The Hibs & Romanov thread 06/07

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get all this hate against Webster, ok, he stated his desire to leave, but most players do nowadays. I didn't agree with his agent's actions before the Utd game, but I don't think for a minute Romanov was as Innocent in all this as he's made himself out to be. Webster stated he'd happily see out his contract and his commitment wouldn't have been an issue, i believe him. Had Webster gone in the huff solely down to footballing reasons, then yes, the fans mentality towards him would have been justified to a certain extent, but noone can say hand on heart that Romanov hasn't used underhanded tactics as to make his own point.

The only beef I harbour against Webster is he and his agent should have waited until 'after' the Utd game before making their feelings known.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I don't get all this hate against Webster, ok, he stated his desire to leave, but most players do nowadays. I didn't agree with his agent's actions before the Utd game, but I don't think for a minute Romanov was as Innocent in all this as he's made himself out to be. Webster stated he'd happily see out his contract and his commitment wouldn't have been an issue, i believe him. Had Webster gone in the huff solely down to footballing reasons, then yes, the fans mentality towards him would have been justified to a certain extent, but noone can say hand on heart that Romanov hasn't used underhanded tactics as to make his own point.

The only beef I harbour against Webster is he and his agent should have waited until 'after' the Utd game before making their feelings known. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can Webster say his commitment wouldn't have been an issue? He decided of his own accord not to bother turning up for the pre-season training and tour of Austria. Obviously Romanov has played things against him but Webster hasn't helped himself by speaking to the press through his agent. Remember this isn't the first time he 'refused' to go on pre-season tour. Just last year he was left behind whilst the squad travelled to Ireland and trying to arrange a move to Rangers.

This pre season stuff was always going to happen after the way Romanov treated him last season. Loyalty works both ways and my own personal view is that Webster has only reacted how most people would react. Lets not forget some of Romanov's insults went beyond football.

As for last year's pre season, I agree he was an arse, but there's no denying he came back from that and played his part in our tremendous start, so aye, I think his commitment wouldn't have been an issue. The way I see it had these insults happened in any other line of business, the employee would have had every right to walk out their current job but for some reason footballers aren't given that luxury

Webster went in a huff at the start of last season because he wanted to go to Rangers, he wasn't on the Irish tour.

Romanov isn't innocent in it all, but Webster has not conducted himself well.

If it turns out he gets some sort of ban, he deserves it.

Then what should happen to Romanov? Webster gets a 6 month ban, yet Romanov gets off Scot-free? Both are as guilty as one another in their own way.

I can't believe Webster gets it in the neck while some fans would have liked Skacel to stay. Skacel was the guy that threw a tantrum all because he got dropped against Dunfermline, Skacel was the guy that stopped playing after the new year all because he didn't want to get injured and Skacel was the guy that blatantly didn't want to play for the club under any circumstances.

Maybe not, but Romanov still hasn't come out and explained the comments he made about Webster's parents. Oh aye, he used the age old 'translator' argument. While Romanov has been our white knight, it doesn't nor should it mean he can **** all over any player he has a beef with. If he doubts Websters commitment then sell him, but that shouldn't give Romanov the green light for ruining the guy's career.

Can you honestly say that you've ever seen Webster strolling about the park 'not giving a feck' while at Hearts? I've not and I've seen him play numerous times for the club

We were really good in the first half but just couldn't get he ball in the net, even tried to miss the goal (Sheils started btw, Dalglish came on for Benji). 2nd half started poorly but we got going again once Killen went off.

Don't think Brown works up front, need him in the middle where he can be most effective. Jones was class again. I like Killen but he just didn't seem interested and we can't have passengers.

Zemma

He does sound an exciting prospect, hope he lives up to the hype.

From Official site.

Hibernian Set to Sign Moroccan Striker

Hibernian Football Club today confirmed that it had cleared another obstacle in signing Merouane Zemmama (23).

The Moroccan attacking midfield player has been training at the Club for a month and has agreed a five year deal.

