Steam update not progressing

Somehow, I think I may have just fixed it:

Aim_Less, the link you posted in post #13 is different to the standard .dmg on the official Steam site. I downloaded that, extracted it to the Steam folder in Application support (which previously only had a registry.vdf file in it), then moved the actual Steam client out of the extracted folder and into the Steam folder. Suddenly the ClientRegistry, SteamApps etc were all created and I accessed Steam straight away, bypassing any attempt to 'update'. Currently re-downloading FM and the patch is yet to come, so not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed.

And yes I'm using wireless, connected via a BT HomeHub 2.0.

OI, WHAT THE ****ING HELL?!?!?! I AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL THE UPDATE, IT DECIDES TO REMOVE HALF THE **** IN THE GAME FOLDER AND NOW TELLS ME THE "GAME IS UNAVAILABLE, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER"

GET RID OF STEAM, NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS PRIOR TO IT AND I GUARANTEE YOU THESE PROBLEMS WON'T OCCUR WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!

Only thing i haven't done is uninstall, not that i'm interested in doing that but i'm about ot anyway. If this problem persists post reinstall, then my next post won't be nearly as nice.

In the mean time, if someone could please look into this and find a possible solution incase the reinstall doesn't work, that would be most appreciated.

• Administrators
Somehow, I think I may have just fixed it:

Aim_Less, the link you posted in post #13 is different to the standard .dmg on the official Steam site. I downloaded that, extracted it to the Steam folder in Application support (which previously only had a registry.vdf file in it), then moved the actual Steam client out of the extracted folder and into the Steam folder. Suddenly the ClientRegistry, SteamApps etc were all created and I accessed Steam straight away, bypassing any attempt to 'update'. Currently re-downloading FM and the patch is yet to come, so not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed.

And yes I'm using wireless, connected via a BT HomeHub 2.0.

Let us know how you get on.

OI, WHAT THE ****ING HELL?!?!?! I AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL THE UPDATE, IT DECIDES TO REMOVE HALF THE **** IN THE GAME FOLDER AND NOW TELLS ME THE "GAME IS UNAVAILABLE, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER"

GET RID OF STEAM, NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS PRIOR TO IT AND I GUARANTEE YOU THESE PROBLEMS WON'T OCCUR WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!

Only thing i haven't done is uninstall, not that i'm interested in doing that but i'm about ot anyway. If this problem persists post reinstall, then my next post won't be nearly as nice.

In the mean time, if someone could please look into this and find a possible solution incase the reinstall doesn't work, that would be most appreciated.

Please post your own issue here so we can assist you - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/248-Technical-Issues-and-Crashes

• 1 month later...

I'm encountering the same problems. I haven't played FM for a few months due to uni work, I started it up today and all day I've had the same "updating steam, checking for available updates" message, which Robsy1990 has encountered. I've uninstalled and deleted everything from steam, re downloaded it, though i still get the same problem. No progression on the update for steam, when all that initially ws meant to happen was the new patch to be installed. I can't even get onto steam period now, has anyone found a solution to this

• 2 months later...

I am also encountering the same problems. Tried everything that you have suggested but nothing it work. Steams customer support is quite frankly atrocious, and if you are going to keep using Steam as compulsory then I definitely will not be buying your product again. There are many of these thread around and nothing seems to have worked.

I am also encountering the same problems. Tried everything that you have suggested but nothing it work. Steams customer support is quite frankly atrocious, and if you are going to keep using Steam as compulsory then I definitely will not be buying your product again. There are many of these thread around and nothing seems to have worked.[/quote

Open a new thread in the Technical and Crashes sub forum of the main FM 12 Bugs forum and give as many details of the problem as you can, including what you have tried so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again this issue strikes. I can't leave it in online mode because otherwise the client starts to update but hangs again (as described in post #1), but if I try and put it in offline mode the Steam client crashes and won't restart, forcing another install. Put simply, I can play the game, but I have to reinstall Steam every time I want to play it - a process that can take around 40 minutes.

I can't believe this issue hasn't been addressed, nobody from SI has found a solution and Steam Support are just totally disinterested in fixing this.

Yeah sorry mate, Steam has ruined the game well and truly - i get huge problems with Steam. I just leave it permanently in offline mode...

Sorry to distract from the main discussion - I'm new here and dumb - , but does leaving Steam in offline mode (which I've done) effectively shut it off and make me immune to any problems? This thread is my worst gaming nightmare - I'd lose my sh*t if it happened to me. I'll gladly do without patches and updates if it means I can avoid ever having to create a thread like this.

Sorry to distract from the main discussion - I'm new here and dumb - , but does leaving Steam in offline mode (which I've done) effectively shut it off and make me immune to any problems? This thread is my worst gaming nightmare - I'd lose my sh*t if it happened to me. I'll gladly do without patches and updates if it means I can avoid ever having to create a thread like this.

Basically, yes. From what I can gather this problem just occurs randomly and is nigh on impossible to fix, so you're better off just never going online.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing on there did the trick, thanks for suggesting though.

Will continue to bump this thread until someone from SI gives me some help on the issue, I'm sick and tired of having to reinstall Steam and FM12 every single goddamn day I want to play it.

Nothing on there did the trick, thanks for suggesting though.

Will continue to bump this thread until someone from SI gives me some help on the issue, I'm sick and tired of having to reinstall Steam and FM12 every single goddamn day I want to play it.

I would suggest that you open a new thread in the Technical and Crashes sub forum of the main FM 12 Bugs forum with as much detail as you can and the SI staff will see it there.

I would suggest that you open a new thread in the Technical and Crashes sub forum of the main FM 12 Bugs forum with as much detail as you can and the SI staff will see it there.

Thanks, created one here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314469-Steam-Mac-Issue-Steam-won-t-close-properly-update-hangs-in-online-mode?p=8074324#post8074324

Any help appreciated, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having the same problem and nothing worked for me.

Although, I did find one 'workaround' that may or may not work for you. I first deleted everything except for SteamApps in the Application Support folder, then I went offline before going on Steam. A box then pops up telling me to either restart or start in Offline mode. I chose to restart, and after logging in again I go through the process of verifying my computer. After that everything was ok. The only downside was I had to do this everytime I switched off my computer. Beats not having to play your games though. Hopefully it works!

• 3 months later...

I've now got FM13 and yet again, the whole steam 'checking for available updates problem has occured again.' And now I can't even install the game.

I understand SI that this is a steam problem, however the fact you have made it complusory to have steam to play the game has ruined it for many fans of the series. You may say that these are rare and isolated issues but there are tons of that are having this problem which you can see from a quick google search. Ridiculous.

Archived