The Sammarinese Challenge

TWFL

Game 2 v Portugal (31)

Portugal were the side to beat in our group, but somehow sat at a rank of 31 coming in to the tournament. It was obvious from the opening whistle that we would struggle as Portugal struck just 6 minutes in to the match. Another followed soon after on 19 through Madureira and they continued to dominate the whole game and hit a third towards the end of the first half to dent out confidence and pretty much seal the match.

We fought back and managed to get a goal through Mularoni 5 minutes in to the second half, but that was how the scores would stay as Portugal rested their stars and were happy to sit back on the lead. We tried but failed against the brick wall hat was Portugal and now needed at least a draw against South Korea to progress, as they drew in their mach with Colombia to sit on 2 points, while we were in second on 3.

wqtf.jpg

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 3 V South Korea (44)

With the results as they were, we currently sat in second with 4, behind an already qualified Portugal on 6 points. That Left Colombia in last place with just the one point and South Korea on 2 with 2 draws.

We needed a draw to progress, while South Korea needed a win and both sides came out a little shaky at first due to the pressure of the match.

We probably started the better of the two sides, but quickly fell into a defensive mentality as South Korea had a good chance thwarted and we decided the attacking option wasn't worth the risk at this stage of the game.

It probably backfired as it gave South Korea free roam on the field and they started to dominated possession and field position. This eventually led to shots, and lots of them as Korea really tried to break us down.

In the 35th minute, they did. A nice strike just inside the area after some nice build up play left us reeling. The half ended 1-0 and I tried to rally the team, but the heads were down.

As we started the second half, we started slowly, but with more attacking oomph and that ferocity seemed to work like a wave as players slowly started to build in confidence and then work each other up. We clawed our way back in having a few shots of our own but they were all wayward, not managing to hit the target once all game.

I decided to change things up and gave Mularoni a bit more freedom up front. With 10 minutes left, we went all out as Korea started to back off and brick wall their line... A mistake we made in the first half.

In the 86th minute, Mularoni picked the ball up deep, and using that newly found freedom, he weaved his way single handedly to the box, dishing out a ball to Benvenuti. Instead of shooting though, he delicately tapped it off to a fully flying Mulaoni who placed it to the far corner, while the keeper was off balance. 1-1 and the fans went crazy!!! You would think that our government had helped all 32 thousand Sammarinese citizens to the match with the sound that lifted the stadium. With just 4 minutes left, Korea had one more valiant effort, but they were too deflated and simply didn't have enough kick to threaten again really as we let the fulltime whistle sound! Colombia won the other game to also end on 4 points, but our better record and win over them in the first match gave us the edge and we progressed behind Portugal.

qg2q.jpg

Table

Portugal......6.+1

San Marino..4...0

Colombia.....4..-1

South Korea.3..0

Game 5 V England (2)

We just so happened to face England. Second in the world, and with a point to prove. My mind was already on "congratulations boys, good run" but the team had other ideas as they went in full of confidence, sure they could provoke another upset.

Things started out well enough as we managed to keep up with the second best team in the world, but things quickly shifted as their pace was noticeably better than ours. Coates broke our defensive line and struck on 15 minutes to make it 1-0 and only 10 minutes later they made it 2 through Ashton who thumped it into the bottom right of the net.

We were struggling to contain them and the scoreline could and should of been more if not for a clearance off the line and a great save by Angelini. Somehow, we made it to half time only 2-0 down but way behind on not just the stats but also the score board.

In our usual fashion however, we hit England back and hit them hard, we flew out of the blocks and managed a couple of shots that went wayward, before we broke through with a Ugolini run, who had the pace to beat the England defenders and notch one back. 2-1! Game back on and the boys were ecstatic! I tried hard to contain myself but let out a smile. I had a cheeky feeling we would push the English... And we may have to, if not for a controversial penalty call. Cooper slotted home the penalty with 20 minutes to go, but it was enough to knock the wind out of our newly flying sail and we failed to get back in to it.

England totally ran rampant from that point, but Angelini pulled off a host of top saves to keep the score at 3-1. It looks like a tight match on the score sheet, but looking deeper, England taught us a thing or two about the final stages of World Cup football.

