Finally!! The Barcelona Tactic :D

I have in my career thread been striving like all of you to replicate possession football, i've only been able to produce possession without enough goals or have plenty of goals, but not enough possession so far :(, sadly this has shown how much ground fm has to cover before it becomes a good replicate to real life, in my opinion it should be about the kind of players you possess but that not how fm works at the min, for me to create a tactic that is defensive and works on the break is pretty easy, but for some reason creating a tactic that the opposite isn't, really don't understand that.

Btw congratulations on the hard work you all done so far and i am looking forward to the finish result when hopefully motcha gets back.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm back, safe and well. I just needed some time to absorb everything that hapened and then it didn't feel right to blame my favorite game but its getting better. I tweaked a bit in my 4-3-3 in terms of the team-instructions and the position of the FB (they are now mid-field players). I'll upload the tactic when I go home and discuss how a formation of 2-5-3/2-3-5 is just as solid defensively as the tactic I shared with you guys.

Speaking of being tactically solid, I've noticed that a lot of people have been viewing the tactic as a bit short on goals although solid defensively. Let us first agree that it is quite something that a tactic as attacking and possession-based as this can yield such a solid defense then we can move on to see why it is not scoring as many goals.

I'm using patch 11.2 and will download 11.3 soon. I've played 12 games or so with Liverpool and I'm yet to be beaten although, like many of you noticed, goals weren't that many. However this is actually common. Even Barce themselves found it really hard to score in the first few games under Guardiola. There are a number of key things to consider:

1) Comfort

You might be scoring a few goals and missing a number of chances but is it a comfortable win? that is the question you need to ask (particularly because I suspect that most of the "strugglers" are still in the first season) are the games you are playing even and you manage to win in the final minutes. Or is it a case of you dominating the entire game then scoring a few goals that doesn't reflect your domination.

If it is the latter (and I suspect it is) then there is nothing to complain about! :D enjoy winning, build up the confidence and encourage the team to keep doing what they do and eventually you'll start scoring a lot of goals. I usually find that the second season is my best in terms of play. So keep nurturing the "team" and only time is keeping you away from achieving your potential.

2) Players

You need incredibly gifted players for this tactic, you can't expect the same fantastic results with good players, they are not enough, you need fantastic players. Look at Barce when they had Messi, Eto'o, Henry and compare them with when they had Messi, Ibra, Pedro. Both where good but there is a significant gap in terms of quality and as a result goals. For example my forward line is currently quite good with Piatti (10 goals), Torres (8), Gerard (12) in November but I'm not going to stick with them in the long run. I'm going to buy players like Hazard, Neymar, Suarez, Rossi, Dzeko, Paulo Henrique and Hamsik if I want to get to the level I want. And I do not mean buy some of the players I mentioned, I meant buy them all! Because there is a huge difference of when Torres is injured and I use N'gog or Kuyt to fill the gap and when Torres gets injured and I bring on Hazard. You need to have quality to achieve quality results. It is as simple as that.

Hope this has helped.

is it possible to recap the tactics on the first post so that it's easier for newbies to get the tactics before reading everything through???

What's the latest one by motcha and is it ok with the last patch (with which i had many problems with injuries by the way!!!!)

thanx to y'all

It's ok with Patch 3 but not as amazing as in the previous patches so I'm working on changing that.

The tactic is basically a possession based , it is not based on a cheat but on a simple idea of controllning space.

It argues that the flanks are marginal in terms of controlling possession and here you must strive to out number the opposition in the middle through different means.

This explains why there are 3 MCs (no tactic uses 3 mc, they use 2 mc and DMC or an AMC) and 3 SC (who out number the opp. 2 CB).

The player who finds the most space is always the central SC (who is a false 9) hense he should be your number 10 player (Messi, Kaka, Hazard, Neymar,...etc) he will score ad make lots of goals.

This is basically the premise of the tacic.

The problem with patch 3 is that the AI seemed to respond to the tactic's proposition (the middle is the most essential part of the pitch) by seeking to press high on my CB (with up 2to 5 players at time) and given that the tactic is a possession based one and realise on defence to bring the ball out of defence, my CBs get isolated from the midfield and it becomes really hard for me to bring the ball out of defense and use my numerical superiority further up the pitch. This is what working on solving right now, the trick is that you do not want to compromise the basics of the tactics (short passing)

okay! thanx for the update :p

I hope you're going to find clues to counter the patch 3 update! This is a very interesting way of tackling the subject and I must admit I ve been amazed by the work you did on this Barça tactic!

The 5-1 game against Donesk and the games to come against Madrid might give you some other ideas!!

