MR - Wide Midfielder / Automatic

ML - Wide Midfielder / Automatic

MC - Advanced Playmaker / Attack

MC - Box to Box Midfielder / Support

ST - Poacher / Attack

ST - Target Man / Support

Philosophy: Rigid

Strategy: Standard

Wow.. Give this a go guys.. Make no other adjustments, just get guys that fit the roles the best.. Very nice tactic produces some beautiful possesion and attack football.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjyyiuymqmq

Took over Chesterfield in 2018 in the Coca 2. I was last, 8 points into the relegation zone, couldn't win a thing. and Wanted to see if I could come up with something new. I started using this.. Now 2 points clear of safety after going 4-2-1 in my last 7.

I enjoy coming up with tactics that make beautiful football and beautiful goals built on teamwork.. I can't stand the direct passing, through the middle "super-tactics".

Well I got something close anyway..

3-1-4-2

DC - Limited Defender / Defend

DC - Ball Playing Defender / Cover

DC - Limited Defender / Defend

DMC - Defensive Midfielder / Support

MR - Wide Midfielder / Automatic

ML - Wide Midfielder / Automatic

MC - Advanced Playmaker / Attack

MC - Box to Box Midfielder / Support

ST - Poacher / Attack

ST - Target Man / Support

Philosophy: Rigid

Strategy: Standard

Wow.. Give this a go guys.. Make no other adjustments, just get guys that fit the roles the best.. Very nice tactic produces some beautiful possesion and attack football.

What season are you on? I've tried a lot of tactics from here and they don't make any difference.

Remember your players slowly improve (play better for you) as the season(s) go on.

1st season with a new club (Chesterfield, Coca 2) in 2018/19. I was in Brazil Third Division for 9 seasons, just got the hell out of there.. The story is in the FM Career Update forum.

I have lots of new players. Picked up a pile at the January transfer window.

Anyone give this a go?

Was in my 2nd season with Chesterfield in Coca Cola 2 and got promoted via playoff.. Reached 4th round of FA Cup, knocking off a Coke 1 and Coke Championship side along the way.

Yes... A tactic with wide midfielders that WORKS and is enjoyable to watch!

Amazing concept with all the silly "through the middle" stuff on thsi forum.

I use a 3-5-2 formation with braintree and it's 2018 and i'm in coca cola league 2, Concede alot against the bigger teams, but i can make up for that when my players are on form and just out score them.

my team is made up of

GK - keeper/defend

DC - Limited defender /defend

MC - Ball Winning Midfielder /defend

MC - Ball Winning Midfielder /defend

AML - Inside forward /attack

AMC - Trequartista /attack

AMR - Inside forward /attack

FC - Complete forward /attack

FC - Complete forward /attack

Playing Fluid, Attacking and more expression.

Plan to make the FC more defined in roles, just as i don't have any decent players, but i will try and get a target man and poacher up front.

Any one use used the 3-5-2 to any sucess

I always use a formation with auto-wingbacks that's 3-5-2 in possession and 5-3-2 without the ball. Rather than a DMC I use an MVd and sweeper keeper. It does depend on the wingbacks being the strongest players in the team and it is difficult to find quality ones in the lower leagues. I find I get loads of good play down the flanks, good crosses and forwards getting their heads to the ball in the box. It amuses me to see so many threads winging that crosses don't work in FM10 - certainly not my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just started a new save, definitely at the lower end of the ability scale (Elgin City). I'm trying a 'flat' 3-5-2 set up through the tactics creator. Limited centre defenders (1 cover), wide midfielders on automatic, standard central midfielders (one defensive and 2 attacking), one advanced and one deep lying forward. Set to rigid and short passing. So nothing fancy at all.

From my very early observations this seems to do best when set relatively defensively and to be especially suited to counter attacking football.

Have just had a remarkable result, winning 2-1 away at St Mirren in the Scottish League Cup first round. This suggests to me that it ought to be possible to play this system with some success and I will be interested to see how the season goes.

Rupal, I'm managing lower league too; my formation is the same except my wide players are wingbacks with a starting position one "notch" down on the formation screen (i.e. about 10 yards further back).

As in any lower league tactic where the players have limited intelligence, the key is to keep it simple. Make sure you have enough supporting roles. My 3 DCs will pass the ball short to the wingbacks of DMC. In front I have two MCs - one on supporting and one on attacking role; ahead a target man and another forward on a supporting role.

I'll go wide, narrow, high/low D-line, through the middle/flanks etc depending on the opposition, pitch and who starts (who's fit!) - have to change the details a lot since I have a small squad and replacements usually won't work well with the same instructions. The main fixed instructions are rigid philosophy, direct play, low closing down and easy/normal tackling, all due to the nature of lower league players.

Because my starting formation is probably more defensive than yours (wingbacks rather than ML/MR and 2 MCs rather than AMC), my strategy maybe tends to be more offensive - balanced/control/attacking.

I do wonder if I'd be more vulnerable against higher quality opposition - faster/more skillful wingers and AMCs in particular, but at lower levels providing I pay attention to the details and adjust my specific instructions pre-match and shouts in-match, I find this formation to be not only successful but exciting too. Another benefit at lower level is that the oppo managers tend to have limited imagination - they all play 442. If they played one up front, I fear I'd have superfluous DCs and gaps in midfield.

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear in my post. I have 3 MCs and no AMCs or DMC. This is a genuine 'flat' 3-5-2. One MC is set on support and 2 are set as attacking (through the tactics creator).

Apart from rigid philosophy and passing set to shorter (I doubt that my players are capable of hitting passes over any great distance with any degree of reliability whatsoever!!. That's why I tend to use the 'pass to feet' shout a lot, so that the ball does occasionally go in the direction of my own players....) I have settings at default. I should have mentioned that my DCs are all set as 'limited defenders' - that's about as simple as one can get it.....

I agree very much that if one has hopeless players it's too demanding of them to expect them to think! Very simple stuff seems to make them make rather fewer mistakes and that's about the best that you can expect.........

No further results yet as the power was off here for 10 hours yesterday so we went to the seaside!

Specifically about the 3-1-4-2... but could be any of these formations without fullbacks:

Do your wide midfielders fall back to defend the wings adequately? I know that was supposed to be a feature of this new ME, but curious if it works... and works well.

I don't use a 3-5-2 myself, but have played against a fair few, and yes the midfielders do drop back to pick up the wingers.

Archived