[FM11] Messi? Nah...

SnakeXe

I was going to make a thread but just have much time to be typing up season updates and so forth. Like you I have a save in Italy (just started it) currently in charge of Pro vercelli.

You'll be pleased to see they made Serie A last season - but less pleased to see them relegated at the first attempt :p

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 22: Winter Break Update

The season started, as always, with the Supercoppa. This year it was a novelty as we qualified as Coppa Italia winners rather than Serie A Champions, but hey ho! Inter were the opposition, who had done the double over us last year as they won the league, so a spot of revenge was certainly in order. Walter Gonzalez delivered it with the only goal of the game!

Next up was the European Super Cup, which we lost to Liverpool last year in slightly embarrassing fashion. This year the opposition took the slightly less intimidating form of Rangers, so I was quietly confident. We didn't play that well, and though we probably should have won it in normal time, Rangers took us to extra time, Dickson cancelling out Arguelles' penalty. Gers missed all their penalties, and we only missed one of ours, so we took home our second trophy in two games - hooray!

League form started relatively slowly, with 3 wins and 3 draws in the first six, before we hit a really patchy run of 3 losses in 4 - against less than stellar teams for the most part as well. We closed out the year with six successive wins to bring things back on track, though, so hopefully we can continue that in 2033. Wow, I think this is my shortest summary of a half-league campaign ever!

We ruined the alliteration in a group of Schalke, Sevilla and Standard, and things started well enough with a 5-0 humping of Schalke in Germany. Standard and Sevilla bit the dust too, before a draw at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan secured qualification. I sent out the backups for the next couple, giving game time to the likes of Fernando and Lala, and was rewarded with a draw and loss, just scraping the group win over Sevilla in the end. Slightly interesting opposition in the next round for once - Dinamo Moscow.

Finally, the Club World Championship stole us off to Qatar for a couple of jollies against rubbish sides from other confederations. We put 4 each past home side Al-Gharrafa and River Plate to waltz off with the trophy for the third successive year.

The Good

• We're still on to win every trophy
  • Marquinhos Parana looks excellent
  • Igor Mikhailov has been far more effective (if still a little frustrating)

The Bad

• The early season form
  • Relatively poor Champions League performance
  • Awful defense at times

Results 1 - Results 2 - League Table - Squad

I hope I can take them to the top flight, can't figure what tactic to use or who to sign have no experiance with italian lower league teams or players.

My approach with all lower-league sides is to make things nice and simple - rigid and direct. As for shapes, the 4-3-1-2 is quintessentially Italian, and makes you hard to beat, whilst 4-4-2 is a classic for a reason. I wouldn't go 4-5-1 unless you have a particularly excellent lone striker. A lot of people here seem to like 3 at the back as well, but I haven't played around with it much myself.

Rely on your scouts and coach recommendations for players, bringing guys in on trial is always useful if your scout hasn't given you a full report.

Kept quite a few players - had some very nice ones like Innocenti and Di Napoli at the club already, but also made some key signings, like Vigorito and Artistico. Here are the screenshots from the first season if you want to take a closer look: Squad/Transfers

Plenty of loan signings I see :D

I'm guessing most of the outs were the reserves and youth team? Thanks very much, I'm trying to get going in the Italian league, but I didn't really know how to get started transfer-wise :D

3-5-2, it's the way forward...

Wouldn't mind giving the Bielsa 3-3-1-3 a go...

Plenty of loan signings I see :D

I'm guessing most of the outs were the reserves and youth team? Thanks very much, I'm trying to get going in the Italian league, but I didn't really know how to get started transfer-wise :D

The loan signings were basically just to plug gaps in the squad, don't think they were key at all. Yeah I think most of them were fringe and youths on the out.

As for shapes, the 4-3-1-2 is quintessentially Italian, and makes you hard to beat,

Yeah, I recommend playing 4-3-1-2 or the diamond in Italy. :thup:

....whilst 4-4-2 is a classic for a reason.

Do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

I wouldn't go 4-5-1 unless you have a particularly excellent lone striker.

I used to play often with a lone striker but I've totally gone off it lately. I prefer to play with two forwards these days.

A lot of people here seem to like 3 at the back as well, but I haven't played around with it much myself.

Not a fan at all here because of the bug with the wide players. Otherwise 3-4-1-2 would be a formation I would consider, as it's also quite an Italian system really.

