how do i get someone that is unhappy, happy again?

i started a new save with spurs last week and started off really well, i needed to bring in some more players so i decided to sign Jan Vertonghen (a left back if you dont know him) from Ajax in January , and after a poor end to the season (won 1 of my last 12 games). Then Fergie being Fergie tried tapping up Vertonghen and Bale, he eventaully put in a £15million offer for Bale which i cant refuse, later on i find that Vertonghen is unhappy at the club and wants to leave because of Fergie, i have offered him many contracts to stay at the club but he rejects them all, how do i get him to remain at the club and be happy as he will be my 1st team left back this season and i dont really want to bring in 2 left backs in 1 window.

many thanks!

i started a new save with spurs last week and started off really well, i needed to bring in some more players so i decided to sign Jan Vertonghen (a left back if you dont know him) from Ajax in January , and after a poor end to the season (won 1 of my last 12 games). Then Fergie being Fergie tried tapping up Vertonghen and Bale, he eventaully put in a £15million offer for Bale which i cant refuse, later on i find that Vertonghen is unhappy at the club and wants to leave because of Fergie, i have offered him many contracts to stay at the club but he rejects them all, how do i get him to remain at the club and be happy as he will be my 1st team left back this season and i dont really want to bring in 2 left backs in 1 window.

many thanks!

How long is left on his contract? To be honest I would just leave him I find most players' wanting to leave settle again after a while especially if you are doing well, as soon as he does the new contract offer in. I know its a pain for a while but I doubt theres a sure fire short term solution.

Do better next season and maybe win a trophy and he should become happy again. Change his squad status to first team\indispensible and set his transfer status to reject all offers and praise him in the media so that he feels wanted might also help. If he continues to be a stroppy sod then I would sell him but preferably to a team abroad.

The easiest way to get players happy is to win stuff! They can't claim they want to leave to gain more trophies if you've just won the champions league! (Well, actually two of my players did exactly that and countless more tried but that's for another time)

Short-term, praise his performances in the after-match teamtalk if he does well to try and put you on his favoured personnel list and offer him a bumper new contract...

• 7 months later...

I had a captain that my squad was constantly unhappy with. I finally got tired of it, and replaced him with another captain that squad wanted. Now he is CONSTANTLY unhappy. The whole season passed, we won a lot of stuff, he is always playing, his morale is good, but he is pemanently unhappy. So childish!!! I would talk to him, but all my pre-written replies are so incredibly RUDE!!! Not a single nice reply to make him happy again. he is a very good player, very important for the team, and I am unhappy myself seeing him unhappy, what should I do?!!

(the new captain is great and team loves him, btw).

Archived