So we leave the tournament, this time making the Quarter finals... Not a bad result and in hindsight probably better than we deserved, but the team did well and I couldn't ask for more. Giancobbi was the only one retiring surprisingly, which means 34 year old Mularoni may hang around for another Euro and possibly World Cup if he is still good enough. We managed to coax him out of retirement though so Giancobbi will be around for a while longer but we certainly need more players coming though as we have one of the oldest staring XI's, but also one of the youngest benches going around.

tu37.jpg

The Semi Finals had

Argentina V Holland

and

England V Brazil

The European giants went in as favourites in both games, and both were tight with the Dutch managing to hit the net before Argentina came away with a 2-1 win, while Brazil managed a narrow 1-0 win over England to tee up an all South American Finale.

Brazil V Argentina

These two always but on a great show and this time it was nothing different. Brazil came out the stronger, but Argentina showed more muscle when it counted and came away with a 2-0 win to lift the cup once again. The proud nation not having lifted it since 2018, having come runner up just 4 years ago, in the previous tournament.

In some good new for the National side, Francesco Mularoni became the first Sammarinese player to win the golden Boot award, top scoring in the competition with 7 in just 5 matches, including a fantastic hattrick against Colombia. He managed to score in every group stage match, which is an incredible feat. He is also the first player to make it into the Dream Team, being the main striker in the World Cup XI squad.

So it has.... I don't have the game open right now and I can't find my original write up so here it is then, as I remember it!

Game 4 v Croatia (12)

We were quite lucky in our second placing as it meant we faced Croatia, who had somehow topped their group. Don't get me wrong, Croatia are a great side, and very similar to us in ranking, and were to all who watched, heavy favourites. It was blatant from the opening whistle that we would struggle. 4 minutes in Sablic proved this to be the case as Croatia went up early. Within 5 minutes we were on the back foot and Croatia were dominating us to no end. Somehow though, we hung in there and Angelini proved fantastic between the sticks, as we kept the score to 1-0 at the break.

We came out with much more determination and finally had a few shots that all seemed to be wayward, but signalled intent, which made me happier and buoyed my spirits a bit. But i wasn't until Mularoni finally hit the target that I became elated. Our first accurate shot, was also able to sneak into the net as it was 1-1 after 60 minutes! Croatia then went out for the kill and racked up a massive 27 shots and over 65% possession to really wear us down. They peppered the goals like no tomorrow and I was so sure we would slip behind again. As the clock tricked in to stoppage time, the desperation of Croatia was mounting. Extra time is a lottery, but penalties is even more of heartbreaking way to loose a match of this calibre.

The whistle sounded though, and through to the extra allotted 30 minutes we went. Croatia was once again commanding but unable to break the deadlock, but it was this commanding presence that would give us our slightest of hopes. Croatia pushed forward as penalties loomed which left them exposed at the back. To date, they had always been able to recover quite easily, but it was our speed of Mularoni, still quite fresh from lack of work up front that caught them off guard on a swift counter attack. As the ball was handed down from the left (Giancobbi I believe) gave the ball in to a steaming Mularoni who etched his name into World Cup and Sammarinese folklore with a stunning finish, 2 minutes from time. We went bananas as we ushered ourselves to the Quarter Finals. Our furthest ever achievement.

r6ha.jpg

Great effort leonavich, quarter-finals at the World Cup is brilliant. What are your plans now? Carrying on with FM13 or moving to FM14?

(ps. your 2nd round match seems to have gone walkabouts...)

Not too sure what I will be doing. I have a few players coming through now, and finally a defender! so the national team may finally have a shot! This time around, no players retired so I am sure I can keep at least Angelini, Mularoni and both forwards through to the end of the Euros, maybe even the World Cup. Ugolini and Giancobbi are still fairly decent, but my hope is to get Macina (currently rejecting me advances) and I just got the defender (the name slips me right now) who will be our best ever defender statistically speaking.

This, for the first time, gives us a solid player in at least each part of the field. I still don't know if we will win, but I think I will want to at least try one more Euro, and depending how e go there, one more World Cup. The updates take me a long time now with the stats, and its becoming a chore as a host of other thing like GTA, work, etc are consuming more time and making me procrastinate more about finishing of a season these days. I still enjoy the save though, so I will keep going for at least 2 more years, minimum!

Thanks Bill. Good luck in 2014.. I haven't started on that yet, but I may take up another challenge as I like to try my hand at different teams each iteration. I will see how I go at Euro, though its getting really tough to get game time in. I haven't done anything since the World Cup ended.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't touched FM in a while and don't think I will with GTA, Xbox One and PS4 arriving to my shores this Friday. So It looks as though this is as far as I will get. I will do a final summary of the overall performance and if I open up the game again, include my manager stats as well.

Absolutely awesome work guys!

