FM Glasgow Celtic FC 2012 - Where the lord of the wings once flew in Paradise

McGougan33

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of Season 4 update.

Haven't bothered with a proper end of season update the last 2 seasons because the 2nd season was much the same as the first (and I finished it in the early hours of the morning after an all-nighter, so was too tired to mess about with screen shots etc).:)

This season however was a belter, kicking off with a few nice pre-season friendly wins the highlights of which for me were a 3-1 away win over Middlesborough, a 5-1 hammering of Cagliari at home and a very respectable 1-1 draw at home to Sevilla.

Our pre-season preparations were rudely interrupted by an annoyingly early onset of competitive football as having plummeted the last 2 seasons in terms of the European coefficients and in the overall European leagues standings, the SPL lost a Champions league place for this season. So we found ourselves in the qualifying rounds of the Europa league having finished a very disappointing 2nd in the league last year.

Our 3rd round qualifying opponents were Swiss club Vaduz who I was confident of getting through against when the draw was made. They it seemed had other ideas though and sprung the first of a few shock results on us in the first leg at home. Hernan Perez scored a brace in that game which finished 2-2 and gave us a very tricky away leg to negotiate. Given our in-game and irl away difficulties I must admit I feared the worst.

I was very pleasantly surprised when the 2nd leg was over and done with as we managed to come away with a resounding 4-0 win to progress 6-2 on aggregate, the damage being done by Melvut Erdinc(2). New club captain Izzaguire and of course my star signing Sanogo had to be the one to put the icing on the cake with the last goal of the game.

The SPL season kicked off with us playing away to ICT who are proving to be a bit of a bogey team for us in this save but we managed to get the 3 points in the bag even though it was a tense scrappy affair ending 2-1 in our favour. The goals coming from Sanogo and 35 year old Emmerson Boyce, signed this season to bring in some much needed experience at the back following the departure of Majstorovic on a free last season to Portsmouth.

Next up was the 4th qualifying round of the Europa, which pitted us against a team I'd never even heard of until we were drawn against them, Zorya of Ukraine. The lads didn't seem to relish the long journey for the first leg away and we struggled to a 1-1 draw, Mulgrew sparing us the task of having to overturn a defeat in the 2nd leg.

After a disappointing 1-1 draw at home in the league to Hearts with that man Sanogo coming to our rescue for the umpteenth time and gaining us a point when it looked like an early defeat was on the cards, it was time for the home tie against Zorya. With us having bagged an away goal I was more confident of getting the required result in this round than I was in the last and despite defensive frailties which would be a bit of a regular feature for us this season we managed to secure a 2-1 win to progress 3-2 on aggreagate. The goals in that one again coming from Boyce and Sanogo. Boyce may only be 5 foot 11 but with 15 heading and 14 for anticipation, stamina and strength he's proving to be quite a dangerous weapon at set pieces.

We got drawn against Standard, Legia and German Bundesliga team HSV who were our biggest threat and I set myself a target of qualifying 2nd in the group to them at worst.

Before the group stage games got underway we had a league cup 3rd round match against Partick Thistle to get out the way and it turned out to be a bit of a 'cup classic' finishing 6-4 in our favour. Sanogo bagged 4 goals in that game to spark an absolutely stunning run of form which would see him break his previous record of 40 league goals in a season by managing to find the net 44 times in the league over the course of the year and it would have been more barring an injury at the tail end of the season that would keep him out for several weeks. He finished this season with an incredible return of 68 goals in all competitions from only 54 games (the best return from any striker I've ever managed on any version of FM to date). He also went on to receive a record 25 man of the match awards.

YayaSanogoOverview_Profile-3.png

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/YayaSanogoOverview_Profile-3.png

CelticHistory_Records-2.png

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/CelticHistory_Records-2.png

Our Europa league group stage campaign got off to a great start as we defeated HSV 2-0 at home with Sanogo and Perez getting our goals and a very sitisfying clean sheet which was to be an all to rare occurrence this season.

