Can't hit the target

I've been having an issue for a few games. The problem is not so much creating chances - I believe my team is creating "enough" on the whole. The problem is getting those shots that I am having, and I'm not talking about long range shots either, on target.

So my question is, does anyone have any tips for what I can tinker with to try and encourage my players to get more on target. The problem is not their motivation or confidence. Morale is good, my team is motivated, I just have no ideas about what to do to change it

I'll include some examples below...

Bologna 0-1 Fiorentina

25 shots, 7 on target, 9 off target, 9 blocked shots, 13 long shots

Okay, I'll admit, that is quite a few long range shots, even so, 7 shots on target out of 25 is incredibly low. They certainly came into this match intending to park the bus, but to only get 1 goal is incredibly disappointing.

Bari 1-2 Fiorentina

18 shots, 9 on target, 7 off target, 4 long shots, 5 clear cut chances

50% on target is not totally horrible. Compared to the previous example at least. But still, I'd expect to be getting at least 2-3 more on target. Also, to have 5 CCCs in the match, I'd like to think I could expect a better return.

Fiorentina 3-0 Rosenborg

25 shots, 5 on target, 14 off target, 4 long shots

This is one of the ones that frustrated me the most. Even though we won 3-0, we only managed 1 out of every 5 shots on target. With only 4 long range shots, that would mean we still had 20 very good chances, and when we did hit the target, we managed to score 3 out of 5 of them, but we just couldn't do it enough.

Roma 1-0 Fiorentina

8 shots, 1 on target, 5 off target, 4 long shots

Well, we did struggle perhaps to create enough "good" chances in this match. Perhaps this is just one of those matches, but 1 out of 8 on target, even with the 4 long shots seems unacceptable. This is the match that was always going to happen given the recent inability to hit the target.

Celtic 1-0 Fiorentina

12 shots, 3 on target, 3 off target, 6 blocked shots

Well, you can see what's happened to most of the shots there, in fact, looking at the analysis, all of those blocked shots seem to have come from the same general area. An example perhaps of a team defending hard and trying to keep a lead? Well, if they hadn't scored in the 89th minute, I could accept that. Or perhaps they only ever tried for a draw? Their goal was certainly a lucky strike from distance. But all of the blocked shots came from my left side, while the shots that were missed or saved came from the right side, should I expect a more even spread if they were trying to hold on?

Try changing strikers, it's definitely linked to form - strikers can be in relatively poor form which affects their shooting but their performance scores might still be quite good if they have good pass completion, tackling, heading etc. It might be that your strikers are jaded or unhappy for some reason which leads to missing the target which leads to more unhappiness. Try a backup striker for a few games or changing where your goal threat comes from.

Are your shots spread around the team or are you relying on just 2/3 players as a goal threat? If its the latter then you'll always struggle if those players hit a sticky patch of form.

Try the work ball into box shout to restrict long shots.

The ME is a bit stingier than previous FMs regarding shots on target which I think has made things more realistic.

The seemingly fortunate thing about my team is that I don't seem to rely on any single player to score goals. I have goal threats from around 5 different players in open play, and then my CDs from set pieces. I have scored 28 goals from 15 games, and my top scorer has just 6. I even managed 60 goals last season, with my top scorer getting 8, although he was injured for around 4 months at the end of the season.

Perhaps that raises it's own concerns though? I've managed to keep winning so far, but things have become a bit more sticky lately. I'd like to have a player that I could rely on to more often than not stick the ball in the net. The one problem I can see is that my midfield is very strong, and I also find I enjoy the balance that a DCM provides me defensively, which does limit me, because it means I can only have 1 CF, and although he is playing well generally, and providing a few assists, he's not really providing that goalscoring presence...

I too like playing with a team that can score across the field, however, it does make for frustrating stats much of the time. For instance, I play the 4231 formation (2 MC's) with MOdric on in the AML position, and yes, he does score, and a 'fairly' decent amount, though...... the amount he misses is horrific!!

If you are relying on the 'non-strikers' in the team to score your goals, then unless they have good finishing (and supporting skills), you can expect to miss a LOT of shots.

You might want to look at the misses and work out why it was missed. If your players are surrounded when taking shots, then things like composure will be a key stat to look for, but better than that, you will want to make sure they are shooting from space, which means you have to create it.

In short though, if you are relying on players that are not strikers (or at least attribute match it) to score your goals, expect to have a fairly poor set of stats.

LAM

I have been playing with a Very Fluid philosophy, and with some good success. After reading the posts here, I decided to take a step back and take on a Rigid philosophy to try and encourage my CF to be having more of the shots. I also dropped my ACM back to CM.

In general, I have been getting a lot more shots on target lately. Whether that's down to tactical changes or just the bad run of form, it is definitely working now. I've played 7 total matches using Rigid, and scored 19 goals and conceded 7. I've scored at least 2 goals in all those matches, although they haven't been against great quality, with the exception of Juventus.

I do seem to be struggling defensively now though. All 7 of those goals have come in just 4 league games, giving me a total of 15 conceded from 20 league games. However, in their defence, 2 of them came in 1 match as a result of my CD making errors for both goals (he ended with an MR of 3.3). Another 2 came in the last match because my first choice RB and both CDs were injured, even so one of them was a ridiculous error as my GK dived on a ball and completely missed it, allowing the CF to jump over him and tap it in. My defence isn't very settled at the moment, so I'm putting it down to that. My RB has had a couple of 1 match suspensions, while one of my first choice CDs picked up an injury for 3 months and I'm struggling to find someone who will perform in his absence.

Oh the joys of football management... :D

Give this to your striker...

t_00087837.jpg

Then ask him to use it in an attempt to hit this...

3267222_d7bd11017a_s.jpeg

If he's clearly unable to perform said task, it might be time to try another striker.

;)

You Evil, Evil man!

I'll pick myself up off the floor now, Thanks for the giggles.

Archived