[FM11] The Mariners Give Youth a Chance

LUFCspeni

Marine_F.C.logo.png

Intro

This is to be (hopefully) a long career, and hopefully completing two challenges. These are Dafuge's Fm11 Challenge and The Give Youth a Chance Challenge.

This means that the game starts at the start of the 2011-2012 season, and I cannot sign players, only use youth.

History

The club celebrated its centenary in 1994 having been formed by a group of local businessmen and former college students taking its name from the hotel on the River Mersey sea front at Waterloo, seven miles to the north of Liverpool where the founders met. They moved to their present ground The Arriva Stadium (formerly known as Rossett Park) in 1903.

Marine quickly made an impression on local football, winning numerous titles in the Zingari League and the Liverpool Combination. Their greatest success as an amateur team in this period culminated in an F.A. Amateur Cup Final appearance in 1931-32, when they lost 7-1 to Dulwich Hamlet in front of a 22,000 crowd at West Ham United. In 1946 they went close again by reaching the semi-final.

The Club relinquished its amateur status and became professional in 1974. Three Cheshire League Championships were won in five seasons before progressing to the Northern Premier League in 1979-80. They have twice been Champions (1993-94 and 1994-95) as well as twice being runners-up and have won the League Cup on three occasions (1984-85, 1991-92, and 2002-03).

The best performance in the FA Cup was reaching the 3rd Round in 1992-93 when they lost 3-1 to Crewe Alexandra. Marine have also achieved ten first and two second round appearances in the FA Cup and have beaten two Football League Clubs (Barnsley and Halifax Town) in the competition. Marine have twice reached the semi-finals of the F.A. Trophy in 1983-84 and 1991-92 and have been winners of 13 senior county cups.

Recent

Under the management team of Alvin McDonald and his assistant, Peter Carroll, Marine begun to challenge for honours again. In the first two years of Macdonalds management, the Mariners qualified for the UniBond Premier play-offs only to lose to the eventual winners on both occasions. In the season 07/08, Marine finished seventh and won the Liverpool Senior Cup.

In 08/09, Marine started brilliantly, looking to be strong challengers for promotion come the end of the season. However, this run came to an end around December, and eventually led to the departure of several players and, ultimately, their manager Alvin McDonald. Kevin Lynch, club captain, and Phil Brazier, both players at Marine, were given the job of joint caretaker managers. After the end of the season, Lynch was appointed as permanent manager with Brazier as his assistant. Marine finished the 2008/09 season in thirteenth place.

(Shamefully copied from Wiki

I intend to do a pre season update, January 1st update and end of season update every year. I will be giving screens of my players, so keep a look out for that. This is my first time posting on the careers forum, so i hope you can go easy on me, and follow my story.

marine.jpg

_47209997_-12.jpg

Pre Season 2011-2012

Looking through our squad, I can see that we will struggle to stay in this division. We havea decent enough keeper, a bad defence, poor midfield but decentish strikers. It will be up to our two strikers to fire us to midtable. We will concede lots of goals, but hopefully we can score more.

Seasonal Aims

• Steer clear of relegation.
  • Bring through at least one youth player to the first team.

Youth Players

This season I have identified three youth players who I feel could come through to the first team in time. The only one I am confident will is this guy.

Ashley Lorde

Ashley is a decent player, probably our fourth choice centre back, but I am looking to him to fill the gap in years to come, as he is only 16, and will improve. Our Assistant Manager is 3rd choice centre back, but will be retiring after this season, so Ashley could make that place his. He hasn't the greatest stats, but has them in the right places.

I have a decent enough first team keeper, but if he doesn't produce the goods, this next guy could lay claim to his position.

Andy Barnett

He isn't the most stunning keeper, and I doubt he will ever be good enough for the first team, but he could become a good backup keeper. He will get his chances in cup games.

This next guy has decent stats, but not in the right places.

