[FM13] The County Countup

Lenzar

Having just purchased FM13, I was looking for something a little different to do. I wanted some sort of journeyman career, with a vague goal, and I have decided to attempt something I will call the County Countup.I will attempt, during my career, to manage a team from every historical county in England'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_counties_of_England"]England, Scotland, and Wales

I am aware that I will have some difficulty, as some counties, such as Rutland and Westmorland, have no real league team.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress

Team Honours

2012-13 FA Trophy (Havant & Waterlooville)
2012-13 Blue Square South (Havant & Waterlooville)
2013-14 Blue Square Premier (Havant & Waterlooville)
2015-16 Championship (Everton)
2016-17 FA Cup (Everton)
2017-18 Scottish League Cup (Celtic)
2017-18 Scottish Premier League (Celtic)
2018-19 English Premier League (Chelsea)
2018-19 FA Cup (Chelsea)
2018-19 Europa League (Chelsea)
2019 Copa América (Uruguay)
2019-20 English Premier League (Chelsea)
2019-20 FA Cup (Chelsea)
2019-20 Champion's League (Chelsea)

Personal Honours

[b]2012-13 Blue Square South Manager of the Year
2013-14 Blue Square Premier Manager of the Year
2015-16 Championship Manager of the Year
2019-20 English Premier League Manager of the Year
[/b]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season| Team          | County     | Division      | Pos  | Achievements
2012-13| Havant & W   | Hampshire  | Blue Sq. Sth | 1st  | Promoted, FA Trophy
2013-14| Havant & W   | Hampshire | Blue Sq. Prm. | 1st | Promoted, resigned
2014-15 | Port Vale   | Staffordshire| League Two | 4th | Joined 28th October, promoted via playoffs
2015-16 | Everton   | Lancashire     | Championship | 1st | Promoted
2016-17 | Everton   | Lancashire     | Premiership    | 6th | FA Cup winners
2017-18 | Celtic      | Lanarkshire    | Scottish Prm. | 1st | League Cup winners
2018-19 | Chelsea   | Middlesex      | Premiership   | 1st | FA Cup & Europa League winners
2019-20 | Chelsea   | Middlesex      | Premiership | 1st | FA Cup & Champion's League winners
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 of 86 counties

You'll struggle with the Shetlands as well.

Aye, there are several Scottish counties who will never be represented, as the SFL is a closed shop. :(

Still, I think most English counties are doable in some form - historical counties means Sunderland are considered a Durham team, for instance.

August & September 2012

CountyHampWAugSep2012.png

This is a pretty good start. The match against Bath was poor, as were two red cards against Hayes & Yeading. The FA Cup game was also an incredible struggle at times. Both Péricard and Lyons scored within 5 minutes on their respective debuts..maybe I should just keep signing new strikers?

December 2012 & January 2013

CountyHampWDec12Jan13.png

Things are starting to look a little less secure than they were, as our run in January suggests. This has not been helped because Péricard, one of my star strikers, has been out for most of the month.

Feburary 2013

Dorchester Town 2-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

Dorchester had their midfield to thank on a breezy evening at Avenue Stadium as they showed their strikers how to finish.

Experienced midfielder Nick Crittenden gave Dorchester Town the lead with a free kick from the edge of the area in the 23rd minute. Havant & Waterlooville were nearly gifted a goal on 72 minutes through Edwin Ellis' lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Midfielder James Smith finally rounded off their victory on 92 minutes with a tidy finish from 16 yards.

Player of the Match: Nick Crittenden (Dorchester)

Attendance: 598

Farnborough 1-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

After a 1-1 draw at Rushmoor Stadium against Havant & Waterlooville, a key member of the Farnborough side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this Blue Square Bet South fixture with a draw.

Midfielder Nic Ciardini gave Farnborough the lead with a free kick in the 30th minute. Striker Ollie Palmer equalised for Havant & Waterlooville after 57 minutes with a nice effort from 10 yards.

Player of the Match: Ollie Palmer (Havant & W)

Attendance: 690

Welling United 2-5 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

A young Havant & W side showed that you can win with kids as they came out on top against a much more experienced Welling team on a soaking wet evening at Park View Road.

Centre-back Jerel Ifil got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring an accurate finish from inside the penalty area on 4 minutes. Hutchinson was able to keep his composure to score from the spot after Acheampong gave away a penalty. Full-back Theo Fairweather-Johnson pulled one back for Welling United after 29 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 13 yards.

Palmer scored with a real poacher's effort from 19 yards in the 43rd minute to extend the lead further. Palmer added his 2nd goal of the game with a placed shot on 45 minutes.

Journeyman goalkeeper Jamie Turner added to an already bad day at the office for Welling United on 86 minutes when he managed to put the ball into his own net. Striker Kiernan Hughes-Mason pulled one back for Welling United after 89 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 17 yards.

Player of the Match: Christian Nanetti (Havant & W)

Attendance: 415

Havant & Waterlooville 3-1 Southport (FA Trophy Semi Final)

An efficient performance from Havant & W saw them run out 3-1 winners over Southport at Westleigh Park.

Things did not get off to a good start for Southport as midfielder Jack Eades seized on an error by Lloyd Rigby to score a well executed finish. Young striker Scott Jones doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a shot from 22 yards out on 11 minutes.

Péricard scored with a shot from 23 yards out in the 58th minute to extend the lead further. Midfielder Karl Ledsham pulled one back for Southport after 60 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 18 yards.

Player of the Match: Scott Jones (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,846

Havant & Waterlooville 3-2 Salisbury City (Blue Square Bet South)

Havant & Waterlooville won a hard fought battle against Salisbury City on a cold and clear evening at Westleigh Park. A brace from Scott Jones helped Havant & W to victory.

Striker Jack Lyons gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a deftly executed finish in the 33rd minute. Young striker Scott Jones doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a finish tucked away with consummate ease on 53 minutes.

Striker Troy Hewitt gave the Salisbury City fans a glimmer of hope after 62 minutes with a close range header. Jones added his 2nd goal of the game with a well executed finish on 68 minutes.

Striker Jamie White gave the Salisbury City fans a glimmer of hope after 87 minutes with a placed shot from close range.

Attendance: 1,138

Southport 3-3 Havant & Waterlooville (FA Trophy Semi Final) - 2nd leg

In an enthralling match which saw both sides throw caution to the wind, it was football which was ultimately the winner.

As fans left Haig Avenue they will no doubt have agreed that neither team deserved to lose this game.

Young striker Scott Jones got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a fierce effort from 28 yards out after just one minute. Striker Vincent Péricard doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with an incisive finish from 13 yards on 29 minutes.

Midfielder Djeny Bembo-Leta pulled one back for Southport after 44 minutes with an attempt which took a fortunate deflection. Young striker Darren Stephenson then equalised for Southport in the 65th minute with a tap-in.

Péricard then added his 2nd goal of the game with a real poacher's effort from 18 yards on 69 minutes. With time rapidly running out, young striker Raphael Duyile then scored a deftly executed finish to equalise for Southport.

Havant & W therefore win 6-4 on aggregate.

Player of the Match: Vincent Péricard (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,761

Table

1st Havant & W P32 Pts 77 GD +44

2nd Dorcester P31 Pts 70 GD +31

3rd Bath P32 Pts 58 GD +28

Some more poor performances, but I should have enough games against the sides near the bottom of the table to carry me over the line.

Which update style do you guys think I should use? I can continue with this style, or revert to the old one, or may combine both.

March 2013

Havant & Waterlooville 2-1 Sutton United (Blue Square Bet South)

A young Havant & W side showed that you can win with kids as they came out on top against a much more experienced Sutton Utd team on a mild spring afternoon at Westleigh Park.

