The Hibs & Romanov thread 06/07

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdamJH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

He turned down Boro...I'd be surprised if he joins that diddy, ***** club in Birmingham. Seriously, WBA ffs? What a ****ing joke. The club is a joke.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh, calm down? icon_biggrin.gif

I would love him to join. BBC local news were basically naming him as the new manager but no other sites are carrying the story, not even the BBC's national site </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just quite peeved at the fact that names like Tony Mowbray et al are getting touted round the shitheap that is West Brom whilst Leeds have to put up with Glenn Hoddle and Dennis ****ing Wise.

Stay at Hibs or go to Leeds...please icon_frown.gif

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your problem with west brom, there a quality team and there squad is miles better than leeds, i for one would love for Mowbray to become our new manager and get us back where we belong, in the premiership. Why wouldn't he want to come to west brom???

He was one of the favourites in the running for the Middlesboro job. He turned down the Ipswitch job.

Think we all expected him to get closer to Boro than Ipswitch and I don't think he's done that.

If he goes of course.

Also I wouldn't say there is too much between us and you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dlnwba86:

What's your problem with west brom, there a quality team and there squad is miles better than leeds, i for one would love for Mowbray to become our new manager and get us back where we belong, in the premiership. Why wouldn't he want to come to west brom??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because he has a job to do here. Because the timing is wrong. Because he was players he wants to keep working with. Because he's had 2 years of taking us round shitty public parks and he wants to experience the training centre HE pushed for.

Lots of reasons to go to West Brom, but it's blinkered to suggest there's not a lot keeping him here.

Hopefully.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dlnwba86:

What's your problem with west brom, there a quality team and there squad is miles better than leeds, i for one would love for Mowbray to become our new manager and get us back where we belong, in the premiership. Why wouldn't he want to come to west brom??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the pitch West Brom are better than Leeds at the moment - I agree...so does the League table.

But if he goes to the Championship he might as well go to one of the bigger clubs or else he's better off staying at Hibs where he's built a great side over the past few years.

I feel Mowbray gets a little too much credit for Hibs youngsters. Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Riordan, Caldwell? were all brought through under Williamson iirc. I seem to remember Brown scoring 4 in his first 3 games under Williamson towards the end of a season a few years ago in meaningless games

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

I feel Mowbray gets a little too much credit for Hibs youngsters. Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Riordan, Caldwell? were all brought through under Williamson iirc. I seem to remember Brown scoring 4 in his first 3 games under Williamson towards the end of a season a few years ago in meaningless games </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He had to play them. In Brown's case, him and Riordan came on against Aberdeen because Mcmanus and O'Connor (more on him later) took the huff. Brown set up all 3 and Riordan scored 2, and after the watch Blooby was all well and happy claiming they knew each other well from youth teams. Promptly for one of them, can't remember who, to say they hardly knew each other. Sums him up really, clueless.

Bobby, is, was, and always will be a ****ing balloon. For the players you mentioned....

I'll give you Brown at a push, even though his ability and character have come on leaps and bounds since TM came in.

Caldwell was already to leave the mess that was left behind when Bobby went to Plymouth before TM persuaded him to stay.

Thomson only came through at the later stages of his time here, again out of necessity.

Riordan was a shining light in a wayward team of youngsters playing totally the wrong way.

O'Connor - Bobby Williamson nearly ruined Garry O'Connor. He'd gone from an exciting young boy to a depressing, lethargic player ruined by a system where he'd have balls punted by Colin Murdock (Bobby's nadir) about 2 feet over his head. That aforementioned Aberdeen game he came off and had a fight with a supporter who'd wandered over to the press. He'd started to believe his own press and was left high and dry by **** poor man management and ***** football. Tony Mowbray's legacy will be the training centre in ideological terms, but the £1.6m that helped fund it is also down to him as well. He saved him for the scrapheap.

Whittaker - He was dropped for Alan Reid in the CIS cup final. Says it all.

The only player that really improved under Bobby was Ian Murray, and I reckon it's no coincidence that he was the least talented footballer of the lot.

Bobby for me gets far too much praise from people outside the Hibs support. A failing team stuck in the bottom 6. Awful football. Not even a decent derby record to fall back on - instead an embarrassing and humiliating one. Terrible decisions and signings. For every Jim Traynor or west coast journalist who thinks he did a good job and was usurped by this notion that he was never accepted as a Rangers man, I'd ask them to look at the night when Dunfermline knocked us out of the Scottish Cup in front of 5,000 at Easter Road. Or when Rangers and Celtic had more fans than us at home. Then consider an average attendance of 14,000 now. Tony Mowbray saved us and will be a MASSIVE loss.

What Richey said really.

