FM 2008: Official Wolves Thread - Home to Morgan's Millions

Cereal_Dave

True Wolves fans may want to download this dedicated facepack, containing:

- all available players and staff

- Steve Bull, Andy Thompson, Andy Mutch, Carl Robinson, Mike Stowell...

- Mika Aaritalo and a few other good youngsters, including 2 prospects from W.B.A. icon_wink.gif

http://rapidshare.com/files/70459048/wolves_cut_out_180x180.rar

Enjoy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for an update before the January transfer window in a week or two.

Currently sitting 5th in the Premiership! And also the leagues top scorers which im well chuffed about. Which leads me to say, dont be afraid to attack when you get promoted. Its working great for me. The defence is a bit shoddy, but I'll be bringing in more people soon.

Players already agreed to go in the window are:

Kevin Foley - £1m

Karl Henry - £800k

Darren Barr - £800k

Charlie Mulgrew - £1m

Players coming in are the following:

Stefan Zarkovic - young AM

Magnus Persson - regen DC

Dor Malul - had to cough up £1m but im desperate for a DR

McDonald Mariga - hard worker on a free, squad rotation

Yuval Fogelman - young Israeli DC

Oded Gavish - same as above

Aleksandar Djokovic - young pacey forward

Marvin Angulo - to fill my problem DR position?

My focus there is mainly on youth. Most of them require work permits so they'll have to loaned out for a bit. The majority are playing international football so im hoping they'll get permits soon. I also liked how when i asked for a feeder team, the board said since i have been with Wolves for a while now, i could ask for what type of feeder club i wanted (work permits, local/national loaning, commercial, etc) Nice touch for FM08 icon14.gif

For my first team im desperate for a DR, and possibly a backup DC. My current targets are Justin Hoyte for £1m as he's transfer listed, and Gyorgy Garics who is also listed. Its a tough choice as both are similar but have little pros and cons each.

Andriy Rusol looks a solid DC who is available. Also thinking of loaning Matthew Connolly from Arsenal to provide short term cover, and a possible future transfer. And ive found Yann Sommer who looks a good young keeper, especially with 20 for handling and reflexes for such a young age, well worth a look.

Just into April in my second season now. Im sitting 4th in the Premiership, 9 points ahead of Liverpool icon14.gif Im the second top scorers in the league, but my defence isnt the greatest still.

Barreto is coming into fine form. I started him off as my impact sub while he settled in for the first few months, but now he's replaced Eastwood in the squad and has started scoring well. Eastwood has had many opportunities but fluffed them all. He started brilliantly in the season, but he hasnt scored for almost 6 months now, except a cup game. Im thinking of selling him at the end of the season because you just cant get consistency out of him. Should get a fair bit of money from him to bring in a pacey striker who can stretch defences.

Cor Gillis has been getting better and better. For only £90k i think he has to be my best signing, really solidifying my defence recently. Leon Andreasen just hasnt played well in a single game so he'll be sold, and Keogh is just becoming too frustrating now. Despite having 17 strength and balance, 16 pace and acceleration, great movement, control and dribbling...he just cant score. And next season i'll be playing for the title so i need players i can rely on. He'll be sold too, maybe for a young target man or a natural goalscorer with movement.

Results have been mixed recently. Lost to Man Utd and Chelsea which i can accept. But lost to Newcaslte 3-0 in the cup which was pretty rubbish. Tho I beat Arsenal away 1-0 to get morale back up. Had quite a few 1-0's recently, but 3 points is 3 points so im happy.

Mainly just scouting around for youth now, and players i can get for a bargain. Next season i'll need a consistent goal scorer, a new box to box midfielder (two if i cant make Isaiah Osbourne's loan permanent) and a top DC. A few of my DC's havnt performed well and others have taken a while to settle. It's fastly becoming the weak point in my team.

I'll give another update when the season is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Took over in march first season with wolves in trouble.

Got promoted second season, finished third, joint with second but for one goal - then beat the baggies at wembley.

Best signing was McLeam from Motherwell for 1.2m as wolves defence is fairly poor.

Just starting in the Prem

My team:

Matt Murray

Rob Edwards, Jack Hobbs, McLean, Mulgrew

Kightley, Giles Barnes, Richard Hughes, Ward

Eastwood Keogh

Subs, from:

Preston Edwards,

Justin Hoyte (season loan)

Neil Collins

Darren Ward

Duplus

Thomas Graveson

John De Jong

Olifinjanya

Mark Davis

Andy Van Der Meyde

Van Den Berg

Mauro Zarate

Ronnie Sanchez

Still got:

Mark Little

Matt Jarvis

Ikeme

Stephen Elliott

Originally posted by WolvesNicky:

Bought in -

Sergio Peter - LOAN

Jimmy Walker - 200k, i was in need of a keeper quickly so no choice really.

