FM10 - The Bittersweet Taste of Toffee

AcidBurn

300581_Everton_FC_badge.png

Fierce Rivals: Liverpool

Other Rivals: Man Utd, Tranmere

Feeder Clubs: Bury, Preston

Legends: Dixie Dean, Brian Labone, Harry Catterick, Howard Kendall, Alan Ball

Icons: Neville Southall, Duncan Ferguson, Peter Reid, Joe Royle, Graeme Sharp, Dave Watson, Kevin Ratcliffe, Bob Latchford, Kevin Campbell

Favoured Personnel: David Moyes

League: English Premier League

Media Prediction: 6th

Team Captain: Phil Neville

Vice Captain: Joseph Yobo

Finances

Estimated Value: £86 million

Balance: £15 million

Transfer Budget: £4 million

Remaining Wage Budget: £25k p/w

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers

First choice goalie has got to be Tim Howard, he has class stats and performs as well as any keeper on the game outside of the top level ones such as Casillas, Adler and Buffon. This area is strong in first choice for the next 4 or 5 season. Second choice is Turner who is a decent back up but a younger guy could be a target in a few season to eventually replace Tim Howard.

Center Backs

Very strong area at the start Phil Jagielka is a solid player reasonably quick and still has his best years ahead of him, should create a solid backline with either Yobo who is a physical beast but lacks in concentration and decisions although his speed and strength make up for that and he can usually recover from any mistakes. Distin is another solid CB and even at 32 is pretty quick and very reliable if unspectacular. Johnny Heitinga is a new signing at Everton and can play here or as a DMC I am not sure what his best position is yet but he is a decent back up for both at the start from what I have seen in pre-season.

Fullbacks

Two good young English players are the first choices here with Baines at leftback and Gosling at rightback. Although Gosling is not the finished article he is a very good player that can play in a few different positions but I prefer him at RB. Phil Neville although in real life used more in the middle nowadays I like him at either fullback position.

All defensive areas need to be strengthened in the second season as money is short to start with unless you sell players.

Defensive Midfielders

Another young English player Jack Rodwell is easily first choice here in my eyes, this young player can only get better as the game goes along and is capable of slotting in at center back as well if any injuries occur to the main three players. Fellaini is also a talented young player who can play as a ball winning CM, although I prefer him in a more advanced role due to his heading ability. This area is covered for awhile with these two youngsters and the experienced Phil Neville able to play here really well.

Attacking Midfielders and Wingers

The strongest area of the side Tim Cahill offers an unrivalled ability here with tremendous finishing ability and great heading and jumping ability. His injury proneness is questionable but he should be the focal point moving forward. The wings are also very strong Arteta is talented and also able to play in the middle at AMC or at CM as an advanced playmaker. He is also partial to the odd injury but is a decent player. Bilyaletdinov can play at AMC or on the left wing and from pre-season he looks great. His stats are a bit average for a top class player but he can finish well and assist nearly as good to. Peinaar who I had never heard of until Everton signed him is a great player who can perform all the way across the attacking midfield positions.

This area doesn't need much improvement although I would like to pursue some younger players in this area.

Strikers

Yakubu, Luis Saha and Jo are the three strikers but to be honest I am not sure about the latter two. The Yak seems like he should perform with his physical attributes but I will look to improve this area straight away although I will be only playing one lone striker I would prefer a good targetman in this role and have my eye on a couple.

lineupry.jpg

This would be our starting strongest 11 for most games this season.

Transfers Out

Saha and his constant injuries were shipped out first for £3.2 million not the best but due to the finances I was willing to sell him cheap to rid us of his 50k a week. A few youngsters went out on loan but there was no major activity in this area.

Transfers In

I bagged Oscar Cardozo as my targetman for £10 million over 48 months. Not the best decision financially but still with his skill I think a top 6 finish would be guaranteed. Sergio Canales the talented 18 year old AMC from Racing was brought in for £2 million which is nothing compared to what this player can become. I also followed what I usually do and got in Mamadou Diarra from Real Madrid on loan for the season, he probably will not play too much but he is a good signing.

Season Aims

The board want a place in continental competition which is an easy achievement with the talent that Everton have as long as injury stay away for awhile. I think Champions League might be a bit out of reach as the squad is fairly small, I have a feeling that I can do well in one of if not all the cup competitions. I have never won the Europa League or the UEFA Cup in any FM so this is a big target for me.

August 15th 2009 - EPL - Everton 3 Wolves 1

Everton goal Scorers - Cardozo x2 and Pienaar

An easy start to the season with Cardozo dominating a weak team with two cracking long range shots something he does very well, Pienaar added the 3rd with a great run and finish. We were off to the winning start that I wanted as I feel morale and momentum are just as important as tactics are.