I'm looking forward to reading more!

Yeah possession and passing are quite good, but it even after the end of the first season, the team still struggles to score...I had only 1 game in the entire second season where a I scored more than 4 goals, I scored eight, there should be much more games. I'm still working on it though

Hey Motcha, good to see you safe and well!

Been using your tactic in 11.3 patch. I've played 42 games in the season and won 42 games out of 42. 27 out of 27 in the league. I've scored 90 goals and conceeded 11. Messi has scored 62 goals in 40 games. David Villa has 35 in 35 and Pedro has around 22 goals.

Made a few littles weeks here and there, upped some of the attacking ratings of Villa, Messi and Pedro. Made Dani Alves more attacking and just in the last few games it felt like the opposition was getting used to my tactics so i went back to your version without any tweaks and i've won the last 4 games 5-1 and 4-0. So yeah, keep up the good work! Haha.

My only thing i cannot seem to quite get is the amount of passes. Iniesta and Xavi frequently only have around 35 passes a game. Xavi can have 60-70 sometimes but only if i win 6-0 and dominate all game. Busquests and my CB's seem to have really high amounts of passes. Busquest and Pique had 100 each a few games ago!

How would you recommend increasing Xavi and Iniestas passes? Or how did you do it on yours originally?

hey Liam, I'd say the problem is Busquets and your 2 CBs are having less passing options (especially that you made Alves more attacking) so they end up passing the ball to each other in search of an opening then they probably pass it back to GK.

There are a number of solutions, my favourite would be doing the following: 1) Use PlayMaker. 2) Set Xavi as your playmaker. 3) In the GK instructions, set distribution "defender collect", distribute to Xavi (Xavi, as a result, will drop deep to be more involved in the play). 4) Raise the CBs passing to higher than the midway point, but don't make it direct. This will help them pass it straight to Xavi.

Having said that I'm surprised you have had such luck in patch 11.3 because I'm really struggling, I've just lost 7 consecutive games in the league.

Hey Motcha, thanks for the tips. Im using defender collect etc for the goalkeeper but i will try and use Xavi, i've decreased Alves' attacking abit.

I frequently win comfortably and the likes of Messi and Villa will have ratings of 8.7 and up, Xavi will sometimes have a 9, Alves and Abidal will have quite high but frequently Iniesta will only have a 6.9, its really frutrating lol im a perfectionist so i love to get everything perfect.

Just completed a perfect domestic season with Glasgow Rangers using this tactic.

Combining the League & 2 Domestic cups my team went.....

Played 47, Won 47, Scored 167, Conceded 11.

I am about 9 seasons into my game and previously had a 100+ game undeafted streak in the SPL.

Just completed a perfect domestic season with Glasgow Rangers using this tactic.

Combining the League & 2 Domestic cups my team went.....

Played 47, Won 47, Scored 167, Conceded 11.

I am about 9 seasons into my game and previously had a 100+ game undeafted streak in the SPL.

Which version of the tactic you using? Is it 11.3?

I'm releasing my new tactic in a couple of hours so I would appreciate your feedbacks on it. It is a little more complicated than the 1st and 2nd version but it will be, by far, the most fluid tactic you'll ever use in Football Manager. And that's a promise.

Now I wanted to say a few things on the pshycological aspect of Football Manager that helps perfect this tactic (and any other tactic for that manner).

The key to the psychological game is two fold: 1) Your team: a) You have to make them feel confident and happy, b) but without them losing motivation, c) and without lying to them about how you really viewed their performance. 2) The opposition: You have to make them dread them playing you, even if they the stronger team theoratically.

Moving on from the general to the particular, you manage your teams's psychology through three means: press conference, team-talks, player interaction.

Press Conference

Manage your expectations depending on the odds ( a well known opinion). Here's how to do it, if the team is clear favourites you must be confident in your press conference. If its a close game you always be confident in yourself but acknowledge the opposition (for example opposing player is a fantastic player who we know of his quality and things like we'll win if we stick to the plan). If you are unlikely to win, release any pressure on your team and acknowldge it will be hard for you to win, but never doubt your confidence (dont say you seem nervous).

Player Interaction

After finishing the press-conference and before clicking continue, go to your tactic screen and decide on your deciding line-up. Because this is the best time to impact the players mentality. You talk to them about 3 things: training levels, match performance, recent form. Tell players who score below 6.4 that they sucked the last game, they'll appreciate that and their morale will increase when they get on the pitch. it gets trickier the higher the rating is, a player like Suarez is always surprised when I praise him when he gets a score of 7.4, saying he actually didn't play well. This is because he sets really high standards for himself. He actually appreciates it more when I tell him he didn't play well (without being too harsh). Other, like Skrtel, expect to be congratulated on a 6.7 rated performance. Try to be more generous with youngsters, even if they are wonderkids, and see how they react and record it to use it later.