Young striker Scott Jones got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish on 7 minutes. Experienced striker Craig Dundas then equalised for Sutton United in the 13th minute with a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Jones scored what proved to be the winner in the 65th minute with a real poacher's effort from 17 yards. Dundas had a chance to pull a goal back from the penalty spot on the 81 minute mark but his spot-kick was well saved.

Attendance: 1,180

Dover Athletic 1-2 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

Havant & Waterlooville recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Dover Athletic on a mild spring afternoon at Crabble Athletic Ground.

Young centre-back Steffan Jones gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a fine header from point-blank range in the 37th minute. Dover Athletic also saw their 45th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Journeyman striker George O'Callaghan then equalised for Dover Athletic in the 57th minute with a close range header. Dover Athletic also saw their 63rd minute strike questionably chalked off.

Havant & Waterlooville's winner came through Scott Jones as he seized on Mitch Walker's mistake to score a well timed finish from close range.

Player of the Match: Steffan Jones (Havant & W)

Attendance: 938

Havant & Waterlooville 5-0 Maidenhead United (Blue Square Bet South)

In what had been billed as a close encounter, Maidenhead United were trounced 5-0 by Havant & Waterlooville at Westleigh Park.

Young midfielder Phil Swift gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a real poacher's effort from 17 yards in the 18th minute. Havant & Waterlooville also saw their 29th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Young midfielder Cameron Edwards doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a shot from 26 yards out on 53 minutes. Nanetti scored with a deftly executed finish in the 57th minute to extend the lead further.

Young striker Scott Jones then added to the lead with a simple finish from close in on 67 minutes. Journeyman midfielder Mark McVeigh completed the rout with a tidy finish from 16 yards on 73 minutes.

Player of the Match: Christian Nanetti (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,168

Grimsby Town 1-5 Havant & Waterlooville (FA Trophy Final)

On a mild spring afternoon at Wembley, Havant & W had the honour of lifting the FA Trophy after Havant & W's convincing 5-1 FA Carlsberg Trophy Final victory over Grimsby.

Experienced midfielder Allan Russell gave Grimsby Town the lead with a deftly executed finish in the 33rd minute. Young striker Scott Jones then equalised for Havant & Waterlooville in the 37th minute with a well timed close range finish.

Young midfielder Cameron Edwards then put Havant & Waterlooville in front after 40 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 12 yards. Péricard scored with a tidy finish from 18 yards in the 44th minute to extend the lead further.

Jones added his 2nd goal of the game with a fine header from point-blank range on 45 minutes. Edwards completed the rout on 71 minutes with a fierce shot.

Attendance: 25,301

Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Truro City (Blue Square Bet South)

Goal-friendly Truro drew 1-1 against Havant & W on a wet afternoon at Westleigh Park.

An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Chris Arthur allowed Truro captain Stewart Yetton to score a cleanly struck effort from close to goal. The Truro City fans might have hoped that Yetton had scored the winner but it was not to be.

Havant & Waterlooville's equaliser came through Mark McVeigh as he seized on Cody Cooke's mistake to score a header. Better late than never for Havant & Waterlooville and the fans were clearly delighted with McVeigh's impact.

Player of the Match: Mark McVeigh (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,785

League Table

1st Havant & W P36 Pts 87 GD +51

2nd Dorchester P37 Pts 83 GD +40

3rd Bath P37 Pts 65 GD +24

Becoming very nervous as to how close the league is. We get some good wins but then play like cack in the next game..just hoping we can keep some form together for the last few games as Dorchester are playing so well.

Interesting idea. I'll absolutly follow you, I love it when FMCUs have some sort of weird goal, like managing every county in the UK. What are you going to do about clubs that have moved from one county to another, like Arsenal. Will they count as a part of their current county or their former county or just whatever is most convinient? Paul Swift looks like a beast by the way. It's gonna be a hard couple of transfer windows with him in the squad...

Interesting idea. I'll absolutly follow you, I love it when FMCUs have some sort of weird goal, like managing every county in the UK. What are you going to do about clubs that have moved from one county to another, like Arsenal. Will they count as a part of their current county or their former county or just whatever is most convinient? Paul Swift looks like a beast by the way. It's gonna be a hard couple of transfer windows with him in the squad...

I will be using the Historical counties, which define Arsenal (and MOST London clubs) as Middlesex sides.

I /was/ going to leave Havant at the end of the season due to issues with contracts, but Swifty is making me think twice. I've never had a 5* CA regen before, so I want to make the most of him...

April 2012

Hayes & Yeading United 0-2 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as Hayes & Yeading lost to Havant & W on a cold and wet evening at The Warren.

Experienced midfielder Tony Taggart got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring an effort which hit the inside of the post before crossing the line on 4 minutes. Striker Vincent Péricard completed the scoring for Havant & Waterlooville with a tidy finish from 14 yards on 26 minutes.

Attendance: 265

AFC Hornchurch 2-3 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

Havant & Waterlooville battled to a deserved 3-2 victory over AFC Hornchurch on a windy evening in their Blue Square Bet South game at Hornchurch Stadium (Bridge Avenue).

Havant & Waterlooville finally took the lead when striker Vincent Péricard scored a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 43 minutes. Midfielder Louis Briscoe doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a fine header from point-blank range on 48 minutes.

Lyons scored with a tidy finish from 13 yards in the 58th minute to extend the lead further. Striker Lewis Smith pulled one back for AFC Hornchurch after 61 minutes with an effort from range.

AFC Hornchurch captain Elliot Styles gave the AFC Hornchurch fans a glimmer of hope after 65 minutes with a nice effort from 15 yards.

Player of the Match: Jack Lyons (Havant & W)

Attendance: 362

Maidenhead United 0-2 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

Havant & Waterlooville gave Maidenhead manager Steve Hale the worst possible start to his birthday celebrations as they won 2-0 at York Road.

Striker Vincent Péricard got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish from 22 yards which found its target via the post on 4 minutes. Havant & Waterlooville also saw their 14th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Midfielder Cameron Edwards completed the scoring for Havant & Waterlooville with an incisive finish from 20 yards on 62 minutes.

Player of the Match: Andrea Zola (Havant & W)

Attendance: 208

Havant & Waterlooville 2-0 Dover Athletic (Blue Square Bet South)

Havant & W's match against Dover will have been a meaningful one for Havant & W's Ed Harris as he was able to celebrate victory over his former club.

Havant & Waterlooville finally took the lead when midfielder Steve Ramsey scored a fierce effort from 29 yards out on 53 minutes. Things went from bad to worse for Dover Athletic as midfielder Shane Huke earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 58 minutes.

Péricard had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Mtandari conceded a penalty.

Player of the Match: Steve Ramsey (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,642

Salisbury City 1-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet South)

Havant & Waterlooville could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Salisbury City in their Blue Square Bet South game at The Raymond McEnhill Stadium.

Things did not get off to a good start for Salisbury City as Havant & Waterlooville's Scott Jones scored from the spot after Callum Hart had given away a penalty. Salisbury City's equaliser came through Chris McPhee as he seized on Dan Thomas' mistake to score a tame effort from close to goal.

Player of the Match: Matt Robinson (Salisbury)

Attendance: 1,079

Havant & Waterlooville 2-1 Boreham Wood (Blue Square Bet South)

On a wet afternoon at Westleigh Park, Havant & W had the honour of lifting the Blue Square Bet South title.

Young striker Scott Jones gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a close range header in the 14th minute. An error from Boreham Wood's James Russell allowed striker Vincent Péricard to score a well timed finish from close range. Striker Inih Effiong's 77th minute strike proved the only consolation for Boreham Wood.

Player of the Match: Inih Effiong (Boreham Wood)

Attendance: 2,848

End of season analysis to come soon...