Do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

Good way :) I've always been a fan of it - 2 strikers, 2 wingers, good balanced formation that can produce excellent football.

Not a fan at all here because of the bug with the wide players. Otherwise 3-4-1-2 would be a formation I would consider, as it's also quite an Italian system really.

What bug is that? 3-4-1-2/3-4-2-1 are both lovely to watch - Napoli are using the latter this season very effectively. It's a shame they can't seem to turn up against the top 6 else they'd be title contenders.

Crouchy I have got it half working, in attack mine play like a 3-5-2 with attacking wingers.

In defence they play like wing backs, playing just in front of my back 3

I'll try and get some screens for you :)

Attacking: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/flamers1500/FM11/512.jpg

Defending: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/flamers1500/FM11/513.jpg

Seems to work well

Ahh I see, yeah I've noticed that in my games against 3 at the back. They do however get stunning amounts of men behind the ball, every game is just a war of attrition trying to force a shot through the massed wall of defenders 12 yards from goal.

You can just bring in swathes and swathes of trial players, but it's so time-consuming and you won't find many players you wouldn't have found ones who are just as good as.

Keep looking at the recommendations throughout the season, you can often find a very good player who hasn't found a club and who will then stoop to your level by that stage just to get some football :p

Blue_Magic, I received a PM from you but I cannot respond because the forum says 'Blue_magic has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.'

Stupid forum. You'd think that it would at least tell a user when their message box is full. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought I would post my response here (I hope SnakeXe doesn't mind) seeing as it is the last place that you posted and you're likely to check here.

If I'm honest Blue_magic, I advise that less is more. That's my opinion. I customised my database for the St. Albans City save, as you can see in my OP, but I regretted it when I got 20 years in as I know it would run much faster had I only selected 'medium' database!

I don't think I got much benefit from loading extra players. I guess Europe has been more challenging but I don't think it has made much difference.

I'd go with your instinct but bear in mind that nothing puts you off a save more than when it runs slowly. :(

Others might have different opinions. Seeing as we're in SnakeXe's thread, perhaps he will give you his input too.

The difference between a large and medium database is negligible even at low levels to be honest, but a small is almost certainly a bad idea. For example, I started a game with Real Madrid to mess around with some tactical ideas (so just went for a small database) and went to look for the Portuguese wingback Fabio Coentrao - fairly famous player now, capped for Portugal, big part of Benfica's recent success. Was he in the game? No.

so do you think it is worth loading players from top clubs because that impacts the game speed star massively so does loading all players base in a nation!

what's your set-up flamers & snake?

Crouch I was reading your set-up you have a large database and retained players to be fair I was confused.

Crouch I was reading your set-up you have a large database and retained players to be fair I was confused.

If I could go back now, I would have either just gone with 'large' or maybe even 'medium'. I would have loaded all players based in England though in order to get the Non-League teams with players in the non-playable leagues. That's only because I love that part of the game though (i.e. when playing as a Non-League team) and I get a bit of a kick out of buying an obscure striker from Hitchin Town that I've seen play, or something like that! *Football nerd alert!*

It all depends on how quick your computer is and how you like your saves to progress in terms of speed. I like my saves at a good pace. Also, my computer is rubbish and I wouldn't bother going above 24,000 players.

It's really a matter of opinion but, for me, I'd be looking at going for less in order to have a game with a good pace. On FM07, I had another long-term save with St. Albans City. I choose a medium database for that one, as I had no idea about any other options a that time. The save was fine, plenty of players, played out at a good pace. Just goes to show that we can over think these things.

I think the only reason to customised really is if you have specific intentions (e.g. you want to manage a specific national team or buy players from a specific country). You might love the idea of bringing in lots of South Americans or something, I don't know, or making sure that you have a lot of competition in Europe if that's your favourite part of the game and you want it to be more difficult. The other main reason would be if you have a super computer, I guess, but then I would suggest just loading more leagues!

P.S. Flamers is just a show off. :p

Trust me, I am regretting it now... I can't wait to build my desktop....

I have quite a lot of patience which helps me, I find that being able to talk to people helps. I am often in Skype with the girlfriend which playing or talking on Steam to Snakexe or hrbfcrules :)

Yeah, more or less, apart from a bit more speed! But then you've got a better processor than I have so you'll probably be fine. :thup:

Yeah hope so, gonna have 2 saves going one with just Italy and the other with a few other leagues :)

Anyway snake will give you your thread back :)

How do you add people on steam?

Archived