The Nostalgia Thread - Talking About Old FMs!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to recreate the Diablo tactic that I remember much fuss was made about. I never used it back in the day, so I wasn't sure how to get it working, but I'm pretty sure it was this 4-1-3-2 shape with a long arrow on the MC.

diablo.jpg

I didn't have any success at all in getting the 'Diablo' working in a quick test match I played but maybe I was doing it wrong! :D

I was going to save this for later but I also had CM01/02 out last night for a look. I've got some screenshots from that version as well.

It strikes me that there was a major revamp between CM01/02 and CM4 (plus CM03/04). Things changed pretty massively and the game we know today is more clearly related to CM03/04 than CM01/02. The FM series is very much the child of CM03/04, while CM01/02 feels like a whole different branch of the family in some ways to be honest.

CM01/02 is very basic indeed and extremely quick to play. It lacks any real depth but then I suppose it was very popular because it was so easy to get through the seasons.

Some screenshots coming up.......

Once again, CM01/02 only goes down to the Conference and you have to pick a club to start with.

CM01/02 is probably most famous for the with ball/without ball screens, which were loved by some and disliked by others. I was never really a fan and looking back now, I'm glad they are a thing of the past.

wibblewobble.jpg

I found one tiny thing that I miss from the CM series.

We used to get three players in the squad with stars alongside their name to indicate that they were star players, as in the following example:

Stars.jpg

For some reason, I used to like that and I really miss it now looking back. A nice little touch. :)

Cheers. Del Piero the top player in the world? Not surprised about Rooney. Just a good reminder of how rated Saviola was in those earlier iterations. As for Morgan he was a beast whenever he recovered from that dodgy knee.

Champ 4/03/04 was the first one I bought for myself. My mate had 02/03 which I'd played but this is the one for me. It was particularly my fave as Dagenham were in the lowest division but goodish so I could take them to the top. Peter Weatherson took us from the Conference to the 1st division and it had my most favourite regen in Mario Zanotti a San Marino right back. Also with Charlton in the Prem I could have two different types of games. If memory serves Parker, Jensen and Euell were the Addicks star players. Great memories.

On a different note whatever happened to Supat?

I found one tiny thing that I miss from the CM series.

We used to get three players in the squad with stars alongside their name to indicate that they were star players, as in the following example:

Stars.jpg

For some reason, I used to like that and I really miss it now looking back. A nice little touch. :)

The feature is clearly bugged. Emile Heskey?

So far, I've done CM01/02, CM03/04, FM05 and FM08 (but I didn't put any screenshots up for 08).

I've sort of also done FM07 and also CM2 (96/97 updates version), as I reinstalled both of these recently in a burst of sudden nostalgia (but that was prior to this thread). However, I no longer have either installed.

I must say, one thing I do like about the early versions is the way you can easily pick up and play them.

Sometimes I've felt, with the latter versions of FM, that I simply can't get myself motivated to play on occasion. For instance, I'll be tired after a day of work or whatever, and I'll realise that I just do not feel like an FM session to relax. It's not something I can just pick up and play like that. I have to be in the right mood with plenty of time set aside and it never used to be like that. Something lost but also, I suppose, something gained.

I must say, one thing I do like about the early versions is the way you can easily pick up and play them.

Sometimes I've felt, with the latter versions of FM, that I simply can't get myself motivated to play on occasion. For instance, I'll be tired after a day of work or whatever, and I'll realise that I just do not feel like an FM session to relax. It's not something I can just pick up and play like that. I have to be in the right mood with plenty of time set aside and it never used to be like that. Something lost but also, I suppose, something gained.

That's the main reason why I might not get FM11. I don't have as much time on my hands nowadays and I'd rather be able to pick the game up and just play a few matches, save then switch it off. There's just too much to do and take in on FM11 making it harder to have a quick 15 minute session here and there.

fantastic thread, really enjoyed reading all the posts.

My first experience of fm was seeing my friends play cm 97/98, never really got to play that much on that version due to him being a bit of a selfish ****, I havent seen him for years! Anyway decided to buy 99/00, unbelievable version. I was always newcastle, my memories are buying robbie keane for 9m from wolves and playing him in a 433 with shearer and sharbel touma - who was incredible!! Also Matias asper in goal, there was a period of about 4 versions of fm where scandinavia was a serious hotbed for talent that let you dominate the game.

Played fm ever since, other memories have escaped me, but a few that remain, can someone please tell me which version romano denoboon and jesper hakanson from the dutch league were unstoppable? think it was cm01/02, but jesper hakanson i think would be my favourite striker on the game.

I never got into fm 2010, and i dont know why, i really struggle to see why people think its the best one ever. What makes it worse is that i havent had a long term game 10 or more seasons for a couple of versions now, and it is really annoying me, killing me in fact. I love the game more than ever but i cant transfer that into longevity, frustration is an understatement!!!!!

