA Cup semi-finalists Peterborough United, but two defensive errors allowed them to steal the 3 points and keep the title race strongly in Burnley's hands.

XidWgUh.png

It certainly isn't all over yet, but I think there is a good chance that Sheffield may be seeing Premier League football next season........

8O6fATi.png

One final Eastern European addition to the squad with thanks to his agent who approached the club. Alimov is in a very similar form to Mitskevich who has been a revelation since he joined, the only difference is he plays on the left wing rather than the right - a bonus really as Nelson who currently occupies that position is at the end of his contract this season and isn't really good enough to move the club forward.

kJZ1IRc.png

I have to say that I'm not surprised by this news, he's just asking for higher wages than I'm prepared to pay him - however my strategy at the start of the year has paid off, I sold Sam Gallagher who was in exactly the same position as Dunlop (contract expiring and not willing to discuss reasonable terms) to make sure my losses were limited and with the money that we bought in I strengthened my striking options. As a result, Dunlop is no longer the key player he was at the end of last season and whilst I'm disappointed to be missing out on a reasonable transfer fee this won't be the disaster that it could have been.

X23Tsph.png

Another fantastic month which sees us confirm promotion to the Premier League next season. We really dominated the first three games of the month, starting with a fantastic 2-0 win against play-off candidates Norwich, we then continued to beat Hull City getting revenge for when they knocked us out of the FA Cup and we confirmed our promotion with a really strong performance as we beat Derby County 3-0.

Clearly however the celebratory party after that result had an impact as we headed into the next game, knowing that we needed to continue our winning formula to maintain pressure on top of the table Burnley - Cardiff were far too strong in the first half pushing into a 1-0 lead which they extended to 3-0 by the hour mark. We managed to fight back, but all too late with goals in the 77th and 87th minute to recover a respectable scoreline, but the result was enough to confirm Burnley as Champions.

With nothing left to play for I fielded much weakened sides for the remaining two games and was encouraged to see 6 points in the bag with home victories against play-off contenders Leicester City and another strong side in Swansea - things continue to look good for the future therefore, even so, staying in the Premier League will be a big ask next season!

TsIfVky.png

Loving the look of this table, just a shame that Burnley were just too strong for me to take the title along with promotion. In 6 of the last 8 seasons 92 points would have been enough to lift the trophy. :rolleyes:

Ll1gxTJ.png

No surprise with this news...... and we'll be off to yet another stadium whilst ours is improved, given we'll only be at circa 11,000 seats when the work is complete I expect we may see further moves in the next few years - we've surely now been playing in other stadiums for more time than we've been playing in our own??

3Pg4KUS.png

ITs8pet.png

My normal annual update on the goings on in world football:

• Tony Pulis retired from football after many successful years at the helm of Stoke City. His biggest success was in lifting the Europa League with Stoke in 2016 and he is widely respected for turning them into a solid Premier League team. The fans will be hoping that his successor can now build on that reputation to move the club forward
  • Carlo Ancelotti almost managed a stunning performance with Valencia in the Spanish League, after beating Barcelona in the penultimate game of the season to take 1st position in the table all they needed was one more win to become the first team to knock Barcelona and Real Madrid off the top of the table for 16 years. Alas, the pressure got to the team and they lost to 7th placed Villareal allowing Andre Villas-Boas's Barcelona to retain the title and Real Madrid snuck into 2nd place having had a horrendous start to the season which had seen them drop to 6th place at the half way stage.
  • Antonio Conte staked his claim as the most successful Italian manager of all time as he led his Chelsea side to the Premier League title as well as Champions League glory
  • Saint-Etienne produced a shock as they stormed to the top of the French league, becoming the first side to knock either PSG or Lille from the top spot for many years. Toulouse were also a shock in second place with Lille back in third and PSG in a very disappointing 5th place
  • In Italy there was a shock as well as Juventus failed to win the Serie A title for the first time in 10 years. Instead it was Jugen Klopp's AC Milan side who lifted the Scudetto as well as the Coppa Italia for the second season running
  • In Scotland Celtic made a return to winning ways as they took the Premier League title having disappointed for the last 4 seasons. They had to fight off a very strong challenge from St. Mirren however who are really helping, along with Motherwell and Partick Thistle to make the Scottish league much more open than in the days when the Old Firm could be guaranteed to walk away with the title. St. Mirren eventually fell away to 4th place having been leading the table with only 3 games to play. Rangers finished a disappointing 5th place.
  • Scottish Premier League title winning manager of Motherwell, John Terry, didn't stay at the club long into the 2020/21 season, deciding instead that the challenge of trying to beat the big 2 in Spain was more to his liking along with the sunnier climate, and therefore jumping at the chance to go and manage Real Sociedad after they had sacked another famous England international defender, Stuart Pearce.
  • After Man City failed to qualify for the Champions League for the 3rd consecutive season, Chairman Al Mubarak decided that a change at the helm was necessary. Luciano Spalletti was asked to clear his desk after only 15 months in charge, but the Citizens supportes were less than enamoured at his choice of replacement. Ex England defender Chris Powell has done a decent job at maintaining Aston Villa as a mid table side in the Premier League but with only a League Cup victory to his name as manager at Swansea City he is not regarded as the calibre of manager that the fans want to lift City back to the top of the Permier League
  • In a great season for clubs in the Sheffield region, not only did Sheffield FC get promoted to the Premier League but Sheffield United returned to the Championship, finishing in 2nd place in League 1 just behind Chesterfield who will be playing in the Championship for the first time since 1950. The Spireites fans are delighted with the performances of their team and the leadership of young and talented manager Scott Robertson who has only been at the club for a year having had a successful playing career with Hearts where he was also capped twice by the Scottish national team
  • Stoke City and Aston Villa have both looked to Portugal for their next managers, appointing the managers of Benfica and Sporting Lisbon respectively. Bessa, the ex Sporting Lisbon boss and new manager of Aston Villa currently has the bragging rights having just lifted the Liga ZON Sagres title with Benifca's manager Paulo Sergio leaving the club in 3rd place before he moved to Stoke. However Sergio had lifted the title the season previously and both will be looking forward to renewing their rivalry in England next season
  • Sergio Ramos retired after a very respectable career as a defender for Spain and Real Madrid. When he joined Real in 2005 he was the most expensive defender in football history. He helped Real lift the La Liga title on 10 occassions and lifted the Champions League trophy once. He has now moved onto a career as a Fitness coach for Porto.

200px-Sheffield_FC_svg.png

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Review - 2020/21 - Sheffield FC

nPower Championship

Final League Position: 2nd (Promoted)

A stunning season far exceeding my early expectations, however the early arrivals of two players with immense quality in Vladislav Mitskevich and Martial Caceres really allowed us to set our goals and vision higher and we really capitalised on the catalyst of their arrival to snatch promotion fairly comfortably in the end.

League Cup

Competition Performance: Quarter Final

A fantastic run taking us further than we've ever been before in this competition, until the eventual runners-up Man City overpowered us.

FA Cup

Competition Performance: 4th Round

A real struggle for some reason this year, we struggled to make it past local rivals Sheffield United, requiring a replay in the 3rd round, before we were beaten by Championship side Hull City after taking an early lead

Squad

Mitskevich and Caceres were the stand out performers this season with George Taylor and Trystan Smith also deserving special mention, but over and above this I was really pleased with how well some of the youngsters that I bought into the side performed - Schaap, Pohl, O'Brien and Duff all had really solid seasons and bolstered my options across the squad significantly - in previous seasons I would have sent these guys on loan but I'm really pleased that I kept them all at home and gave them a chance to perform.

Transfers - Finances

A significant net profit on transfers helped us out financially this season, but the £5m+ that is being spent on increasing the stadium capacity has blown that out of the water. I fully expect that a season of Premier League TV revenues will make this look considerably more healthy by this time next year

My Top 3 Players

Vladislav Mitskevich - Wow, an incredible performance from the Belarusian as he destroyed defence after defence. He finished with 20 goals and 16 assists from the right wing. He was awarded the Championship player of the year award and named in the PFA Championship team of the year.

Martial Caceres - His 15 goals from when he joined in November were really important, but equally important was his build up play for the team - 12 assists and an average rating of 7.71 which breaks the Sheffield FC record for highest average rating over a season show just what an important player he has been for the team.

George Taylor - Tempted to award 3rd place to Trystan Smith but that would have been more for sentimental reasons than anything else. Instead the award has gone to George Taylor who after an injury hit season last time out has performed consistently well this year. His stats aren't as good as his performances suggest, but this recognition (and the Fan's Player of the Year award) are well deserved.