Havant_and_waterlooville_logo.PNG

2012-13 Season review - Havant & Waterlooville

League

Whilst the table looks like we dominated on paper, many of our wins were scrappy wins where we were forced to hold on near the end, mostly 2-1 or 3-2 wins.

FA Trophy

This was probably the competition where I was most pleased with our performances. The final was a little mad at times, the scoreline definitely flatters us.

FA Cup

Again, I am pleased to have made it through to the first round proper. Against Doncaster we were poor and never looked like causing an upset.

Best Player

Scott Jones

Despite my signing of several new players, Scott was probably my most consistent performer. His goals were enough for 2nd in the BSS top scorers list, as well as the BSS Player of the Year award.

Best Signing

Vincent Péricard

Vincent, once he settled in, was perhaps the best of my strikers.

I now move onto Season 2..

2012-13 Winners & Losers

EPL Champions: Man City

EPL Relegated: Reading, Everton, Wigan

Championship Champions: Huddersfield

Promoted: Burnley, Watford

Relegated: Crystal Palace, Charlton, Barnsley

League One Champions: Sheff Utd

Promoted: Bournemouth, Scunthorpe

Relegated: Bury, Stevenage, Leyton Orient, Shrewsbury

League Two Champions: Wycombe

Promoted: Bradford, Chesterfield, Rotherham

Relegated: Aldershot, Exeter

BSP Champions: Wrexham

Promoted: Luton

Relegated: AFC Telford, Stockport, Ebbsfleet, Alfreton

BSN Champions: Harrogate

Promoted: Chester

Relegated: Gloucester, Corby, Hinckley

BSS Champions: Havant & Waterlooville

Promoted: Bath

Relegated: Basingstoke, Maidenhead, Bromley

Promoted into BSN/BSS: FC United, Kettering, Stafford, Redditch, Wealdstone, Lowestoft

FA Cup winners: Arsenal (v Man City)

Capital One Cup winners: Man Utd :( (v Man City)

Community Shield: Chelsea (v Man City)

JPT winners: Carlisle (v Yeovil)

FA Trophy winners: Havant & Waterlooville (v Grimsby)

Champions League winners: Bayern Munich (v Man City!)

Europa League winners: Liverpool (v Leverkusen)

August 2013

Macclesfield Town 1-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Matthew Barnes-Homer played the part of super-sub for Macclesfield as The Silkmen came from behind to claim a draw against Havant & W on a hard and bouncy surface at The Moss Rose.

Striker Vincent Péricard gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a real poacher's effort from 13 yards in the 37th minute. Macclesfield Town also saw their 64th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Striker Matthew Barnes-Homer equalised for Macclesfield Town after 84 minutes with a well timed close range finish.

Attendance: 3,045

Havant & Waterlooville 1-0 Harrogate Town (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Harrogate's Zac Aley overshadowed events on what was a wet evening at Westleigh Park.

Full-back Chris Arthur gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a thumping effort from range in the 39th minute.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Player of the Match: José Veiga (Harrogate)

Attendance: 2,652

Exeter City 4-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville didn't produce any surprises as they were heavily beaten by Exeter City. A brace from Liam Sercombe helped Exeter to victory.

Things turned sour for Havant & Waterlooville when young centre-back Steffan Jones earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 37 minutes. Exeter City finally took the lead when midfielder Liam Sercombe scored a close range header on 45 minutes.

Sercombe added his 2nd goal of the game with a tidy finish from 13 yards on 74 minutes. An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Dan Thomas allowed Exeter captain Danny Coles to score a well timed close range finish. An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Ed Harris allowed Coles to score a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Player of the Match: Liam Sercombe (Exeter)

Attendance: 4,332

Havant & Waterlooville 0-2 Forest Green Rovers (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Forest Green had their midfield to thank on a mild summer's evening at Westleigh Park as they showed their strikers how to finish.

Winger Stephen Brogan gave Forest Green Rovers the lead with a fierce shot which went in off the post in the 29th minute. With Havant & Waterlooville staring at defeat, there was controversy as striker Vincent Péricard then had a penalty shout turned down.

Midfielder Kieron Forbes completed the scoring for Forest Green Rovers with a shot from 21 yards on 35 minutes.

Player of the Match: Kieron Forbes (Forest Green)

Attendance: 2,605

Braintree Town 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

After a 0-0 draw at Cressing Road Stadium against Havant & Waterlooville, a key member of the Braintree Town side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this Blue Square Bet Premier fixture with a draw.

Havant & W were often prevented from playing as they wanted to due to the number of fouls committed by their enthusiastic opponents.

Player of the Match: Yann Nsaku (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,059

Havant & Waterlooville 2-0 Bath City (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & W's match against Bath will have been a meaningful one for Havant & W's Josh Low as he was able to celebrate victory over his former club.

Striker Vincent Péricard got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a fierce shot after just one minute. With Bath City staring at defeat, there was controversy as journeyman striker Tim Sills then had a penalty shout turned down.

Experienced midfielder Tony Taggart completed the scoring for Havant & Waterlooville with a 36 yard free kick on 73 minutes.

Player of the Match: Tony Taggart (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,566

Table

12th Grimsby P6 Pts 8 GD -1

13th Havant & W P6 Pts 8 GD -3

14th Aldershot P6 Pts 7 GD -1

An average start. I would be quite happy to finish 13th at the end of the year as the squad just does not have the quality at this level to push for anything much higher.

CountyHampWSep2013.png

Had to do the update this way becuase FM deleted match reports from the start of the month :@

Think we're doing quite well, but the performance against Grimsby showed we have a long way to go before we're ready to challenge for the playoffs. Hyde, Nuneaton and Barrow are all struggling, so I suspect a poor run coming.

October 2013

Chester 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Havant & W's Sergio Sánchez overshadowed events on what was a wet evening at The Deva Stadium.

Havant & W were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Player of the Match: Elliott Johnson (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,464

Tamworth 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Tamworth in their Blue Square Bet Premier game at The Lamb Ground.

The first incident of note was on 29 minutes as Tamworth were denied claims by Richard Tait for a penalty.

The match was remarkable for the number of fouls committed by both teams, seemingly more concerned with disrupting the flow of the game than playing it.

Player of the Match: Phil Swift (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,188

Newport County 1-2 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville won a hard fought battle against Newport County on a fine autumn afternoon at Rodney Parade.

Young striker Michael Drennan got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring an incisive finish from 14 yards on 10 minutes. Centre-back Steve Williams then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Havant & Waterlooville another goal on 46 minutes.

An error from Newport County's Andrew Hughes allowed striker Jack Lyons to score a shot from 22 yards. Winger Aaron O'Connor's 86th minute strike proved the only consolation for Newport County.

Player of the Match: Michael Drennan (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,139

Havant & Waterlooville 1-2 Mansfield Town (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Youth was no match for experience on a cold and wet evening at Westleigh Park as a young Havant & W team succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of a much more experienced Mansfield side.

Striker Jake Speight gave Mansfield Town the lead with an accurate finish in the 28th minute. Speight added his 2nd goal of the game with an accurate finish from inside the penalty area on 61 minutes.

Midfielder Christian Nanetti's 63rd minute strike proved the only consolation for Havant & Waterlooville.

Player of the Match: Jake Speight (Mansfield)

Attendance: 2,860

Havant & Waterlooville 1-0 Cambridge United (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Cambridge United on a mild autumnal afternoon at Westleigh Park.

The first noteworthy incident of the match proved to be controversial, with Cambridge United seeing a goal disallowed. With the game nearing an end, it was Michael Drennan who scored a well timed close range finish to give Havant & Waterlooville the lead on 90 minutes.