Matias Almeyda - FREE

Nicky Maynard - 160k, mainly because he has a lot of potential.

Johnathen Evans - LOAN

Steven Lennon - 80k (if he accepts)

OUT;

Jamie Clapham - 75k

Jay Bothroyd - 500k, could of got a lot more for him but no one was willing to pay it.

Stephen Ward - 55k, again could of got more.

Wayne hennessey - 250k

Lewis Gobern - Loan

Won my first game 6-1 againts southampton!

1stgamemp0.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I'm at christmas in my first season and as a devoted wolves fan i have looked to create the best possible team for my beloved Wanderers.

Ins

Rene Mihelic (AML) - 250k

Jonathan Evans (DC) - Season long loan

Adam Drury (LB) - 350k

Chris Eagles (AMR) - Season long loan

Darron Gibson (MC) - Season long loan

Jay De-Merit (DC) - 1.5mil

Joe Hart - (GK) - Season long loan

Outs

Stephen Elliott - Fulham - 1.2mil

Neil Collins - Luton - 600k

Darren Potter - Hull - 1mil

Jamie Clapham - Cheltenham - 34k

Lewis Gobern - 25k

My first team line up

GK) J.Hart

RB) K.Foley

LB) A.Drury

CD) J.Evans

CD) J.De-Merit

MC) S.Olofinjana

MC) D.Gibson

AMR) M.Kightly

AML) R.Mihelic

ST) F.Eastwood

ST) A.Keogh

Andy Keogh is a goal machine he's got 16 league goals and its only christmas. At the minute i'm 3rd but i have got a game in hand of Cardiff who are top and Watford who are 2nd and if i win my game in hand i will go level on points with Cardiff at the top.

I have been able to resurrect my Wolves game, I'm pleased to say. I have just finished the first season, and just about won the Championship with one game to go, ahead of Watford.

This is my current squad:

GK: Murray, Hennessey

DR: Arthur Sorin, Trabelsi, Foley

DL: Pistone, Mulgrew

DC: Valentin Iliev, Walter Vilchez, Leopoldo Jiminez, Darren Ward

MR: Kightly, D Thompson

ML: Jarvis, Diego Rosado

MC: Johan Cavalli, Hamalainen, Potter, Mark Davies, Nacer Barazite

ST: Blas Perez, Keogh, Elliott, Eastwood, Vaclav Sverkos

I did have Aaritalo but At Madrid bought him in January for £4.2m + 25%. I replaced him with Blas Perez for (I think) £2.7m, and he has been excellent so far - a goal a game average.

I also had Jonny Evans, Arnold Mvuemba, Kevin Mirallas and Lee Martin on loan last season. I'll definitely be scouring the loan market to see who I can bring in. Diarra is one obvious name to go for.

I can certainly recommend Johan Cavalli (my player of the season as a forward running MC). He was free at the time, which was on 8.0.1 beta. Plus my two South American DCs - Vilchez and Jiminez - have been very good. As has Iliev. Jiminez only costs £30k, and can play DR and DMC as well. He's surprisingly good in the air, though he's only 5'9".

My problem is now what to do for next season. I know from my Arsenal game that the Prem teams are significantly better than my current squad. I've told the board I expect mid-table safety, and they have given me a budget of £17m to spend, and another £150k in wages.

Has anyone any bright ideas? My coaches barely give even my best players a 3* rating now, so I'm in grave danger of going straight back down unless I get some better palyers in.

I've got a couple of free signings coming in. I'll post the details tonight from home as I can't remember them. One is Noveski as another DC; I know that much.

Then there's the question of tactics. I have been playing Fiora, but I abondoned that even as Arsenal in the Prem, certainly for the top half of the table opponents, as I conceded too many goals. I dread to think what the results would be with this squad.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Good Players who will come to Wolves in the second season (assuming promotion to Prem):

Luis Jiminez (AM - circa 3.5m)

Dimitry Sychev (ST - circa 7m)

Martin Stranzl (DC - free pre-contract in Jan window)

Michele Rigione (DC - free, only 17yrs but next Nesta!)

For those struggling in the CCC, get Marek Matejovsky (AM - I paid 800k) who I bought in the Jan window and helped get to the playoffs and beat W.Brom in the final icon_biggrin.gif

Lucky win today.

I've gone completely mad in my game and signed half of Europe. Admittedly some of them are on loan, but I'm far from sure they're good enough to keep me up. Here is the squad now:

Wolves Squad 08/08 I

Wolves Squad 08/08 II

Transfers in and out

So what had I best do? And what tactics are most likely to keep me from being relegated straight back down again?

I've run up to my wages limit but have around £3m left to spend.