Fans Player of the Season - George Taylor

Best Eleven - 2020 / 2021

Best Eleven - All Time

What's Next?

An incredibly tough battle to survive in the top flight

A sad day for one of the club's iconic players - I really wish him every future success in his future career, the club will move on without him.

5qJh4cb.png

U8JIt51.png

Having said that, he's currently on trial with a Premier League rival - Ipswich Town - therefore I hop he isn't too successful!

Congrats on a very comfortable promotion. That budget isn't much to go on however.

Thanks, the budget is really challenging - my highest paid player is on £10k per week, no other Premier League team has more than 3 players who are paid less than that. I've managed to shift my overall wage budget to about £150k by reducing transfer funds, but if I can pull survival off on this budget it will be a miracle.

What went on Elsewhere?

English Premier League

2012/13
-
1st
Arsenal
2nd
Man United
3rd
Newcastle Utd
4th
Tottenham -
Relegated
Wigan, Southampton, Norwich

2013/14
-
1st
Man United
2nd
Chelsea
3rd
Man City
4th
Arsenal -
Relegated
Leicester City, Everton, QPR

2014/15
-
1st
Chelsea
2nd
Man Utd
3rd
Man City
4th
Stoke City -
Relegated
Wolves, Blackburn, Milwall

2015/16
-
1st
Man Utd
2nd
Arsenal
3rd
Newcastle Utd
4th
Chelsea -
Relegated
Swansea City, Wigan, Bolton

2016/17
-
1st
Man Utd
2nd
Man City
3rd
Arsenal
4th
Newcastle United -
Relegated
Southampton, Ipswich Town, Reading

2017/18
-
1st
Man Utd
2nd
Chelsea
3rd
Man City
4th
Newcastle United -
Relegated
Burnley, Wigan Athletic, Milwall

2018/19
-
1st
Chelsea
2nd
Arsenal
3rd
Liverpool
4th
Man Utd -
Relegated
Leicester City, Sunderland, Ipswich Town

2019/20
-
1st
Newcastle United
2nd
Liverpool
3rd
Chelsea
4th
Man Utd -
Relegated
WBA, Wolves, Burnley

2020/21
-
1st
Chelsea
2nd
Newcastle United
3rd
Liverpool
4th
Man Utd -
Relegated
Huddersfield Town, Millwall, Wigan Athletic

FA Cup

2012/13
-
Winners
QPR
Runners-Up
West Brom

2013/14
-
Winners
Chelsea
Runners-Up
Leicester City

2014/15
-
Winners
Man City
Runners-Up
West Brom

2015/16
-
Winners
Man City
Runners-Up
Blackpool

2016/17
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Chelsea

2017/18
-
Winners
Newcastle United
Runners-Up
Liverpool

2018/19
-
Winners
Arsenal
Runners-Up
Chelsea

2019/20
-
Winners
Chelsea
Runners-Up
Man United

2020/21
-
Winners
Newcastle United
Runners-Up
Aston Villa

League Cup

2012/13
-
Winners
Reading
Runners-Up
Bolton

2013/14
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Arsenal

2014/15
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Reading

2015/16
-
Winners
Swansea City
Runners-Up
Everton

2016/17
-
Winners
Liverpool
Runners-Up
West Brom

2017/18
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Man City

2018/19
-
Winners
Liverpool
Runners-Up
Chelsea

2019/20
-
Winners
Man City
Runners-Up
Fulham

2020/21
-
Winners
Newcastle United
Runners-Up
Man City

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Liga BBVA

2012/13
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Barcelona
3rd
Valencia
4th
Getafe -
Relegated
Espanyol, Real Valladolid, Osasuna

2013/14
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Valencia
3rd
Barcelona
4th
Real Zaragoza -
Relegated
Rayo Vallecano, Celta Vigo, Deportivo de la Coruna

2014/15
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Barcelona
3rd
Valencia
4th
Sevilla -
Relegated
Sporting Gijon, RCD Mallorca, Numancia

2015/16
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Barcelona
3rd
Valencia
4th
Sevilla -
Relegated
Racing Club Santander, Osasuna, Alaves

2016/17
-
1st
Barcelona
2nd
Real Madrid
3rd
Atletico Madrid
4th
Valencia -
Relegated
Hercules CF, CD Numancia, RCD Mallorca

2017/18
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Barcelona
3rd
Valencia
4th
Sevilla -
Relegated
Levante UD, Osasuna, Tenerife

