Manchester United 4-4-2

I'm currently trying it out with my Chelsea team. One would think that the TQ would benefit from playing ahead of the BW because there is more space in front of the BW than the DLP. This is crucial because the TQ sits deeper in order to find space to operate in. On the other hand: If using this setup the space surrounding the stopper and the BW would probably be alittle congested because of their mentality and high pressing. I prefer to have the lower mentality players on one side and higher mentality players on the other side. I don't know if there is any sence in this, but I believe that it makes a tactic more balanced.

One would think that because of the high Closing Down\hard tackling of the BWM, he actually gets further up the field than the DLP who hangs back even with a support duty. I could be wrong though..

You are actually right ShirazS. I tried to "mirror" the central defence and center midfield and started to concede a lot more goals. The setup you've chosen is obviously the best one.

I'm currently in my third season with Chelsea. Sitting top of the league with 6 games played, 6 victories, 20 goals scored and 1 against. Won the league and both domestic cups last season btw. This is a great tactic if you have the right players. I've reunited Torres and Agüero and it works like a charm.

Only "problem" I find is that the wingers do not get too much involved down the touchline, but tend to drift into the center of the pitch and thereby creating less crosses for mye strikers. Any ideas on this issue? It could be my type of wingers though having PPMs like cut inside etc. or the opposition pressing them to their weaker foot and leaving them no choice but to drift centrally.

I found that Valencia who is a traditional Winger also cut inside a lot and scored a fair few goals. My theory is that Wingers on an Attack duty are more like 2nd strikers and get into the box more. I think that if you want your wingers to cross more from deeper positions, you could try switching their duty to Support.

This is the setup:

GK - Goalkeeper, Defend

DR - Full Back, Support

DCR - Central Defender, Stopper

DCL - Central Defender, Cover

DL - Full Back, Support

DMC - Defensive Midfielder, Defend

MCR - Advanced Playmaker, Support

MCL - Advanced Playmaker, Support

AMR - Winger, Attack

AML - Winger, Attack

STC - Poacher, Attack

Team Instructions:

Passing - Default

Creative Freedom - Default

Closing Down - Press More

Tackling - Default

Marking - Default

Crossing - Default

Roaming - Default

Philosophy - Balanced

Starting Strategy - Control

And set the Playmaker to "None"

As stated above though, I have not tested it properly yet so it could definitely be improved :)

This thread has been a good read but I've really enjoyed watching the 4-4-2 formation in the match engine, really special with Man Utd!

The reason why I was drawn to the 4-4-2 tactic was the particular Team Instructions used, they agreed with my interpretation of the most suitable settings for the Man Utd squad and their capabilities and personnel. However, the particular selection of roles was something I had not tried and have been really impressed by.

Through experimenting with the 4-4-2 however, unsurprisingly, it struggles against certain formations and so I set about creating 2 new tactics which are in keeping with the framework set out in the original 4-4-2. These two formations are the 4-5-1 and the 4-2-3-1 Assymetric, both of which are formations Man Utd have used over the past 4 years albiet mostly in Europe. The 4-2-3-1 Assymetric was the formation of choice during Ronaldo's final two memorable years at Old Trafford. Here they are...

4-5-1

Philosophy: Balanced

Starting Strategy: Control

Passing: More Direct

Creative Freedom: Default

Closing Down: Press More

Tackling: Default

Marking: Zonal

Crossing: Default

Roaming: More Roaming

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DCR - Central Defender (Cover)

DCL - Central Defender (Stopper)

DL - Full Back (Support)

DMC - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support)

MCR - Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend)

MCL - Advanced Playmaker (Support)

AMR - Winger (Support)

AML - Inside Forward (Attack)

STC - Advanced Forward (Attack)

Playmaker to "None"

4-2-3-1 Assymetric

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DCR - Central Defender (Defend)

DCL - Central Defender (Defend)

DL - Full Back (Support)

DMC - Defensive Midfielder (Support)

MCR - Deep Lying Playmaker (Support)

ML - Wide Midfielder (Attack)

AMR - Winger (Support)

AMCL - Advanced Playmaker (Support)

Playmaker to "None"

Both these tactics are very similar to the original 4-4-2 in terms of player roles and the team settings are identical. The Trequartista is replaced by the Advanced Playmaker, a similar role according to the FM description and the Ball Winner + Deep Lying Playmaker combination is maintained throughout.

This '3-tactic set' now affords great flexibilty whilst only requiring a relatively small squad - but the greatest advantage is that three tactics can be trained very quickly in the match preparation screen due to the common Team Settings!