Drennan's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Havant & W were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Player of the Match: Alex Coleman (Cambridge)

Attendance: 3,020

Southport 0-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Southport on a breezy evening at Haig Avenue.

Midfielder Leon Redwood gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with an accurate finish in the 13th minute.

Attendance: 669

Dartford 1-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville were held to a draw by Dartford in a close-fought Blue Square Bet Premier match played at Griffin Park.

An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Dan Thomas allowed young striker Tom Hammond to score an incisive finish from 13 yards. Young striker Michael Drennan equalised for Havant & Waterlooville after 27 minutes with a placed shot from close range which hit the inside of the post before crossing the line.

Player of the Match: Richard Rose (Dartford)

Attendance: 1,278

Table

4th Mansfield P20 GD +11 Pts 38

5th Havant & WP20 GD +9 Pts 38

6th Hereford P20 GD +16 Pts 36

Still performing well in the league, though the number of goals has drastically dropped (I suspect the patch?). I'm definitely starting to get itchy feet, though - I applied for Exeter's manager job (9th BSP), but was turned down.

I'll keep an eye out for other good jobs, but if things remain good in Hampshire, I may stay for another year or two.

November 2013

Lewes 0-3 Havant & Waterlooville (FA Cup 4th Qual. Rnd)

Havant & Waterlooville overcame a resilient Lewes side in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round game at The Dripping Pan this afternoon.

Striker Jack Lyons gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a placed shot in the 75th minute. Striker Scott Jones doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a weak close range effort on 85 minutes.

Young striker Shaquile Coulthirst completed the rout with an incisive finish from 16 yards on 93 minutes.

Player of the Match: Josh Low (Havant & W)

Attendance: 832

Havant & Waterlooville 2-2 Gateshead (Blue Square Bet Premier)

After a 2-2 draw at Westleigh Park against Havant & Waterlooville, a key member of the Gateshead side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this Blue Square Bet Premier fixture with a draw.

Experienced centre-back James Curtis gave Gateshead the lead with a header in the 32nd minute. Young striker Michael Drennan then equalised for Havant & Waterlooville in the 43rd minute with a well timed close range finish.

Striker Jack Lyons put Havant & Waterlooville in front in the 62nd minute with a placed shot. Midfielder Ross Gray equalised for Gateshead after 71 minutes with a powerful effort from 23 yards.

Player of the Match: James Curtis (Gateshead)

Attendance: 2,511

Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Rochdale (FA Cup 1st Rnd)

Havant & Waterlooville will have undoubtedly been the more contented of the two teams after clinching a somewhat surprising 1-1 draw against Rochdale.

Midfielder Cameron Hepple gave Rochdale the lead with an accurate finish in the 18th minute. Midfielder Leon Redwood equalised for Havant & Waterlooville after 56 minutes with a tame effort.

Then followed controversy as Rochdale were denied claims by striker George Barker for a penalty.

Player of the Match: Robert Wilson (Rochdale)

Attendance: 3,046

Havant & Waterlooville 0-1 Aldershot Town (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Aldershot's Craig Reid overshadowed events on what was a wet afternoon at Westleigh Park.

Centre-back Tom Flanagan gave Aldershot Town the lead with a close range header in the 62nd minute.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Player of the Match: Tom Flanagan (Aldershot)

Attendance: 3,002

Havant & Waterlooville 2-0 Hendon (FA Trophy 1st Rnd)

A young Havant & W side showed that you can win with kids as they came out on top against a much more experienced Hendon team on a fine autumn afternoon at Westleigh Park.

Journeyman midfielder Josh Low gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a fierce shot in the 13th minute. Young striker Michael Drennan completed the scoring for Havant & Waterlooville with a well executed finish on 34 minutes.

Attendance: 2,149

Rochdale 1-3 Havant & Waterlooville (FA Cup 1st Rnd replay)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Havant & W's Shaquile Coulthirst overshadowed events on what was a breezy evening at Spotland.

Centre-back Steffan Jones gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a firm diving header from inside the six-yard box in the 19th minute. Midfielder Andrew Tutte then equalised for Rochdale in the 62nd minute with a close range header.

Then came the turning point as Rochdale's George Donnelly was sent off on 66 minutes. Young striker Michael Drennan then put Havant & Waterlooville in front after 106 minutes with a well struck effort.

When Kennedy gave away a penalty, Sinclair confidently stepped up to score from the spot.

Player of the Match: Dan Thomas (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,945

Havant & Waterlooville 0-1 Macclesfield Town (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Macclesfield put their usual poor discipline to one side as they defeated Havant & W on a mild autumnal afternoon at Westleigh Park.

Macclesfield Town's winner came through Luke Jones as he seized on Leon Redwood's mistake to score a penalty. Jones' impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Havant & W covered a lot of ground but also conceded far too many fouls, meaning their effort was often for nothing.

Player of the Match: Yann Nsaku (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,876

League Table

6th Hereford P23 GD +17 Pts 40

7th Havant & W P23 GD +7 Pts 39

8th Exeter P24 GD +11 Pts 38

A relatively poor month in the league was made much better by the cup wins. I play Crystal Palace at Selhurst in the FA Cup, and have a home tie against BSS side Eastleigh in the FA Trophy.

December 2013 Part One

Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Hereford United (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Marlon Jackson played the part of super-sub for Hereford as The Bulls came from behind to claim a draw against Havant & W on a wet evening at Westleigh Park.

Midfielder Cameron Edwards gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a tidy finish from 16 yards in the 36th minute. Striker Marlon Jackson equalised for Hereford United after 79 minutes with a close range effort.

Player of the Match: Sam Minihan (Hereford)

Attendance: 2,446

Crystal Palace 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville (FA Cup 2nd Rnd)

Youth and experience were unable to be separated on a wet afternoon at Selhurst Park as a young Havant & W team played out a draw against a much more experienced Crystal Palace side.

Midfielder Sammy Clingan had a chance to score from the penalty spot for Crystal Palace on the 47 minute mark but missed his spot-kick.

Player of the Match: Paddy McCarthy (Crystal Palace)

Attendance: 7,250

Havant & Waterlooville 0-0 Exeter City (Blue Square Bet Premier)

One of the league's best defences continued their fine form as Exeter shared the spoils with Havant & W on a breezy evening at Westleigh Park.

Attendance: 2,597

Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Eastleigh (FA Trophy 2nd Rnd)

Havant & Waterlooville were held to a draw by Eastleigh in a close-fought FA Trophy 2nd Rnd match played at Westleigh Park.

Young full-back Elliott Johnson gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a tap-in in the 50th minute. Eastleigh's equaliser came through Jamie McGuire as he seized on Frank Sinclair's mistake to score a penalty.

Player of the Match: Jamie Strong (Eastleigh)

Attendance: 2,111

After the Eastleigh game, I recieved a job offer from Carmarthen, who I had applied to previously.

74DCE3447894E51FF93368768456F62E06EDBFF2

I will probably reject it due to a lack of much room to improve the squad, as well as a very low wage offer (I'm on £600 p/w at Havant).

December 2013 Part 2

Havant & Waterlooville 1-1 Crystal Palace (FA Cup 2nd Rnd Replay)

(Havant & W won 5-4 on penalties)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Crystal Palace's Darcy Blake overshadowed events on what was a wet evening at Westleigh Park.

With the game nearing an end, it was Vincent Péricard who scored an accurate finish to give Havant & Waterlooville the lead on 112 minutes. The Havant & Waterlooville fans might have hoped that Péricard had scored the winner but it was not to be.

With Havant & Waterlooville already beginning to celebrate, midfielder Mile Jedinak then scored a fierce shot in extra-time to snatch the equaliser for Crystal Palace. In the shootout that followed it was left to young midfielder Phil Swift to keep a cool head and smash home the winning penalty for Havant & Waterlooville.

