FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

4-4-2 works well imo for Lyon, with the wingers cutting inside (Farrow bending inwards) and one CM with a Barrow who is the defensive minded player. I don't really have my FB pushing up, I keep the back four together. Team mentality I set to 2notches to the right of mixed for attacking.

Defensive line on about 8/7 (5/6/7 if im playing away against a good side)

Width - I sometimes play narrow or sometimes I have width on 11/12.

Passing - 8/7 on the slider.

Tempo - Same as passing.

If however the weather is bad like raining, I usualy put passing and tempo to about 12/13 on the slider.

Really trial an error, I have been tweaking my formation for 2 seasons now, I adjust depending on the team I play aswell. So maybe I haven't helped at all, maybe I just waffled here if so just ignore me icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing a 4-2-3-1 with Wingers cutting inside, and its been working wonders.. Benzema scores almost a goal a game upfront.

darren

I'd agree with the guys above, a new DC should be priority.

If you dont want to spend big on Barzagli (12m or so).. some other options are C.Samaba (Blackburn), Felipe (Udinese), Pique (MU - price varies) or J.Faty (Marseille).

Apart from that your team looks great. May be an idea to tweak your tactics a little. I moved from a 4-3-1-2 to a 4-4-2 and now finally to a 4-2-3-1 before finding a consistent tactic.

Hope this helps

The new Benzema is born

This guy got promoted to my youth team in the summer, he's looking incredible already. My scouts give him 5 star potential and apparantly he could become as good as Benzema. At 15 he's a real gem.

Any ideas on what sort of training to get him on? The training side of the game is the one im not so hot on to be honest.

Here he is Dubroca

Main problem is his off the ball and decisions, then his technique/dribbling.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Scott08:

The new Benzema is born

This guy got promoted to my youth team in the summer, he's looking incredible already. My scouts give him 5 star potential and apparantly he could become as good as Benzema. At 15 he's a real gem.

Any ideas on what sort of training to get him on? The training side of the game is the one im not so hot on to be honest.

Here he is Dubroca

For his age scott he looks quite promising, I wouldn't worry just yet that his off the ball/decisions are quite low, if when he is 18/19 they haven't really improved then thats when you should worry! Provided you have 7Star training and he gets alot of youth games he should turn into good player icon_smile.gif

Yeh like you've got. My AMR and AML have arrows to the ST positions and crossing set to rarely as i like them cutting inside, they score and assist.

Then i have a very defensive minded MC who sits infront of the defence and the other on a more normal minded role with mixed passing (Toulalan is ideal here for me). He recieves a lot of the ball from the back and brings my forward players into the game.

My AMC has a free role and chips in with a lot of assists. The ST is very attack minded and bangs the goals in icon_smile.gif

My team looks like

GK Lloris

DR Clerc

DL A.Traore

DC Squillaci

DC Samba

MC M.Veloso/L.Diarra (Defensive)

MC Toulalan/Bodmer

AMR Keita

AML Ben Arfa/Menez

AMC Nasri/Bodmer

ST Benzema

Hope this gives you a rough idea. Any more questions feel free to ask icon14.gif

Originally posted by HoPeY:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott08:

The new Benzema is born

Here he is Dubroca

For his age scott he looks quite promising, I wouldn't worry just yet that his off the ball/decisions are quite low, if when he is 18/19 they haven't really improved then thats when you should worry! Provided you have 7Star training and he gets alot of youth games he should turn into good player icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope so .. cheers for the advice mate icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Agent Tiro:

I think i'm the only person to play with 3 AMC's. Just been knocked out of champions league at first knockout round. Bloody Villareal keeper had a stormer icon_frown.gif

Unlucky mate icon_frown.gif .. Better luck next year!

I played with 3 AMC's in my Lyon game 8.01. Worked well then, fancied using Keita this time though - thus my decision to play Wingers

The guy called Juninho icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome mate and good luck.

Seeing that you play on original i recommend a 3-5-2 system. Your midfield looks like this : 4 players on the middleline, your ml and mr with long farrows, one of your mc's (the one on the right) specific settings of mc, the other mc with a small barrow and settings as a dmc, finally an amc just behind the strikers.

Some people (Hopey) call this a sick system but i won everything with it. icon_wink.gif

Good signings mate. Buy an extra good GK.

You should have gotten more for Toulalon.

