[FM10] Cristoval Alvarez Attempts to Take Over The World!

iseemonsters1

Game Setup: 10.1 Patch, Custom database (Small database plus current international players from: Algeria, USA, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, The Netherlands, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Mali, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Senegal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Wales)

Leagues Loaded: Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, England, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Spain, Turkey, USA, Uruguay

Start Date: July 2009

As you can see, I've expanded the database significantly from my other career game - the extra players added to the small database will hopefully massively increase my chances at international management. The main problem I ran into with my "Travelling into the unknown..." game (which I will be continuing to play) was that I felt like my chances to "move up" in the world of football were a bit limited thanks to the lack of big clubs I had loaded - well, there are plenty of exciting big clubs on both sides of the Atlantic in this setup that I'll hopefully have a chance to manage at in the future. :thup:

And as you may have guessed from the thread title, it's the return of my Uruguayan/English management alter-ego, Cristoval Alvarez, a 26 year old who this time is a former semi-professional footballer (should help with getting a decent job to start with). By the way, I like to imagine him with flowing dark hair and white teeth showing in a cheeky grin.

Career Summary

Season       Club             GP  W   D   L   GF   GA   GD      Earnings    Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10      Penarol          30  21  7   2   51   17  +34      £69,000
2010/11      Penarol          55  33  14  8   94   34  +60      £66,000     Resigned May 20th 2011
2011/12      Al-Ahly          55  43  10  2   120  31  +89      £100,000    Appointed May 20th 2011
2012/13      Lazio            0   0   0   0   0    0     0      £0          Appointed June 17th 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL                         140 97  31  12  265  82 +183      £235,000

Competition History

Season    Club               Competition         Country/Continent  Position       Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10   Penarol            Primera (Opening)   Uruguay            1st            Opening Stage winners
2009/10   Penarol            Primera (Closing)   Uruguay            1st            Closing Stage winners
2009/10   Penarol            Primera (Overall)   Uruguay            1st            Champions
2010/11   Penarol            Primera (Opening)   Uruguay            1st            Opening Stage winners
2010/11   Penarol            Primera (Closing)   Uruguay            1st            Closing Stage winners
2010/11   Penarol            Primera (Overall)   Uruguay            1st            Champions            
2010/11   Penarol            Copa Sudamericana   South America      N/A            Quarter-Finals
2010/11   Penarol            Copa Libertadores   South America      1st (Group B)  Quarter-Finals
2011/12   Al-Ahly            Premier League      Egypt              1st            Champions
2011/12   Al-Ahly            Egyptian Cup        Egypt              N/A            Champions
2011/12   Al-Ahly            Champions League    Africa             1st (Group A)  Champions
2011/12   Al-Ahly            World Club Cup      World              N/A            Runners-Up
2011/12   Al-Ahly            CAF Super Cup       Africa             N/A            Champions

Trophy Cabinet

Season    Club               Competition              Country/Continent
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10   Penarol            Primera Uruguaya         Uruguay
2010/11   Penarol            Primera Uruguaya         Uruguay
2011/12   Al-Ahly            Premier League           Egypt
2011/12   Al-Ahly            Egyptian Cup             Egypt
2011/12   Al-Ahly            Champions League         Africa
2011/12   Al-Ahly            CAF Super Cup            Africa

International Career Summary

Year      Nation           GP  W   D   L   GF   GA   GD      Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010      Ghana            8   3   3   2   10   5    +5
2011      Ghana            1   1   0   0   2    0    +2      
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL                      9   4   3   2   12   5    +7      

International Competition History

Year      Nation             Competition             Position       Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010      Ghana              World Cup               2nd (Group B)  Quarter-Finals
2012      Ghana              African Cup of Nations  1st (Group C)  Runners-Up

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1922.png

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division - July 8th 2009

After just two days unemployed, I got an offer that was far too good to turn down. One of the biggest clubs in Alvarez's native Uruguay was in need of a manager, and believed that Cristoval was the man to take them to glory - and are willing to give him a 2 year contract on £1,300 p/w to do so.

