[FM11] Hastings United - The place where TV was born. There was a battle too, apparently.

thezogsageordie

First of all, the title. I actually live in Hastings and if you've ever been to Hastings or have heard anything about Hastings it's pretty grim. I personally quite like it, but I've always been a sucker for the underdog! The title itself kinda defines Hastings in the sense that if you asked 100 people most would probably think that John Logie Baird (there's a Wetherspoons named after him) creating the TV more important than the battle of 1066. It's nothing special but it's just Hastings. Not a lot happens, there are too many fights, too much trouble, underage drinking (including myself back in the day but who didn't?) and generally everything that Whitehall hates, we love!

Having said that I wouldn't change it for the world. Only thing I would change would be Hastings United's fortunes!

I'm running this as part of dafuge's challenge and before I start I'd like to thank Cleon for his tactical insight, which having read makes me feel a bit more comfortable within my tactics than I was before and also Heathxxx for his lower league thread, which has also come in handy (I've stolen the corner setup!)Without further ado let the season commence!

Season League Position Achievements Finances

2011/12|..BSS...|...........|....................|...£25k...|

Season One 2011/12

Pre-Season Report

My approach on pre-season is to play 7 games in approximately a month, with two weeks to recover before the start of the season. The first 4 are what I'd call "money spinners" in the sense that I don't intend of getting anything out of the game, apart from money. The next 3 are "morale boosters" all games which I hope my team batters the opposition to get their morale up. All games are away due to financial reasons. Simple.

1-1 Sporting Club (SIM)

0-1 Ksar (MTN)

0-5 Union San Felipe

2-2 Rovers Utd

1-0 Negombo Youth

5-0 Persib

4-1 Pickering

Transfers

I shipped out a total of 37 players including youth and brought in 20. Absolute merry go round.

My hopes for the season are merely to stay up and stay in the black!

Predictions for the season

1) Darren Barnard to score a fair amount of set pieces and get a decent amount of assists too!

2) Ade Akinbiyi to live up to his name and score at a ratio of less than 1 in 3.

3) Alexis Nikolas to be voted player of the season.

if you've ever been to Hastings

I have, actually.

Went there because I grew up in a town also named Hastings. Our school sports teams were called the Saxons. Which I always thought it a bit strange that we were named after the losing side, but I guess Hastings Normans doesn't have the same ring. :thup:

I have, actually.

Went there because I grew up in a town also named Hastings. Our school sports teams were called the Saxons. Which I always thought it a bit strange that we were named after the losing side, but I guess Hastings Normans doesn't have the same ring. :thup:

Never thought anybody on here would have actually visited! What was your experience like? Did you stay around for long or just a short trip?

I have, actually.

I like this post :thup:

Season One - August Update - 2011/12

Woking 1-1 Hastings

Took the lead in the 61st minute Akinbiyi toepoking home from a Warner cross. Woking equalised in the 80th minute after a scramble in the box from a corner. Match stats show they dominated shots, whilst I had more than my fair share of possession. Was very happy with the result.

Hastings 0-3 Sutton Utd

Never really got going in this game and when they scored in the 13th minute it was downhill from there. Players given too much time and space, etc, etc.

Welling 0-1 Hastings

A very tight game, as the score suggests, was always going to be a 1-0 or a 0-0. Thankfully we managed to win after my RB, Starkey sent a ball over the top and Subuola beat his marker and finished with aplomb.

Hastings 2-2 Chelmsford

One of those games where if you would have offered me the score before the game I would've taken it but can't help feel it's two points dropped. Nevertheless it's another point gained towards safety. We took the lead when Barnard smashed his first FK in! We were unlucky to concede our first goal after a good tackle from Starkey unfortunately acted as a through ball allowing their man to cross and it was all level. My Kiwi winger Milne found himself with time and space in the box to fire a good low cross to the back post and, I'm not sure how or why because it was only a throw in, but Barnard was at the back post to get ahead of his marker and put the ball into the empty net! Their equaliser came in the 59th minute, a header from a corner somehow ended up in an own goal from Starkey, who was marking the back post.

Staines 1-2 Hastings

Another very tight game which I thought we had lost when they scored just before half time. I altered our tactics and it seemed to work. From a long ball to our defence McDonald kneed the ball to Akinbiyi, who layed the ball off to Noel, who played a brilliant through ball, knowing that Akinbiyi would indeed hit his shot straight at the keeper and Noel put the ball in the empty net. An attacking corner was cleared and Nikolas was just ahead of the halfway line, he found a bit of space passed the ball to Warner in the box, who turned and fired home to turn the game on it's head and hand us the lead. Ujah was sent off in the 84th minute but we hung on comfortably in the end.

Month's Summary

Brilliant month. After 5 games we've got 8 points and sit pretty in 7th. Long may it continue!

