How long does it take to learn a language?

I've sent one of my players to Dinamo Zagreb because he couldn't get a work permission and 2 years later I want to recall him but he didn't gain Croatian nationality because he can't speak basic Croatian.

How long would it take?

Does it depend on his determination/adaptability attributes?

Why can't I talk to him and ask to learn the language?.. :thdn:

It does depend on attributes, some of which may be hidden.

In FM 12 I had an American newgen sent to Croatia who never got nationality either.

It is realistic though, as per the oft trotted out example of Tevez IRL.

I suppose being able to speak to him would make sense in this scenario, I'm pretty sure every player would learn a smattering of Croatian over 2 years if their ability to play premiership football depended on it.

A year, I think.

It does depend as tom_numbers says on adaptability and language difficulty, so it could be a year, it could be less, it could be longer. I've had players on basic grasp of the language within 7-8 months and others who after 2 years are still no closer to learning (mainly Brazilians it feels like to me :( ).

I have no idea if it is coded already - but it should be that people who speak certain languages can pick up "similar" languages more quickly. So Scandinavians should be much more able to learn other scandinavian languages but take longer to learn Swahili etc.

But there is no set amount and it varies wildly based on mostly adaptability but also other ratings. I guess it could be an option to pay for a tutor for certain players but that's getting a bit minor to include in FM.

I have no idea if it is coded already - but it should be that people who speak certain languages can pick up "similar" languages more quickly. So Scandinavians should be much more able to learn other scandinavian languages but take longer to learn Swahili etc.

But there is no set amount and it varies wildly based on mostly adaptability but also other ratings. I guess it could be an option to pay for a tutor for certain players but that's getting a bit minor to include in FM.

Most scandinavian players start with the surrounding languages on "basic" to be honest, so that part of realism is there.

....I guess it could be an option to pay for a tutor for certain players but that's getting a bit minor to include in FM.

I think that's an idea tbh considering the apparent impact it can have (i.e. ass man telling you throughout game "x is struggling to blend because of language difficulties...").

You could make it as easy as it is to ask the board to fund a coaching course for staff say??

Most scandinavian players start with the surrounding languages on "basic" to be honest, so that part of realism is there.

Some, but things like Norwegian-Icelandic isn't. I would expect a much faster learning of that than Norwegian-Spanish even

I tried a save on an old version where the only point was to learn as many as possible as a quirk to a journey man save starting with English only, and as soon as I'd learned the language I'd move on regardless. Pointless, but hey :D I got to 7 I think. And some languages definitely took my in-game self a lot longer than others to learn....croatian and italian I think were two that took far longer.

Managing in Belgium (and I guess Switzerland??) can be weird, because dependent I guess on where in Belgium your club is you learn either French or Dutch, not both. Not sure how realistic that is??

I tried a save on an old version where the only point was to learn as many as possible as a quirk to a journey man save starting with English only, and as soon as I'd learned the language I'd move on regardless. Pointless, but hey :D I got to 7 I think. And some languages definitely took my in-game self a lot longer than others to learn....croatian and italian I think were two that took far longer.

Managing in Belgium (and I guess Switzerland??) can be weird, because dependent I guess on where in Belgium your club is you learn either French or Dutch, not both. Not sure how realistic that is??

In the database languages have a difficulty setting.

Also it is entirely realistic, half of Belgium is Dutch speaking and half of it is French speaking. Of course there is overlap, but I work with two Belgians, one from Flanders and one from Wallonia, who prefer to talk to each other in English.

Archived