Founded by British railway workers alongside their Uruguayan colleagues as the Central Uruguay Railway Cricket Club back in 1891, Penarol seems like a very appropriate place for my part-Uruguayan, part-English manager to start his career. Also, during my time managing in Uruguay over the past three versions of FM in SC2BC South American challenges, I've developed something of an affinity for Penarol - they're the team I mind losing to the least!

Penarol are the most successful club in Uruguayan history, having won the Uruguayan top flight 36 times. They also have five Copa Libertadores trophies in the trophy cabinet, having last won the competition in 1987. However, since the start of the new century, they've been somewhat overshadowed by the other giants of Uruguayan football, Nacional, who've won six titles since 2000 compared to Penarol's single win in 2003. The other major players in the Uruguayan league are probably Defensor Sporting and Danubio.

I've decided in this thread to set myself short term and long term goals when I take over a new club - to give me something tangible to work towards. The short term goals will be for the season to come, the long term goals for the next three to four years. Once I've achieved my long-term goals, or if the three to four years have elapsed and I have failed to achieve my goals, that can serve as a time for me to consider whether I want to set myself new long-term goals at the same club, or whether I want to move on and seek a new challenge elsewhere.

Short term goals: Win the Uruguayan Primera Division - my assistant manager claims that Penarol already have the players in place to "dominate" the Uruguayan top flight - given that, not at least getting in to the end of season Champions Playoff between the Opening and Closing Stage winners would be a serious disappointment. And if you're going to get into the Champions Playoff, you might as well aim to win it, right?

Long term goals: Reach the Copa Libertadores Semi-Finals - it's been over 22 years since Penarol last won the Copa Libertadores. Nacional won it the next year, in 1988, and that was the last time a Uruguayan team has won the continent's premier club competition. Aiming to win the tournament within around 3 years I think is probably a little over-ambitious. But if I can build a team capable of reaching the semi-finals, I think that will be an achievement to be proud of.

Good luck with this iseemonsters. Do have a go at managing Canada sometime! Anyone would be better than Dale Mitchell!

I considered adding the Canadian league to this game just for you Rancer :D - but I thought it wouldn't really be in keeping with my attempt to manage big clubs and win big trophies in this game (plus I was already pushing my computer as far as I felt I could!).

I considered adding the Canadian league to this game just for you Rancer :D - but I thought it wouldn't really be in keeping with my attempt to manage big clubs and win big trophies in this game (plus I was already pushing my computer as far as I felt I could!).

I would only manage TFC of MLS. I wouldn't manage in the CSL. :o

How many players did you load in total?

I would only manage TFC of MLS. I wouldn't manage in the CSL. :o

How many players did you load in total?

Got about 31,000, which puts my expected performance at 2 stars - seems to be ticking along decently - definitely not slow enough to make me regret having some extra options in there. :thup:

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - August 2009 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - August 16th 2009[/i]
[b]Tacuarembo                 0   0   Penarol[/b]

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - August 22nd 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Rampla Juniors[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (2)
Ruben Olivera (71)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - August 29th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   0   Fenix[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (37)

Notes: Not the best start ever with a 0-0 draw against Tacuarembo - not a bad side, but a side we would hope to beat. Our next game was a much more satisfying 2-0 win over Rampla Juniors in my first match in front of the home crowd, and we rounded off the month with a decent if unspectacular 1-0 victory over Fenix.

Antonio Pacheco got two of our three goals this month - he's spent most of his career at Penarol, but has also had unsuccessful spells in Serie A and La Liga. At 33, he's getting on a bit, but I think he's still going to be a key player, at least this season. :thup:

For some reason, Nacional have been deducted 3 points, which I think only strengthens our chances of winning the league this season - especially since they've started with 2 defeats from their first 3 games.