We managed to go all the way to October unbeaten in all competitions from the start of this season but it was typically an way game in Europe which was to put an end to the run. Legia beating us 2-1 with our only consolation coming from Wanyama.

The 'hangover from that result also put paid to our chances in the league cup with St Johnstone dumping us out in the quarter final 2-1. I wasn't in the least bit bothered by this though as the SPL title and a respectable run in Europe to try and repair our coefficient were my main objectives this season.

We won all our remaining games in group L of the Europa and ended up qualifying top of the group which I was pleasantly surprised with.

In the Scottish cup we only managed to get to the semi final when Sanogo got his injury which resulted in a slump in form. We had the league all but wrapped up by that stage though and losing out to Aberdeen 2-1 in the cup and 2-0 at home in the league in back to back games were the only significant consequence of this.

We had some brilliant results in our run in Europe including , 3-0 and 4-2 wins over Panathanaikos in the first knockout round and wins by the same scorelines over Palermo put us in the quarter final with two 7-2 aggregate victories. I must admit I started to harbour thoughts of winning my first efer European trophy with the Hoops after the Palermo games but sadly it wasn't to be.

We got drawn against Benfica in the Quarter final and having had a look at their squad I just knew that their lightning fast wingers were going to cause us all sorts of problems.

The first leg actually went better than we could ever have hoped for with us managing to secure a brilliant 4-1 win and I really started to believe winning the whole thing was on.

What was to follow was the most gut wrenching 90 minutes I've experienced in FM since losing with Celtic 1-0 to Madrid in a CL final several versions ago. To cut a long story short we just never turned up in the away second leg game and lost 3-0 in an absolute shambles of a performance, we went out on the away goals rule and I was absolutely furious with my players.

We went on to win the SPL by 10 points over Rangers in second place even managing to beat them twice at Ibrox but I must admit I still can't shake the feeling of bitter disappointment at having come so close to European success and going out in the manner in which we did is going to rankle with me for quite some time I think.

Well that's it, another season in the bag and with the SPL title this year that makes 4 trophies in 4 years and if I can strengthen at the back I feel as if we're really close to becoming a real dominant force in European football again.

P.S Almost forgot to mention we had a board takeover this season so Bankier is gone. The bad news is our new chairmans is now Lawwell so not too optimistic about getting a tranfer warchest any time soon and our defence is in serious need of investment.

Has anyone managed to tempt Danny Wilson back to Glasgow on a permanent basis?

Had him on loan for the best part of 2 seasons and Liverpool accept £3m for him but he doesn't wanna know.

i doubt he will ever be interested in joining Celtic in the game permanently because of his ties to Rangers

I got destroyed 3-0 away by stuttgart :(

Got the return leg on the back of 2 games, making 3 games in 6 days!

Here's a ****ing joke, I had 33 mil at the start of the season, 3rd of march I have 11.28 mil, and there trying to say the spl finances are fine??

Here's a ****ing joke, I had 33 mil at the start of the season, 3rd of march I have 11.28 mil, and there trying to say the spl finances are fine??

my finances aren't suffering to bad McG, 35M coming into december 1st season

i do have a question though, about this Baba that is apparently joining my squad in January, what wages does he get as i need to know if i should get rid of Stokes to cover if he happens to get mega bucks

Baba is on 13.75k a week.

my finances aren't suffering to bad McG, 35M coming into december 1st season

I've yet to receive a transfer budget of over 1million, I don't think since the first season I've even had as much as 500k at any one time. But I think it's partly down to the way expenditure has been restructured this year as well as a problem with the SPL finances. Eg bonuses last season cost me 5.3 million, staff wages 3.8 million and scouting 500k.

I read the thread you created Mcgougan and I certainly do agree that the match day expenses part of finances for a league like the SPL look pretty ludicrous, I somehow managed to accumulate match day expenses in excess of 10 million last season which is just mental and tax was even worse at over 11 million.