August 20th 2009 - Europa League 4th Round Qualifier 1st Leg - Everton 2 Metalurg D 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Yobo and Cahill

An easy match but I didn't want to rest anyone so a full strength team was fielded and we got past them with ease although another couple of goals would have meant I could rest big players for the second leg. Still a 2-0 win is pretty good.

August 23rd 2009 - EPL - Everton 3 Bolton 0

Everton goal Scorers - Cardozo, Bilyaletdinov and Yobo

Good to keep winning in the EPL, could of had more and Bilyaletdinov was outstanding as his mazy run and cross set up Cardozo who returned the favour later in the match laying the ball to bilyaletdinov for an easy tap in. Yobo hammered in a header from a corner to end the easy win.

August 27th 2009 - Europa League 4th Round Qualifier 2nd Leg - Metalurg D 0 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Fellaini and Distin

Fellaini off the mark with a cracking long range effort saw us ease through to the group stages. There were some good teams in this years Europa League but I had every confidence that we could go very far and maybe all the way.

August 30th 2009 - EPL - Birmingham 2 Everton 1

Everton goal Scorers - Pienaar

Disappointment as Birmingham took their chances and we didn't they made us look very ordinary and Arteta playing in the CM advanced playmaker roll was poor and didn't create anything. Pienaar had put us in the lead in the first 10 minutes but Birmingham equalised soon after and then it was dull until the 80th minute when they burst through and bagged the winner.

September 12th 2009 - EPL - Everton 3 Man United 2

Everton goal Scorers - Yobo, Rodwell and Jo

We had to bounce back and we did in style, Man United had started very strong but we were equal to them. Yobo put us ahead and then the second half was all theirs as they went 2-0 up. Rodwell got us level in the 84th minute and then in the 87th Jo broke through and smashed the ball low and hard and the substitute gave us a win. It was important that we came back after the defeat to Birmingham and we did.

Europa League Group Drawn - We will face Slavia Prague, Wisla and Lyon, should be an easy group to get at least second place in with Lyon providing the only real competition.

September 17th 2009 - Europa League Group Stages - Everton 6 Slavia Prague 2

Everton goal Scorers - Bilyaletdinov x3, Cahill, Fellaini and an own goal

An attacking masterclass from Bilyaletdinov. We may have faced an easy team but scoring 6 goals was pretty good regardless. Bilyaletdinov scored 3 and set up another. Fellaini and Cahill also showed why they were great with two brilliant headers.

September 20th 2009 - EPL - Chelsea 2 Everton 2

Everton goal Scorers - Bilyaletdinov and Cahill

Away to Chelsea would always be tough and despite their 20 shots and 5 clean cut chances somehow we bagged two goals with a quarter of the chances and came away with a draw that kept us up in the early stages with the big teams of the EPL.

September 23rd 2009 - League Cup - Charlton 0 Everton 1

Everton goal Scorers - Jo

Most first team players were rested and it told as the youngsters came in and nearly lost to Charlton as they hit the post in the first 10 minutes. It took us 86 minutes to score as Jo bagged an easy finish, looks like the youngsters and reserves are not quite up to it based on this match.

September 28th 2009 - EPL - Everton 1 Spurs 1

Everton goal Scorers - gomes own goal

A poor draw as I hoped we would win, Spurs would be a threat to our aims this season as they are on a similar level to us. We couldn't even score our own goal as Bilyaletdinov crossed hard and low the ball hit Bassong and then gomes and went into the net. Keane equalised for Spurs in the 78th minute to give us a draw.

The first 2 months went reasonably well with only one defeat. Bilyaletdinov was the highlight of the these starting months as he scored and assisted by the bucket full. If he could carry this on we would be on for a high finish.

Top 3 Players for the First 2 months

1. Bilyaletdinov - As stated above simply awesome.

2. Cardozo - Grabbed some great goals and won a few games on his own.

2. Rodwell - Solid as a DMC and decent going forward, starting to improve already.

Upcoming Matches

Wisla Vs Everton - EL

West Ham Vs Everton - EPL

Everton Vs Hull City - EPL

Lyon Vs Everton - EL

Liverpool Vs Everton - EPL

Newcastle Vs Everton - LC

Only one home game in the next month and my first derby to look forward to, any predictions are more than welcome although there will be no prizes lol.

October and half of November Update

October 1st - Europa League Group Stage - Wisla 0 Everton 3

Everton Goal Scorers - Fellaini, Pienaar and Cardozo

We needed a win before the double header against Lyon and we got it, Fellaini scored a great long range shot and Cardozo also scored the same way. Pienaar added the last and we could have had more but 3 was easily enough to see off a team much much worse than we were.

