Defensive Forwards

I have not done any extensive testing, so im not really sure how they would work, but i was not very impressed with my intial try at it and did not expriment more on it (maybe that was down to lacking the proper stats for the role?)...i dunno

I've got Olic performing quite well as a Defensive Forward with a support role. He's so tenacious that he frequently wins the ball back very high up the pitch, which has led to many clear cut chances, and really helped my Bayern side dominate possession in most of my matches. He still chips in with a fair few goals as well.

Allbeit at lower league level. Its important to understand how the individual's playing mentality translates as far as tactics are concerned. The more attacking the mentality, the further forward the starting position. This seemed to work well with a high level of closing down, however, took the frontline out of the equation if the defenders cleared the ball upfield. So, that led one to use a more defensive mentality (using the Classic setting), with closing down own half. The intention here being to have the front 4 drop down into midfield, and the midfielders to drop to the depths of midfield, ala Swiss Verou.

...The passing style was a conundrum in itself, direct style seemed the obvious choice, but then comes with the threat of lost possession. Short passing, in one's opinion calls for better passing ability, so seldom is it used globally. A direct style, with uppermost normal tempo, sometimes slap bang in the middle, served pretty good.

...The backline, a flat 3 serves well at the lower level, but one would assume it would require alot more attention to detail to work at a greater level.

...Will post some screenies shortly.

The ME seems to struggle with the concept of forwards dropping deep into midfield to offer the first line of defence. Anybody who watched the Barca game woould've seen how they pressed my beloved Arsenal in unison and willingly dropped back to help out their midfield. This is very difficult to recreate on FM. Have tried lowering the amount of closing down, with a more defensive mentality, so as to encourage the forwards to retreat, but all too often the ME sees the STR as an STR and thats that!

I play with 3 strikers and have the flanking strikers as defensive forwards. They track back, cover the space left in the midfield and do get on the score sheet as well, which is all good for me.

Archived