I've just spent all morning skimming through the thread. :D Fantastic career Leonavich! And great work by everyone else too. I noticed FM14 Career by Bill (I think) and made my way here and glad I did... I even fist pumped at my desk after one of the WC results... >_>

Would you consider uploading your save leonavich? Understandable if you don't want to of course. ;)

Club 2012-42

Career Review

From the depths of Serie C1/A football to Champions League winners, San Marino has etched their name in history as one of the most successful teams in modern history. Their rise to fame over a 30 year glitering period under Leon Breakenridge has been highlighted by epic wins in play-off runs from the lowly ranks of Serie C to relegation battles in their Serie B and A exploits.

As such, we have highlighted a quick summary of each year the club performed in each division, starting with the Serie C:

2012-13

[b]Position:[/b]    5th

[b]Formation:[/b]   4-3-2-1

[b]Key Players:[/b] 

Alberto Galuppo (DC) 7.27 in 38 matches. Attained 4.84 tackles a game, scoring 2 goals and 3 Player of the Match awards.
Matteo Paro     (MC) 7.21 in 31 matches. 70% passing accuracy, picking up 4 goals, 8 assists and 2 Player of the Match awards.

[b]Star:[/b]

Davide Poletti (AML) 7.32 in 33 matches. 1.28 dribbles a game, equal top scorer with 11, while leading assists (15) and Player of the Match awards (7)

[b]Trophies:[/b]    

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     A decent year in which we ended 5th and failed in the second lef of the final, 4-0 to Lecce.

[b]Highlights:[/b]  

Federico Laurito was signed 
Made Playoffs

2013-14

[b]Position:[/b]    5th

[b]Formation:[/b]   4-3-2-1

Federico Laurito     (ST) 7.25 in 29 matches. 1.44 dribbles per game, 18 goals, 4 assits and 3 Player of the Match awards.
Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.33 in 26 matches. 5.31 tackles per game, 1 goal, 10 assists and 4 Player of the Match awards.

Vittorio Ferrero     (DC) 7.28 in 42 matches. 4.97 tackles per game, 71% passing accuracy, 3 goals and 3 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Closer than last season, once again ending 5th and losing in the Playoff finals.

Francesco Di Tacchio was signed on loan
Marco Marchionni was signed
Roberto Baggio was signed (coaching staff) 
Made Playoffs

2014-15

[b]Position:[/b]    6th

[b]Formation:[/b]   4-4-2

Alessio Luciani      (DR) 7.22 in 34 matches. 4.74 tackles per game, 76% pass accuracy, 2 goals and 2 assists.
Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.43 in 35 matches. 5.78 tackles per game, 6 goal, 14 assists and 7 Player of the Match awards.

Federico Laurito     (ST) 7.25 in 32 matches. 1.57 dribbles per game, 30 goals, 7 assists and 8 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Our lowest place of 6th in Serie C but a top goal scorer award to Laurito.

Francesco Di Tacchio was signed on a free
Laurito was top scorer of the league with 28 goals
Laurito was Player of the season
Laurito and Di Tacchio made Team of the Season.

2015-16

[b]Position:[/b]    3rd

[b]Formation:[/b]   4-1-3-2

Alessio Luciani      (DL) 7.30 in 41 matches. 5.02 tackles per game, 1 goal, 3 assists and 2 Player of the Match awards.
Federico Laurito     (ST) 7.46 in 40 matches. 1.42 dribbles per game, 28 goals, 11 assists and 5 Player of the Match awards.

Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.65 in 37 matches. 5.68 tackles per game, 11 goal, 17 assists and 7 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Highest position in 3rd, with our first promotion into Serie B.

Luigi Bertolini comes through youth system
Dejan Danza is signed
Di Tacchio was Player of the season
Di Tacchio made Team of the Season.

San Marino Team of Serie C XI

ST           ST
        Laurito      Lupoli

LM           CM           RM
 Poletti    Di Tacchio   Villanova

DM
               Paro

LB       CB      CB       RB
Micolucci Fererro Garcia   Luciani

GK
               Vivan

Bench:    Strakosha (GK), Galuppo (D), Pelagatti (D), Pacciardi (M), Lunardini (M), Marchionni (M), Coda (F)

• 2 weeks later...

2016-17

[b]Position:[/b]    13th

Pol Garcia           (DC) 7.15 in 42 matches. Attained 5.00 tackles a game, scoring 5 goals, 1 assist and 2 Player of the Match awards.
Federico Laurito     (MC) 7.21 in 41 matches. 1.44 dribbles per game, picking up 30 goals, 3 assists and 7 Player of the Match awards.

Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.28 in 41 matches. 5.45 tackles per game, with 9 goals, 12 assists and 4 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Survived relegation in a lower midtable 13th place.

Avoid relegation 
Luca Petrucci signed
Laurito scored in record 14 seconds

2017-18

[b]Position:[/b]    11th

Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.36 in 42 matches. 5.52 tackles per game, 3 goals, 15 assists and 4 Player of the Match awards.
Luigi Bertolini      (MC) 7.24 in 36 matches. 4.87 tackles per game, 1 goal and 1 Player of the Match award.

Federico Laurito     (ST) 7.35 in 35 matches. 1.37 dribbles per game, 23 goals, 11 assists and 6 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Much more stability for solid mid placed finish. Current team started to mould with young players Bertolini, Grilli, Cabalceta, Di Tacchio, Lupoli, Danza, Petrucci and Borges all in the 23 man squad.

Jose Borges was signed
Matteo Paro retired
Gianluca Vivan retired
Vittotio Micolucci retires and joins backroom staff
Laurito scores fastest San Marino goal in 14 seconds

2018-19

[b]Position:[/b]    11th

Federico Laurito     (ST) 7.05 in 42 matches. 1.65 dribbles per game, 19 goals, 11 assists and 4 Player of the Match awards.
Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.32 in 39 matches. 5.19 tackles per game, 69% pass accuracy, 6 goal and 7 assists.

Erick Cabalceta      (DC) 7.35 in 41 matches. 4.61 tackles per game, 1 goal, 2 assists and 6 player of the match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Solid defensive season but struggled for consistency.

Givestin N'Suki was signed
Edoardo Pozzi was signed
Laurito passes 250 appearances for the club.

2019-20

[b]Position:[/b]    8th

[b]Formation:[/b]   2-2-1-3-2

Erick Cabalceta      (DC) 7.31 in 43 matches. 3.72 tackles per game, 2 goals, 1 assist and 4 player of the match awards.
Francesco Di Tacchio (MC) 7.33 in 42 matches. 5.64 tackles per game, 5 goals, 13 assists and 4 Player of the Match awards.

Federico Laurito     (ST) 7.27 in 40 matches. 1.28 dribbles per game, 32 goals, 6 assists and 7 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Highest rank in Serie B.

Marco Bianchi came into the side
Laurito gets top goal scorer of Seire B award
Laurito makes the Serie B team of the year
Beat Albino Leffe 7-1
Laurito Passes 150 League goals

2020-21

[b]Position:[/b]    6th

Luca Petrucci        (MC) 7.41 in 44 matches. 6.33 tackles per game, 11 goals, 11 assists and 6 Player of the Match awards.
Francesco Di Tacchio (DC) 7.42 in 36 matches. 5.38 tackles per game, 5 goal, 15 assists and 4 player of the match awards.

Federico Laurito (ST) 7.26 in 44 matches 1.38 dribbles per game, 67% shooting accuracy, 26 goals, 11 assists and 8 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Made the Serie B playoffs for the first time. Lost to Alto Adige in the finals. scored over 100 league goals for the season.

Di Tacchio made the Serie B team of the year
107 goals in Serie B for a league record
Lupoli retires and joins backroom staff

2021-22

[b]Position:[/b]    2nd  

Luca Petrucci      (MC) 7.25 in 41 matches. 81% passing accuracy, 8 goals, 11 assists and 5 player of the match awards.
Nicola Girolamo    (DL) 7.30 in 32 matches. 5.92 tackles per game, 1.21 dribble per game, 2 goals, 5 assists and 3 Player of the Match awards.

José Borges        (DM) 7.41 in 43 matches. 83% passing accuracy, 6.63 tackles per game, 3 goals, 4 assists and 2 Player of the Match awards.

None

[b]Summary:[/b]     Promoted to Serie A in second place, also making the First Knockout round of the Italian Cup for the first time.

Promoted to Serie A
Made the 1st round of the Italian Cup for the first time
Signed Tomaso Surano
Signed Nicola Girolamo

San Marino Team of Serie B XI

ST           ST
        Laurito      N'Suki

CM        CM        CM
   Petrucci  Di Tacchio  Danza

DM
               Borges

LB       CB      CB       RB
Tedesco Bertolini Cabalceta Bianchi

GK
              Grilli

Bench:    Vivan (GK), Garcia (D), Allegra (D), Luciani (D), Pozzi (M), Signori (M), Leandro (ST)

I'm going to close it at that. As much as I like writing up the updates, they are taking too long. But some fun facts to end the the campaign:

Fun Fact: Frederico Laurito made the Serie C1/A All Time Team of the Year starting XI with only 118 appearances at 78 goals and a rating of 7.38.