October 4th - EPL - West Ham 1 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Cardozo x2

Cardozo was starting to pay back the £11 million with some great goals most of his were scored one of three ways. A header from a great cross from either side, a long range bullet shot or he would get the ball with back to goal turn the defender and score with power. The last two were how he scored here.

October 17th - EPL - Everton 1 Hull city 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Jo

Jo came up with the match winning goal after I rested Cardozo and a couple of other players. This match was surprisingly even but I had to rest certain players such as Cahill, Cardozo and Bilyaletdinov due to their condition being really low. Everything worked out just about as we picked up three points.

October 22nd - Europa League Group Stage - Lyon 0 Everton 0

Everton Goal Scorers - n/a

These two games were important and would dictate who would finish top of the group so a 0-0 draw was a good result. It was disappointing that we could not score but Lyon played well and a draw was a fair result in the end.

October 25th - EPL - Liverpool 1 Everton 1

Everton Goal Scorers - The Yak

My first derby game with both of us in the champions league places a loss would knock us down a few places and keep Liverpool up towards the top. Torres scored a first half penalty for Liverpool to give them the lead going into half time. Lucas Neill then decided one minute into the second half to run chop down Steven Gerrard which got him sent off. I took one midfielder off and kept Yakubu upfront on his own with support from the wingers. 5 minutes later the Yak scored the equaliser and we held on for a good draw. Neill would be fined after the game, if it wasn't the derby I would just warn him but he could have lost the match for us.

October 28th - League Cup 4th Round - Newcastle 1 Everton 1 - Everton win on penalties

Everton Goal Scorers - Bilyaletdinov

It took us 73 minutes to score against the mid table Championship side and then on the 80th minute Johnny Heitinga decided to kick the ball in his own net. Alan Smith got sent off in injury time of the second half leaving us with a one man advantage for all of extra time. We couldn't make the most of it and the match went to penalties. Both teams scored their first 3 each and then up stepped Joey Barton and Tim Howard saved the weak penalty. Fellaini coolly slotted home to give us the lead. Tozer scored for Newcastle and then Osman smashed the ball home to send us through to the next round.

November 2nd - EPL - Everton 1 Blackburn 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Cardozo

A very dull game Cardozo returned from a small knock to convert a great cross from Pienaar. There wasn't much to say about this game but we got 3 points to stay in touch with the top teams in the league.

November 5th - Europa League Group Stage - Everton 1 Lyon 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Cardozo

This win secured our passage to the knockout stage Cardozo scoring yet again with a hammering shot from just outside the area. £11 million is looking like a cheap price for someone so good, hopefully he can keep up this form and fire us into Europe and maybe to a trophy.

November 8th - EPL - Wigan 1 Everton 0

Disappointing loss everyone went missing Cardozo, Fellaini, Cahill, Bilyaletdinov and Pienaar might as well have stayed at home this loss was hard to take and very annoying. It also inspired me to change from a flat 3 CM's and move Cahill up to AMC. Arteta was starting to annoy me with his poor performances and I decided to transfer list him and see if I could bring in someone else in January with the money.

November 11th - EPL - Burnley 0 Everton 4

Everton Goal Scorers - Cahill x2 and Cardozo x2

Great to see the team bounce back, Cahill got his head to two crosses in his new AMC position and looked ten times better than recent weeks. Arteta was dropped and Rodwell along with Fellaini stood tall in midfield and denied Burnley any room. No surprise as Burnley are one of the weakest teams in the EPL but still a great performance from the lads.

epl1st.png

The league looked good after the first dozen games we were ahead of Liverpool but Man City were starting to shift away already. Having not lost at all I doubt we could catch them and I had a feeling the squad was not deep enough for us to get into the champions league although the Liverpool and Man United games show we can match any team on our good days.

Cardozo would be the player of these games scoring freely and paying back the price tag on his head slowly but surely. Bilyaletdinov was in fine form and I had a feeling the Cahill will start to do better with his AMC position with instructions to get into the box as much as possible.

Upcoming Fixtures

Everton Vs Villa - EPL

Man City Vs Everton - EPL

Slavia Prague Vs Everton - EL

Everton Vs Fulham - EPL

Everton Vs Blackburn - LC

Arsenal Vs Everton - EPL

Wisla Vs Everton- EL

Some winnable games coming up and some good tests against Arsenal and Man City, should give me a good idea of what we can achieve this season. The Europa League group stage we had already qualified from and the last two matches would be for practice more than anything else be interesting to see who we get in the next round. Also got Blackburn at home in the League Cup which was a good draw really.