Your team could look like this :

GK : Coupet

DC : Grosso

DC : Samba / Squillaci (rotation)

DC : Clercq

MLa : Ben Arfa / Menez (rotation)

MCd : Bodmer

MC : Toulalon / Juninho

MRa : Keita / Montolivio

AMC : VDV / Kallstrom

ST : Benzema

ST : Fred

With this you could win a lot of things believe me.

Also try to sell Muller, Santos, Baros, Anderson, Roux ...

Try to buy some french youth the usual ones and def. go for Briand. (a favourite on this thread)

Hope this helps mate.

Agent Tiro

Another try next year mate. I wish you luck. icon14.gif

Scott

That regen looks great have him tutored by someone who is good at the things he lacks usually works. Maybe Fred.

Hope this gives you a rough idea. Any more questions feel free to ask icon14.gif

the only thing is what your team instructions are, like teams mentality, passing style and width, because i used that fromation once with arsenal with a quick tempo and it did'nt do any wonders for me.

also, i only have two DM's, santos and bodmer, and i would prefer to use either motolivo or van.d.varrt in the mac role, so can bodmer do a good job in that defensive midfield role or should i go with santos.

i haven't played since i first posted here and my next game is saint ettiene so if i ever needed a result, this would be it.

hey all, new to Lyon & the French league - got a feeling im going to enjoy it, makes a nice change to the premier league & serie a that i normally play in..

quick question, i just bought Briand, but left it late, literally just before the season started - but hes ineligible to play - can someone please let me know why?? I also managed to get Amauri & Barzagli - good times! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by the pernambucano of football remainders:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott08:

the only thing is what your team instructions are, like teams mentality, passing style and width, because i used that fromation once with arsenal with a quick tempo and it did'nt do any wonders for me.

also, i only have two DM's, santos and bodmer, and i would prefer to use either motolivo or van.d.varrt in the mac role, so can bodmer do a good job in that defensive midfield role or should i go with santos.

i haven't played since i first posted here and my next game is saint ettiene so if i ever needed a result, this would be it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh Bodmer is great anywhere, he performs at DM, MC or AMC. Iv used him here a lot with Toulalan alongside him, then Nasri infront of them.

For Team instructions, iv put them below. I do tweak them slightly from time to time. Sometimes i use the D-Line deeper, depending on opposition. This is how i set up against Galatasary in the CL, we won 7-1 icon_smile.gif

More luck than judgment i feel, hehe.

instwe2.jpg

Originally posted by jaylord:

hey all, new to Lyon & the French league - got a feeling im going to enjoy it, makes a nice change to the premier league & serie a that i normally play in..

quick question, i just bought Briand, but left it late, literally just before the season started - but hes ineligible to play - can someone please let me know why?? I also managed to get Amauri & Barzagli - good times! icon_smile.gif

Hi and welcome to the best thread on FM08 mate icon14.gif

Only thing I can think is that you may not have assigned him a Squad number. At the bottom of your team screen, there should be a button 'Change' in the bottom right. You can assign one to him here.

Nice transfers too, no experience with Amauri at Lyon so you'll have to keep us posted on how he does.

Just lost for the first time in 56 games in the league. Bordeaux beat us 3-2 after we were 2-1 up. They scored from a corner then 2 minutes later.

In the 88th minute, substitue Gignac pops up in the box with a header in to the top corner to make it 3-3.. but its ruled out for offside.

I said i was unhappy with the decision after the match.. and the FA were silent. So the stupid ref's mistake puts the end to my unbeaten run. Im an unhappy Frenchman!!

Scott imagine how annoyed i was when i had FOUR goals disallowed in one game. Thankfully i got a last minute winner which wasn't ruled out. But i've never wanted to hurt the ref so much in my life. Especially when he's making decisions 50 yards from where it happens!!

As purefun always comes into thread and says Lyon is a top game im going to give them a go, i tried before but only last 1 season but that was because i had a competition with my mate with west brom.

but i am playing with Lyon and also Chelsea and Barcelona because otherwise i dont feel i will get into it enough!

i will post when i have made all transfers with Lyon!

icon_smile.gif

Jaylord

Welcome and good luck mate. And yes this the best thread around (and i made it). icon_biggrin.gif

Like previously said give him a squadnumber and it will be okay hopefully.

Good signings. Do you play original or patched version?