My finances are an utter shambles mostly because of the above expenditure but I guess it's partly my own fault since I keep bringing in free transfers by lying to them about their squad status during negotiations then lowering it once they've signed, so my player wages last season amounted to over 20 million, 2.9 million was spent in transfer fees and agents cost me 1.5 million.

Just about to start season 5 and we're currently at + 3 million but that's probably only due to the recent takeover and getting to the Europa quarter final last year, if we failed to qualify for Europe for a couple of seasons we'd be in real big trouble.

ahh *****, then Stokes will have to go

Make sure you give Baba plenty of games if you want to keep him long term, he was a backup striker for me for 4 yrs and because he never got called up and didn't play regularly for me I'm about to lose him on a free as I can't get a wp for him to sign a new contract.

Make sure you give Baba plenty of games if you want to keep him long term, he was a backup striker for me for 4 yrs and because he never got called up and didn't play regularly for me I'm about to lose him on a free as I can't get a wp for him to sign a new contract.

i will probably be using Baba in rotation with Russell so its all cool :cool:

Completely agree. Going into my 4th season and every year my squad is more or less cannibalised by teams picking my best players up. I can't compete in Europe due to having a small squad and I have to put a self imposed ban on wages above 25k. It's either renew contracts and cut my transfer budget in half or sell my Captain every season and hope the youth I have picked up over the last 3 years are ready. I suppose it's kinda realistic in that sense but at the same time there is no way my club reputation can grow if I'm put out Europe in the group/1st Knockout phase every year

Another thing is the WP bug, I've had Romario for 3 years now and he is more than ready for my first team but every 6 months I have to renew his contract to keep him happy. But I still have to wait another 2 years before he can play for me. He's not played a game for me and is already on 7.5k a week.

I may download FMRTE and change his nationality to Belgian in January, but I dunno if that would be considered cheating. What do you guys think. I'll leave the decision up to you lot

I may download FMRTE and change his nationality to Belgian in January, but I dunno if that would be considered cheating. What do you guys think. I'll leave the decision up to you lot

I already have fmrte downloaded and didn't even think of this, I for one will definitely be doing it as it's in no way cheating it's rectifying a very annoying bug. Funny thing is wp loans to Oostende were working fine for me but now in my 5th season this bug's kicked in out the blue, just when I've acquired around 6 non eu players as well.:mad:

I preferred my way personally;

wrappinguple.png

Lewis Toshney has been superb at right back by the way, despite his poor stats.

Great result there. I wish my games against them were such big wins but I usually lose to a lucky late goal or just manage to beat them by the odd goal in 7 like the game I posted the screeny of.:(

Into January and just lost Yung to Napoli after he was being a arse with contracts, Baba has joined which has angered Bangura so he is going, i want Beckham but he won't join :(

I know how you feel, I just missed out on Ishak Belfodil on a free after Lyon released him and my tight fisted board wouldn't let me offer him decent wages. He's just signed for Porto.:mad:

This game drives me nuts sometimes, haven't had a decent transfer budget for 4 years, lost out on Belfodil as the board wouldn't let me pay his wage demand, then they go and announce that they're wasting over 2 million on a stadium expansion because we're hosting the 2018 Europa league final.:mad:

DavidOwensNews_Inbox-17.png

DavidOwensNews_Inbox-18.png

Is Izaguirre worth keeping?/

He is worth keeping, he was my club captain last year and still would be this year but for the fact that he was in the last year of his contract and I couldn't afford to renew it, so I had to sell him. Luckily I bought Enda Stevens a while ago and have a very promising young newgen left back, Izzy was actually being used as my first choice left winger until I sold him.

I've yet to receive a transfer budget of over 1million, I don't think since the first season I've even had as much as 500k at any one time. But I think it's partly down to the way expenditure has been restructured this year as well as a problem with the SPL finances. Eg bonuses last season cost me 5.3 million, staff wages 3.8 million and scouting 500k.

I read the thread you created Mcgougan and I certainly do agree that the match day expenses part of finances for a league like the SPL look pretty ludicrous, I somehow managed to accumulate match day expenses in excess of 10 million last season which is just mental and tax was even worse at over 11 million.