Player of the Match: Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace)

Attendance: 3,664

Forest Green Rovers 1-5 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A close-fought game at The New Lawn ended in a one-sided result as Havant & Waterlooville defeated Forest Green Rovers 5-1. A brace from Cameron Edwards helped Havant & W to victory.

Midfielder Cameron Edwards got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring an incisive finish from 11 yards on 2 minutes. Striker Jack Lyons doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a well struck effort from 27 yards on 9 minutes.

Redwood scored with a nice effort from 13 yards in the 22nd minute to extend the lead further. Midfielder Jamie Collins pulled one back for Forest Green Rovers after 58 minutes with a well struck effort from 26 yards.

Edwards added his 2nd goal of the game with a nice effort from 12 yards on 78 minutes. Experienced striker Vincent Péricard completed the rout with a real poacher's effort from 15 yards on 87 minutes.

Player of the Match: Cameron Edwards (Havant & W)

Attendance: 627

Havant & Waterlooville 2-2 Braintree Town (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Braintree's Peter Nolan overshadowed events on what was a wet afternoon at Westleigh Park.

Braintree captain Sean Marks gave Braintree Town the lead with a shot from 26 yards which went in off the post in the 56th minute. Midfielder Cameron Edwards then equalised for Havant & Waterlooville in the 57th minute with a finish executed with aplomb.

Centre-back Bradley Fraser then put Braintree Town in front after 65 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 12 yards. Young striker Michael Drennan equalised for Havant & Waterlooville after 84 minutes with a tidy finish from 18 yards.

Player of the Match: Cameron Edwards (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,820

League Table

8th Exeter City P29 GD +12 Pts 46

9th Havant & W P27 GD +11 Pts 45

10th Chester P28 GD +5 Pts 42

Sheer number of games made things difficult at times, but an excellent if hard working victory against Palace in the cup. The reward is a trip to Premiership strugglers Norwich. If I beat Eastleigh in the FA Trophy, I would play Exeter in the next round.

January 2014

Norwich 7-3 Havant & Waterlooville (FA Cup 3rd Round)

In my view, we were good enough in attack, even leading 2-1 at one point. Sadly, our defence played like headless chickens.

Barrow 3-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Barrow put their usual poor discipline to one side as they defeated Havant & W on a mild summer's evening at Holker Street.

Barrow finally took the lead when striker Cherno Samba scored a fierce shot on 43 minutes. Striker Jordan Hugill doubled Barrow's lead with a well timed finish from close range on 75 minutes.

Winger Sean McConville completed the rout with a nice effort from 10 yards on 82 minutes.

Player of the Match: Jordan Hugill (Barrow)

Attendance: 982

Havant & Waterlooville 1-3 Exeter City (FA Trophy 3rd Rnd)

In an even game at Westleigh Park, Exeter City came away with victory in their FA Carlsberg Trophy Third Round match.

An error from Exeter City's Stuart Anderson allowed young striker Michael Drennan to score a deftly executed finish. Midfielder Josh Dawkin then equalised for Exeter City in the 70th minute with a deftly executed finish.

Young striker Jamie Reid then put Exeter City in front after 77 minutes with a placed shot from close range. Young striker Tom Nichols finally rounded off their victory on 82 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 18 yards.

Player of the Match: Tom Nichols (Exeter)

Attendance: 2,334

Harrogate Town 1-5 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

In what had been billed as a close encounter, Harrogate Town were trounced 5-1 by Havant & Waterlooville at Wetherby Road.

Midfielder Leon Redwood got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a finish tucked away with consummate ease on 3 minutes. Experienced striker Vincent Péricard doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a real poacher's effort from 17 yards on 28 minutes.

Saunders scored with a well timed close range finish in the 42nd minute to extend the lead further. Striker Jack Lyons then added to the lead with an accurate finish on 62 minutes.

An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Dan Thomas allowed striker Luke Dean to score a fine header from point-blank range. Centre-back Steffan Jones completed the rout with a close range header on 86 minutes.

Player of the Match: Leon Redwood (Havant & W)

Attendance: 519

Havant & Waterlooville 1-0 Woking (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Woking's Robert Maloney overshadowed events on what was a wet evening at Westleigh Park.

Midfielder Cameron Edwards got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a shot from 21 yards on 3 minutes. Then followed controversy as Havant & Waterlooville were denied claims by young midfielder Phil Swift for a penalty.

Player of the Match: Jack Parkinson (Woking)

Attendance: 2,557

Havant & Waterlooville 5-1 Grimsby Town (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A close-fought game at Westleigh Park ended in a one-sided result as Havant & Waterlooville defeated Grimsby Town 5-1. A brace from Vincent Péricard helped Havant & W to victory.

Centre-back Steffan Jones gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a fine header from point-blank range in the 11th minute. Experienced striker Vincent Péricard doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a deftly executed finish on 29 minutes.

Péricard added his 2nd goal of the game with a tap-in on 39 minutes. Journeyman midfielder Mark McVeigh then added to the lead with a finish tucked away with consummate ease on 45 minutes.

McVeigh added his 2nd goal of the game with a deftly executed finish on 78 minutes. Striker Liam Hearn pulled one back for Grimsby Town after 84 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Attendance: 2,794

League

4th Macclesfield P33 GD +19 Pts 59

5th Havant & W P33 GD +18 Pts 58

6th Hereford P34 GD +15 Pts 58

League is after the first Feburary game.

A generally good month, with the side putting unacceptable results against Barrow and Exeter behind them and whacking then-leaders Grimsby. I hope the improvements continue in earnest.

Feburary 2014

Kidderminster Harriers 3-3 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

In an enthralling match which saw both sides throw caution to the wind, it was football which was ultimately the winner.

As fans left Aggborough they will no doubt have agreed that neither team deserved to lose this game.

Things did not get off to a good start for Havant & Waterlooville as young centre-back Callum Howe seized on an error by Stuart Searle to score a fine header from point-blank range. An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Cameron Edwards allowed striker Jamille Matt to score a lucky strike. Striker Troy Hewitt pulled one back for Havant & Waterlooville after 67 minutes with a placed shot.

Hewitt equalised for Havant & Waterlooville in the 78th minute with a well timed finish from close range. An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Yann Nsaku allowed Matt to score a fluke goal. The Kidderminster Harriers fans might have hoped that Matt had scored the winner but it was not to be.

With Kidderminster Harriers already beginning to celebrate, Hewitt scored a well timed close range finish in injury-time to snatch the equaliser for Havant & Waterlooville. Better late than never for Havant & Waterlooville and the fans were clearly delighted with Hewitt's impact.

Player of the Match: Troy Hewitt (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,145

Bath City 0-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & W's match against Bath will have been a meaningful one for Havant & W's Josh Low as he was able to celebrate victory over his former club.

Midfielder Leon Redwood gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a simple finish from close in in the 22nd minute. It was a superb solo effort and Redwood looked delighted. Havant & Waterlooville's Matthew Saunders was back in the dressing room after earning himself a second yellow card in the 82nd minute.

Havant & W had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Player of the Match: Gethin Jones (Bath)

Attendance: 1,172

Nuneaton Town 0-3 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Nuneaton were shorter by an average of 0'2" per player and were ultimately outmatched on the day at Liberty Way, falling to defeat against their bigger foes.

Midfielder Steve Ramsey gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with an effort from 23 yards in the 44th minute. Striker Jack Lyons doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a real poacher's effort from 18 yards on 49 minutes.

Ramsey completed the rout on 64 minutes with a finish executed with aplomb.