Agent Tiro

Had the same thing going on but had 6 yes six goals disallowed, stupid ref. After the game i complained, offcourse, but i got a warning fgs. icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by dexta200:

As purefun always comes into thread and says Lyon is a top game im going to give them a go, i tried before but only last 1 season but that was because i had a competition with my mate with west brom.

but i am playing with Lyon and also Chelsea and Barcelona because otherwise i dont feel i will get into it enough!

icon14.gif

i will post when i have made all transfers with Lyon!

icon_smile.gif

Welcome mate. icon_biggrin.gif Again offcourse.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys icon_smile.gif re: Briand, when i went to set up for the next game he was available - random! I had enough $ to get either him or Veloso, but ive been reading this thread with interest for a while & i see you guys all rate him highly! Veloso will be my next buy when i have $ again... Anyways, started well, havent conceeded yet after 5 games. Grosso just got injured for 4 months though - great, thats the 1 position i have the weakest cover for (had a bit of a clear out when i took over). Will keep you post on Amauri, hes on 3 goals in 5 so far - mint targetman!

Can anyone suggest a good young LB?

Thanks again J

Originally posted by jaylord:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys icon_smile.gif re: Briand, when i went to set up for the next game he was available - random! I had enough $ to get either him or Veloso, but ive been reading this thread with interest for a while & i see you guys all rate him highly! Veloso will be my next buy when i have $ again... Anyways, started well, havent conceeded yet after 5 games. Grosso just got injured for 4 months though - great, thats the 1 position i have the weakest cover for (had a bit of a clear out when i took over). Will keep you post on Amauri, hes on 3 goals in 5 so far - mint targetman!

Thanks again J

Mate do you play original or patched up?

Can you post screenshots if so do one from your team and your tactic? thx Would make it easier to suggest players?

LB : Sakho, Matthieu, Van Damme

Sorry for x2 post..

Purefun I play original. Ive read alot of your posts in this thread which have been v useful (I like to do my homework on my new team before I start icon_wink.gif)

I also signed Samba, whom i used to get for my Everton side - SOLID icon_smile.gif

I knew i had to get Briand (1 time) when i read your comment about you wishing you had got him at the start!

Great thread btw..

Anyone else had Amauri @ Lyon apart from HoPey? Good to hear he was awesome - tbh, im not suprised lol

Good start mate. And yeh Briand tears the French league apart, not quite so good on 8.02 but by the second season he looks more like his old self.

For LB i signed J.Mathieu for 3.2m. He's about 23 i think and has been really good, plus he's French icon_smile.gif. Keep your eyes on A.Traore aswell - he's probably the best young LB in the game but you have to buy him at the right time to get a good price.

Other suggestions would be Guilherme, Schwelchen or maybe even give Sakho a run of games there.

My results since i last posted

saint ettiene (A)- 1-1, was down to 9 men after roux and benzema got sent off, fred scored in the 84th minute in what was his 3rd appearance since injury

rc lens (H) - 1-0, dominated game but took the 75th minute before keita scored a goalmouth scramble

sporting cp (H) - 0-3 i dominated throughout but two goals came from a counter attack, a free kick and a corner. had 2 disalowed goals as well.

i think i'm going to stick to the tactic recommended by scott08 for league games and probably switch between a 4-4-2 and a 4-4-1 for champs league games. somethign needs to be done as i have 3 points from 3 games and only 1 home game left (arsenal)

Originally posted by purefun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaylord:

Thanks again J

Mate do you play original or patched up?

Can you post screenshots if so do one from your team and your tactic? thx Would make it easier to suggest players?

LB : Sakho, Matthieu, Van Damme </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Purefun i play on mu mates PC, not the laptop im using now, as my laptop is ***** & wont run the game - when i have access to his PC again I'll try & post screenshot icon_smile.gif havent done that before but Ive seen what you guys use so will give it a shot..

Thanks for the suggestions - Ive seen Sakho's name pop up alot in the thread so will endeavour to get him when i have a budget again.

Heres a question - I have Amauri, Benzema & of course Fred - when Freds fit, is he a better option than Cavani??

Appreciate your replies icon_smile.gif

joking aint ya hopey! i've just brought Fred off the bench in the 80th minute in a game where benzema was struggling to hit the net with his many chances. Scores tied at 1-1 and fred comes and scores two! i will never get bored of seeing that! has anyone else found that Fred and Briand play best as the left side striker

Jaylord

Hopey is right with his comment. icon14.gif

Agent Tiro

Yes i find this too but i have difficulties with Benzema to score on the right so i switched these two and now Benzema is scoring and Fred always scores.

Well Guys.. Left? Right?

I say play him up top on his own and here's my proof icon_cool.gif ..