My finances are an utter shambles mostly because of the above expenditure but I guess it's partly my own fault since I keep bringing in free transfers by lying to them about their squad status during negotiations then lowering it once they've signed, so my player wages last season amounted to over 20 million, 2.9 million was spent in transfer fees and agents cost me 1.5 million.

Just about to start season 5 and we're currently at + 3 million but that's probably only due to the recent takeover and getting to the Europa quarter final last year, if we failed to qualify for Europe for a couple of seasons we'd be in real big trouble.

Soon see if they do something about it

Could be a good idea!

Lost the ****ing scottish league cup to hearts 4-2, pure because of my keeper and fullbacks, all 4 goals were utter **** aswell, and shouldve been saved, suffice to say all players are getting fined! This is the second time ive lost to hearts this season, the other being my only loss in the league to date, and it was through the same players!

Got stuttgart in the return leg in europe, at 3-0 down and the way my players just played im really not confident

And then this happened :D

4-0ft.jpg

(8) Im sexy and i know it (8)

Brilliant turnaround there. Baba's such a beast in this game, I keep trying to get him to come back to us but he's just sitting there without a club, no-one else interested in signing him and won't talk contract with us.:mad:

All 4 goals were in the first half, i really was proud, i had a gameplan that if things werent going my way at halftime, i was going to send the team out flying all out attack, thankfully i didnt have to do that, as Stuttgart never turned up, i had so many shots cleared of the line etc, and the keeper kept it from being about 12-0 tbh

Unfortunately i shall have to sell him next season as, theres only 3 games left for senegal that he could play in before his contract runs out, and he isnt going to get a game over Moussa Sow and Papiss Cisse

Best to get good money for him while you can then, I was raging when I had to watch his contract run down due to not paying enough attention to his wp status.

Best to get good money for him while you can then, I was raging when I had to watch his contract run down due to not paying enough attention to his wp status.

Yeah I sold him as he was entering his last year to Wolves for £6.25 million. I could have renewed his contract but he was wanting 39.500k a week and I wasn't prepared to pay that.

It worked out well though as I have Sanogo, Achahber and I picked up a promising 17 year old Greek who is rated to be better than Baba. Also his transfer fee funded me signing Paul Pogba for only £2.3 million.

5 consecutive seasons that makes that I've somehow managed to fail to get us into the Champions league group stages. The game seems to rate us as massive underdogs even at home against teams like this and it's getting really bloody annoying now, honestly on the verge of binning this save as it's the same every year, utterly dominate domestically but my team completely forgets how to play the damned game every time we play in Europe.:mad::mad:.

CelticvFCMidtjyllandInformation_Overview.png

From your misery to my happiness :D

semifinalahoy.jpg

It's great to see someone in here is managing to do us proud in Europe. Will have my fingers crossed for you to go all the way, you deserve it with the results you've got from your team so far.

In other news, a glimmer of hope. Just signed this youngster and he's 4 star potential according to my coaches and his 2.5 star ca means he goes straight into my first team as my cb's have been poor from day 1.:o

AndrejsSmirnovsOverview_Attributes.png

So after a small break (I think I was suffering from FM overload) I have decided to resume my Celtic save. Cant let you guys hog all the glory :D

Anyway on my return to the game I was presented with a small gift from the Emerald Isle

MartinRussellOverview_Profile.png

£100k later and he is mine- 1 star current with a 4 star potential. Any advice on developing him?

So after a small break (I think I was suffering from FM overload) I have decided to resume my Celtic save. Cant let you guys hog all the glory :D

Anyway on my return to the game I was presented with a small gift from the Emerald Isle

MartinRussellOverview_Profile.png

£100k later and he is mine- 1 star current with a 4 star potential. Any advice on developing him?

I'd try to get him a good loan asap, tutoring is going to be tricky as he's already got very high determination and you don't want to be lowering that. Would have him working on his first touch I think and if he's going to be used at dm I'd try and get that strength improving.

Archived