Acidmonkey - Cheers, I know how you feel I have to play Sunderland on the last day of the season. I just hope it isn't a choice between Champions League and sending us down lol.

Crouchy - The Man United match was my favourite of the season apart from another match later on which is great. I hope i can keep going as well cheers.

iacavone - Thanks, I took the idea from Elrithrals Ajax thread but I am sometimes a bit lazy hence the lack of screenshots for the matches.

Rancer - Thanks, its a shame I only play one striker as Joe and Cardozo are both pretty good but I didn't rate Jo to start with that's why he lacks games. If Donovan was available I would.

I did try to quote everyone but for some reason it would not let me post.

Rest of November and up until the end of the year update

November 23rd - EPL - Everton 3 Aston Villa 0

Everton Goal Scorers- Fellaini x2 and Cahill

At the beginning of the season I would have had Villa as one of the dangers to our aim of getting into Europe but they were stuck in midtable and they played that way against us. It was our wing play that destroyed them as headers from Cahill and Fellaini put us 2-0 up at half time and Fellaini bagged another just after the hour mark with a sweet strike from outside the area to give us an easy win.

November 28th - EPL - Man City 0 Everton 0

I was hoping for a draw and somehow managed to get one. Tevez and Adebeyor missed numerous chances to beat us but Tim Howard was man of the match and kept them from scoring. Overall a decent result against a great team yet to suffer defeat this season.

December 3rd - Europa League Group Stage - Slavia Prague 1 Everton 3

Everton Goal Scorers - Distin, Fellaini and Canales

I rested Cahill, Cardozo and a few other first teamers for this match so the result was great even if the match was pointless. Canales getting off the mark for Everton with a well taken finish from outside the area. The other goals were both thumping headers from corners.

December 6th - EPL - Everton 1 Fulham 1

Everton Goal Scorers - Cahill

Fulham came and defended and they managed to grab a point somehow. This game was a reverse of the Man City game as we dominated but just couldn't get a second goal we had gone 1-0 up in the first half and Fulham had equalised just before the hour mark and then Murphy hit the bar a few minutes later. A disappointing draw really as I was hoping for all 3 points at home against a team not as good as my own.

December 9th - League Cup Quarter Final - Everton 7 Blackburn 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Pienaar x3, Cahill x3 and Cardozo

What can I say from scoring zero goals to getting 7, I know Blackburn are not that good but it was still a great attacking performance from my team we demolished them and just couldn't stop scoring. Cahill was brilliant as he always was since moving to AMC. Pienaar scored some great long range goals and Cardozo bagged a header after coming on as a substitute in the 80th minute. I hate to think what Big Sam would say to his team in real life after a performance like this one.

December 12th - EPL - Arsenal 2 Everton 1

Everton Goal Scorers - Fellaini

I was hoping for a draw and couldn't believe my luck when we went 1-0 up against Arsenal. Then Andrei Arshavin started to play he destroyed poor Gosling at right back twice going round him to score two great goals. If I had to lose I am glad it was against a player I really like, if only I could sign him.

December 17th - Europa League Group Stage - Everton 6 Wisla 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Cardozo x2, Yobo x2, Fellaini and Cahill

An easy game to get morale back after the defeat. We had scored 7 last time out at home so getting 6 was pretty good even against weak opposition. Cardozo was brilliant scoring one and setting up Cahill to hammer a header past the keeper. Fellaini kept up his fine form to score yet again. We headed to the next round in style.

December 20th - EPL - Everton 1 Portsmouth 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Cahill

Cahill was the man once against with a great finish from just inside the box he drilled the ball hard and low into the bottom corner. That was about the only thing worth talking about in a pretty dull match but 3 points is 3 points no matter how you earn them.

December 23rd - EPL - Everton 2 Sunderland 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Bilyaletdinov and Canales

I had to put aside my real life love of Sunderland but I knew how bad they were playing so I rested Cahill and once we went 2-0 up I took off Fellaini and Cardozo to save humiliating them. Bilyaletdinov scored his first goal since returning from a month out and Canales began to show signs of his potential as he set up one and scored the other. Poor old Sunderland.

December 26th - EPL - Stoke City 3 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Rodwell and Cardozo

Very surprised that we lost against Stoke in real life the Brittania Stadium is a hard place to go but on FM it's just another ground. The game was end to end 1-0 to us, 1-1 then 2-1 to us and 2-2. In the 88th minute substitute Dave Kitson broke free and slotted the ball past Howard to give Stoke a much needed win and condemn us to defeat.

December 28th - EPL - Wolves 1 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - The Yak and Fellaini

We needed to come back from the loss and we did, Cardozo had been really poor against Stoke so I went with Yakubu up front and it paid off he scored a thunderous drive from 10 yards to put us 1-0 up and Fellaini scored yet again with another long range shot. We had come back well against a potential banana skin here.