Team-talk

Use the team talk in accordance with the match odds. If you are the favorite always tell them that you expect them to win so that they carry out a professional job. If its a close encounter tell them that they can win this or wish them luck. If they are likely to lose tell them that there is no pressure. Note: Don't use for the fans in a pre-match team-talk as it usually adds pressure on the players, use it in half time but ONLY if the team is being complacent. If the team played well in the first half but failed to achieve the expected score tell them no pressure or that you sympathize with them, don't encourage them because that puts more pressure on them (they are already doing ther best so what are you encouraging them for).

The most important tip I belive is do not praise, your team whether in half time or at the end, if they achieved the expected result. You only praise them if they do it unexpectedly (win 5-0 when you were expecting a 2-0, or through a comeback). But if you are expecting them to win 1-0, and then they do win 1-0 then why are you praising them. It's there job to fulfill your expectations. An important tool to use is the motivation screen available during the game, I for one can't live without it.

Keeping a happy squad is the key to performing well and dodging any bad runs.

http://www.easy-share.com/1914734222/barce%202%20%28Liverpool,%20Feb%202011%29.tac

There it is, finally. At one point I thought I'd never make a new tactic but here it is nonetheless. Whay is it? it's a 4-3-3, 4-2-4, 4-4-2 all in one. It's also a 3-4-3, 3-5-2 and 3-6-1 depending on the players you use.

This is the most fluid FM tactic you will ever use.

So What Changed In The New Tactic

Everything and nothing; it is still the exact same tactic, the very first one I shared, but with a number of major tweaks in differenet areas. I changed the initial positioning of the players; 1) STCr was moved to become an AMR. But I left the remaining two strikers in their original psoition.

2) MCl was moved to become an ML. 3) the DR became more attacking.

To put it simply:

GK: Valdes

DR: Alves

CBs(r,l): Puyol, Pique

DL: Abidal

MCr: Xavi

MCl: Busquets

ML; Iniesta

AMR: Pedro

STC: Messi

STCl: Villa

We will talk in more depth about the tactic but I'm leaving to watch the game now, this is qyuite a good base for you to understand the tactic.

Hope I'll hear your feedback soon.

Played 3 games with the new tactic Motcha, won by 3 or 4 goals in all of them. Iniesta is sensational for me on the left BUT... the number of passes are drastically down, Xavi and Iniesta are only getting like 25 passes a game and Xavi cannot seem to get higher than a 6.9 with this new tactic. Also, possession isn't very good. Seems to start high at around 65% but by full time it seems to be down to 50-50% and no higher.

I'm working on the passing issues, (passes in general should still be around the same level, but divided more equally on all players)

You should be making an average of 450 passes with that tactic.

As for Possession Liam, I'd think this is more team-talks issue. Don't tell them your pleased with them or change what ever your doing in the team-talks.

But I will look into all that.

Barce 2 and adapting to the pressure posed by patch 11.3

Let us first recap the brief history of the previous two tactics;

The offensive premise was simple, the central part of the pitch is the most important, out number the opposition their and you win. As a result the formation used 3 MC and 3 ST (something that was not usual at the time, but was proven to be a popular move if you look at tic-tac's tactic).

As a result, the defense passed the ball to the midfield easily, and the midfield was able to find the fals 9 easily as well who always wreaked havoc to opposition defences whether by scoring or creating goals. The tactic was unstoppable.

How did 11.3 deal with that

We can argue that the premise of the tactic is a universal truth, out number a opposition in those areas and you win. And since it was impossible for the opposition to play with 4 MCs and 4 CBs (the least amount of players necessary to out number my players). They thought it is better to focus on preventing the ball from reaching the midfield, and if that happen then to strive for it not to reach the false 9.

How did they do it?

Simple, pressure. Since my tactic assumed the marginality of the wings, it rendered the oppositions FBs and SMs useless. And it became about finding a way back for those positions when playing against me. and since they know it will be impossible for them to keep the ball more than I will, they focused on how to use those players defensively.

A number's game

Technically, and this will prove a draw back in my tactic, I don't rely on attacking FBs, the role of an FB in my tactic is to recycle possession on the half way line when the opposition clears the ball. That meant that during my build up process, I had 0 players on the wings.

That meant that the opposition had two players (The MR/L and the FB) marking thin air (and if you think about it you'll realize that the opp. DF and MF were all confused to their defensive duty, all of them were marking thin air). So playing narrower in defense, but higher up the pitch was the way defensively.

