Striker movement - too many offsides

My centre forward at Newcastle is Papiss Cisse and he has been caught offside 16 times in 7 league matches so far. In total in the league he has had five goals disallowed for offside, including the last match against Reading where he was caught offside twice and both times had goals disallowed. This is all the more fustrating as he hasn't scored at all this season and has only had 12 shots in 7 league matches.

In real life in the Premier League the players with the most offsides are Jelavic, Lukaku and Holt all with 12 offsides at an average of 1.2 per match. As opposed to Cisse on my save who is averaging over 2 per match. In the whole league Crouch has the most offsides with 18 and Bent and Carroll both has 15 offside. This suggests that there are too many offsides in FM and that if affects AI teams too.

I expect people will argue that it's my tactics and I'm sure that's partially correct but some of the offsides are ridiculous. For example when taking a free kick in midfield or when the goalkeeper kicks the ball out of his hands. On other occasions the forward wanders into an offside position and then makes absolutely no attempt to get back onside, as shown by the example below.

panathinaikosvnewcastle.th.png

Anita gets the ball in the midfield and Ba is pushed up against the opposing centre back and is in an onside position

Anita passes wide to Obertan but Ba has moved into an offside position

Obertan takes on his man but Ba has moved even further offside

Obertan beats his man and Ba has moved even further offside

Finally, Obertan gets into a good crossing position and Ba, by some miracle has now found himself onside. A low cross to Ba would result in a certain goal but of course Obertan chooses to shoot from the narrow angle.

This is not a bitter post from someone who is struggling on the game as I'm actually doing well with Newcastle and am unbeaten in all competitions and fourth in the league with a game in hand but for me the poor movement of the forwards are making it impossible for them to score goals

There are too many offsides, offsides during attacking, offsides during corner kicks, offsides during throw ins, every match at least one offside goal or cancelled goal......But dont worry, ME is piece of art, bug free, it must be your tactic, I am 100 % sure.. /sarcasm/...Lack of movement from strikers, midfielders, defenders is a problem from beta, same with poor defending and goalkeeping...But as you can see, there are always users who will say opposite.

• 3 months later...

I realised many offsides lately especially against top teams. So while Playing man city, just beat Barcelona 8-1 after puyol and busquets got red cards in first half and messi got injured. Then next match I lose to arsenal 2-0, both penalties after controlling the game.

The shocking stat is: 15 offsides.

what's going on????

If I am not mistaken, the "positioning" attribute was useful for strikers in the CM 3 series to avoid offsides, while the "off the ball" attribute related more purely to attacking moves. Not sure how this works in the more recent games. How does your strikers with good a good positioning attribute compare to those with poor positioning in the offside statistics?

• 2 years later...

I'm playing with Internazionale and my stryker is Mauro Icardi. He likes to play to unbeat the offside trap. But he is 17 in off the ball atribute and he is caught in offside 10 times for game! I have one of the best strykers of the game but he doesn't score. He is always in offside!!!

How are your stats compared to other strikers in the game? are they also getting caught offside to the same degree as you?

If not, it is clear there is something wrong with the way you are setting up the team to play and in particular, Icardi ...

That said, if you are noticing every team having the same issue, it may well be an issue and feel free to report it with details if possible in the bug reporting section.

Archived