December 30th - EPL - Everton 3 Burnley 1

Everton Goal Scorers - Cardozo x3

Cardozo was recalled to the starting line up as a weak defence would mean he could bag a few goals. He single handedly won the match for us with a great hat trick. Turned the defender on the edge of the box and placed the ball past the keeper for his first goal, then used his head to hammer in Pienaars cross for his second. Saving the best until last a 30 yard drive secured us three points and him the match ball.

epl2nd.png

Not too bad of a position but not the best a bit of inconsistency creeping in summed up by the loss at Stoke. We were well clear of 7th place but I think it is a race between us and Spurs for 6th I am not sure the team can last much longer with the squad being so small.

January Transfers In

After selling Arteta to Real Madrid for £16 million I decided to buy someone for the future so I spent a big £12.25 million on Jack Wilshere it would be hard for him being so young but the guy can develop into one of the best AMC/Wingers on the game. With Cahill playing at AMC Wilsheres vision and skill would give us a young AMC that offers something different to the heading ability of Tim Cahill. His ability to play on either flank can only help the team out and I would be giving the youngster a fair few first team games this season. I also signed Victor Moses for £3.1 million as another player for the future, this added to the youngsters already at the club Jack Rodwell, Dan Gosling, Jose Baxter and Sergio Canales. The future looks bright if these lads can live upto their potential.

Europa League Draw

Fenerbahce Vs Toulouse

Fiorentina Vs Shakhtar

Lyon Vs Valencia

Benfica Vs Roma

Aston Villa Vs Lazio

Athletic Vs Zenit

Lille Vs Ajax

Villarreal Vs Basel

Rubin Vs Fulham

Sporting Vs genoa

Dinamo Kiev Vs Everton

Bordeaux Vs Galatasary

Club Brugge Vs Rangers

Celtic Vs Porto

Olympiakos Vs Standard

Panathinaikos Vs At. Madrid

We had a good draw really as only Kiev's strikers really bothered me I felt we could progress to the next round easily. As you can see there are loads of very good teams still left in the competition Lyon, Roma, Porto, Valencia, At. Madrid and Villarreal there was a lot of quality to beat if we wanted to go far in this competition.

Players of the Update

1. Fellaini - Scoring bags of goals winning the ball and playing like an all round midfield beast the man with the funny haircut is a genius and one of my favourite players on FM10. Hopefully he can continue his good form and help us go as far as we can.

2. Cahill - Scoring and assisting and generally being a pain in the ass to any opposition in front of him since moving to AMC his season has gone from good to better to brilliant.

3. Cardozo - Headers and long shots there are not many better strikers to watch on the game, he can do it all and if he stays fit I think he can maybe lead us to glory if the defence can back him up.

Upcoming Fixtures

Scunthorpe Vs Everton - FA Cup

Liverpool Vs Everton - LC 1st Leg

Bolton Vs Everton - EPL

Everton Vs Birmingham - EPL

Everton Vs Liverpool - LC 2nd Leg

Man United Vs Everton - EPL

Spurs Vs Everton - EPL

Everton Vs Chelsea - EPL

Looking forward to the league cup semi finals against the enemy Liverpool the last 3 games on the list will be hard. Spurs away is a game I would like to at least draw given how close they are too us and a home win against Chelsea would be great, just have to wait and see.

Sorry for the long update lol.

Great first half of the season, 'Burn. Very nice updates too. Its very close at the top of the prem there, haha.

Thanks, the league is close and thats a good thing for me I was worried about being left far behind but hopefully I can get into any European competition.

Great start. Can't wait for the last day of the season:D (But thats me being a Newcastle fan)

lol, no sympathy from a Newcastle thing but I would be the same way.

The New Year

January 2nd - FA Cup 3rd Round - Scunthorpe 0 Everton 4

Everton Goal Scorers - Canales, Diarra, Cahill and Cardozo

A really easy game that we should have and did dominate most players were rested and Cahill and Cardozo grabbed a goal each from the bench to put us in the next round.

January 6th - League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg - Liverpool 0 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Osman and Pienaar

The first of 2 derbies this month and it was very important to get at least a draw and an away goal. We started well but then soaked up lots of pressure and twice hit our rivals on the break to claim a brilliant win at Anfield. Our defence was brilliant and Tim Howard was man of the match Pienaars goal was beautiful one pass from Yobo down field after a Liverpool corner, Pienaar controlled dribbled towards the goal and fired the ball past Reina into the top corner. Bring on the second leg.