Proof

He's been incredible. Won World player of the year now twice in a row. Striker of the year this year and french player of the year. He's quickly working his way to the top of my favourite player list.

I hope this doesn't come across as me showing off or anything. Im just trying to show people to have confidence about playing him as a lone striker if required icon_smile.gif

Well Guys.. Left? Right?

I say play him up top on his own and here's my proof icon_cool.gif ..

Proof

He's been incredible. Won World player of the year now twice in a row. Striker of the year this year and french player of the year. He's quickly working his way to the top of my favourite player list.

I hope this doesn't come across as me showing off or anything. Im just trying to show people to have confidence about playing him as a lone striker if required icon_smile.gif

Congrats, I don't know you are managing it tbh, because every thing I have tried with Benzema doesn't seem to work. He is still class for me but he only gets about 15-20 goals max a season in all comps, he usually scores important goals or in big games but he is more of an assist merchant for me then a goal machine. Sobis out scores Benzema every time. He is no where near a goal machine as he appears to be for you Scot, what makes it worse is Benzema on my game looks better than you one! icon_frown.gif and I'm like a season maybe a season an a half behind you lol, are you on 8.02? I forgot whos on what patch tbh icon_biggrin.gif

Can I ask what settings you have Benzema as?

Cheers

Hi guys i said i would post when i had finished my transfers and finally!!

scr37773edxx4.th.jpg

Benzema is sickening!! 9 goals in 7 games!

I won the Champions Trophy 4-2 against Sochaux.

and currently top after 6 games winning all but losing 2-0 to rennes icon_confused.gif

but never mind. beat Marsielle 5-0 icon_biggrin.gif loving it! so much fun!

any response to my transfers would be interesting thanks.

Originally posted by purefun:

Benzema doesn't play alone upfront with two he is ace so who would his partner be.

Purefun I play Benzema alone upfront though with Juninho at AMC with a farrow and he's been in sensational form. He's scored 18 goals in the first season and I'm only in January!

Hopey

Yes i play him on the left but i'm not happy with it tbh, going to switch Fred and Benzema see whats going to happen. Benzema scores on a regular basis the same goes for Fred but i just want more. I'm greedy. icon_wink.gif

Agent Tiro

Saivet plays best on the right thats where he also plays in the French team.

Scott

Impressive figures tbh. icon14.gif Well done.

Dexta

I told you you would love the Lyon game. Over and over again. icon_wink.gif

Some nice signings mate.

Araujo his progress i would like to know because he didn't cut it for me!!

Why didn't you buy Costil, Bocaly ... no just kidding although keep an eye on them.

Good start of the season and Rennes are good in the game so watch out with them.

Zychan

Good for you mate. icon14.gif

Another year has passed during my time at Lyon. With a much improved performance all around by my team. Many of whom are happy I just put pen to paper on a two year extension to my contract. No payrise taken, £11,500 a week is more than enough for me.

My league performance was almost flawless. Having only drawn 5 games and lost 1 i finished with a fantastic total of 101 points. 8 points more than last season. I scored 94 goals, an improvement upon last year by 5, however my defence stayed just as tight with only 23 conceded in consecutive years.

PSG were my closest rivals, and they still finished a massive 26 points behind.

The French Cup was won by me this year, an emphatic 3-0 victory against PSG, with Ben Arfa netting twice. Match of that tournament was the semi final away to Girondins Bordeaux. An exciting game where defences became non-existant and ended in a 5-4 victory for me. Cavenaghi equalising for Bordeaux in the 90th minute to make it 4-4, then with Simon Rolfes sent off in the first minute of extra time I was able to put the pressure on. In the final minute of extra time Fred bags his second of the day to ensure victory.

Coupe de la ligue, was a slightly less exciting affair. A 3-1 victory in the final against Sochaux providing entertainment for the fans, and completing the Treble.

Champions League unfortunately never went as well. A stroll through the group stage, even when pitted against Juventus saw me finish top of the group, and I was expectinga reasonably easy 1st knockout round draw. How wrong was I to be, Valencia away came out of the bag. I considered them to be my equal and went into the game hoping to grab an important away goal. Then two moments of brilliance by aguero and i'm 2-0 down. A quick change of tactics to get him played off the park and I come into it more. Briand netted his 6th of the competition to bring it back to 2-1. However in the dying minutes a Villa breakaway saw his first shot saved but Lloris parried it straight back to him, leaving an empty net to aim at. With it all to do in the home leg, i felt confident in my team to make up the two goal defecit. It was going well, Briand scoring a beauty from distance to make it 3-2 on the nith, and leaving me 60 minutes to find another. As time went by it became more and more unlikely. Ludovic Butelle played well above and beyond his capabilities and Valencia went on to kepp their aggregate advantage. I couldn't fault the lads at all, each and every one of them worked hard, won every 50/50. It just wasn't our night.