Update:

Michele Rigione rocks!! Tutor him with a good CB and give him chances in the first team. Finished my first season in the Prem (survived!!) and have had enquiries from Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid! 20m price tag put them off but Steve Morgan's got a reputation for selling the crown jewels in this game icon_frown.gif

Almost forgot to say, Mark Davies is being tutored by Luis Jimenez and his performances and stats are getting better and better.

Looking for a new ST to replace Lazy Freddie Eastwood now

I've never really rated Ebanks-Blake so I'm surprised by that. And I don't know enough about Edwards. What kind of a midfielder is he? Please say he has some creativity.

So I'm a bit bemused. But you're right in saying they'd be unlikely to do it if they're thinking of kicking McCarthy out. He's not my favourite person, but I do think they should give him time to get things to how he wants it, and not just do a Newcastle.

3 strikers in a season seems weird to me.

We were rubbish yesterday. Can'y but a win atm.

I'm in difficulty in the Prem as well. Haven't had a chance to play for a while but two games in now and I've lost them both, away at Spurs (1-0) and Man City (3-1). I've started with a defensive 4-1-3-1-1 formation, which gives me plenty of possession but I don't look like converting my chances.

And Man City especially looked like carving me open at will at times.

Any bright ideas?

We were rubbish yesterday. Can'y but a win atm.

I'm in difficulty in the Prem as well. Haven't had a chance to play for a while but two games in now and I've lost them both, away at Spurs (1-0) and Man City (3-1). I've started with a defensive 4-1-3-1-1 formation, which gives me plenty of possession but I don't look like converting my chances.

And Man City especially looked like carving me open at will at times.

Any bright ideas?

Increase training on thinks like finishing and attackng. Bet a better attacking coach. Be patient with the tactics- give it a month and don;t change too much

I'm now in summer 2014, and it's time to praise some players from the original squad. I won't go into details because I twinkered a bit with data and other stuff, but these facts remain:

1) Wayne Hennessey made 361 appearences, 40 MOM, and has the stuff to etablish himself as a top class keeper

2) Michael Kightly made 376 appearences, scored 37 and made 69 assists

3) Andy Keogh with 344 appearances and 215 goals was the key striker

Even Neill Collins, Daniel Jones and Karl Henry did very well.

The interesting thing is, in prospective to reality, that we went straight up but were relegated without discussion, with Keogh netting 5 times and Elliott being the seemingly only decent premiership striker. Eastwood was too problematic to handle in the long term, even if I'm sure he could deliver if played constantly.

All the above mentionned players are still in the squad, with Lee Naylor, Robbie Keane, Mark Davies and Matt Murray.

All these simulations make me beleive that Wolves have no chance to etablish themselves in the Premiership in the short term, because we would need the money of 3 Morgans to build a competitive squad.

Our actual squad is surely young and promising, but the good old Forest '80 are far behind us and another miracle isn't possible; the lads won't stick to a project, but to their wallets...

Quite sad TBH, but at least we can live the dream with tis game, which is as great as our hunger for success.

Of course I just won the Premiership, with a handful of iberic discoveries. icon_biggrin.gif

PS: Steve McLaren isn't in the beautiful game anymore icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

I agree about Hennessey. Im just starting the 2010/11 season and all his stats are 15+. He's always been my second choice keeper tho and no one would loan him, so his stats could be better if he started playing.

The only players I still have from the original team are Murray, Hennessey, Mark Davies and suprisingly Daniel Jones! He always seems to play well despite his poor mental stats. He's my backup DL but always reliable.

This season im challenging for all cups, despite winning nothing last season. I previously finished 2nd in the league on goal difference to Arsenal, tho i was the leagues top scorers. I also got to the semi finals in europe, being beaten by Barcelona. Theres a few players who make my team tick and i wouldnt swap them for anyone:

Javier Acuna - cost me around £4m (which is a lot for me) but his physical presence cant be beaten. Scored 20 odd goals last season despite missing the last couple of months injured.

Barreto - bought for £2m from Udinese 2nd season. This guy is amazing. 17 pace, acceleration and off the ball, 19 dribbling and stamina, 20 work rate, 18 finishing and composure, 20 technique...dont need to say much more. Turned out to be a real bargain.

Cor Gillis - cost me under £80k, he's the rock at the heart of my defence. No real weaknesses, bit of pace on him, and a good passer of the ball. Still young and can only get better.

Im trying to bring in a lot of youth now as my team is pretty stable and now has added depth. Plenty of money in the bank with a wage budget of £50m icon_eek.gif Still looking out for free signings tho as thats been the key to a lot of my dealings. They can give you the depth you need to last the season, and always hope to bring in that one gem that'll lift the team.

Well, at the half way point in the 2nd season and I'm doing pretty well. 5th; just had a mayhemic 3-3 draw with Arsenal at the Mol.

Went through a six game run without a win (losing to Reading in the Carling quarters) but managed to cling on to beat Pompey 3-2 in the previous match.