2018/19
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Barcelona
3rd
Atletico Madrid
4th
Sevilla -
Relegated
Deportivo de la Coruna, Alaves, Recreativo de Huelva

2019/20
-
1st
Real Madrid
2nd
Barcelona
3rd
Valencia
4th
Villarreal -
Relegated
Getafe, Levante UD, Espanyol

2020/21
-
1st
Barcelona
2nd
Real Madrid
3rd
Valencia
4th
Sevilla -
Relegated
Malaga CF, Tenerife, UD Almeria

Copa del Rey

2012/13
-
Winners
Valencia
Runners-Up
Real Madrid

2013/14
-
Winners
Barcelona
Runners-Up
Real Madrid

2014/15
-
Winners
Real Madrid
Runners-Up
Real Betis

2015/16
-
Winners
Barcelona
Runners-Up
Zaragoza

2016/17
-
Winners
Real Madrid
Runners-Up
Atletico Madrid

2017/18
-
Winners
Barcelona
Runners-Up
Villarreal

2018/19
-
Winners
Valencia
Runners-Up
Real Sociedad

2019/20
-
Winners
Barcelona
Runners-Up
Villareal

2020/21
-
Winners
Barcelona
Runners-Up
Real Madrid

Serie A TIM

2012/13
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
Fiorentina
3rd
Napoli
4th
AC Milan -
Relegated
Torino, Pescara, AC Siena

2013/14
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
AC Milan
3rd
Fiorentina
4th
AS Roma -
Relegated
Udinese, Chievo Verona, Sampdoria

2014/15
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
Fiorentina
3rd
AS Roma
4th
Parma -
Relegated
Empoli, Reggina, Cesena

2015/16
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
Napoli
3rd
Inter Milan
4th
Parma -
Relegated
Spezia, Chievo Verona, Atalanta

2016/17
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
Fiorentina
3rd
Inter Milan
4th
Napoli -
Relegated
Brescia, ASG Nocerina, Bologna

2017/18
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
AC Milan
3rd
Inter Milan
4th
AS Roma -
Relegated
Empoli, Pescara, Catania

2018/19
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
AC Siena
3rd
Napoli
4th
AC Milan -
Relegated
Treviso, Reggina, Genoa

2019/20
-
1st
Juventus
2nd
Inter Milan
3rd
Parma
4th
Fiorentina -
Relegated
Palermo, Cagliari, Bari

2020/21
-
1st
AC Milan
2nd
Inter Milan
3rd
Napoli
4th
Juventus -
Relegated
Cesena, Pescara, Bologna

TIM Cup

2012/13
-
Winners
Juventus
Runners-Up
Napoli

2013/14
-
Winners
Cagliari
Runners-Up
Udinese

2014/15
-
Winners
AC Milan
Runners-Up
Juventus

2015/16
-
Winners
Fiorentina
Runners-Up
Napoli

2016/17
-
Winners
AS Roma
Runners-Up
Napoli

2017/18
-
Winners
Napoli
Runners-Up
Parma

2018/19
-
Winners
Juventus
Runners-Up
Napoli

2019/20
-
Winners
AC Milan
Runners-Up
Juventus

2020/21
-
Winners
AC Milan
Runners-Up
Lazio

Bundesliga

2012/13
-
1st
Bayern Munich
2nd
Borussia Dortmund
3rd
FC Schalke 04
4th
Bayer Leverkusen -
Relegated
Hannover 96, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Werder Bremen

2013/14
-
1st
Bayern Munich
2nd
Borussia Dortmund
3rd
FC Schalke 04
4th
Hamburg -
Relegated
FSV Mainz, FC Augsburg

2014/15
-
1st
Bayer Leverkusen
2nd
Bayern Munich
3rd
Borussia Monchengladbach
4th
Borussia Dortmund -
Relegated
Hamburg, Hertha Berlin

2015/16
-
1st
Bayer Leverkusen
2nd
Borussia Dortmund
3rd
Bayern Munich
4th
FC Schalke 04 -
Relegated
TSV 1860 Munich, Hannover 96

2016/17
-
1st
Borussia Mochengladbach
2nd
Bayern Munich
3rd
FC Schalke 04
4th
Borussia Dortmund -
Relegated
FSV Mainz, Werder Bremen, SpVgg Greuther Furth