January 9th - EPL - Bolton 2 Everton 3

Everton Goal Scorers - Wilshere x3

This match was all about Wilshere I rested Cahill and gave Wilshere his EPL debut for Everton. All his goals were great one from 25 yards and the other two brilliant strikes into the top corner from just inside the area. Bolton failed to cope with him and the scoreline doesn't reflect how well we played as Bolton grabbed one late goal.

January 16th - EPL - Everton 3 Birmingham 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Cardozo, Pienaar and Fellaini

A few star men rested ready for the next match against Liverpool this match was won by half time so off came Fellaini and Cardozo as we cruised to an easy win. Hopefully the next match would be as easy but I doubt it.

January 20th - League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg - Everton 0 Liverpool 1

We soaked up pressure well but Reira had put Liverpool in front after just 9 minutes the rest of the match was pretty equal and once again Tim Howard, Distin and Yobo were the star men as they kept Gerrard and Torres quiet as we booked a place in the final against Man United. We also had knocked out our biggest rivals which was a great bonus in this competition.

January 23th - Fa Cup 4th Round - Plymouth 0 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Wilshere x2

Played the reserves and once again Wilshere was showing signs of his potential with 2 well taken goals against the Championship side as we went through easy and started to look forward to a match against Arsenal in the next round.

January 27th - EPL - Man United 4 Everton 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Canales and Cahill

Man United avenged their defeat at Goodison earlier in the season as we were outclassed by a much better team than we are. We had gone 1-0 up but it took less than 10 minutes for United to answer by the 81st minute we pulled one back to get to 3-2 and went all out for an equaliser but Wayne Rooney came back to haunt the team that discovered him with an 89th minute goal to seal the win for United.

January 30th - EPL - Spurs 2 Everton 1

Everton Goal Scorers - Osman

Another pretty bad display as the league was turning into a battle for 6th between us and Spurs but they were just a bit too good and we slumped to successive defeats, I think for the first time in my short career. We needed to boucne back but had a hard game coming up.

February 6th - EPL - Everton 0 Chelsea 2

Bloody Chelsea came to Goodison and played us off the pitch to hand yet another defeat. We had a good record against bigger clubs but this was a poor display.

February 9th - EPL - Everton 4 West Ham 0

Everton Goal Scorers - Cahill, Fellaini, Bilyaletdinov and Wilshere

We really needed the win and the lads performed well attacking brilliance along with defensive solidarity that we could produce on good days. Wilshere scored yet again starting on the right wing his opposite Bilyaletdinov was coming back from a few weeks out and it was great to see him score. The midfield duo scored the last two goals as Cahill and fellaini sealed a decent win.

February 13th - Fa Cup 5th Round - Arsenal 1 Everton 0

Very annoyed at this result as we played great attacking well and defending well but we just could not get the ball in the back of the net. Gallas ended our FA Cup run with a powerful header from a Fabregas corner after just 21 minutes. I was annoyed like I said but we were in the final of the league cup so things weren't too bad.

February 18th - Europa League First Knockout Round 1st Leg - Dinamo Kiev 0 Everton 0

Milevskyi and Shevchenko were the strikeforce we had to deal with and we did so with ease the trouble was Kiev also denied our attack any room in a boring game that ended scoreless. I wish we had an away goal but I felt the return leg would see us through easily.

Bad News

Cardozo was injured in training and the master of the long shot and header would be out for 4 months missing the rest of the season. It is a huge blow and now we will have to rely on The Yak and Jo to play upfront on their own and bring us some goals.

February 21st - EPL - Hull City 0 Everton 3

Everton Goal Scorers - Cahill, the Yak and Osman

Not much to say really an easy game where Cardozos replacement played well scoring and creating as we easily defeated a poor Hull City side.

February 25th - EPL - Everton 4 Dinamo Kiev 2

Everton Goal Scorers - Cahill x2 and the Yak x2

Well it was easy in the end The Yak once again showing he could replace Cardozo as he bagged two headed goals to go with one header from Cahill in this back and forth match. The best thing was after this win we were drawn against Rangers and there is not many things I like more than beating Rangers so I hoped the team could progress even further. Next up the biggest game of the season to League Cup Final.

February 28th League Cup Final

manub.jpg Vs evertons.jpg

Even after the beating we took at Old Trafford I decided to not change a thing about the formation or the tactic. It was such a pity that Cardozo would miss the game as his presence was always a plus to the team but I had a feeling we would do well.

lcfb.jpg

A great game for us anyway, Osman hammered home a 30 yard freekick right into the top corner to put us ahead. Only 3 minutes later Yobo rose above the Man United defence and smashed a thunderous header into the goal to pretty much end the match for us. I decided not to go defensive as I wanted to attack and win by more but it didn't happen although Cahill and Fellaini both hit the woodwork in the second half. I had clinched my first FM10 trophy and my first one in a hopefully successful spell as Everton manager.

