My 2012 Challenge

We’ve all played Football Manager for years and the majority of us played Championship manager for even longer before that. So ingrained into our lives is the game that at any social event the single word of “champo” can launch us into a discussion with people we’ve only just met that can last so long that our wives and girlfriend’s will go in a huff and not talk to us for days afterwards.

We’ll gladly devote hours every night to sitting in front of computer screens staring at figures despite having moaned at work all day about doing exactly the same thing.

Yet if anyone suggested we were geeks we take great offence. Geeks are the people who play world of warcraft for hours on end not champo. To the unenlightened the difference is non-existent but we no so so much better.

Some of the most important friendships in my life have been formed or strengthened by this one game and yet I find myself with a problem.

Over the years I’ve played in every major and selected minor European leagues. I’ve managed in both the USA and South America. I even took a spell in the far east to add some spice to the game. I’ve taken teams from the fourth tier of English football to the heights of European glory and managed countless international teams to success. I even once in a misplaced attempt to stop a fellow manager’s bragging claimed to have taken Liverpool to the title on the FM 2009 demo despite the demo only lasting six months.

In all I’ve pretty much played the game dry. And in recent years I’ve slipped into specialty leagues, these have included playing Manchester Utd and Barcelona but only with native English and Spanish players. And filling Tottenham with a full team of re-gens that could still challenge for the title.

So this year I have decided to set myself a challenge from the start. I aim to win continental silverware in each of the following federations;

AFC.

CAF

CONMEBOL

CONCACAF

&

UEFA

To achieve my objective I have decided after several research leagues in FM 2011 to go with the following countries within those federations;

Australia

South Africa

Brazil

USA

&

England

These leagues are not all the power houses of their respective regions but I believe that I will be able to achieve my goals with teams from these leagues in due time.

To make the challenge more realistic I have also decided to not start at a Chelsea FC or Santos but to begin in the A-League with Sydney FC. I understand that they are one of the better teams in the league but having played the A-league I feel that this advantage is deserved given the challenge ahead.

And so the challenge is that.

If I can achieve continental success in Australia I will then try to gain a management position in South Africa. But obviously this may not be straight forward and I may indeed spend several seasons in the A-League after achieving my goal before I am able to move. Likewise when I am ready to move on to the Premier League I believe I would need to be incredibly lucky to land a job at Arsenal or Manchester straight away so a lower table team may be needed to get my foot into the English door. Perhaps even my own beloved Middlesbrough could be a port of call on my journey.

But that is the challenge I’ve set myself and here we go.

The challenge is pretty good, and I wish you well with it, but I take offence to the suggestion that we're all offended by being called geeks. I am most definitely a geek, and I highly doubt that you wont find a whole bunch of other people on here who are also happy enough to be described as geeks.

Good luck, I plan to do the same but start unemployed and work my way up. From what I can gather you can add and remove leagues in FM12 so when in Brazil you could also load other South American league to help give more depth and remove the others to keep running speed up and re-add them when required.

I have been playing the same Challenge set from another forum for the past few months, I got as far as winning the CAF, AFC and the CONMEBOL, then i took charge as Ajax and had a good team but its less than a week till FM12 comes out so ive left it there and started familiarising myself with the new features.

good challenge... i set myself a similar but easier challenge.. just winning the league in each of the top european leagues ie. england, italy, spain, germany, france.. didnt quite manage it .. but intend to do the same in fm12...

but i might take up this one instead.. much more interesting

Cheers everyone. I know we're geeks in the traditional sense and i've no shame in that at all, but my step mothers two sons play WoW and if she ever comes around to mine and i'm on champo she always compares us. And that just really winds me up for some reason.

Starting unempolyed and working your way up in the AFC does make a much nicer twist to the start of the challenge and i'm now very tempted to add that to my brief but its already hard enough for me to go and be buying FM2012 on its release date (holiday already booked at work) and start my first game in the A-League. For me release day is all about playing as a big club just so you can ease your way into the new features of the game whilst not really struggling for players and being able to buy the best. It normally only lasts for the first season and then i'm clued up on the game and ready for the real world nitty gritty of playing in the lower leagues.

I was going to have a wingman on this challenge but the thought of starting the challenge from the get go has proved to much for him. so i shall post my progress reports taht i send to him on here as well. Hopefully people will enjoy them as our monday champo emails have led to new converts in the past such has been the passion in them.

Haha Sydney one of the best teams :p They were beyond useless last season. They have signed well and picked up Brett Emerton from Blackburn but we stomped them last week and they looked soft.

If you get interested in the A-League, watch last season's grand final. It was the best sporting moment of my life.

Enough of my rant, good luck with the challenge :)

Brisbane Roar!!!!

Right its been decided.

I'm starting the challenge unemployed. but this only comes into play if you can add/remove playable leagues along the road. Now comes the part i'm going to ask all of you to help with....my experience. To make the challenge as epic as i can i'd ideally start as an ex sunday league footballer but this is a new edition we're talking about here people and there's no way i'm spending all day friday sat staring at my screen as my English, Sunday league playing, unemployed manger gets ignored by the finest that the AFC has to offer.

So what do you all reckon the optimal starting point would be

I think you may have a problem starting in a top league whilst being a Sunday league footballer so you may need to start somewhere else first - if I remember right South Africa is usually an easy place to start from the bottom at as their first division seems to hire English nobodies :)

Another option would be to build up in England and rule their and then move abroad.

Although the list of countries may be ruined if SI have added new leagues ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quick update as i'm not in a happy place to give a full write up this morning. Decided against starting unempolyed and went to Sydney as an ex top flight footballer.

Won the league first season, but was then knocked out the cup in the second semi phase and i deserved it i played terribly.

But i managed to make it all the way to the champions league final. so i was all excited for the show piece game on the 17th of november when Australia came in on the 14th and called up my starting RB Cole, my marquee midfield general Emerton and my current top scorer Bridge. due to wage restrictions my squads already tiny and if i hadn't raided the youth team i'd of had a keeper on the bench and that would of been it.

Gve a more than good showing against Seoul out possessing them and having more shots both on target and in total but in the end the lack of depth cost me and i ran out on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline.

second season in the league p7 w6 d0 l1 f21 a8

Second season completed, came second in the league just two points behind Gold Coast but i did manage the cup this year (no steam achievement though!) with a 5-0 thrashing of Adelaide in the final. Progressed past the first knock out stages of the cl but then orlando pirates came in for me!

And i've jumped ship. I know its not in the spirit of the challenge but Sydney was draining the life from me. Mark Bridge (please look him up) was my top scorer with 10 in 17 till he ruptured his hammy and was out for 5 months, but he still managed player of the season for the a - league yet despite all that and me having 24k+ a week spare in my wages budget it wouldn't let me offer him more than £600. And he was already on £1300 so that was madness. i could of also signed a brazillian attacking midfielder called jaja (26yrs old at the time of asking) and on stats alone he'd of ripped up the league. he only wanted £1000 and if you look at him you'll see he's worth triple that easily but this time the board would only sanction wages of £475.

Add to this that, that domestically i'd now won all i could i decided i'd leave Sydney. I'm closing off the Australian league now and opening Brazil up but i'm keeping Korea open as i do still want to win every continental cup. I also applied to be the korean u23 coach as i thought if i do that and learn Korean it can only help when i apply for a job there but its been six months now and i've heard nothing back and they still don't have a manager so thats not looking good.

Archived