2017/18
-
1st
VfB Stuttgart
2nd
Bayern Munich
3rd
FC Schalke 04
4th
Borussia Dortmund -
Relegated
TSV 1860 Munich, FC Augsburg

2018/19
-
1st
Bayern Munich
2nd
Borussia Monchengladbach
3rd
VfB Stuttgart
4th
Borussia Dortmund -
Relegated
Fortuna Dusseldorf, SpVgg Greuther Furth

2019/20
-
1st
Borussia Dortmund
2nd
Bayer Leverkusen
3rd
Bayern Munich
4th
VfB Stuttgart -
Relegated
Hannover 96, Kaiserslautern, FSV Mainz

2020/21
-
1st
Bayern Munich
2nd
Bayer Leverkusen
3rd
Borussia Dortmund
4th
FC Schalke 04 -
Relegated
TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, Babelsberg

DFB Pokal

2012/13
-
Winners
Werder Bremen
Runners-Up
VfB Stuttgart

2013/14
-
Winners
Bayer Leverkusen
Runners-Up
Wolfsburg

2014/15
-
Winners
SC Freiburg
Runners-Up
Bayer Leverkusen

2015/16
-
Winners
Hamburg
Runners-Up
Eintracht Frankfurt

2016/17
-
Winners
Bayern Munich
Runners-Up
FC Nurnberg

2017/18
-
Winners
Bayern Munich
Runners-Up
Vfl Bochum

2018/19
-
Winners
Borussia Dortmund
Runners-Up
Eintracht Frankfurt

2019/20
-
Winners
Hoffenheim
Runners-Up
Bayern Munich

2020/21
-
Winners
Wolfsburg
Runners-Up
Hamburg

French Ligue 1

2012/13
-
1st
PSG
2nd
Marseille
3rd
Lille
4th
Bordeaux -
Relegated
Nice, Nancy, Ajaccio

2013/14
-
1st
PSG
2nd
Marseille
3rd
Bordeaux
4th
Lille -
Relegated
Bastia, Nantes, Brest

2014/15
-
1st
PSG
2nd
Lille
3rd
Marseille
4th
Lyon -
Relegated
Ajaccio, Stade Reims, Guingamp

2015/16
-
1st
PSG
2nd
Lille
3rd
Marseille
4th
Montpellier Herault -
Relegated
Clermont Foot 63, Lorient, Brest

2016/17
-
1st
Lille
2nd
PSG
3rd
Marseille
4th
Saint Etienne -
Relegated
Metz, Rennes, Le Havre AC

2017/18
-
1st
PSG
2nd
Lille
3rd
Marseille
4th
Saint Etienne -
Relegated
Valenciennes, Ajaccio, Arles-Avignon

2018/19
-
1st
Lille
2nd
PSG
3rd
Saint Etienne
4th
Marseille -
Relegated
Auxerre, Evian TG, Brest

2019/20
-
1st
Lille
2nd
PSG
3rd
Marseille
4th
Monaco -
Relegated
Montpellier, Nice, Troyes

2020/21
-
1st
Saint-Etienne
2nd
Toulouse
3rd
Lille
4th
Marseille -
Relegated
Evian TG, Clermont Foot 63, Metz

Coupe de France

2012/13
-
Winners
Lille
Runners-Up
Lyon

2013/14
-
Winners
Sochaux
Runners-Up
PSG

2014/15
-
Winners
Lyon
Runners-Up
PSG

2015/16
-
Winners
Lille
Runners-Up
Vannes

2016/17
-
Winners
Montpellier Herault
Runners-Up
Bordeaux

2017/18
-
Winners
Monaco
Runners-Up
Stade Reims

2018/19
-
Winners
Marseille
Runners-Up
Dijon

2019/20
-
Winners
Nancy
Runners-Up
Lyon

2020/21
-
Winners
Dijon
Runners-Up
Metz

Coupe de la Ligue

2012/13
-
Winners
PSG
Runners-Up
Lorient

2013/14
-
Winners
Nantes
Runners-Up
PSG

2014/15
-
Winners
St. Etienne
Runners-Up
Troyes

2015/16
-
Winners
Lille
Runners-Up
Le Havre

2016/17
-
Winners
Stade Reims
Runners-Up
Lyon

2017/18
-
Winners
Monaco
Runners-Up
PSG

2018/19
-
Winners
Marseille
Runners-Up
Ajaccio

2019/20
-
Winners
Dijon
Runners-Up
St Etienne

2020/21
-
Winners
Lille
Runners-Up
Lyon

Clydesdale Bank Premier League

2012/13
-
1st
Celtic
2nd
Hearts
3rd
Motherwell
4th
St. Mirren -
Relegated
Aberdeen

