Having under 20s players train with the first team

Is it possible to have players from your under 20s team train with the first team while they still play matches for the under 20s team? I'm playing in Italy and the reserve team doesn't play any matches so i'd like to keep some of my best youngsters in the under 20s squad with the occasionly call up to the first team. But to have 18 and 19 year olds on youth training feels kind of wrong. I read something in the manual about "inviting youth players to train with the first team", but cant figure it out.

Most of all i'd like an "available to under 20s" option for first team players, can't see any good reason why there isn't really...

No, that doesn't appear to be the case. Players on pro contracts in the u20s squad only have the option of youth training, and players on youth contracts in the senior squad only have the option of full training it seems.

Edit: but players at the age of 21 or older (u20s can name 2 overage players in the squad) stays on full training even when in the u20s squad

No, that doesn't appear to be the case. Players on pro contracts in the u20s squad only have the option of youth training, and players on youth contracts in the senior squad only have the option of full training it seems.

Edit: but players at the age of 21 or older (u20s can name 2 overage players in the squad) stays on full training even when in the u20s squad

This is definitely interesting. Since full time schedules allow much more training than youth, it certainly seems to make sense to promote players to main team just to train, and drop them to u19/21 whatever only for match days, although constantly switching their squad could make them unhappy. Most likely this is a bug, and not intended to work like this.

Now just need to get some data from training levels with youth players in main squad. If their training levels improve, this clearly is the way to go.

It's working as intended.

This was changed for FM12. It was deemed more realistic for a player to train with his squad, rather than with players of similar contract type. Therefore a Full-Time player who is in the U19's will train with the U19's, but a Full-Time player who is in the senior squad will train with the first team.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279116-Training-youth-training?

Ah, ok. This kind of make sense, but also kind of doesn´t.

Then we definitely should have an "make available for u20s option", as having 19-20 year olds on youth training doesn´t always make sense. Sometimes loaning them out isn´t an option du to the HGs requirements. At least we should have an option to have players from the u20s train with the first team on a regular basis while still playing for the u20s, if not all the time at least a couple of times a week or a period of time. The way to do that now involves a lot of micromanaging which in time gets really old.

Alternatively it would be nice to have the reserve squad actually schedule some friendlies during the season, something mention in one of the blogs, but don´t seem to be happening very much.

Out of curiousity; How does italian clubs without reserve squads manage this IRL? They just loan out everyone to good or old for the u20s and have senior players play matches for the u20s to keep them matchfit? Surely there must be some kind of reserve team system?

I find this interesting - I've got a number of really promising kids, and at the moment I'm playing them in the U18s as they are then available to play reserve football as well. Is the opposite true? I don't have any players in my Reserve squad, but if I move my youths to there they will get the extra training... but will they also then still be available for the U18s still?

If so, it's a win-win. They need matches... but extra training would be nice too!

I only know the English set-up. Most of my U18s are also set to be in the reserve squad so they get double the games. As soon as they are off a youth contract and sign fulltime they are on full-time training, although I have separate schedules for full-time youngsters and older players. So, you just have to make their squad status, U18 and available for reserves; that way they are in both squads.

I don't have any players in my Reserve squad, but if I move my youths to there they will get the extra training... but will they also then still be available for the U18s still?

No, they wont, because we dont have the "make available for u18 squad" option. So you have to keep them in youth squad to have them play u18 matches, BUT keep them in reserves/first team to give them full-time training. As far as I've noticed.

Yeah, but scheduling reserve team friendlies for the entire season is, well, quite boring. Maybe if this feature actually worked:

"In FM12, should the country you are playing in have reserve teams, and should you decide not to enter them into the reserve competitions, and should you have your assistant manager set in the team preferences to arrange friendlies, throughout the season you’ll find reserve team friendlies being added to the calendar." http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275309-FM12-blogs-miscellaneous-%28pt-2-of-3%29

I've had 4 reserve team friendlies schedule combined over 2 seasons, and all 4 were during pre-season

Another question here though is wether reserve team friendlies gives youth players the same match training as reserve team league games does. But an "available for u20s\19\18" option would definitely be best, and shouldn't be that hard to implement

Yeah, but scheduling reserve team friendlies for the entire season is, well, quite boring. Maybe if this feature actually worked:

"In FM12, should the country you are playing in have reserve teams, and should you decide not to enter them into the reserve competitions, and should you have your assistant manager set in the team preferences to arrange friendlies, throughout the season you’ll find reserve team friendlies being added to the calendar." http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275309-FM12-blogs-miscellaneous-(pt-2-of-3)

I've had 4 reserve team friendlies schedule combined over 2 seasons, and all 4 were during pre-season

Another question here though is wether reserve team friendlies gives youth players the same match training as reserve team league games does. But an "available for u20s\19\18" option would definitely be best, and shouldn't be that hard to implement

Agree with all that - tedious arranging friendlies in BSN. However, technically SI haven't broken their word - ENGLAND has reserve team leagues, but not in my division.

Yes, but it's not that there aren't reserve leagues, cause there are where there should be, but the reserve teams without a league should be scheduling friendlies automatically as long as you tick the option to have the ass man do it. Something they are not doing, at least on my game. I've seen a couple the reserve teams of other teams in my league play an ocasionally 1 or 2 friendlies throughout the season, but that doesn't really change anything.

Basically you have the option of either giving your youngsters a) match training with the u20s, but youth training only, or b) full training, but no/limited match training. Unless you micromanage that is.

Yes, but it's not that there aren't reserve leagues, cause there are where there should be, but the reserve teams without a league should be scheduling friendlies automatically as long as you tick the option to have the ass man do it. Something they are not doing, at least on my game. I've seen a couple the reserve teams of other teams in my league play an ocasionally 1 or 2 friendlies throughout the season, but that doesn't really change anything.

Basically you have the option of either giving your youngsters a) match training with the u20s, but youth training only, or b) full training, but no/limited match training. Unless you micromanage that is.

I had 23 sheduled in my game, maybe your assistant isn't very good? What are his stats like?

I had 23 sheduled in my game, maybe your assistant isn't very good? What are his stats like?

My assistant is a former Lyon and Lille assistant manager (don't know how it is with naming on these forums), with pretty decent stats so if he's not able to schedule friendlies, there's not many who are.

It could be that I don't have enough players in my reserve team so he won't schedule friendlies, but theres no use in having players in the reserve team if they don't play matches, so if that's the case I have a bit a dilemma on my hands.

Everything seems to be to long to travel. But it appears if I schedule them one at a time I get a suggestion of a team that's willing, so guess I'll try that for a while.

Think I just need to realize that it's more difficult to develope HG players this year, at least in Italy, and pationately wait for an "available for u20s" option in the future:p

Archived