Philip Keown

Looking at his stats, he is fast with decent dribbling and crossing. I am toying with the idea of training him as a winger, because of his low finishing stats. Currently i have him training on his finishing, so I will see how that goes.

I am going to be playing a 4-5-1 away from home, with a 4-4-2 at home. Nothing too extravagant, not with this team. Bring on the season, and lets hope the mighty Mariners stay up!

keep Keown is a quick striker just make sure he doesn't take long shots ;)

Flamers

Saying he is quick gave me an idea to set him as a target man and run onto ball, it worked, he bagged his first 2 stunning Wrexham and getting us only our second win of the season, and being the youngest ever BSN scorer.

marine.jpg

_47209997_-12.jpg

Blue Square Bet North

Post Season 2011-2012

Final League Position: 13th

League Table

Seasonal Aims

• Steer clear of relegation. Check
  • Bring through at least one youth player to the first team. Check

Season Review

It is fair to say we had a very bumpy ride to safety. We were in the bottom three for most of the season, as shown here. At the end of the season, for some reason we just clicked and went on a good run. Without that, I could have been out of a job, and starting the challenge again. At Christmas we found ourselves rooted to the foot of the table, with no hope of getting out. That is when I ran out of options, then had the brainwave to play my fastest player up front one his own, then play a long ball over the defence. Its safe to say it worked a dream, as my youth player Philip Keown couldn't stop scoring. In the end, our position looked even more comfortable than it actually was. Next season we really need to push on and finish within touching distance of the playoffs with a bit of luck, but realistically improve on this years finish. I think the only reason we stayed up this year was an amazing run of 7 unbeaten, including 5 wins, the best wins being consecutive wins, 7-0 and 4-0, against Hinkley and Altrincham respectively.

Key Players

Philip Keown

Our topscorer, was sublime when called upon. More info below.

Andy Barnett

A good keeper on his day, kept us in many a game.

Dean Hussey

Our other attacking midfielder, scored some real screamers, will be looking at him as the main creative outlet next year, after finally finding a role for him to use his talents.

Youth Players

Ashley Lord

Started the season very well, and looked like he was going to cement a first team place at the heart of the defence. Unfortunately for him, his performances started to drop and I turned to my ass man Brazier to steady the ship, and he played better than Ashley. Since then, he has fallen out of favour, but has still played when injuries and suspensions let him, but that mainly meant he wasn't playing in a settled defence, not helping his performances. I am still unsure of his best position yet, be it left back or centre back. Hope he can replicate his early season form next season.

Andy Barnett

He didn't get a sniff of the number one jersey until around January time, when cup games started coming thick and fast. He played well when he had his chance, and since our keeper was leaking goals, I thought, why not? and played him. He has not disappointed. As you can see, his stats have been rocketing up, and is know considered the best keeper at the club, in his debut year! He could become a Marine legend, and a player I can see playing his whole career for us, and hopefully playing most of the games as we go up the leagues. Looking at his growth, I can see him being first choice until we reach the Championship, then I will hopefully have a better keeper to take over.

Philip Keown

Wow. That is all I can say for this kid. His stats have gone up, but not amazingly at the moment. His goalscoring record speaks for itself, to score that many goals in his first year of professional football is some achievement. Who knows how far the kid can go? One thing is for sure, playing up front on his own, he has to keep bagging the goals for us if we are to keep progressing. He ended up 2nd top goalscorer in the league, not bad kid.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12   Blue Square North        13th         Avoided Relegation

Up the Mariners! :D

This is more like the team I know is somewhere here. After 8 games we sit 9th on 13 points, 2 points off the playoffs. Keown has 6 from 8, my new youth player to be revealed has 3 from 7 from centre midfield, my youth keeper is playing well, its looking up for us know :)

Only problem is that Strickland, our best CB, wants to move, so I told him hes gone after the season, which he seemed happy with, so hopefully we will be able to cope without him next year.

Archived