[FM 13] Milo Bloom's American Soccer Pyramid (Fictional, 9 Tiers)

Back again with another "there's a bloody great hole in my American knowledge" question, another name that I'm struggling to find much information about.

Lawrence Rockjocks, based in Lawrence, Kansas. "Rock Jocks" only seems to turn up a not-very-good film about asteroids- is that the connection? Does Lawrence have some sort of role in NASA, or is it referring to something else?

Think it may have something to do with this: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGTA3_Founders_Rock_Lawrence_KS

Also, Lawrence is where the University of Kansas is, whose basketball motto is 'Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk'. May be a dual meaning?

Lawrence (and the University of Kansas) are built on a large outcropping of limestone (rock chalk), The Jayhawk is a mythical bird involved in early Kansas statehood and the anti-slavery forces. So, Rockjocks would most likely just refer to the limestone in the Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant/cheer. Also, KU's got a good basketball team, and sometimes a basketball is called "the rock", so it might also reference their basketball history. Regarding KU and NASA...KU does have a decent aeronautic engineering program, and one of their graduates was a pilot for the space shuttle, but that would likely be a secondary connection.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will this all be updated for FM14 when it is released? Being an American myself, I'd love to give it a shot, but I'm really enjoying my current save, and don't really want to start another partial before the new game comes out.

Also, just curious, are there any Native American teams in the database? e.g. "Navajo Nation FC"

I certainly am not meaning to bash what you have done here (it really is excellent work!) but the teams seem way overpowered, especially in terms of reputation. The team from New York has a reputation of 9500, which is more than Manchester United and equal to Barcelona. The standard of the teams is much too high, but I can always change it myself with the editor, I suppose. Overall, great work!

I can't speak to the power level in-game, but it's entirely feasible within the premise of the database.

Just to add some insight to this, in 2010 Forbes magazine calculated the most valuable franchises in sports: Manchester United were number one, and the four following were all American teams - Dallas Cowboys, NY Yankees, Washington Redskins, New England Patriots.

It's worth pointing out that each of those share a metro area with major teams in all four major American sports: NFL, Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, and National Basketball Association. The NYC metro actually has two of each. Plus they all have an MLS team (NYC soon to have two). If our culture were as football-centric as those nations hosting the major European clubs, we'd easily match the biggest European clubs.

To get back on-topic, the database looks fun and Lawlore's stories have really drawn me into it. I can't wait to give it a whirl, thanks to all who have contributed.

edit: spelling errors

Cheers, Tim- I really haven't seen a better fictional league structure, and hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

In terms of the reputation of teams, I figure a couple of screenies from my game may give a better idea of how things develop over time, with takeovers etc. These are from 2030:

BIGGEST CLUBS: http://i42.tinypic.com/xpyq1v.jpg

RICHEST CLUBS: http://i43.tinypic.com/28bfqxv.jpg

WORLD CLUB CHAMP HISTORY: http://i42.tinypic.com/4htl6g.jpg

The most noticeable thing is that American teams obviously start to dominate North America, particularly the NACL- while the US Premier League is equivalent to the English Prem, the leagues of other countries (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean nations) are not in line with, for example, La Liga or Serie A. The best American teams are simply much better than the best teams of other North American nations. It's not a game-breaker, but it is something to keep in mind.

Because of the sheer number of good players and good teams, the American national team is also one of the best in the world- again, as long as you accept the premise of the database, I don't think this is unbelievable. In my game, they are currently ranked #1, but they have only reached one World Cup final at four attempts, which they did win. No Olympics wins, either.

I can't speak for Milo's plans for FM14- I'm certainly hoping he does plan to put a release out for it, as it's some of the most fun I've had with FM. It's stable, it's balanced and it's huge. I cannot recommend it enough.

There are clubs with Native American names (which, as an Englishman, has caused me all kinds of headaches for creating badges), but there's not any kind of Native American player name generator, so in that respect they're just like any other club.

However, team examples include:

Mesa Hohokams

Salt Lake City Utes

Fresno Yokuts

Grand Rapids Chippewas

Savannah Yamacraws

• 4 weeks later...

With FM14 on the horizon, I am pleased to announce we nearly have a full set of logos- at least for FM12. I have five remaining USS Premier Leagues to create for (Heartland, Midwest, Northwest, Pacific and Western Prairie)- once these are done, every league club at the start of the game will have a logo. I will then move on to the non-league teams, and to completing the kits, where I am currently a good way through Tier 7.