HELP!

Love all the posts in this thread, thank you

I had Championship Manager Italia on my Amiga, and played that endlessly, then I got given a copy of the English version and have been addicted ever since! Most memorable saved game for me was my Leicester team on 97/98 I think it was where they just beat anyone and everyone, cannot remember too much about the save other then I had a regen called Sol Bibbo who was a left back yet scored pretty much EVERY game. He took free kicks, corners, penalties and was simply amazing, his stats were awesome too. Then my old PC died, and I sadly lost the saved game and moved on to a new game...

Looking forward to FM11 now though! Cannot wait to get a long save going in that...

That's the main reason why I might not get FM11. I don't have as much time on my hands nowadays and I'd rather be able to pick the game up and just play a few matches, save then switch it off. There's just too much to do and take in on FM11 making it harder to have a quick 15 minute session here and there.

I agree with you, plus the side of fun for me is important to also have a relaxing game.

I never got into fm 2010, and i dont know why, i really struggle to see why people think its the best one ever. What makes it worse is that i havent had a long term game 10 or more seasons for a couple of versions now, and it is really annoying me, killing me in fact. I love the game more than ever but i cant transfer that into longevity, frustration is an understatement!!!!!

I think the newer versions are just too in depth. It takes me weeks to play a season, whereas in the old versions I could play a season in a day. I really don't know how people have long careers in the new versions... if I make it to year three, that's an epic career :D

I been playing Champ manager 01/02 with 2010 Season Update.

It take 2 and half hours a season unlike football manager 2010 or 2011 which take about 3 day just for one season!

I was manager of Barnsley for past 4 Season and my record was very good due building new team.

2004/5 6TH Premier League

2003/4 8TH Premier League

2002/3 9TH Premier League

2001/2 4TH Championship League (Won the Play off final)

I have resign manager of barnsley due very bad start that we havnt won for last 5 games and I knew that I took my team as far as i could as I need fresh Challange to take on little bigger club than Barnsley :)

When I first took over Ipswich as I didnt know they were bottom of championship....so it was challange for me take the club out of it but got relegated by 2 points behide :(

So I rebuild my team ready for league 2 and sign 6 players. My team storm to win the League one by 107 Points!

Now I am looking forward to tough Championship league and sign 11 Players. My team came 2ND in the league of 96 Points :) I also won the FA CUP by Luck beating Everton 2-1 and we in UEFA CUP! :)

Now the premier league and UEFA Cup is things that I want to win!

So I have sign 11 Players again but some of them are World class players that I have sign such as Emmanuel Adebayor, J Reina, D Bentley, S Mbia, A poli). It was important to have big Squad to cope with Premier league, League cup, Fa cup and UEFA CUP!

Nearly the Season was about finished (it was 33 games and 5 games left) and out of the blue...Man City offer me a job and Tranfer funds looking very good but I want to finish off to help IPSWICH to win the Premier league and UEFA CUP....so I have Turn down offer from Man City as I want help good old little Ipswich and put myself along side the Legend of Bobby Robson! :)

My Team have won the Premier league due on GOAL DIFFERENT plus we also won the UEFA CUP by beating Valencia on PEN...

What a AMAZING SEASON EH?

I have sign 4 new players ready for next season to win the Premier League again and have real good go at Champ League :)

Here the players that I have sign are

Carlos Tevez (His age is 34 but I am Big fan of him...He is workhorse player)

Nikola Kalinic (He got good Scoring records in the game!)

Kyrylo Petrov (He is excellent on defence and midfield....it is better to have player who can play more than one positions!)

James Milner (His age is 32 in the game but he can play any position in Midfield...Nice!)

Ready to rock for next Season :)

I loved the early CMs, played 99-00 for years.

CM4 was a major disappointment, and a low in the series really. I can still remember the forums back then... it was completely rushed, had patch after patch after patch, and those were patches with 30+ bugfixes each, most of them pretty game braking (pace / physical skills owning everything , newgens being terrible, no more fixtures after 1 season, some leagues just crashing, ...).

Once they then build on it, and turned it into the FM franchise, the game has been gradually improving imho. But because changes are so gradual, I cannot really tell versions apart anymore. I think I would still like the old CM 99-00 should I play it again, although I would miss some of the depth (especially towards youth players) that FM has now.

Bought every version of the series but have never really got into the games since they became Football Manager. I always end up with issues and waiting for the second patch. Also my imagination isn't the same as when I was growing up and I have less time. I do however go into every version with the intention to play it like I used to. Not sure I have won a trophy since the first Football Manager was released and possibly not finished a season. Loved the old Championship Manager games and the 1-4-5 formation that used to bring so much success.

I WILL PLAY FM11.

I hope.

Archived