Game won't start on Mac

If this is gonna be what its like next year then i may have to seriously consider not playing it, perhaps go back to one of the older games. This is very frustrating having a disc and not being able to play the game, iv not experienced this before.

After 2.5 hours, I've finally managed to resume playing. I had to completely uninstall everything - all of the Football Manager files, and all of Steam. Then reinstall both. Quite a debacle.

Got to say: this won't be an easy fix for those with minimal computer (in this case, Mac) knowledge. I've never endured such an arduous task in all my years of using software.

After 2.5 hours, I've finally managed to resume playing. I had to completely uninstall everything - all of the Football Manager files, and all of Steam. Then reinstall both. Quite a debacle.

Got to say: this won't be an easy fix for those with minimal computer (in this case, Mac) knowledge. I've never endured such an arduous task in all my years of using software.

Iv uninstalled but can't install again cause the servers are busy, shambles.

Iv uninstalled but can't install again cause the servers are busy, shambles.

Thankfully, I brought it on DVD, so it reinstalled from that. The update took 20mins to download. It is farcical - fingers crossed we don't have to go through this with every update.

Thankfully, I brought it on DVD, so it reinstalled from that. The update took 20mins to download. It is farcical - fingers crossed we don't have to go through this with every update.

Oh my god, i forgot i have the disk :lol:

Edit: False hope, still won't let me install :(

I'm sorry but there is no way I can spend that length of time unistalling and reinstalling software since I had no part in breaking in the first place.

I also don't always have internet available(my job means I do an awful lot of travelling) and when I do it tends to be rather slow, right now for example I'm below 1.5Mbps, and with download limits so dont really want to spend an age downloading the game again.

Can someone from SI confirm that this is the recommended fix - uninstall all FM files and Steam and then reinstall everything. I don't want to have to go down that route if I don't have to.

It's probably not recommended but it was the only thing that worked for me.

I hope they fix it soon.

Those of you who are getting the 'Cannot quit Steam as FM2012 is Running' message, you can force Steam to quit by right clicking the Steam icon in your dock and holding 'alt' before pressing 'Force Quit'

You should then be able to have another go at verifying cache files/uninstalling and re-installing when you start Steam the next time.

I am sorry... but are you saying that a solution for a problem we did not create, caused by a system we never wanted (i.e. Steam) is to uninstall and re-install?

So, how can we expect not having to uninstall and re-install every week?

I uninstalled...and the servers are busy :(

wounded...

Same problem here saying servers were busy although fm12 said the download was starting when in the library. Left it for 2 hours and still no update. Uninstalled the game and now I can't install the game aS I get the same steam is busy message??

Steam really is a joke... although the service from people like Miles and his team has been pretty good, always helpful and never bad tempered.

Just wish it was on the Mac App Store really... wouldn't get these problems, and the updates would come easily and quickly.

• SI Staff

For the new people who posted overnight and this morning, I would suggest that you do try to uninstall and re-install your game by right-clicking it in the Steam library and selecting 'Delete Local Content' and check there is no trace of FM in the following location before re-installing:

User > Library > Application Support > Steam > SteamApps > Common

I've finally got FM downloading again after uninstalling...

I completely uninstalled Steam from my MBA, then re-downloaded from their site...looks like there is an update for Steam AND an update from FM...my Steam updated and at the first time of asking and it has now allowed me to re-download FM.

I'll let you know if it plays.

I'm not posting this to be smug, but I am playing FM 12 on a Macbook Pro and have not had any issue with trying to run/play the game since the 12.0.3 update.

I have had issues in the past where FM 11 would not load after pressing Play in Steam but after loading Activity Monitor and stopping the FM process or Steam process and then restarting Steam, it always worked.

I would say this is not directly an SI or Steam issue, otherwise surely everyone on a Mac would be suffering. There has got to be something that the user is doing either during the update or when quitting Steam that is causing the issue.

I'm not posting this to be smug, but I am playing FM 12 on a Macbook Pro and have not had any issue with trying to run/play the game since the 12.0.3 update.

I have had issues in the past where FM 11 would not load after pressing Play in Steam but after loading Activity Monitor and stopping the FM process or Steam process and then restarting Steam, it always worked.

I would say this is not directly an SI or Steam issue, otherwise surely everyone on a Mac would be suffering. There has got to be something that the user is doing either during the update or when quitting Steam that is causing the issue.

it has to do with the model of the mac... it works a treat on my newer mac ( which is my wifes) but not my old one which is where i want to play it... have done 2 seasons on the wifes but nothing on mine.. and if you uninstall you do not lose your saved game.. thank god

For the new people who posted overnight and this morning, I would suggest that you do try to uninstall and re-install your game by right-clicking it in the Steam library and selecting 'Delete Local Content' and check there is no trace of FM in the following location before re-installing:

User > Library > Application Support > Steam > SteamApps > Common

Ant, done everything you've recommended on here and still no luck mate. As I said before i right clicked and uninstalled FM12 and now wont even reinstall- getting same messge

• Administrators

If you currently have a problem with FM or Steam please post YOUR OWN thread here and we'll get back to you and help - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/248-Technical-Issues-and-Crashes

Please be descriptive with what issue you're dealing with and what you've done so far to rectify it. Thanks.

Archived