Top Goalscorers

1- Barnard(LB) 2

2= Subuola(ST)1

2= Noel(ST) 12= Akinbiyi(ST) 1

Top Assisters

1- Nikolas(CM) 2

2= Milne(RM) 1

2= Warner(LM) 1

2= Starkey(RB) 1

2= Akinbiyi(ST) 1

High Avg Rating

1- Barnard(LB) 7.45

2- Nikolas(CM) 6.98

3- Said(DMC) 6.95

1) Darren Barnard to score a fair amount of set pieces and get a decent amount of assists too! 0 goals, 1 assist.

2) Ade Akinbiyi to live up to his name and score at a ratio of less than 1 in 3. 1 goal in 4 games. Good old Ade.

3) Alexis Nikolas to be voted player of the season. 2nd highest avg rating.

Season One - September Update - 2011/12

Hastings 0-1 Eastleigh

A really poor match, in which we dominated possession but neither side had that cutting edge. They missed a penalty in the 77th minute but a minute later they grabbed the winner.

Ebbsfleet 2-1 Hastings

Went 1-0 down on 40 minutes when Barnard was fouled in our area, and they had an easy chance to score. Noel levelled the game in the 48th minute after earning the penalty. Starkey was sent off in the 74th minute as he was the last man. They scored in the 81st minute, to be fair they used the man advantage well and there was no way back.

Hastings 2-0 Salisbury

Going into this game on the back of 2 defeats in a row, playing on a Tuesday after having lost on the Saturday against the team who were top of the league, I wasn't confident at all. Barnard whipped in a brilliant cross on 28 minutes and Subuola headed home. Jolly won a penalty on the 49th minute after hassling their centre half (I changed OIs to close down the centre halves). There was a hint of suspicion as the commentary said Jolly appeared to dive! Barnard tucked home the penalty.

Sutton Utd 3-1 Hastings (FA Cup)

After 16 minutes we were 2 down and although Subuola scored after some good work from Ricketts early in the second half, they restored their 2 goal lead in the 68th minute and we didn't have answers unfortunately.

Month's Summary

Disappointing month, although the Salisbury result really did make up for it.

[League Table]

September

Top Goalscorers

1- Subuola(ST) 2

2= Barnard(LB) 1

2= Noel(ST) 1

Top Assisters

1= Barnard(LB) 1

1= Ricketts(ST) 1

1= Jolly(ST) 1

Current Season

Top Goalscorers

1= Barnard(LB) 3

1= Subuola(ST) 3

3- Noel(ST) 2

4- Akinbiyi(ST) 1

Top Assisters

1- Nikolas(CM) 2

2= Milne(RM) 1

2= Warner(LM) 1

2= Starkey(RB) 1

2= Akinbiyi(ST) 1

2= Barnard(LB) 1

2= Ricketts(ST) 1

2= Jolly(ST) 1

High Avg Rating

1- Barnard(LB) 7.30

2- Freeman(RB) 7.20

3- Subuola(ST) 6.97

1) Darren Barnard to score a fair amount of set pieces and get a decent amount of assists too! 3 goals(1pen, 1FK) & 1 assist.

2) Ade Akinbiyi to live up to his name and score at a ratio of less than 1 in 3. 1 goal in 5 games. Keep the faith.

3) Alexis Nikolas to be voted player of the season. 4th highest avg rating.

Season One - October Update - 2011/12

Maidenhead 2-0 Hastings

They scored in the 1st minute and we never really threatened from there. New pacey striker sent off middle of second half. Oh dear.

Hastings 1-2 Hampton & Richmond

Subuola put us one up. They equalised in the first half with a long range effort. Was a quality strike to be fair. Then when we were pushing for the winner they hit us on the counter-attack and we didn't look like scoring after that. Sickening.

Hastings 2-1 Bishop's Stortford

Two first half goals from Noel were enough to beat a team in a similiar position to us. They got one back in the second half but we were solid in seeing out the game.

Thurrock 4-1 Hastings

Gary Noel put us one up on 11 minutes but they responded immediately and it was 3-1 by half time. They scored another in the second half to complete the pasting.

Month's Summary

Disappointing month again, we're sitting in a nice position in mid table but we're only 3 points clear of relegation. Really need to pick up these results and performances and string together a few wins and draws. To finish on a positive, Noel & Subuola seem to play well together as part of a big man/small man combo.

bluesquarebetsouthinfor.th.png

October

Top Goalscorers

1- Noel(ST) 3

2- Subuola(ST) 1

Top Assisters

1= Milne(RM) 1

1= Subuola(ST) 1

1= Nikolas(CM) 1

1= Noel(ST) 1

Current Season

Top Goalscorers

1- Noel(ST) 5

2- Subuola(ST) 4

3- Barnard(LB) 3

4- Akinbiyi(ST) 1

Top Assisters

1- Nikolas(CM) 3

2= Milne(RM) 2

3= Warner(LM) 1

3= Starkey(RB) 1

3= Akinbiyi(ST) 1

3= Barnard(LB) 1

3= Ricketts(ST) 1

3= Jolly(ST) 1

3= Subuola(ST) 1

3= Noel(ST) 1

High Avg Rating

1- Noel(ST) 7.19

2- Milne(RM) 6.99

3- Nikolas(CM) 6.96

1) Darren Barnard to score a fair amount of set pieces and get a decent amount of assists too! 3 goals(1pen, 1FK) & 1 assist.