2013/14
-
1st
Celtic
2nd
Hearts
3rd
Hibernian
4th
Motherwell -
Relegated
St. Johnstone

2014/15
-
1st
Celtic
2nd
Hearts
3rd
Hibernian
4th
Motherwell -
Relegated
Aberdeen

2015/16
-
1st
Celtic
2nd
Rangers
3rd
Hibernian
4th
Dundee United -
Relegated
Dundee

2016/17
-
1st
Celtic
2nd
Hearts
3rd
Motherwell
4th
Rangers -
Relegated
Ross County

2017/18
-
1st
Rangers
2nd
St Mirren
3rd
Inverness CT
4th
Hibernian -
Relegated
Partick Thistle

2018/19
-
1st
Motherwell
2nd
Rangers
3rd
Inverness CT
4th
Celtic -
Relegated
Aberdeen

2019/20
-
1st
Motherwell
2nd
Hearts
3rd
Rangers
4th
Celtic -
Relegated
St. Johnstone

2020/21
-
1st
Celtic
2nd
Hearts
3rd
Motherwell
4th
St. Mirren -
Relegated
Hibernian

Scottish FA Cup

2012/13
-
Winners
Celtic
Runners-Up
Ross County

2013/14
-
Winners
Hearts
Runners-Up
Celtic

2014/15
-
Winners
Celtic
Runners-Up
Dundee

2015/16
-
Winners
Inverness CT
Runners-Up
Falkirk

2016/17
-
Winners
Inverness CT
Runners-Up
Celtic

2017/18
-
Winners
Inverness CT
Runners-Up
Dundee United

2018/19
-
Winners
Hearts
Runners-Up
Dundee United

2019/20
-
Winners
Hearts
Runners-Up
Rangers

2020/21
-
Winners
Hibernian
Runners-Up
St. Mirren

Scottish League Cup

2012/13
-
Winners
St Johnstone
Runners-Up
Motherwell

2013/14
-
Winners
Celtic
Runners-Up
Motherwell

2014/15
-
Winners
Celtic
Runners-Up
Hearts

2015/16
-
Winners
Ross County
Runners-Up
Motherwell

2016/17
-
Winners
St Mirren
Runners-Up
Celtic

2017/18
-
Winners
Hibernian
Runners-Up
Inverness CT

2018/19
-
Winners
St. Mirren
Runners-Up
Falkirk

2019/20
-
Winners
Rangers
Runners-Up
Motherwell

2020/21
-
Winners
St. Mirren
Runners-Up
Partick Thistle

Champions League

2012/13
-
Winners
Chelsea
Runners-Up
FC Schalke 04

2013/14
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Real Madrid

2014/15
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Juventus

2015/16
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Real Madrid

2016/17
-
Winners
Man United
Runners-Up
Barcelona

2017/18
-
Winners
Real Madrid
Runners-Up
Inter Milan

2018/19
-
Winners
Newcastle United
Runners-Up
Porto

2019/20
-
Winners
Newcastle United
Runners-Up
Arsenal

2020/21
-
Winners
Chelsea
Runners-Up
Porto

Europa League

2012/13
-
Winners
Newcastle United
Runners-Up
Tottenham Hotspur

2013/14
-
Winners
FC Porto
Runners-Up
Dynamo Kyiv

2014/15
-
Winners
FC Porto
Runners-Up
Galatasary

2015/16
-
Winners
Stoke City
Runners-Up
Fenerbahce

2016/17
-
Winners
Real Sociedad
Runners-Up
Sporting Lisbon

2017/18
-
Winners
Chelsea
Runners-Up
Tottenham Hotspurs

2018/19
-
Winners
Arsenal
Runners-Up
Cagliari

2019/20
-
Winners
Borussia Dortmund
Runners-Up
Man City

2020/21
-
Winners
Lille
Runners-Up
Man City

World Cup

2014 - Winners
Runners-Up
France

2018 - Winners
Runners-Up
Belgium

European Championship

2016 - Winners
Runners-Up
England

2020 - Winners
Runners-Up
Spain

World Awards

2020 - World Team of the Year

2012 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Xavi 3rd Cristiano Ronaldo

