Am I the only one to have dropped back to FM 2007?

I’ve gone back to FM7 until the second patch comes out. 7.1 was nigh-on unplayable (deranged transfer enquires, mad chairmen etc) but 7.2 was fine notwithstanding match engine irritations (keeper distribution, keepers coming out for no reason allowing easy near post goals, hardwired second half comebacks etc). I do, however, fear for 8.2, as the major 8.1 annoyances are all match engine based. What are the chances these will be sorted?

I’d be happy if they said the second patch was going to delete the FM8 engine as a bad job and bolt in 7.2’s engine.

Worse, FM Live is going to use FM8’s ME, so that will probably be a waste of time!

If the patch hasn't fully rectified the ficture rescheduling problem, I'll have to go back to 07. As it is, I'm annoyed that I had to start a new game for the patch to be fully effective.

That said, I would much prefer to stay with 08 because, aside from players sometimes holding the ball for way too long, I think the match engine is much better. Backs actually overlap, and there is a discernible difference in the quality of play at different levels.

Played 08 and im sure deep down there is a good game waiting to come out but for me the bugs ruin it and its WAY too easy at the moment (no i dont think im some sort of fm genius im pretty average infact)

anyway I decided to go back to Fm 2007 and have spent the last 3 days updating it all to 08 data.I forgot how good 07 is, its perfect in my opinion.

I will go back to 08 when they release the new patch 8.0.2 and give it another go...but if it fails then 08 will always be remembered as the first 'fm failure'' of course again thats only MY opinion each to their own i say, 07 all the way!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

If the patch hasn't fully rectified the ficture rescheduling problem, I'll have to go back to 07. As it is, I'm annoyed that I had to start a new game for the patch to be fully effective.

That said, I would much prefer to stay with 08 because, aside from players sometimes holding the ball for way too long, I think the match engine is much better. Backs actually overlap, and there is a discernible difference in the quality of play at different levels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that FM8's engine looks better and behaves better in certain ways - it looks more like a real game than FM7 when you look at a single clip in isolation.

However, its the "I've got the ball and sweep brilliantly down the pitch for a goal attempt...they get the ball and sweep brilliantly down the pitch for a goal attempt...I've got the ball again and sweep brilliantly down the pitch for a goal attempt..." etc. End to end isn't the word. Its kids in the playground football in terms of attempts at goal.

And they STILL haven't managed to program the keeper to follow "defender collect" or "quick throw" instructions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Themistofelis:

07 is far from perfect but i prefer it over 08 plus i have perfected my tactics and don't plan to spend 1 full year to perfect them again for 08. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes me chortle when the bs merchants on here swagger around saying "if only you understood real life football like I do you'd be able to create brilliant tactics like I can".

As you say, because of the balances struck to create a match engine that appears to work over a given number of matches, what worked on one version guarantees constant slaughter on the next. What is good tactical practice on one ME is garbarge on the next. Real football knowledge has next to nowt to do with it. Second guessing the programming foibles (after the last version's foibles) and the fractured logic of the deliberately ambiguous sliders has everything to do with it.

I just got sick of the goals-to-shots ratio and the demented board expectations and went back to 7.0.2. Will definitely check out 8.0.2 but my hopes aren't too high and, worse case scenario, I will just stick with 7.0.2 and then read the reviews of 9.0.1 before deciding whether or not to buy that game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daleuk7:

has anybody updated there 07 database </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd imagine almost everyone icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Imperius:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Themistofelis:

07 is far from perfect but i prefer it over 08 plus i have perfected my tactics and don't plan to spend 1 full year to perfect them again for 08. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes me chortle when the bs merchants on here swagger around saying "if only you understood real life football like I do you'd be able to create brilliant tactics like I can".

As you say, because of the balances struck to create a match engine that appears to work over a given number of matches, what worked on one version guarantees constant slaughter on the next. What is good tactical practice on one ME is garbarge on the next. Real football knowledge has next to nowt to do with it. Second guessing the programming foibles (after the last version's foibles) and the fractured logic of the deliberately ambiguous sliders has everything to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I've found that my tactics from FM07 needed very little tweaking for FM08. It's the ME's presentation of the game on screen that seems to have changed a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bongo-Bongo:

Whilst I do feel a fully patched FM07 was better, I couldn't go back. I'd miss the game being up to date, I'd miss the new features, even if most of them were underwhelming and I'd miss the improved speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddly enough, game speed is one of the reasons I keep going back to fm07. Patched fm08 (unpatched whizzed by) is considerably slower and less responsive on my machine than 07. Results take far longer to process.

FM08 - bugs - argggggghhhh.

One question though for SI. What about the people who buy these games who aint aware of patches that can be downloaded to fix them? How many people would walk away from the game because of the numerous bugs?

Don't get me wrong I love FM and have played right from the start, but I've nearly launched the laptop a few times with FM08.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Northernlad:

FM08 - bugs - argggggghhhh.

One question though for SI. What about the people who buy these games who aint aware of patches that can be downloaded to fix them? How many people would walk away from the game because of the numerous bugs?

Don't get me wrong I love FM and have played right from the start, but I've nearly launched the laptop a few times with FM08. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i understand your point, but most people who buy pc games:

1. See the "check for updates" button on the first screen.

2. Have the internet so that they can check for updates, or check FM websites.

3. Understand that all pc games require updates/patches.

i don't doubt that there are players of the game who are not like this, however.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Imperius:

As you say, because of the balances struck to create a match engine that appears to work over a given number of matches, what worked on one version guarantees constant slaughter on the next. What is good tactical practice on one ME is garbarge on the next. Real football knowledge has next to nowt to do with it. Second guessing the programming foibles (after the last version's foibles) and the fractured logic of the deliberately ambiguous sliders has everything to do with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Real football? what has the game to do with real football ?

To beat the machine you only need to find it's weaknesses and place a tactic that AI can not understand (i am using a 4-3-3 with three strikers and most of the time not even super keepers can save it).

Tactically 4-2-3-1 is a killer in 08 and everybody knows it , i am not against playing super tactics but 08 is just an annoying game with lots and lots of clicks .

SI made it way too hard, if you think of most of the new features there are mostly against the player , at least in 07 i can easily sign players and keep my best ones in the club ...ah and i can lose all friendlies without any consequence.

Archived