Pos     Team                    P   W   D   L   GF  GA   GD   Pts
----------------------------------------------------------------- 
1st     Defensor Sporting       3   2   1   0   6   1    +5   7   
2nd     Cerro Largo             3   2   1   0   6   3    +3   7   
[b]3rd     Penarol                 3   2   1   0   3   0    +3   7[/b]   
4th     Fenix                   3   2   0   1   6   4    +2   6   
5th     Wanderers               3   1   2   0   7  +2     5   5   
6th     Tacuarembo              3   1   2   0   4  +1     3   5   
7th     Liverpool               3   1   2   0   4   2    +2   5   
8th     Danubio                 3   1   1   1   4   3    +1   4   
9th     River Plate             3   1   1   1   5   6    -1   4   
10th    Cerrito                 3   1   1   1   2   3    -1   4   
11th    Atenas de San Carlos    3   1   0   2   2   9    -7   3   
12th    Central Espanol         3   0   2   1   0   3    -3   2   
13th    Cerro                   3   0   1   2   2   5    -3   1   
14th    Rampla Juniors          3   0   1   2   3   7    -4   1   
15th    Nacional                3   1   0   2   4   4     0   0   
16th    Racing de Montevideo    3   0   0   3   2   7    -5   0

[i]Nacional deducted 3 points[/i]

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - September 2009 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - September 12th 2009[/i]
[b]Wanderers                  2   3   Penarol[/b]
Julio Rodriguez (25)               Bryan Rodriguez (9, 41)
Martin Gonzalez (83)               Antonio Pacheco (27)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - September 20th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    4   1   Racing de Montevideo[/b]
Julio Mozzo (18, 29, pen 86)       Neider Morantes (pen 74)
Antonio Pacheco (40)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - September 26th 2009[/i]
[b]Danubio                    1   2   Penarol[/b]
Mathias Guzman (14)                Antonio Pacheco (40)
                                  Marcel Roman (61)

Notes: Some good wins this month - a hard fought defeat of Wanderers, who are in good form so far this season, was a really good way to start the month. Racing, on the other hand, are having a pretty terrible year so far, and it was hardly a surprise that we walked away with a 4-1 victory at home. Finally, the 2-1 defeat of Danubio, who are one of the top teams in the league, was a great result - especially away from home. It was also a good way to prepare for our matches against Defensor Sporting and Nacional in the next month.

Pacheco has three from three this month, continuing his good form and showing that he's still got the ability to cause serious problems at this level.

[b]1st     Penarol                 6   5   1   0   12  4    +8   16[/b]  
2nd     Wanderers               6   3   2   1   14  7    +7   11  
3rd     Liverpool               5   3   2   0   8   2    +6   11  
4th     Danubio                 6   3   1   2   9   7    +2   10  
5th     Cerro                   6   3   1   2   6   5    +1   10  
6th     Defensor Sporting       6   2   3   1   7   4    +3   9   
7th     Cerrito                 6   2   3   1   8   7    +1   9   
8th     Tacuarembo              5   2   2   1   7   3    +4   8   
9th     Fenix                   6   2   2   2   12  11   +1   8   
10th    Cerro Largo             5   2   1   2   6   7    -1   7   
11th    River Plate             6   1   3   2   7   10   -7   6   
12th    Nacional                5   2   1   2   7   5    +2   4   
13th    Atenas de San Carlos    6   1   1   4   2   11   -9   4   
14th    Central Espanol         6   0   3   3   1   8    -7   3   
15th    Racing de Montevideo    6   1   0   5   4   13   -9   3   
16th    Rampla Juniors          6   0   2   4   5   11   -6   2  

Penarol Takeover News: Well, there's apparently a consortium targeting a takeover of Penarol. The current board are enforcing a transfer embargo (no problem right now, since the transfer window is over), and the head of the consortium, Roman Sadykov, apparently plans to replace me with former Penarol player and manager Mario Saralegui if the takeover goes through. I'm hoping that our good form and league position will protect me from his diabolical plans! :D

Nice startwith Penarol iseemonsters, already taking an early stranglehold on the league with Wanderers and Liverpool (:D) right behind you. :thup:

Hope your consortium goes through, and you get some more funds. :thup: (and of course, you still have a job when it's all done :p)

Nice startwith Penarol iseemonsters, already taking an early stranglehold on the league with Wanderers and Liverpool (:D) right behind you. :thup:

Hope your consortium goes through, and you get some more funds. :thup: (and of course, you still have a job when it's all done :p)

Thanks Rancer! The takeover collapsed totally - I don't think I've ever seen that once takeover talks start and a transfer embargo comes into effect. While that means there's no extra money for me, on the plus side I don't have to worry about my job any more!