Fun Fact 2: Marlon Bovu and Franco Macagno are in the Serie A All Time Team of the Year starting XI with Bovu making 144 appearances for 37 goals at a rating of 7.57 at centre midfield. While Macagno has the appearance record of the lot with 372 and third highest 82 goals for a rating top of 7.98, all while making the team as the right back.

[b]Club Trophies[/b]

Serie A Titles:                                   6
Italian Cup Titles:                               6
Italian Super Cup Titles:                         6
Champions League Titles:                          1
Europa League Titles:                             2
European Super Cup Titles:                        1

[b]Total:                                            22[/b]

[b]Junior Trophies[/b]

Under 20's League Titles:                         2
Under 20's Cup Titles:                            2

[b]Total:                                            4[/b]

[b]Individual Club Trophies[/b]

Serie C1/A Capocannoniere Titles:                 1
Serie C1/A Player of the Year Titles:             2
Serie C1/A Team of the Year Players:              5

[b]Total:                                            8[/b]

Serie B Capocannoniere Titles:                    1
Serie B Goal of the Year Titles:                  1
Serie B Team of the Year Players:                 2

Serie A Capocannoniere Titles:                    2
Serie A Player of the Year Titles:                6
Serie A Young Player of the Year Titles:          5
Serie A Foreign Player of the Year Titles:        4
Serie A Italian Player of the Year Titles:        6
Serie A Fans Player of the Year Titles:           7
Serie A Fair Play Player of the Year Titles:      1
Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year Titles:            6
Serie A Defender of the Year Titles:              11
Serie A Manager of the Year Titles:               3

[b]Total:                                            51[/b]

Champions League Golden Shoe Titles:              1
Champions League Dream Team Players:              6
Champions League Best Player Titles:              2

[b]Total:                                            9[/b]

[b]Individual International Trophies[/b]

European Golden Boy Titles:                       2
European Golden Shoe Titles:                      1
European Player of the Year Titles:               1

African Player of the Year Titles:                3
Broadcaster's African Footballer the Year Titles: 4
African Midfielder of the Year Titles:            3
African All XI Team of the Year Players:          10

[b]Total:                                            20[/b]

Ballon D'or Titles:                               1
World Team of the Year Players:                   11

[b]Total:                                            12[/b]

Fun Fact: Aldo Angelini is the starting keeper in the European Cup Dream Team Overall XI with 18 goals conceded in 12 games at a rating of 7.63, while Alex Benvenuti is on the bench with 5 appearances and 6 goals at a rating of 8.18.

Fun Fact 2: Francesco Mularoni is on the bench of the World Cup Dream Team Overall XI with 5 appearances and 7 goals at a rating of 8.10.

[b]National Trophies[/b]

N/A

[b]Individual National Trophies[/b]

World Cup Golden Boot Titles:                     1
World Cup Young Player of the Tournament Titles:  1
World Cup Team of the Year Players:               1
European Cup Golden Boot Titles                   1
European Cup Team of the Year Players:            8

[b]Total:                                            12[/b]

Management

[b]Club Games[/b]
Wins:                 782
Draws:                280
Losses:               373
Win Percent:          54%

[b]Total:                1435[/b]

Goals For:            2766
Goals Against:        1782

[b]Goal Difference:      +984[/b]

[b]International Games[/b]
Wins:                 108
Draws:                54
Losses:               163
Win Percent:          33%

[b]Total:                325[/b]

Goals For:            396
Goals Against:        661

[b]Goal Difference:      -265[/b]

[b]Career Games[/b]
Wins:                 890
Draws:                334
Losses:               536
Win Percent:          50%

[b]Total:                1760[/b]

Goals For:            3162
Goals Against:        2443

[b]Goal Difference:      +719[/b]

[b]Results[/b]
Cup Wins:             17
League Wins:          6
League Promotions:    2
League Relegations:   0

International Wins:   0

[b]Misc[/b]
International Jobs:   1
Club Jobs:            1
Awards won:           11
Career Earnings:      £21.5m
Days in Job:          10980
Players Bought:       178
Value of Players:     £48.5m
Players Sold:         36  
Value of Players:     £46m
Highest Fee Spent:    £19.5m (Simon Bishop)
Highest Fee Received: £15.5m (Marcelo Olivari)
Total Fees to Agents: £49m
Players Released:     60

Archived