Group A - France V South Africa - ITV 1 - KO 15:00

Djstu23

According to L'Equipe (French sports newspaper) Domenech did not shake Parreira's hand because of what he said when France qualified for the WC. Something along the lines of "France shouldn't be there, Henry cheated".
Haha, well done Parreira. :D

Get it right up you, France.

I think both of them were wrong, Parreira didn't have to wind them up this way, and Domenech should have been polite enough to forget that once the game was over.

And who knows if France wouldn't have qualified anyway regardless of that incident.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, that's something we always forget, that France were still possible/probably qualifiers even if they hadn't scored the goal.

Still, their actions were abhorrent and make them a fair target for criticism, in my opinion.

But if Parreira made that comment when France actually qualified.. wasn't that almost a year ago?

Just don't think it's healthy to be still bitter about that(which is the truth anyway).. so many coaches have war of words and they still shake hands at the end of a game.. it's more the gesture than anything.

I think both of them were wrong, Parreira didn't have to wind them up this way, and Domenech should have been polite enough to forget that once the game was over.

And who knows if France wouldn't have qualified anyway regardless of that incident.

In his defense I think Parreira was just responding to a journalist's question. What was he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, it's great to have France in the WC, who cares how they qualified."

In his defense I think Parreira was just responding to a journalist's question. What was he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, it's great to have France in the WC, who cares how they qualified."

No need to say "it's great to have France in the WC", but he could have avoided the question by saying something in the lines of "my job is to worry about South Africa, not about how the other teams reached here".

Archived