AI Buying Philosophy. Is it a bug?

Considering my initial tweet was..

@milessi with the AI's ability to build teams & squads in the short/long term can it analyse strengths/weaknesses like assman 'team reports'

and that Miles answered me with...

@gregianjohnson the AI has the same tools that human managers do. Always has had.

it seems like a fair answer. maybe the AI can already analyse such data and reports to some extent but is just currently without the ability to full understand it or make actions based upon it? it can put out a decent 1st XI most of the time and prioritise subs so there must be some reaction to the information.

I can assure you that this has been looked into by SI.. that doesnt necessarily mean that they have improved it, but I'm sure they look into it and if they find it insufficient they have either worked on improving it or at least looking to improve it in the near future, perhaps in a patch or even FM2013. Only thing we can do is wait and see.. I'm personally convinced that they indeed have improved.. the question is just if it will be enough :)

There is no inflation in FM that im aware of? Rooney would cost the same at the start of the game as he would 30 years in. Again im not fully sticking up for the AI, it does need a lot of work, but look at Arsenal, three years ago you have put them as one of the main title contenders, now you say they will do well to break the top 6, who's to say if they sack Wenger or he leaves that it could get worse for them, before long they could end up in the same position Chelsea are in that game.

Well inflation or not the prices for players seem to be going up. Looking at the biggest transfer fees during my game, 4 of them happened before the year 2025 and most of them after 2030. It could be that there is too much money overall or something but the effect is the same as if inflation would be in the game.

Miles should just have said "Wait and see" or something to that effect.

The "Always has had" bit suggests that "there never was a problem in the first place".

Miles is suggesting that the AI always had the tools - so why don't they use them in, say, FM11? We know they didn't, because the AI "stockpiles".

We dont know it didnt at all, infact i would go as far to say that is completely wrong, just because it doesn't use the tools exactly like we do does not it does not use them. There would be no point in miles saying the AI can use the tools if it was complete lies.

AI has the tools, but it looks like it's not that good at using them...

The only prospects they develop properly are those Monster Newgens only the AI clubs seem to find/spawn... Those your 20/20 scouts still somehow managed to overlook.

But that's fine, considering for every "new Rooney" the AI clubs get for free, they still waste good money on no-hopers...

It's an old song really...

AI can "see" players' CA and PA, but it fails to put it into perspective... so, even to the best scout/manager in the world, a 90CA/175PA 19yo guy with terrible attitude and weak/uneven attributes, will STILL look like an excellent prospect, despite the fact no amount of tutoring and training will help him to reach that 175CA score, or to become a well-rounded world class player.

In partial AI defense it has to be said many "newgen patterns" are a bit flawed, so it doesn't really matter what you do with them... an AMC with 5 Composure, Decisions, Positioning, Off the Ball and Workrate isn't going to become great, even if he still has 100CA points to achieve.

So when the AI gets lured by the high PA into buying such players, the limitations in training and "player morphing" play a huge role in the transfer being a failure.

Basically it's a matter of "square peg, round hole"... a flawed player just WON'T become unflawed.

Still, AI top managers should be able to recognize "fatally flawed" from "long-shot workable flawed" from "workable" and from "can't miss"

Archived