2013 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Cristiano Ronaldo 3rd Eden Hazard

2014 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Gerard Pique 3rd Juan

2015 World Player of the Year - 1st Cristiano Ronaldo 2nd Lionel Messi 3rd Neymar

2016 World Player of the Year - 1st Cristiano Ronaldo 2nd Fernando Llorente 3rd Sebastien Giovinco

2017 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Cristiano Ronaldo 3rd Meszut Ozil

2018 World Player of the Year - 1st Isco 2nd Thiago 3rd Gerard Pique

2019 World Player of the Year - 1st Lionel Messi 2nd Arlington Sanchez 3rd Sergio Aguero

2020 World Player of the Year - 1st Neymar 2nd Jack Wilshere 3rd Gradus Ibrahim

European Awards

2020/21 Best Player in Europe - 1st Neymar 2nd Eden Hazard 3rd Karl Alves

2020/21 European Golden Boy - Grant Claxton

English Awards

2020/21 Manager of the Year - 1st Antonio Conte 2nd Ricardo Moniz 3rd Aykut Kocaman

2020/21 Golden Glove - 1st Tim Krul 2nd Alex Smithies 3rd Thibaut Courtois

2020/21 Footballer of the Year - Neymar

2020/21 Players' Player of the Year - Eden Hazard

2020/21 Players' Team of the Year

2020/21 Players' Young Player of the Year - 1st Manolo Ovidi 2nd Gordon McManus 3rd Eneko Romo

200px-Sheffield_FC_svg.png

Chile_Paul's Career - Season Preview - 2021/22 - Sheffield FC

Board Expectations:

Barclay's Premier League : Stay clear of relegation

FA Cup: Third round

League Cup: Second round

My Expectations:

Barclays Premier League: Avoid relegation by any means possible

FA Cup: Not as important as other competitions this season, but fifth round is a reasonable target

League Cup: Quarter final

Budgets:

Transfer: £5.42m

Wage: £139,150 p/w (Currently spending £136,751 p/w)

Balance: -£6,029,587

Friendlies

yE8LFSn.png

A very long pre-season but against some very low level clubs as I try to ensure that my team are at maximum levels of fitness and match preparation heading into the new season. The match up against Blackburn and the resulting defeat was probably a mistake as it has caused morale to dip down below Perfect

Transfers - In

Martin Pettigrew - Free - Martin had been on my radar for a while and as his contract expired at Hamilton Academical I snatched him up. He'd be a great player in the Championship but will need some development at this level (as will so many of my players this season). He'll get a few games at right back.

Eric Petry - £1.4m - I took the opportunity to activate Eric's release clause to sign him. He will be my third goalkeeper in the squad, the concern I have is that they are all pretty much equal in terms of ability and frankly none on them are currently good enough - a major concern for this season.

Nikola Mejasic - £2.6m - The first of my major transactions this summer, Nikola is a central defender who can also play in midfield and is far stronger than any of the other candidates for this position - at only 19 years of age he should have a strong future with us.

Andy O'Callaghan - £500k - Snatched up at the end of his contract with only £500k compensation payable to Cardiff City, Andy can play at both right and left back and also has the attributes to be a central defender and will be a key squad player moving forward.

Elvis Kovacevic - Free - At 33 years of age and with experience of playing in the top Spanish league Elvis will bring some much needed experience into the back line.

James Milner - Free - Delighted to welcome James's experience to the club. At 35 years of age he is certainly not the player he once was, but he's probably still the strongest player in the squad!

Martin Ferguson - £725k - Again utilising a contract release clause I was able to sign this exciting attacking midfielder from East Stirlingshire (who incidentally are now in the Scottish Premier League thanks to investment from a tycoon over recent seasons.) His arrival does however mean that we're oversubscribed in the attacking midfield division so I may have some unhappy players later in the season who won't be getting playing time.

Juan Coulibaly - £4.6m - This deal really hurt the bank account and I had to be grateful that Estudiantes would accept a substantial amount spread across multiple months to be able to sign him. Coulibaly has had successful loan spells in France in recent seasons so I'm hoping he will adapt well to European football and be a rock in defence for us

Transfers - Out

Scott Dunlop is the most notable player to leave, disappointingly leaving at the end of his contract and signing for Premier League rivals Ipswich Town on a free transfer. Oscar Denis has left on a loan deal to play in France for a season and may result in a permanent deal, he is towards the bottom end of the pecking order for the attacking midfield berth and after a disappointing season last year he wouldn't be getting much playing time for us.