Players of the Month

1. Jack Wilshere - Simply brilliant he had scored more goals in his first few games than other players in the same position had all season. This guy was the future of Everton if he kept developing at this rate.

2. Leon Osman - some great goals and he is pretty much here for his great freekick against Man United in the League Cup Final.

3. Joseph Yobo and Tim Howard - I couldn't separate these two as both had been crucial to the team in the past 2 months. Howard had a few MoTM performances and Yobo had scored the goal that sealed the Cup win but also he had grabbed other goals in the league and helped us defensively endlessly through this year so far.

• 1 month later...

End of Season Update

epl.jpg

I was happy with the 6th place although another win and turning a draw into a win would have seen us cruise into the Champions League. The goals we let in was annoying as we had Yobo as the main man at the back and he was first choice in the players team of the year along with Tim Howard making it as sub keeper.

Domestic Cups

We won the league cup as I stated in the post above so that was great to get a trophy in the first season. The FA Cup however was disappointing with a 5th round exit against Arsenal as far as we got, this did however enable us to concentrate on the Europa League and the EPL.

Europa League

groupwa.jpg

eurof.jpg

We breezed through the group stages as you can see and the knockout stage produced some great games. More than once we fought from a losing position to take the tie and go through. Against Sporting CP we were 1-1 and going out at home but Yobo hammered in a thunderous header in the 92nd minute to take us into extra time. During extra time we pressed and pressed but it looked like we would get nothing then Jo scored 1 minute from time to send us to the final. I we confident going into the final as Lyon had not managed to beat us in the group stages, the team however didn't turn up and we lost 2-0 in a match we deserved nothing from. This was my first final loss on FM10.

Season Overview

totygr.jpg

Team of year and there were alot of great players this season but the fans gave their award to Yobo due to his goals and great defensive ability. Cahill had a storming season finishing as our top scorer in all competitions, Cardozo was a good buy as he offered all sorts of goals for the team.

Next season I am aiming to bring in a few players to try and add some depth to the squad as we struggled several times with injuries and players general condition.

It's been a long time since I posted and I will not be switching to a pre-season update and an end of season round up. I found that I didn't have time to post a match by match update and as such didn't think I could resurrect this thread. Now I am a few seasons in it's been a great game from my view so I am going to post every season up on here and hope that people enjoy reading.

Season 2 Pre-season Update

Transfers Out

Yakubu to Wolfsburg for £15 million

Bilyaletdinov to Inter for £18 million

Anichebe to Birmingham for £3 million

John Heitinga to Napoli for £10 million

Steven Pienaar to CSKA Moscow for £11 million

I decided to get rid of a few players as the offers were too good to turn down. Bilyaletdinov wanted to leave and was unhappy so I decided to cash in Inter offered for him after I tried to get rid for £20 million. Anichebe was not needed and was shipped out. Heitinga never really made an impact and was annoyed at being behind the solid team of Jagielka and Yobo. Yakubu never impressed at all and I knew I could maybe get Jo in on loan without paying much in wages and hardly any fee to bring him in.

Players In

David Bentley from Spurs for £8 million

Djourou from Arsenal for £2.8 million

Matthew Upson from West Ham for £2.8 million

Angel Di Maria from Benfica for £13 million

Jack Cork from Chelsea for £2.5 million

Jo on loan from Man City loan fee of 875k plus 50 percent of his 50k a week wages

Carlos Vela on loan from Arsenal loan fee of £1.9 million paying all his wages and future fee of £6 million

As you can see I made far more than I spent which is needed for a few season at Everton. Djourou, Upson and Cork will just be squad players but Di Maria, Vela and Bentley will all go straight into the first team for the upcoming season.

Pre-Season Friendlies

preseason.jpg

I always arrange easy friendlies to get the team some momentum and big wins heading into the main season. We also had the Europa League qualifying round to go through. Bentley and Di Maria were settling in well with Bentley scoring his fair share of goals so far and Di Maria assisting a bit more than Bentley

I am hoping for Champions League this season and with the buys I have made I think this is more than an achievable target for our team, with Cahill and Cardozo upfront we can score against any side in the world if the defence can hold solid then I have a great feeling about this season. Everton lose a lot of money every month but the sales from players will easily cover this and leave us with some cash in the bank to stay in the black for next year. Financially if we want to compete then Champions League is the place we need to be hopefully at the expense of Liverpool.

End of Second Season Update

Domestic Cups

The League Cup that we won last year we didn't manage to defend as we went out to Chelsea in the 4th round. After beating QPR in the 3rd Round we fell on penalties against Chelsea, despite holding a 2 goal lead they fought back to get a 5-4 win and knock us out.

