how to know what role to put your players AS?

It all depends on what attributes each players have. If you go to your tactics screen, player instructions tab it will give you each position(when selected) and what roles you can select for that position. The ideal attributes for the roles are highlighted in blue. It's a long process to get used to everything but once you do you'll be happy that you have a good enough understanding of what roles will benefit your side and formation.

I would advise not too Max. For example and this is just for explanations sake as I havn't looked at the team in depth. you say your wolves, i'd assume you have Miljas, lets say the assistant manager says his best position is Trequartista, Att. Do you have to play him there? It's all about individual players over the formation that a, you want to play, and b, most suits your team. So with wolves you have Jarvis and Hunt, two very good wingers, you have Doyle and Fletcher two good forwards, therefore it's probably best for the team to play 442, to begin with. However you still want to fit Miljas in because of his qualities, however because you will only be playing two in the middle you may have to play him in a role where he has to do some defensive work as well e.g. advanced playmaker.

So I would look at the formation and style you want your team to have, by looking at the personel available and then fit them in. Its unlikely all of your players will be able to play in their most suited position, but players will be able to do a job for the team.

Kovacic (in my team, in 2020) is best as an amazing Adv.PM or Treq in the AMC slot but will, most regularly, get a game as a creative MC. This is because I value a team structure over an individual structure (slightly: i.e. Kovacic does a job in my team, he may not for someone else). It's up to you whether you shoe-horn your team philosophy in to your players or your players in to your team philosophy. Of course, a marriage of the two aims in preferable but you'll always find yourself predominantly in one camp or the other.

Is the ass man ever wrong about the best position/role? I notice in the tactics screen when you click on player instructions, the attributes of a player will be highlighted in blue which are most important for that role. Is the recommendation related to that?

Is the ass man ever wrong about the best position/role? I notice in the tactics screen when you click on player instructions, the attributes of a player will be highlighted in blue which are most important for that role. Is the recommendation related to that?

The Ass Man's "Tactical Knowledge" plays a part in his recommendations as far I understand it. As for the highlights, those are the attributes recommended for said role.

Kovacic (in my team, in 2020) is best as an amazing Adv.PM or Treq in the AMC slot but will, most regularly, get a game as a creative MC. This is because I value a team structure over an individual structure (slightly: i.e. Kovacic does a job in my team, he may not for someone else). It's up to you whether you shoe-horn your team philosophy in to your players or your players in to your team philosophy. Of course, a marriage of the two aims in preferable but you'll always find yourself predominantly in one camp or the other.

Indeed it's the old question do I build a team around a tactic or do I build a tactic around a team. I prefer to build a team around a tactical concept which usually is only an option if you have a nice transfer budget and manage a better team. So for a lower league team it can be very beneficial to look at your best players and what roles suite them and then build the tactic accordingly to get the best out of those players.

Archived