This is not what I wanted to hear a couple of weeks before the start of the season - I've promised them both that we'll win the League cup within the next 2 seasons to keep them happy for the time being. That goal is more foolish rather than ambitious, but I need both of these players to be on form this season to give us a chance of staying up - I can't afford for either of them to be trying to force through a transfer out of the club.

eFmVtGQ.png

8ECFZmX.png

Well, I always knew that my first season in the Premier League would be tough, but we almost came up with a perfect result against Tottenham in the first game. We started off matching Spurs and in the 19th minute bundled home an early goal thanks to Lewis Nicholas. Tottenham improved and equalised half way through the half but just before half time they has striker Radek Mucha sent off, surely this was my perfect opportunity to pull 3 points out of the bag? Unfortunately not, despite dominating the second half they scored in the 82nd minute and it looked as though I was heading for a heartbreaking first defeat. Luckily Juan Coulibaly was the hero of the hour, scoring on his debut in the 88th minute to rescue a point.

Next match up was against Man Utd at Old Trafford, there's not really much for me to report other than to say that they trounced us - we had 1 shot on target all game and they wrapped up a comfortable 3-0 victory before half time.

KEcZDwO.png

Towards the bottom of the table after the first 2 games, about where I expect to be all season.......

Q8l10nx.png

We got off to a strong early start in the League Cup against Mansfield, but they fought back in the second half as we looked lacklustre and short of ideas - they came very close to taking us to extra time but we just held on to secure a visit to Northampton Town in the next round.

t1szoTf.png

September was a strange month with a massive 18 days in the middle with no fixtures, which threw us out of our rhythm although allowed us to play a couple more friendly games to help with the team bonding.

We were competitive against Reading, which we needed to be as they are a club I think we need to be taking points from, however there strikers were too clinical for us (or our goalkeeper wasn't up to scratch, it might be the latter) and they took 2 good chances which allowed them to take all the points. The Southampton defeat was really worrying, as once again this is a club we should be competing with but they tore us to shreds roaring to a 3-0 lead by the 33rd minute with our goal only a consolation.

Things definitely improved against West Brom though - before they came up against us they had won 4 games in a row and were sitting at the top of the table, but our hard tackling really threw them off their game and Martial Caceres was in deadly form up front. We took the lead early and were dominating the game, until in the 68th minute it looked as though West Brom would snatch a point thanks to Jelle Vossen (who has scored 9 goals in 5 games). However in the 70th minute we retook the lead thanks to Javi Marquez's 3rd goal in 3 games which also won him the Premier League goal of the month award. Our first win in the Premier League!

DbXenx0.png

14th place in the league, but still far too early to judge how we will perform versus the bottom three.

U3k4N0H.png

We didn't feel comfortable at all in the game at Northampton, yet managed to make the scoreline look comfortable - we have a much bigger challenge coming up however as we entertain Newcastle United in the 4th round.

RbVRjJ2.png

Great work getting Coulibaly.

Thanks, Coulibaly has really been performing for us so he looks like a good buy

Well done on making it to the Premier League :thup:

Tough season ahead, though.

A decent start to a debut season.

The season is going better than I could ever have hoped for so far, fingers crossed it continues!

Wow! What an incredible month in October, it really couldn't have gone much better as we built on our win at the end against WBA with a further three victories to build a really impressive 4 game winning streak. It had been clear looking at the fixture list at the start of the season that this group of games would be a key period for us, but I never expected us to perform so well! The win at Bolton was particularly satisfying with my 2 stars of the season so far picking up a brace each.

Clearly this run of form couldn't continue when we started to come up against the big guns and indeed despite fighting strongly against Arsenal (who incidentally are actually below me in the table) we were stunned by 2 early goals from their young left winger and couldn't muster a fight back.

38EOv2x.png

That run of form has propelled us up into the dizzying heights of the top half of the table, above Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea!

3VDjdxj.png

Despite a really valiant effort in the League Cup we were just beaten by title holders Newcastle United. We'd matched them throughout the match but switched off for a free kick in the 79th minute to allow Erick Torres to get free in the area and shoot home without any pressure.

awYnTsa.png

Archived