The Club has now been advised that it will receive a Work Permit for the player despite his lack of appearances for the Moroccan international side. The signing of the player is expected to be completed within the next few days.

I've not heard/read what Romanov said, but that has to go down as one of our worst televised performances ever. The first ten minutes aside, we were fecking rank from the defence to the forwards. Our 2 CB were constantly giving away free kicks, oh, and this was in between them randomly hoofing the ball up in the hope that it was going tae land at one of their team mates feet. Our midfield was non existent, and McCann was his usual shitty European self.

The only pluses I can think of is a) we're through, b) we kept a clean sheet and probably the only thing that will stop us getting pumped from AEK c) we've got Gordon in goal.

AEK must be quaking in their boots :/

The fat boy \o/

The fat boy beating a man and getting a decent shot in on goal \o/

The game was awful, Hearts were awful. But you really didn't have to do any better, you know you'll play better v Athens.

The only people I feel sorry for when a club play like that are the fans who have travelled all that way.

Job done so cant complain really. Karapidis is expected to sign today so he'll be available for the AEK games. Pinilla as well.

I'm hoping Vlad does some midnight signings again icon_biggrin.gif I remember listening to the radio on January 31st when we were supposed to be wigning 4 players and they just kept saying another player had been revealed. I think Petras and Straceny were totally out of the blue to everyone and signed about 23:50

Tie was a potential banana-skin and you guys passed through comfortably. Last night was poor but was still more than enough. Dunno what Romanov's getting so wound up about.

I think, and hope, you'll beat Athens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I forgot to add - the filp side to all this pish could easily be down to the West coast media yet again trying to unsettle the club days before we have to play Celtic. Strange that these stories always surface before we meet an OF team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the Celtic media thank you very much... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

I forgot to add - the filp side to all this pish could easily be down to the West coast media yet again trying to unsettle the club days before we have to play Celtic. Strange that these stories always surface before we meet an OF team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the Celtic media thank you very much... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the same would happen when Hibs were coming up to play Rangers when we were flying. Rumours of Hibs players to Rangers/Celtic would always be rife.

I don't mind Hearts getting negitive press, i'm just saying that the majority of these stories seem to surface before OF games. Last year Hibs had their fair share too before OF games.

I'm sure it was the Daily Rangers (Hugh 'I'm a fecking tool' Keevens) that ran this story originally. I couldn't give a **** what stories they print, but it's getting a bit boring reading this stuff time after time. You'd have thought in this day and age the Scottish press would have moved on from their 'there's only two clubs in Scotland' mentality.

It's been a long time since the Record was the Daily 'Rangers'. A long time.

As I say the Old Firm feature negatively much more than the Edinburgh clubs over a season. If you only get 8 negative stories a season before these games then you're doing OK.

I'm sure these kind of stories don't really affect the teams concerned anyway other than to spur them on.

Dunno likesay, isn't it the Record that likes to run with the broken Celtic crest every so often? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Along with negative and usually false stories about us every other day.

Then you have the Herald that I won't mention...oops!

Just listened to the game on the radio but what the hell was that 2nd half performance all about? Only player that seemed to come out of it with any credit was Fletch.

Hogg again too slack for the 1st goal and with Murphy + 2 getting skinned by Naismith we were just ripped apart.

Think positive think positive think positive think positive

Was a ****er of a first half <STRIKE>O'Connor/Riordan would have probably bagged 3</STRIKE>.

Team news in now, few changes for Hearts

Gordon

Tall

Pressley

Berra

Wallace

Mikolainus

Brellier

Aguiar

McCann

Bednar

Pospisil

Dropping Chesney for Miko is strange to say the least. I reckon Tall and Wallace are in for Neilson and Fyssas based on speed although they still seem strange as well. Hartley thinks they are being rested for the AEK game he's just said on Setanta

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

What a doze of pish this game is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, the most interesting bit was the technical bust-up there icon13.gif Hearts will only get something out of this game if they learn how to cross past the first man, the amount of times I've seen crosses cleared by the first man is dismal

Archived