2) Ade Akinbiyi to live up to his name and score at a ratio of less than 1 in 3. 1 goal in 5 games. Hasn't played this month.

3) Alexis Nikolas to be voted player of the season. 3rd highest avg rating.

An average start, hopefully it gets better when your team gels a bit more.

If it's not too much trouble could you tell me who scored in the Hampton & Richmond match against you.

Yussuf & Hodges. Beat em 2-0 in the return game.

I'm gonna update every season as can't be bothered to do monthlys, takes too long.

With 6 games left, we had Weston-super-Mare at home who were 7th but I've won my last 3 home games so pre-match I'm confident we can get the win:

hastingsutdvwestonsuper.png

A massive win, in a game which we dominated. Had a couple of goals ruled out for a foul and offside too. This left the league looking like this:

bluesquarebetsouthinfor0.png

Unfortunately Thurrock and Woking won! So with 5 games left that leaves us, Woking and Thurrock all trying to avoid that last relegation spot.

Our last 5 fixtures are 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 13th.

Woking last 5 are 1st, 3rd, 4th, 16th, 21st

Thurrock last 5 are 5th, 7th, 9th, 15th, 17th

With 4 games left we had a decent Dover side but we were at home, where we're really strong at the moment:

hastingsutdvdoverinform.png

We looked really good and maybe should have created more but 3 points is 3 points.

Unfortunately, Thurrock and Woking both won! Time is running out:

bluesquarebetsouthinfor.png

As you can see it's a 2 horse race now. Me v Thurrock.

Fixtures remaining are:

Hastings:

15th Kingstonian Away

7th Basingstoke Home

10th Bath Away

Thurrock:

6th Weston-super-Mare Away

5th Braintree Home

9th Dover Away

I've definitely got the easier run in but Thurrock have 7 points from their last 3. We've won our last 5 home games but unfortunately have lost 3 out of 4 away.

Where's your money?!

im waiting lol haha hurry up update thnks

I thought I'd leave it for today because of The Ashes and starting a new Wales Level 5 save. Update to come today.

Mostly in my bank account.

This is true!

My money is on Welling to go down.

What?? :D

Here's wishing you good luck on the run in!!!!!!

I've also got a cheeky fiver on Welling to go down. Cheers, I think we're gonna need it!

In our second to last game we faced Basingstoke who were, and still are, chasing a playoff place:

hastingsutdvbasingstoke.png

Disappointing time to concede, we never really carved any chances out either.

Fortunately, Braintree beat Thurrock by the same scoreline:

bluesquarebetsouthinfor.png

It's all down to the last game of the season. We've got Bath. Thurrock have Dover. It could hardly be tighter!

We needed to match or better Thurrock's result to ensure safety, although a few other permutations could still keep us up:

bathvhastingsutdinforma.png

Comprehensively outplayed!

bluesquarebetsouthinfora.png

So were Thurrock! Dover missed a penalty when they were 1-0 up, too! By then I was 2-0 down so if Thurrock equalised I would've been in trouble. Luckily they held strong and finished it off late on! Season update to come.

Squeaky bum there at the end. :thup:
Hehehe, bet you were squirming away there!!

Congrats on staying up!

Yeah, was proper tight, wasn't comfortable at all! Spent more time watching the latest scores and league table then my own game!

Congratz on staying up, looked very tense in the last few games there

Cheers, yeah was so frustrating wanting to pick up more points, luckily Thurrock did even worse than me. I got 1 point from 3 games, Thurrock got 0 from their last 3. They blew it, should've capitalised on my poor form but didn't and paid the penalty! Got some very exciting youth prospects come through; screenshot to come shortly.

I agree. Any advice? Bring him on as sub now and then?

I'm not sure what the rest of your team is like but from what I remember managing at this level he looks good enough for a starting place in a BSS side, especially as you only just avoided relegation last season. I would say give him a starting place to start off with and if he doesn't perform too well then put him on the bench as backup.

What do the coach reports say about him?

At the start of the new season, just gonna post the end of season update. Something worth noting is our 16 different nationalities in our squad this year. Hmm.

I'm not sure what the rest of your team is like but from what I remember managing at this level he looks good enough for a starting place in a BSS side, especially as you only just avoided relegation last season. I would say give him a starting place to start off with and if he doesn't perform too well then put him on the bench as backup.

What do the coach reports say about him?

stevehenryreportscoachr.png

Archived