Putting Pressure on the Barce Tactic

Since my FBs didn't do much offensively, the opp. MR/L could afford to play narrow in the midfield safe in the knowledge that the opp. FB can deal with my FB if necessary. This created a 4v3 situation in the middle for the opposition's favor. It also narrowed down the passing options of my CB who were committed to short passing. They could either pass it to the FB or back to the GK now.

That meant that I kept the ball a lot, but not in the areas I wanted. It also meant that I couldn't get the ball to my influential false 9. Barce has been rendered obsolete.

How to Evolve?

Part of management is realizing that good moments can't last forever, so you should always be ready to give up on small things without compromising your principals. And the key was to provide the CBs with more passing options so that we can get the ball to the false-nine. While doing that, I also managed to create new threats.

So what happened

Quite simply, I made the right full-back more attacking and the left-one more defensive. Then I pulled the Iniesta role wide left and asked him to cut inside. I dropped one of STC to become an inside forward while keeping the other two strikers exactly the same.

That did three things:

1) By dropping the ST to a RW position and making the RB attacking, the opp. full-back has become involved in a 2 v 1 situation. This will later on force the opp. ML to stay wide to help out. Meaning that so far, and Ceteris Paribus, it has become 3v3 situation again in the midfield.

2) However this wasn't enough because now power is balanced, we needed another move to tip the balance in my favor. To achieve that I had to drag the Iniesta role out wide on the left and ask him to cut inside. now it became impossible for any of the opposition wingers to press high up. It also opened a new passing option to my LB who can quickly find the iniesta role player, who in turn has space to either cut inside and recreate the numerical advantage scdenario, or quickly find my false 9 who will wreak havoc again because a 2v2 is also dangerous enough if the false 9 is really good.

3) By moving the iniesta role something else happened, and it basically shifted the balance of the build-up towards the left side (most of my players are leaning to the left flank). This made the opposition LB always isolated in a 1 v 1 situation with my right winger. As a result my RW and STCL get more space and become a lot more dangerous. I'll provide detailed pix of this as soon as I get access to my Laptop but for now imagine this:

1) The Iniesta role gets the ball on the left.

2) False 9 drops deep to receive the ball, taking one of the CBs with him. There is a giant hole in the middle of their defense.

3) The RW, who has dragged the opp. FB wide, makes a diagonal run in behind the opp. FB. The false 9 spots it and threads the ball through.

4) the opp. CB who was marking the STCL is in a dilemma (a 2 v 1 situation) he either has to leave the STCL unmarked to close down RW. And in that case a simple cross would lead to a goal (a la pedro to Villa in real life with the cross into the six yard box). Or the CB keeps marking STCL and RW goes 1 on 1 and usually scores (this is very similar to the kind of passes messi made to Villa in the 5-0 win).

Next part we'll discuss the tyoe of players needed for this tactic, but before that I'll post some oix to illustrate the new tactic.

PS: Ventura, Aguero is by far the best ;D

Well I have always liked your tactics since version one, since they were very Barca-esque and still successful, but in my opinion version 3 clearly fails to be "the Barcelona tactic".

I don't say it's bad/whatever, but you slowly deviated from replicating the Barcelona tactic to building an all-team-winning tactic. If you look at your shape, it is more a 4-4-2 now than a 4-3-3. You can see it perfectly by viewing the average positions under the Analysis tool. I understand your reasons to do this (as you stated) and even though it's tempting to change the shape to get more success, you have to stick to your intention, which was to replicate Barcelona.

Looking at the pass statistics, the midfield, which is the core of the Barcelona system, doesn't have too many passes. In real life Xavi and Busquets(!) have about 100 passes/game and Iniesta 80. Okay its impossible to achieve THAT many passes, but you could try to have 3/4 of the passes, which should be about 500/game and 75 for Xavi/Busquets and 60 for Iniesta. The False Nine Messi should be involved in the build-up as much as possible too as he sometimes drops very deep to get the ball.

Building a Barcelona-like tactic also means that the only tests you can make to tell whether the tactic is working or not is by playing with Barcelona, because they're the only team with the required players to achieve the maximum (well exception is your team in the future, with Regens that are alike). You shouldn't be concerned with someone saying that his Oxford side didn't manage promotion with your tactics as they lack the quality.

Don't take this critic as a "Your tactic is ****" type. I'm a huge Barcelona fan and really hope that at some point it is possible to play like they do (about 700 passes/game, 70% possession, Busquets dropping between the Pique and Puyol, extreme closing down.....). I tried to build a Barca tactic myself but obviously not working the way I wanted it to and as you have more knowledge and experience in building tactics, I really hope you're working to eventually get the 100% Barcelona tactic.