Now onto the end of season awards.

Star Goal Keeper of the Competition: Hugo Lloris

Foreign Player of the Year: {b]Andrea Barzagli[/b] with Kim Kallstrom second

Manager of the Season: Me

Manager of the Year: Me

Most Assists of the Competion: Van der Vaart and Kallstrom came second and third.

Most Promising Player: Hatem Ben Arfa with Hugo Lloris coming second

Players Player of the Season: Jeremy Toulalan with van der vaart and Ben Arfa coming second and third

Revelation of the Year: Hugo Lloris and Jimmy Briand came second and third

Star of the Competition: Toulalan and Van der Vaart came second and third

Stars Team of the Competition: Lloris, Barzagli, Squillaci, Toulalan, Van der Vaart and Briand with subs bench places going to Ben Arfa, Kallstrom and Bodmer

Orange 11 of the Season: Barzagli, Squillaci, Van der Vaart, Toulalan, Ben Arfa, Kallstrom and Briand

Here is a screen shot of my squad at the end of the season. Lulinha and Saivet are still in the u18's. I was bringing them forward for cup games.

Can anyone think of areas in which i can improve. I'd like to bring another DC in, Sandy Pailot is looking good but may send him out to one of my feeder clubs for some more first team action. I'm thinking of bringing Samba in, or Sakho. Samba has requested a transfer and wants away from blackburn. I'll also be needing a back up keeper. Coupet is drastically dropping stats, and with him being one of my highest earners on £49k a week, something i don't really need.

Agent Tiro

Great season mate shame about the Champions League though.

Lots of awards. icon14.gif

Could you also post a s.s. of your tactic!! thx

For improving : As you mentioned i would def. buy Samba and also Sakho. If you do that you could sell Pasanen/Cris if he is dropping his stats and sell Paillot he isn't strong enough for Europe imo. Another GK is a must you could go french with Costil or foreign with all the usual suspects.

Hi all,

I've heard a few people on the board mention how good the Lyon game was so I'm going to give it a crack.

Starting a new game after completely messing up my computer, having to re format it and install everything again :@:@:@

So my plan is do one season in each country, France, Spain, England, Germany, Portugal, Holland.

Basically Lyon is first up so considering I'm only there for 1 season any tips at all, as my knowledge of Lyon and french football as a whole is.... basic to say the least..

Many thanks

Abit risky with a highish line, but thats your choice. Good season Agent Tiro like Purefun said shame about the CL.

Liam:

I doubt you will just stay for one season because Lyon is a great game and very addictive (Altho FM08 as a whole is addictive lol).

You will need to strengthen in a few area's

- GK

- CB

- ST

Are the three main ones, if you will only do a season with Lyon bring in some world class stars now. The usual well known suspects would be a good idea most people who the most buys in the GPTG forum, unless your after purely French players?

Ask the board for some more finances and you should get a kitty of about £25/30Million.

Most of all good luck and welcome to the Lyon thread icon_wink.gif

Agent Tiro

Thx for the info.

And i would do the transfers you suggested and i agreed upon. icon_wink.gif

Liam

Well like Hopey said.

GK : Costil, Lloris

DC : Samba, Barzagli, Felipe (Udinese)

ST : Gignac or Briand

You need to sell some players though if possible : Anderson, Muller, Santos (is already gone), Baros (the same), Roux, Vercoutre ...

Balls! Knew I forgot to mention something, I took the bold step and decided to sell Fred for £10Million he is leaving at the end of the season to go to porto, best of luck to him but he isn't the same well luved Fred of 8.01 so I can cope with him going. In his place I have decided to buy Cavani for £5.5Million, its a good price but he hasn't played much football for Parelmo only about 10-15 games a season in two seasons which is a real shame, but I am confident with my training and games he will improve quite quickly. He is abit of a risk because perhaps he hasn't developed as well as you could just yet but its a risk I am willing to take considering all my French targets for my French project have been sold to other teams (Briand who was effectivly my last French target that hadn't been sold yet, went in January to Villareal for £19Million, that just happens to be the start of when Rennes struggle for goals I wonder why icon_biggrin.gif)

Archived