Player of the Match: Jack Lyons (Havant & W)

Attendance: 801

Havant & Waterlooville 6-4 Chester (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Both teams served up a game to remember as Havant & Waterlooville came out on top in this 6-4 goal-fest.

One pundit commented that this match should be taped and shown to any doubters of the beautiful game.

Striker Jack Lyons got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish on 8 minutes. Striker Troy Hewitt doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a nice effort from 15 yards on 14 minutes.

Lyons added his 2nd goal of the game with an accurate finish on 19 minutes. Midfielder Matthew Saunders then added to the lead with a real poacher's effort from 16 yards on 27 minutes.

Midfielder Scott Phelan pulled one back for Chester after 35 minutes with a shot from 24 yards out. Hewitt added his 2nd goal of the game with an incisive finish from 19 yards on 44 minutes.

Striker Tony Gray pulled one back for Chester after 47 minutes with an accurate finish. Hewitt added his 3rd goal of the game with a real poacher's effort from 15 yards on 55 minutes.

An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Steffan Jones allowed Gray to score a well timed close range finish. Young midfielder Billy Daniels pulled one back for Chester after 87 minutes with a powerful effort.

Player of the Match: Troy Hewitt (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,898

League Table

1st Havant & W P36 GD +24 Pts 67

2nd Mansfield P36 GD +19 Pts 67

3rd Kidderminster P36 GD +23 Pts 64

Only 3 games in Feburary, which makes me ask why we played so many earlier in the year. I had signed a new keeper, Scott Searle from Chelmsford in time for the Kidderminster game, but he will now be dropped to the bench in favour of my old #1, Dan Thomas. 7 goals in 3 games is far too many.

March 2014 Part 1

Lincoln City 1-2 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Lincoln, who have one of the league's poorest disciplinary records, suffered defeat against Havant & W on a mild spring afternoon at Sincil Bank.

Lincoln City finally took the lead when striker Kal Naismith scored a real poacher's effort from 14 yards on 48 minutes. Striker Troy Hewitt then equalised for Havant & Waterlooville in the 78th minute with a nice effort from 16 yards.

Midfielder Matthew Saunders then clinched a late winner on 85 minutes with a free kick from the edge of the area. Saunders' impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Attendance: 1,547

Havant & Waterlooville 3-0 Tamworth (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Tamworth, who have one of the league's poorest disciplinary records, suffered defeat against Havant & W on a breezy afternoon at Westleigh Park.

An error from Tamworth's Lee Hendrie allowed journeyman midfielder Mark McVeigh to score a well executed finish. Midfielder Cameron Edwards doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a placed shot on 90 minutes.

Striker Jack Lyons completed the rout with a close range header on 92 minutes.

Attendance: 2,932

Mansfield Town 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Mansfield went in as the shorter team physically by an average of 0'1" per player but proved capable of matching their opponents and took a share of the spoils on a wet evening at Field Mill.

Havant & W covered a lot of ground but also conceded far too many fouls, meaning their effort was often for nothing.

Player of the Match: Leon Redwood (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,659

Youth Intake

9477DA97C69B5609A28BEDFA6E48C9CF12DBC248

This year's youth intake is a little more usual for my level, though the two 4* PA strikers may have some sort of a chance of First XI action.

March 2014 Part 2

Havant & Waterlooville 3-0 Southport (Blue Square Bet Premier)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as Southport lost to Havant & W on a wet afternoon at Westleigh Park.

The first incident of note was on 36 minutes as Southport were denied claims by Adam Hajdú for a penalty. Southport also saw their 65th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Striker Troy Hewitt gave Havant & Waterlooville the lead with a nice effort from 17 yards in the 66th minute. Centre-back Steffan Jones doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a close range effort on 73 minutes.

Full-back Chris Arthur completed the rout with a nice effort from 11 yards on 87 minutes.

Player of the Match: Chris Arthur (Havant & W)

Attendance: 2,859

Cambridge United 1-2 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Havant & Waterlooville recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Cambridge United on a breezy afternoon at The Abbey Stadium.

An error from Cambridge United's Tom Shaw allowed midfielder Matthew Saunders to score a powerful effort. Striker Troy Hewitt doubled Havant & Waterlooville's lead with a placed shot on 43 minutes.

Young striker Jake Kirby's 69th minute strike proved the only consolation for Cambridge United.

Player of the Match: Alex Coleman (Cambridge)

Attendance: 1,721

League Table

1st Havant & W P42 GD +34 Pts 83

2nd Mansfield P42 GD +21 Pts 78

3rd Hereford P42 GD +21 Pts 74

Another good month gives me a 5 point lead with 4 to play..the run-ins for myself and Mansfield are as follows:

[b]Havant[/b]                           [b]Mansfield[/b]
Gateshead (A) [7th]                   Macclesfield (A) [6th]
Aldershot (A) [17th]                   Braintree (A) [10th]
Dartford (H) [12th]                    Exeter (H) [5th]
Hereford (A) [3rd]                      Woking (H) [15th]

April 2014

Gateshead 0-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Havant & W's Elliott Johnson overshadowed events on what was a wet afternoon at The International Stadium.

Havant & Waterlooville finally took the lead when striker Troy Hewitt scored a well struck effort on 46 minutes. With Gateshead staring at defeat, there was controversy as striker Ryan Donaldson then had a penalty shout turned down.

Things went from bad to worse for Gateshead as Donaldson earned himself an early bath for ungentlemanly conduct on 58 minutes. Then followed controversy as Havant & Waterlooville were denied claims by journeyman midfielder Mark McVeigh for a penalty.

Havant & W covered a lot of ground with some impressive running but their hard work was often for nothing.

Player of the Match: Carl Magnay (Gateshead)

Attendance: 757

Macclesfield 0-1 Mansfield. Gap: 5 points.

Aldershot Town 0-3 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Aldershot Town succumbed to a 3-0 loss in this afternoon's Blue Square Bet Premier clash at The Recreation Ground. A brace from Vincent Péricard helped Havant & W to victory.

Experienced striker Vincent Péricard got Havant & Waterlooville off to a flyer by scoring a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 2 minutes. Péricard added his 2nd goal of the game with a nice effort from 21 yards on 12 minutes.

Striker Troy Hewitt completed the rout with a tidy finish from 19 yards on 25 minutes.

Player of the Match: Vincent Péricard (Havant & W)

Attendance: 1,596

Braintree 0-2 Mansfield. Gap: 5 points.

Havant & Waterlooville 2-1 Dartford (Blue Square Bet Premier)

On a wet afternoon at Westleigh Park, Havant & W had the honour of lifting the Blue Square Bet Premier title.

Striker Johnny Cosgrove gave Dartford the lead with an incisive finish from 18 yards in the 31st minute. With Havant & Waterlooville staring at defeat, there was controversy as striker Troy Hewitt then had a penalty shout turned down.

Hewitt equalised for Havant & Waterlooville in the 36th minute with a close range effort. Midfielder Tom Champion showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted Havant & Waterlooville a goal on 57 minutes.

Havant & Waterlooville's winner came through Cameron Edwards as he seized on Tom Champion's mistake to score a placed shot. Edwards' impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Attendance: 2,996

Mansfield 2-2 Exeter. Havant & Waterlooville are champions.

Hereford United 3-1 Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Bet Premier)

On a mild spring afternoon at Edgar Street, Havant & W had the honour of lifting the Blue Square Bet Premier title, despite losing 1-3 to Hereford.

Striker Liam Dickinson got Hereford United off to a flyer by scoring a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 5 minutes. An error from Havant & Waterlooville's Steffan Jones allowed young striker Josh Edwards to score a nice effort from 11 yards. Experienced striker Vincent Péricard gave the Havant & Waterlooville fans a glimmer of hope after 62 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Midfielder Marley Watkins finally rounded off their victory on 81 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 14 yards.