I was quite happy when BW came in and although we we weren't performing brilliantly I wasn't part of the BW bashers week in week out. I had my gripes but you always do. It wasn't great football but we got some success with a league cup run beating celtic and rangers, won't ever forget that night in hampden. But we still weren't surprised to lose the final and to play as pish as we did.

I had prepared myself for a bit of pishyness because that tends to be what happens in Scotland and we'd had our fun with the Sauzee/Latapy era and were now making super big cutbacks.

And then Mowbray came in and showed just how good this team of players with potential were. O'Connor is the biggest in my mind, TM's first season and he was just a different player, an outstanding player with everything required of a striker.

The youngsters came through mainly from John Park and Donald Park. Bobby was prepared to let Whittaker & Thomson (and maybe another couple) go to ICT for next to nowt when Park was there before he was forced to play them.

Oh I remember my main gripe, he played Colin Murdock week in week out when he was the worst centre half I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt pretty much every week. (although cheers for scoring thon pen).

BW highlights - 1-0 derby after Brebner was sent off.

League cup run with Montrose 9-0, Celtic & Rangers which is actually better forgotton following the final score.

And "saving us" from potential relegation when he took over and steadied the ship. His job wasn't easy but he didn't help himself.

Mogga has been here 2 and a bit seasons and there are more highlights than I have the time to write.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

Mogga has been here 2 and a bit seasons and there are more highlights than I have the time to write. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the key for me. Ignore performances for now, just think of everything we'd failed to do for years. Over a decade without a win at Parkhead or Ibrox. 5 years at Tynie. Hell, 15 years at East End Park. We've done them all. Shame he missed out on the big one....

He won't go down in the Turnball mould because he didn't win anything, but people look too much into that. Hibs rarely sustain success over two seasons, we have done now, and he's brought us some brilliant memories. To be able to look back on last season's fixture list and see 0-3 beside Rangers. Twice. Brilliant.

Maybe you took it wrong but I'm not trying to give Williamson credit at all. Just pointing out he brought the majority of the young players into the first team. Ok it was forced upon him but do you believe Mowbray would have played them had it not been forced upon him as well?

As for them all improving under Mowbray thats surely a given seeing as they were 17/18 when Williamson had to bring them through so are hardly going to make the step up easily.

There was spells watching the team that was just breathtaking football. Now I can't remember it throughout a whole game but 5 minutes here or 10 minutes there where we played the game the way it should be played and the opposition couldn't get near the ball.

Like I said on Scotsport for those that remember icon_wink.gif

We got a little of that under McLeish but it was mainly then bits of magic from Russ or Sauzee and only occasionally whole moves that would make you stand on your tip toes and then there were the rare games where we'd show minutes of brilliance.

But this whole team could play great football, last 2 seasons everyone but Gary Smith (and he wasn't too bad at it) would get the ball down and try and play good football.

I know we get the **** ripped on here for saying it because you see the odd game where we hump it but over the course of a season it is so refreshing and entertaining to watch.

I suppose that's why John Collins would be the very popular figure. But it's hard to get right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

Maybe you took it wrong but I'm not trying to give Williamson credit at all. Just pointing out he brought the majority of the young players into the first team. Ok it was forced upon him but do you believe Mowbray would have played them had it not been forced upon him as well?

As for them all improving under Mowbray thats surely a given seeing as they were 17/18 when Williamson had to bring them through so are hardly going to make the step up easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mowbray took what was there and moulded it together in 2 weeks for the Vetra games far better than BW had in his time bringing them through.

They were always going to break into the team, our squad was thin with all the departing players from the McLeish era and they were showing talent in the reserves. Having already brought through Miller, McManus (who obviously is talented just a bit/very daft/lazy), Murray & O'Connor.

BW certainly did GOC more bad than good. Sauzee was the gaffer that gave Riordan his first chance (I think).

and also I'm not saying Mowbray is a bad manager. hell I'd be delighted if he went but I firmly believe he gets more credit than he deserves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think had he been a bigger name then he wouldn't have got quite as much but remember what you and many others were saying when he arrived, you tipped us for relegation!

He's done so much for the team and himself that I personally think he deserves everything he gets. He gets the odd bad press as well mind with substitution stick, goalkeeper stick and 4 something humpings to Hearts.

I'm starting to feel like he's gone now icon_frown.gif

As good as gone icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hibernian Football Club can confirm that West Bromwich Albion will be given permission later this morning to speak to Manager Tony Mowbray regarding the vacant position at The Hawthorns.