I'm struggling to work out how to get the best out of Luis Jimenez, though with a more defensive 4-4-1-1 formation he's just got me two goals in the Arsenal game.

Estanoyoff is out for 2 months, but have kept him on. Not sure if that's the right decision.

I have started a new game AGAIN!! I am still figuring out my best tactics. I am so inconsistent. I blew a chancd of promotion in the first season. i wonder if the expectations you choose at the beginning have an effect on your performance as a team?

• 2 weeks later...

Ten years have gone by, Hennessey, Kightly and Keogh are still doing a great job in the premiership, depsite the fact that they are top championship players and only average premiership lads. Ah, and Daniel Jones is still active more or less.

All the rest was only good for the championship

Ah, another few good seasons by Keogh and he will break Steve Bull's scoring record

ah, its been a while but i see the wolves page is back in full swing! :p got the game over xmas and as with all new versions, started the first save with milan (say what you like, i kick ass!). next game will either be with wolves, or a 3rd division club (no, its NOT league 2, muppet!), or start unemployed. wouldnt mind seeing the champions league trophy at the mol though... :p

as for real life, wolves, sort it out!start of teh season we were aiming for the top 2, now we're tryin to stay in touch with the playoffs, AGAIN?! the situation is akin to that at liverpool, sights high then progressively go down. plus, surely torres would be much happier in wolvo!

see you again soon guys

Well, I am still trudging on as Wolves. just starting the 3rd season. I somehow finished third in the Prem in season 2 - god knows how. I was mid-table and pleased with it until a late surge.

So I was given £25m to spend in season 3 for the European campaign. Here are the current squad and transfer details:

Current squad

The GKs are chopped off: Murray and Jamie Ashdown. They're about even, though Ashdown seems a fraction better imo. Hennessey is in the reserves.

Transfers In & Out Summer 09

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone is still playing with Wolves ? because i do and i really enjoy icon_wink.gif My first season was really poor finished in 17th postion icon_frown.gif but then in the second i won a promotion with a miracle in semi-final of the playoff's, check it out icon_wink.gif

stebuklasir5.th.jpg

then in final i've thrashed Boro 5-1 icon_wink.gif later i will post my team

Hey, Palace fan here, but playing as Wolves after managing Sierra Leone for a successful period, before deciding on going for a club team as well. Mich McCarthy was sacked and Wolves offered me more than Southampton so here I am.

Given 700k to spend so I've signed Julius Wobay (Sierra Leone LW 200k), Rhoys Wiggins (Palace LWB 150k), Nicky Butt (free), Preston Edwards (Millwall GK) and several other youngsters.

Also does that transfer glitch still work?

• 4 weeks later...

in my 4th season and still in the championship icon_frown.gif last 2 seasons i have lost in the play-offs 26 games into this season and i am 10th.

Just won 6 out of 7 so in a good run of form.

Almost lost my job before that run my status was very insecure.

Aint played my xbox360 for over a month now due to the addictiveness of this game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, first post on the wolves forum!!!! good one too!

I am in my second season in the championship( finshed 7th on gd last season). I have what i think is a promotion achiving squad, yet i am sooo inconsistent it is bloody ridiculous!

2nd season- 7 wins in a row scoring 20 conceding 2

next 7 games- 1 win, 2 draws and 3 defeats scoring 8 conceding 19! it is really annoying me now!

my team is a sfollows!

murray

foley

chris hogg (signed from hibs)

rob jones (^)

elokobi

kites

potter

olo

jarvis

elliott

eastwood

i also have henners, mulgrew, keogh, bothroyd, daies etc on the bench!

have signed marvin elliott for 750k which i thought was a good deal

Ahh its good to see a few people starting to come back to this thread! I havnt played my Wolves game in a long time, after winning most trophies after about 4 or 5 seasons.

Ive heard the players had been toned down a bit too since the last patch. Is this true? Wouldnt suprise me after our poor mid-season.

I might start another game with them, sounds more of a challenge this time.

Originally posted by mrwolves:

in my 4th season and still in the championship icon_frown.gif last 2 seasons i have lost in the play-offs 26 games into this season and i am 10th.

Just won 6 out of 7 so in a good run of form.

Almost lost my job before that run my status was very insecure.

Aint played my xbox360 for over a month now due to the addictiveness of this game.

Yup, SAME here

I am in my first season with wolves, signed a couple of decent players, not doing to well as usual!

In:

Kyle Reid, West Ham, Loan

Paul Wotton, Plymouth Argyle, £250k

Anthoney Barry, Yeovil, P/Ex

Kyle Lafferty, Burley, Loan.

Sold mulgrew, clapham from the first team.

Any ideas of a formation or tactics, it what im useless at lol.

Thanx in advance

Archived