The FA Cup was nearly as disappointing an easy 3-0 win over Millwall in the 3rd Round was followed by a replayed penalty win over Stoke City. The next round brought us Leicester and a unimpressive 1-0 victory. We drew Chelsea in the 6th Round and once again Drogba destroyed us with a great header to send us out in our own backyard.

Europa League

[groupev.jpg

An easy group but an impressive record with only one goal being conceded against FC Twente. We started brilliantly with 3 4-0 wins followed by a 3-0 and a 5-0. Twente were the only competition but we beat them 4-0 at their ground and 2-1 at ours with a weakened team.

Disappointment followed as we were drawn against Italian big boys Inter Milan, we fought well against them and eventually went out on penalties after a 2-1 loss at the San Siro and a 2-1 victory at our ground. Cahill was the only player to stand out as he scored in both legs with Cambiasso getting and OG at Goodison to take the game to the dreaded penalty shoot out.

Premier League

eplwin.jpg

Still not really sure how we achieved this every team was pretty poor really losing a fair few games, we were chasing Man City all season but whenever they slipped up so did we. With 4 games to go we were at home against City and we had taken a 1 point lead at the top of the EPL so needed to avoid defeat and we grabbed a 1-1 draw. Leaving us with Bolton at Goodison, Liverpool away and West Ham at home. Man City had Chelsea away, Middlesboro at home and Sheff United away. They managed a 2-0 win followed by a 4-0 and then an incredible 7-0 away victory. We beat Bolton 2-1 in a tight game thanks to a late Carlos Vela goal, we then went to Anfield and won 2-0 the last game and the one that won us the title was a 4-1 victory over West Ham.

Overall this is the best league win I have had on any FM. Like I said I am still shocked that we managed it, it's strange that all the teams in the league lost at least 5 games and only 4 had less than double figures in the loss column.

52425037.jpg

This was our best team, it was good to have an English spine to the side as youngsters like Rodwell, Baines and Gosling all made great contributions to the side. Jagielka was the only player to be placed into the Player Team of the Year which I thought was surprising being as it was our team that won the league.

My Players of the Season

1. David Bentley - This guy was brilliant on his debut season as he it 12 goals and a massive 22 assists, without him I don't think the title would have been ours. Had the joint highest average rating with a 7.31

2. Tim Cahill - Hard not to include this guy as number one, scored 18 goals and got 14 assists. The number of times he got on the end of a Bentley cross to score a great header after bursting into the box was amazing.

3. Angel Di Maria and Yobo - I couldn't separate these guys, Di Maria in his first season got 11 goals and 15 assists his dribbling was brilliant and ability to go round the best defenders was unmatched. He offered a different type of wing threat to Bentley and averaged only 0.02 less than him over the season.

Honourable mentions must be made for Cardozo, he was our highest scorer with 20 goals despite being injured a couple of times. Vela was also great towards the end of the season, at the beginning he didn't fit in and played awful but the goals flew in towards the back end of the season in important matches.

Overall this season was great the league more than made up for the poor form in all the cups, Champions League was on for next season which would be great but beating Liverpool at Anfield was brilliant it's a pity Man City didn't slip up as we would have won the league in Liverpools own backyard.

I have been given a budget of £42 million after making Vela's move permanent but I plan to only spend £20 million at the most plus any cash coming from future transfers. Ruben De La Red is arriving on a free transfer form Real Madrid to bolster the defensive side of the midfield. A striker is also a priority.

Thanks for the comments guys, the next few seasons are hopefully about building up some cash aiming for a new stadium and being able to buy some top players but that won't be for at least 2 seasons.

I am also playing with everton right now im in december 2011 and here is a summary of what i have done:

Sold Baines and Osman for about 14 million each and sold saha for 4 million, I got a great price for Gosling 22 million by man city, sold pinnear for 16 million, exchange deal with arterta and milner which i only had to add 4 million$, I was forced to sell johnny heitinga against my will for 16 million. I also sold Dimitar B for about 17 million and bought ashley young for 33 million( a little too much) i bought guys such as Thomas Kadar from newcastle and Sylvinho too be back ups. I sold Jagilieka for 12 million. I bought aron gunnarson who has been good and is 22 in 2011. Yakubu also has been gone for quite a while when i sold him for 14 million. Jo has been very good for me and starts regualarly. Dzeko won Striker of the year in 2010 and might win it again this season. In my first season i won the europa league and finished 7th in the premiership. 2nd season won the Europa league again and won the premiership and right now im in my 3rd season and i am 2nd so far after man city and i won the shield already

Archived