I have tested the 4-5-1 more than the 4-2-3-1 Assymetric and it plays brilliantly. Really! The 4-5-1 is great for opponents playing with an AMC behind a single striker which seemed to be the biggest problem for the 4-4-2, at least for me.

Give these a go and post your feedback here.

The 4-4-2 is a great tactic. I'm using something very similar with my FC United team this season in League 1. I think the only difference is my left striker, who is an advanced forward rather than a poacher. I've not had a chance to test it in the league, but in the pre-season friendlies it's worked well.

This thread has been a good read but I've really enjoyed watching the 4-4-2 formation in the match engine, really special with Man Utd!

The reason why I was drawn to the 4-4-2 tactic was the particular Team Instructions used, they agreed with my interpretation of the most suitable settings for the Man Utd squad and their capabilities and personnel. However, the particular selection of roles was something I had not tried and have been really impressed by.

Through experimenting with the 4-4-2 however, unsurprisingly, it struggles against certain formations and so I set about creating 2 new tactics which are in keeping with the framework set out in the original 4-4-2. These two formations are the 4-5-1 and the 4-2-3-1 Assymetric, both of which are formations Man Utd have used over the past 4 years albiet mostly in Europe. The 4-2-3-1 Assymetric was the formation of choice during Ronaldo's final two memorable years at Old Trafford. Here they are...

4-5-1

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DCR - Central Defender (Cover)

DCL - Central Defender (Stopper)

DL - Full Back (Support)

AMR - Winger (Support)

Playmaker to "None"

4-2-3-1 Assymetric

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DL - Full Back (Support)

DMC - Defensive Midfielder (Support)

ML - Wide Midfielder (Attack)

AMR - Winger (Support)

AMCL - Advanced Playmaker (Support)

Playmaker to "None"

Both these tactics are very similar to the original 4-4-2 in terms of player roles and the team settings are identical. The Trequartista is replaced by the Advanced Playmaker, a similar role according to the FM description and the Ball Winner + Deep Lying Playmaker combination is maintained throughout.

This '3-tactic set' now affords great flexibilty whilst only requiring a relatively small squad - but the greatest advantage is that three tactics can be trained very quickly in the match preparation screen due to the common Team Settings!

I have tested the 4-5-1 more than the 4-2-3-1 Assymetric and it plays brilliantly. Really! The 4-5-1 is great for opponents playing with an AMC behind a single striker which seemed to be the biggest problem for the 4-4-2, at least for me.

Give these a go and post your feedback here.

Looks really good ProZone :)

I am glad to see the thread developing the way it has. I myself, have started a new United save on the new patch and have got a cracking 4-2-3-1 going at the moment. I have only played a few games with it but it looks to be even better than the 4-4-2 although the settings are similar. I will continue my season and post the tactic up if it does well :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've revised my two alternative formations after some more testing, as follows:

4-5-1

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DL - Wing Back (Support)

AMR - Winger (Support)

STC - Complete Forward (Attack)

Playmaker to "None"

Note: Excellent against 4-4-1-1 & 4-2-3-1 formations

4-2-3-1

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DL - Wing Back (Support)

MCL - Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend)

AMR - Winger (Support)

AMC - Advanced Playmaker (Support)

Playmaker to "None"

Note: Excellent against 4-5-1 & 4-1-4-1 formations

• 3 weeks later...
does this just work for top teams?? im curently promoted to PL with leeds. so i wonder if this can work?

It should work if your squad is good enough. You can try DLF/S instead of Trequartista if haven't got one...

• 1 month later...
I've revised my two alternative formations after some more testing, as follows:

4-5-1

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DL - Wing Back (Support)

AMR - Winger (Support)

STC - Complete Forward (Attack)

Playmaker to "None"

Note: Excellent against 4-4-1-1 & 4-2-3-1 formations

4-2-3-1

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Full Back (Support)

DL - Wing Back (Support)

MCL - Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend)

AMR - Winger (Support)

AMC - Advanced Playmaker (Support)

Playmaker to "None"

Note: Excellent against 4-5-1 & 4-1-4-1 formations

Really like these tactics but any suggestions on how I can tighten up the defense as it's a bit leaky I'm finding

I always find the best way to shore up my defense is by changing the Centreback roles depending on who I am facing. For example if I am against one big target man a stopper and defend does the trick. Or Cover and Defend versus a pacey poacher. Defend Defend is always the safest bet vs a 2 man strikeforce or bring in an anchorman and get the nike defence going for really touch 2 man striker forces (Cover, stopper) Helps if you use the right type of CB for each role to ofc!

Archived