Commenting Hibernian Chairman Rod Petrie said: “Yesterday was a long day of discussions with both West Bromwich Albion and with our Manager Tony Mowbray. The Club did not disguise its hope that Tony would remain in post to continue the good work at Easter Road

“However there were two significant events during the day. First, Tony expressed his clear desire to have the opportunity to speak to West Bromwich Albion. This was then the catalyst for agreeing a compensation package. Secondly, Jeremy Peace of West Bromwich Albion reflected his enthusiasm to secure Tony’s services, by making a much more substantial offer of compensation.

“The Club’s discussions with West Bromwich Albion continued late into the evening and an accommodation has been reached which will be confirmed in writing this morning. Given the Manager’s desire to speak to West Bromwich Albion and the fact that compensation has now been agreed, West Bromwich will reluctantly be given permission to speak to Tony.

“Responsibility for preparing the team for this Sunday’s Edinburgh Derby will now be given to the existing coaching staff.â€

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=1751_0_1_0_C

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right been thinking about new gaffers and this is what I reckon.

Yogi isn't good enough for my liking but I have no problem with him.

Mixu hasn't done enough yet and for me and it could all end in tears.

Jeffries would be a sensible choice to steady the ship again but would be a bit meh and there is the big Jambo problem.

Levein as above but probably with dross football. Although I do rate him as a manager.

Collins is the most inexpereienced but he has been learning from the very best like Rijkaard at Barca, he wants to install the sort of football we want to see and he's got the right mental attitude. But can he get it through to the players and is he tactically astute enough?

I'm starting to think I'd want Collins with somoene like Proctor as AM but Collins has said he knows coaches he has in mind so.

Aaargh it's so tough. We need somebody that can come straight in and get the players heads back up and continue what Mogga started. Collins is the man for me but I have faith that Rod could perhaps pull out another gem.

think there will be a lot of interest in this job due to the good team Hibs posess icon14.gif

I have to admit, when you got Mowbray as manager, I was sitting thinking "WTF what a stupid appointment" but he's been a breath of fresh air to the Scottish game and certainly one of the reasons why Kevin Thomson, Derek Riordan, Gary O'Connor, Scott Brown and Steven Fletcher are close or in the Scotland squad icon14.gif

I dont particuarly think that West Brom is that big of a job, but Mowbray hass a dream of managing in the Premiership and Brom could allow him to achieve this, sort of glad to see him go from a rival point of view, but the squad is still there icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

i think you should go for Yogi Hughes. Best young manager in the country i think.

I love listening to his interviews too icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After the shambles that was Easter Road a few weeks ago, somehow I don't think Hughes would be a popular choice at this moment in time.

Anyhoo, I'm glad this has happened when it has as this can only unsettle the squad this weekend. Wp West Brom icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

Right been thinking about new gaffers and this is what I reckon.

Yogi isn't good enough for my liking but I have no problem with him.

Mixu hasn't done enough yet and for me and it could all end in tears.

Jeffries would be a sensible choice to steady the ship again but would be a bit meh and there is the big Jambo problem.

Levein as above but probably with dross football. Although I do rate him as a manager.

Collins is the most inexpereienced but he has been learning from the very best like Rijkaard at Barca, he wants to install the sort of football we want to see and he's got the right mental attitude. But can he get it through to the players and is he tactically astute enough?

I'm starting to think I'd want Collins with somoene like Proctor as AM but Collins has said he knows coaches he has in mind so.

Aaargh it's so tough. We need somebody that can come straight in and get the players heads back up and continue what Mogga started. Collins is the man for me but I have faith that Rod could perhaps pull out another gem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard Rix is a decent manager icon14.gif

Right so the club have said that Tony has agreed to join WBA from Wed.

Fine, the club lives on starting with Sunday.

Rob Jones could be back in the team, great news as we thought he could even be a doubt for the next game.

Zemmama and Benji both doubtful but Broonie, Whittaker and Sproule are all fine.

Will be interesting to see what sort of side Venus will go out with.

BRING IT ON

3 points handed the the Hibees with our selection today ffs icon_mad.gif

Gordon, Tall, Pressley, Berra, Wallace, Miko, Hartley, Zaliukas, Chesney, Mole and Velika

Aguair and Beslija were both fb against Dundee Utd and haven't played any internationals this week so should be fresh.

A little surprised to see Hibs score twice, especially one from a set play, as that Hearts back 4 looks solid. What are Hearts fans views on the positive effect (or otherwise) of the coaching offered by the present staff? Are they getting the best out of what they have and working on the right things between matches?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

that's how bad Miko is ffs. Even with 10 men we play better without the wee **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always seems to me to have ability, but no idea how to play the game, if that makes sense...

Craig Gordon wondersave \o/\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And therein lies a major difference between Hibernian and Heart of Midlothian icon_frown.gif

Archived