Well I have always liked your tactics since version one, since they were very Barca-esque and still successful, but in my opinion version 3 clearly fails to be "the Barcelona tactic".

I don't say it's bad/whatever, but you slowly deviated from replicating the Barcelona tactic to building an all-team-winning tactic. If you look at your shape, it is more a 4-4-2 now than a 4-3-3. You can see it perfectly by viewing the average positions under the Analysis tool. I understand your reasons to do this (as you stated) and even though it's tempting to change the shape to get more success, you have to stick to your intention, which was to replicate Barcelona.

Looking at the pass statistics, the midfield, which is the core of the Barcelona system, doesn't have too many passes. In real life Xavi and Busquets(!) have about 100 passes/game and Iniesta 80. Okay its impossible to achieve THAT many passes, but you could try to have 3/4 of the passes, which should be about 500/game and 75 for Xavi/Busquets and 60 for Iniesta. The False Nine Messi should be involved in the build-up as much as possible too as he sometimes drops very deep to get the ball.

Building a Barcelona-like tactic also means that the only tests you can make to tell whether the tactic is working or not is by playing with Barcelona, because they're the only team with the required players to achieve the maximum (well exception is your team in the future, with Regens that are alike). You shouldn't be concerned with someone saying that his Oxford side didn't manage promotion with your tactics as they lack the quality.

Don't take this critic as a "Your tactic is ****" type. I'm a huge Barcelona fan and really hope that at some point it is possible to play like they do (about 700 passes/game, 70% possession, Busquets dropping between the Pique and Puyol, extreme closing down.....). I tried to build a Barca tactic myself but obviously not working the way I wanted it to and as you have more knowledge and experience in building tactics, I really hope you're working to eventually get the 100% Barcelona tactic.

What is your scenerio about barcelona tactic man share us ....

I agree with some of the things you said on there Heroine without a doubt. Particularly on the individual passing of Xavi and Iniesta. However I strongly disagree on two things: 1) This does not look like a 4-4-2 tactic, sometimes it goes to a 4-4-2 tactic (Barce themselves turn into a 4-5-1 when defending) but the general shape is stil 4-3-3. The proof for that is that the AMR get through on goal more than any other player in the team.

If you watch the second half of yesterday's game against Real carefully. The shape of the 3 forwards is exactly like this tactic. Messi became an inside forward on the right. Pedro moved a little towards the left (just like the STCL in the tactic) , he had two one on one chances which shows he was playing more centrally but towards the left. Villa was playing the false 9 role. To sum it up, the team's shape in the tactic should look very close to this: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/21/real-madrid-1-0-barcelona-copa-del-rey-tactics/

As for possession, this tactic still keeps 65 to 70% possession. And you can get more than 600 passes and I'll show pictures of that. The Deep-Lying forward makes more passes than the Xavi and Iniesta role so he is very involved in build up (TIP: if you feel unstatisfied with your false 9 and want him to be even more involved, drop him to an AMC position)

Having said that I agree that the build-up deviated a little from the real-life, although I feel the notion is the same.

But what this tactic needs is a few tweaks, which I won't be able to do without your notes ;)

Motcha this just isnt working for me. I was having lots of success with your 11.2 tactic in the 11.3 update but i thought i'd change to this version in 11.3 and im getting beat frequently. Possession is down to 50% sometimes just above. Passes are drastically down. Everyone just seems to be struggling. I dont know why or whats happening, im using team talks like you suggested as well.

The 11.2 tactic worked brilliantly for me in 11.3 at the start. I had a great run in the league but all of a sudden it stopped working. Teams were starting to dominate me and I couldn't get any sort of results. While it ws working it was the best tactic I have ever seen for FM. The passing and movement was fantastic. The 11.3 tactic doesn't work very well at all for me, the defence seems very weak, even with very good defenders in my team.

I have been playing the Championship Manager/Football Manager series since it was invented, this is by far the best formation i have ever had the privilege of using, the football is out of this world. Solid at the back and scores plenty of goals. Possession football at its best. Just finished first season at Everton and qualified for the Champions League. Only made one signing and that was in January.

I have been playing the Championship Manager/Football Manager series since it was invented, this is by far the best formation i have ever had the privilege of using, the football is out of this world. Solid at the back and scores plenty of goals. Possession football at its best. Just finished first season at Everton and qualified for the Champions League. Only made one signing and that was in January.

which tactic ? for the 11.3 tactic ?

Archived