Player of the Match: Marley Watkins (Hereford)

Attendance: 2,940

Season analysis to come soon.

Havant_and_waterlooville_logo.PNG

2013-14 Season review - Havant & Waterlooville

League

I am totally surprised that we were able to pull off the title. Early on in the season, I would have been happy with mid-table, as losses such as a 4-0 thrashing by Exeter indicated we were heading for. However, a few key signings seemed to turn things around.

FA Trophy

Disappointing here. The first round was a no-contest (though we were poor up front), whilst it took us two games against BSS side Eastleigh. Exeter were simply the better side.

FA Cup

After a straight forward tie against Lewes, two battling victories against Football League sides took us to Carrow Road. Our attackers played well, even sending us 2-1 up. Sadly our defenders played as if they were still in Havant, allowing Holt to run riot.

2014 World Cup

England's group consisted of Italy, Egypt and, playing in their first World Cup, Thailand. England won all 3 games before eventually losing in the quarter finals. The big shock of the World Cup was hosts Brazil failing to qualify from their group, which consisted of Uzbekistan, New Zealand and France.

Best Player

Vincent Péricard

Another excellent season from last year's star signing, though his injuries restricted his chances.

Best Signing

Troy Hewitt

After a few games, including two hattricks, opponents began to wish they had a wooden horse, such was Troy's impact in the late season.

Finally...

A89782858F52A1390982A1D024981113668FE396

And so I look for my second club...

2013-14 Winners and Losers

EPL Champions: Man City

EPL relegated: Huddersfield, Sunderland, Watford

Championship Champions: Cardiff

Promoted: Blackburn, Wigan

Relegated: Sheff Utd, Scunthorpe, Bournemouth

League One Champions: Charlton

Promoted: Barnsley, Colchester

Relegated: Chesterfield, Bradford, Crewe, Yeovil

League Two Champions: Wrexham

Promoted: Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Oxford

Relegated: Cheltenham, Barnet

Blue Square Premier Champions: Havant & Waterlooville

Promoted: Chester

Relegated: Nuneaton, Southport, Hyde, Harrogate

Blue Square North Champions: Altrincham

Promoted: Kettering

Relegated: Vauxhall, Solihull Moors, Histon

Blue Square South Champions: AFC Hornchurch

Promoted: Salisbury

Relegated: Staines, Wealdstone, Bishop's Stortford

Promoted from lower leagues: Basingstoke, Chorley, North Ferriby, Bury Town, Carshalton, Hendon

FA Cup winners: Chelsea (v Birmingham - won 6-3!)

Capital One Cup winners: Man Utd :( (v Everton)

Community Shield winners: Man City (v Arsenal)

Champions League winners: Man City (v Barcelona)

Europa League winners: Arsenal (v Bayern Munich)

The Job Hunt

So I set the game on holiday mode, to apply to all and return if and when offered a job...

Hereford United - Herefordshire - Blue Square Premier

A6463E7D2F55B26231F0201A630C0FB6B865F11A

This offer was quite tempting, though it meant staying in the BSP. However, a couple of League Two jobs became available, so I delayed and applied for those...

Port Vale - Staffordshire - League 2

E6FD381572AAB271912B066804FFEF0536DA70A4

This offer looked pretty good, given there was room to move within the wage budget. Therefore I accepted. The Valiants are struggling, 23rd in League Two, and already out of the JPT and League Cup. My first game will actually be in the FA Cup, against Kingstonian. Finances are awful - we're nearly 800k in debt, with the situation only about to get worse. This one means hard work ahead...

Squad

AF8CE7025C8325BAC3114C7DA4B167E39F8BDC2D

Definitely needs a lot of improvement. Things are not helped by several apparent key players being out until the end of the year.

November 2014

Port Vale 5-1 Kingstonian (FA Cup)

Despite keeping pointless news posts about failed signings and foreign job appointments from September, FM failed to retain this match report. I am not happy as it retained one from the same day for AFC Wimbledon. Priorities need fixing, SI..

5 goals from Ashley Grimes, who had been on a goal drought made this first game an excellent start for me.

Port Vale 2-2 Fleetwood Town (League Two)

Port Vale had their midfield to thank on a wet evening at Vale Park as they showed their strikers how to finish.

Striker David Ball gave Fleetwood Town the lead with a well struck effort in the 17th minute. Port Vale's equaliser came through Ashley Vincent as he seized on Andrew Steeves' mistake to score an accurate finish. Then followed controversy as Port Vale were denied claims by full-back Doug Loft for a penalty.

Winger Charlie Sheringham then put Fleetwood Town in front after 88 minutes with a simple finish from close in. The Fleetwood Town fans might have hoped that Sheringham had scored the winner but it was not to be.

With Fleetwood Town already beginning to celebrate, Vincent scored an incisive finish from 12 yards in injury-time to snatch the equaliser for Port Vale. Better late than never for Port Vale and the fans were clearly delighted with Vincent's impact.

Player of the Match: Ashley Vincent (Port Vale)

Attendance: 4,146

Morecambe 0-2 Port Vale (League Two)

An efficient performance from Port Vale saw them run out 2-0 winners over Morecambe at The Globe Arena.

Loft scored from the penalty spot after Talbot gave away a penalty. Striker Ashley Grimes completed the scoring for Port Vale with a deftly executed finish from 21 yards which found its target via the post on 27 minutes.

With Morecambe staring at defeat, there was controversy as striker Mark McAllister then had a penalty shout turned down.

Player of the Match: Ashley Grimes (Port Vale)

Attendance: 2,270

AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Port Vale (League Two)

AFC Wimbledon enjoyed a considerable height advantage over their opponents and used it to full effect en route to victory on a wet evening at The Fans' Stadium - Kingsmeadow.

Experienced striker Jack Midson got AFC Wimbledon off to a flyer by scoring a well timed finish from close range on 4 minutes. Striker Andrew Barrowman completed the scoring for AFC Wimbledon with a powerful effort on 38 minutes.

Player of the Match: Jonathan Waterworth (AFC Wimbledon)

Attendance: 4,255

Chester 0-0 Port Vale (League Two)

One of the league's worst defences put in a battling display as Chester shared the spoils with Port Vale on a fine autumn afternoon at The Deva Stadium.

The first noteworthy incident of the match proved to be controversial, with Chester seeing a goal disallowed.

Player of the Match: Courtney Meppen-Walters (Chester)

Attendance: 4,708

Port Vale 1-0 Havant & Waterlooville (League Two)

Port Vale's win over Havant & W was a momentous occasion for Mark Schueler as he celebrated a victory against his former employers.

Port Vale finally took the lead when midfielder Lee Frecklington scored an accurate finish on 61 minutes.

Port Vale had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Player of the Match: Lee Frecklington (Port Vale)

Attendance: 4,176

Port Vale 1-0 Dagenham and Redbridge (League Two)

One of the league's best defences was surprisingly undone as Dag & Red lost to Port Vale on a mild autumnal afternoon at Vale Park.

Things turned sour for Dagenham and Redbridge when midfielder Brice Irie-Bi earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 25 minutes. Young striker Aaron Brown gave Port Vale the lead with an accurate finish in the 66th minute.

Then followed controversy as Port Vale were denied claims by midfielder Etienne Esajas for a penalty.

Port Vale had several clear cut chances but failed to make them count.

Player of the Match: Luke Wilkinson (Dag & Red)

Attendance: 4,145

Northampton Town 2-3 Port Vale (League Two)

Port Vale recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Northampton Town on a mild autumnal evening at Sixfields Stadium. A brace from Ashley Grimes helped Port Vale to victory.