However, as it stands, I still do not have the FM13 ID numbers for teams in Tiers 8 or 9. Without someone taking a moment to provide screenshots of those clubs' FM13 ID numbers, I cannot release the pack for FM13. This is SIXTY logos for the teams in Patriot League One, and will be another SEVENTY-TWO logos for the teams in the Regional Premier Leagues. I would love to be able to share these logos with other people using the database, but without someone giving me these ID numbers, they will not work with FM13.

I will almost certainly be getting FM14, and I am hoping Milo's database will be able to be used on FM14 without the ID numbers changing again, although if they do, I should hopefully be able to get a new pack up shortly after release. I haven't spoken to Milo about his own plans for the database- I'm hoping as much as the rest of you that we see a new, FM14 compatible edition, if there does prove to be any issue with compatibility.

• 4 weeks later...

fm12comp.png

The link: http://charthero.com/FM12COMPLETELOGO.zip.

GOOD NEWS: All logos for the league tiers in the pyramid at game start are now COMPLETE! This is 342 badges, including a few variations for future kit purposes. These are in both small and large versions, and have been tested on my own game without issue.

BAD NEWS: This pack is not FM13 compatible. At the moment, I am only able to release this complete pack for FM12, as I do not have the ID numbers for the Tier 8/9 teams in FM13. Until someone posts some screenshots for those divisions so I can edit the file names appropriately, there will be no FM13 release of the complete pack.

OTHER NEWS: I do not have FM14, and am still undecided over buying it. I have no idea whether the FM13 version of the American Projects DB works or whether Milo has any plans for releasing a new version for it. Personally, my next step is now to continue with kits, to sharpen up some of the not-so-great logos, and to begin with logos for the 200+ lower division teams.

• 2 months later...

In response to a few PMs and particularly to Lawlore. I would have sent you a PM as well, Lawlore, but your inbox was full.

I want to first say sorry about the absence. Finishing the final version of last year's database seems like a lifetime away. I've had a lot of career and personal changes in the last six months and I just don't have the time to work on a massive project like this.

I must say, and I mean this sincerely, the reaction and work put in by members of this and other communities made the editing process and grinding of it all worth it. In that vein, if anyone has a desire to continue or use my work, feel free to with the same caveat as ever- a little recognition of the original source. I'd be embarrassed to tell the amount of time brainstorming, creating, and inputting took and I'd like to think users of my work would appreciate that.

• 4 weeks later...
I loaded this into FM14 and selected all the leagues to be playable, but all the players show up gray...what can I do about this?

load it into FM13? :cool: Some databases from FM 13 do work in FM 14, some do not. So apparently, this database is one of the second variety.

load it into FM13? :cool: Some databases from FM 13 do work in FM 14, some do not. So apparently, this database is one of the second variety.

I only have 14, so it looks like I'm out of luck. I'll try to find another American database out there that is as well done as this one.

• 2 months later...

MiloBloom's american soccer pyramid was my favorite custom database so I've decided to create it for FM 14. I'll be changing a few things around, essentially putting my own spin on it. It also won't go down nine levels like Milo's, likely only four or five. I'd like input from the community on things you'd like to see, and anyone is welcome to take over the file and add lower levels once I'm finished.

Thanks to MiloBloom for being the original mastermind behind this project!

This will take some time, likely won't be completed for a month or two.

• 3 weeks later...
MiloBloom's american soccer pyramid was my favorite custom database so I've decided to create it for FM 14. I'll be changing a few things around, essentially putting my own spin on it. It also won't go down nine levels like Milo's, likely only four or five. I'd like input from the community on things you'd like to see, and anyone is welcome to take over the file and add lower levels once I'm finished.

Thanks to MiloBloom for being the original mastermind behind this project!

This will take some time, likely won't be completed for a month or two.

I have been doing the same thing except I kept his 9 levels changed a lot of names to their real life counterparts and what not. I have been working on this since FM13 and it's really awesome. Right now I am trying to expand the USS Lower Leagues into more divisions so I can have the regional cups playable for lower level clubs. Here are a screenshots. I just need MiloBloom's blessing in order for me to release it.

e7c191eb4ca462753793a4b235123a19.png

e46ed621d678934c7a7bb5084eb7fdaa.png

• 5 weeks later...

Archived