Striker Ashley Grimes got Port Vale off to a flyer by scoring a well timed close range finish on 3 minutes. Striker Michael O'Halloran doubled Port Vale's lead with a placed shot on 10 minutes.

Grimes added his 2nd goal of the game with a fluke goal on 23 minutes. Midfielder Bobby Grant pulled one back for Northampton Town after 59 minutes with a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Grant put Northampton Town back in with a shout on 67 minutes with a tidy finish from 15 yards but it was too little, too late.

Player of the Match: Michael O'Halloran (Port Vale)

Attendance: 3,864

Mansfield Town 2-2 Port Vale (FA Cup 2nd Rnd)

Port Vale were held to a draw by Mansfield Town in a close-fought FA Cup 2nd Rnd match played at Field Mill.

Striker Jason Oswell got Mansfield Town off to a flyer by scoring an incisive finish from 16 yards after just one minute. Striker Michael O'Halloran then equalised for Port Vale in the 37th minute with an effort from 25 yards.

Striker Ashley Grimes then put Port Vale in front after 72 minutes with a well timed finish from close range. With time rapidly running out, Oswell scored a real poacher's effort from 11 yards to equalise for Mansfield Town.

Better late than never for Mansfield Town and the fans were clearly delighted with Oswell's impact.

Player of the Match: Jason Oswell (Mansfield)

Attendance: 4,045

League Table

16th Rochdale P22 GD +6 Pts 27

17th Port Vale P23 GD -5 Pts 27

18th Northampton P22 GD -4 Pts 25

Overall a good first month, though the defending needs some serious improving. The match against Mansfield was a disappointment, but we will face Southampton if we can take the Stags out at Vale Park.

December 2014

Port Vale 0-0 Plymouth Argyle (League Two)

Goal-friendly Plymouth drew 0-0 against Port Vale on a mild autumnal afternoon at Vale Park.

Port Vale had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Player of the Match: Curtis Jones (Plymouth)

Attendance: 4,399

Port Vale 5-1 Mansfield Town (FA Cup 2nd Rnd replay)

A close-fought game at Vale Park ended in a one-sided result as Port Vale defeated Mansfield Town 5-1. The game will be remembered for a remarkable display of goalscoring from Port Vale's Michael O'Halloran.

Striker Michael O'Halloran gave Port Vale the lead with a well struck effort from 25 yards in the 17th minute. O'Halloran added his 2nd goal of the game with an accurate finish from 24 yards on 38 minutes.

O'Halloran added his 3rd goal of the game with a real poacher's effort from 16 yards on 45 minutes. O'Halloran added his 4th goal of the game with a real poacher's effort from 17 yards on 52 minutes.

Striker Jason Oswell pulled one back for Mansfield Town after 60 minutes with a shot which owed an assist to the woodwork. Midfielder Sam Deering completed the rout with a shot from 26 yards which went in off the post on 90 minutes.

Player of the Match: Michael O'Halloran (Port Vale)

Attendance: 2,977

Port Vale 0-0 Rochdale (League Two)

After a 0-0 draw at Vale Park against Port Vale, a key member of the Rochdale side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this npower Football League Two fixture with a draw.

The match began in controversial circumstances as Port Vale were denied claims by Michael O'Halloran for a penalty.

Port Vale could have had a harder time of it but their opponents seemed keen to waste possession by shooting from long range.

Player of the Match: Shaun Barker (Rochdale)

Attendance: 4,436

Southend United 4-3 Port Vale (League Two)

Both teams served up a game to remember as Southend United came out on top in this 4-3 goal-fest.

One pundit commented that this match should be taped and shown to any doubters of the beautiful game.

An error from Port Vale's Chris Neal allowed striker George Donnelly to score a well timed finish from close range. Striker Ashley Grimes then equalised for Port Vale in the 46th minute with a well struck effort from 25 yards.

Donnelly then added his 2nd goal of the game with a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 53 minutes. Full-back Sean Clohessy suffered the ignominy of scoring a calamitous own goal in the 63rd minute.

Striker Michael O'Halloran then put Port Vale in front after 65 minutes with a well timed finish from close range. Southend United also saw their 76th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Experienced striker Freddy Eastwood then equalised for Southend United in the 83rd minute with a close range finish which was timed impeccably. Eastwood clinched the winner on 87 minutes with a well struck effort.

Eastwood's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Player of the Match: Freddy Eastwood (Southend)

Attendance: 5,161

Port Vale 3-0 Bristol Rovers (League Two)

Experts are still wondering quite how Port Vale ended up 3-0 victors over Bristol Rovers after a game in which their opponents almost totally dominated. A brace from Ashley Grimes helped Port Vale to victory.

Striker Ashley Grimes got Port Vale off to a flyer by scoring a superb chip over the keeper from 23 yards after just one minute. Striker Michael O'Halloran doubled Port Vale's lead with a placed shot on 19 minutes.

Grimes completed the rout on 51 minutes with a powerful effort.

Player of the Match: Adam Jackson (Port Vale)

Attendance: 4,665

Chesterfield 1-1 Port Vale (League Two)

Port Vale were held to a draw by Chesterfield in a close-fought League Two match played at Proact Stadium.

Young striker Aaron Brown gave Port Vale the lead with a fine header from point-blank range in the 40th minute. Winger Billy Knott equalised for Chesterfield after 81 minutes with a diving header.

Player of the Match: Etienne Esajas (Port Vale)

Attendance: 5,241

Port Vale 2-0 Leyton Orient (League Two)

Leyton Orient enjoyed a considerable height advantage but were unable to overcome their shorter opponents, perhaps proving that on a breezy evening at Vale Park at least, brains were more important than brawn.

Striker Ashley Grimes gave Port Vale the lead with a well timed close range finish in the 68th minute. An error from Leyton Orient's Mathieu Baudry allowed midfielder Sam Deering to score a tidy finish from 14 yards.

Player of the Match: Matthew Bartlett (Port Vale)

Attendance: 4,155

League Table

15th Bury P27 GD 0 Pts 36

16th Port Vale P29 GD -1 Pts 36

17th Bradford P29 GD -11 Pts 36

Good wins contrasted by abysmal defending against Southend (my keeper got a 2 week fine for that one). I look to the New Year with a little bit of hope.

I can't believe you left Havant for Mickey Mouse FC.

I don't really think there was much choice. Havant were building a new stadium and I'd have had no money to sign League Two level players. It's telling that the club promoted one of the coaches I had signed to manager, and that the team are 24th, 11 points from safety.

• 3 weeks later...

January 2015

CountyPVJan2015_zps0ae19866.png

An excellent month, including a huge cup win over Southampton. The wins against Luton, and the cup game against Exeter (lovely reward for beating an EPL side :|) were nowhere near as close as the scoreline made them look.

• 3 weeks later...

February 2015

CountyPVFeb2015_zps96e37201.png

Another great month in the league, though the Crewe game was nervy at times. Hoping to keep the fine form up as we play Torquay and Yeovil in the next two games. Points from those would probably guarantee me a playoff place. The cup game was always going to be a loss, but the money from it has cleared a large amount of our debt.

• 2 weeks later...

March 2015

CountyPVMar2015_zpsced61d92.png

The league table is from later in April as I got a little carried away. A few too many draws in March, not helped by the fact that Ashley Grimes, my star striker, was suspended. I signed a guy called Assombalonga on loan from Watford as I am very short on strikers. If he keeps his performances up, he'll get a permanent deal if he'll accept low enough wages.

April 2015

CountyPVApr2015_zps87bb8ee7.png

The attack continued to struggle despite defensive excellence. I am most annoyed as Gillingham were several goals behind me come the last day, and went out and tonked Bradford (22nd place) 7-1! If that was real life I think the boys from Yorkshire would be answering some questions...

Archived