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - October 2009 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 4th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Ruben Olivera (13)
Geovanny Caicedo (67)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 18th 2009[/i]
[b]Liverpool                  1   1   Penarol[/b]
Julian Lalinde (89)                Guillermo Rodriguez (41)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 25th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Cerro[/b]
Ruben Olivera (57)
Marcelo Sosa (79)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 31st 2009[/i]
[b]Nacional                   1   1   Penarol[/b]
Mario Regueiro (29)                Bryan Rodriguez (pen 54)

Notes: We came away with creditable draws from two of our toughest fixtures of the season this month - with just seconds separating us from a win away over 2nd place Liverpool before they snatched an equaliser in the 89th minute to peg us back to 1-1, and a hard fought game at arch-rivals Nacional that also ended 1-1 - a fair result for both sides. We also grabbed a deserved 2-0 win at home to Defensor Sporting, who are one of Uruguay's top sides (although they've been disappointing this season). A regulation 2-0 win over Cerro was our other fixture this month - a deserved victory, although it took us almost an hour to break down Cerro's determined defence.

Now five points clear with five games left in the Opening Stage, we've got a really good shot at winning the stage and grabbing our place in the Champions Playoff already, which can take the pressure off for the second half of the season (having said that, if we can win the closing stage too, then we avoid a playoff altogether).

[b]1st     Penarol                 10  7   3   0   18  6   +12   24[/b]  
2nd     Liverpool               10  5   4   1   13  6    +7   19  
3rd     Wanderers               10  5   3   2   19  11   +8   18  
4th     Tacuarembo              10  5   2   3   12  10   +2   17  
5th     River Plate             10  4   4   2   22  18   +4   16  
6th     Cerrito                 10  4   4   2   17  14   +3   16  
7th     Fenix                   10  3   5   2   16  12   +4   14  
8th     Defensor Sporting       10  3   5   2   9   6    +3   14  
9th     Danubio                 10  3   4   3   12  11   +1   13  
10th    Cerro                   10  3   2   5   7   12   -5   11  
11th    Nacional                10  3   4   3   12  9    +3   10  
12th    Cerro Largo             10  3   1   6   12  20   -8   10  
13th    Racing de Montevideo    10  2   3   5   7   14   -7   9   
14th    Atenas de San Carlos    10  1   5   4   9   18   -9   8   
15th    Central Espanol         10  0   5   5   1   10   -9   5   
16th    Rampla Juniors          10  0   4   6   9   18   -9   4    

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - November 2009 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - November 8th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   River Plate[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (6)
Diego Alonso (49)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - November 21st 2009[/i]
[b]Cerrito                    1   1   Penarol[/b]
Mauricio Bruzzone (55)             Bryan Rodriguez (41)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - November 29th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   1   Central Espanol[/b]
Ruben Olivera (37)                 Diego Rodriguez (50)

Notes: Our momentum has definitely slowed a little this month - but at the same time, our lead at the top has actually increased to six points. We started the month with our toughest game, against a River Plate side hoping to catch Liverpool in second place. Their manager was talking trash before the game, but we did all our talking on the field with a comfortable win. Our two draws, away at Cerrito and at home to Central Espanol, were definitely disappointing, but nobody seems to be able to mount any kind of challenge to take advantage of our slip ups.

The Opening Stage is now almost within our grasp - we just need one more point to make it absolutely sure, but we could lose both of our games and Liverpool could win them both and we might still win the title on goal difference.

[b]1st     Penarol                 13  8   5   0   22  8   +14   29[/b]  
2nd     Liverpool               13  6   5   2   17  11   +6   23  
3rd     Wanderers               13  6   3   4   22  15   +7   21  
4th     Danubio                 13  5   5   3   16  12   +4   20  
5th     Defensor Sporting       13  5   5   3   14  10   +4   20  
6th     River Plate             13  5   4   4   25  24   +1   19  
7th     Fenix                   13  4   6   3   22  16   +6   18  
8th     Cerrito                 13  4   6   3   21  19   +2   18  
9th     Tacuarembo              13  5   3   5   12  12    0   18  
10th    Cerro Largo             13  5   2   6   17  23   -6   17  
11th    Nacional                13  5   4   4   15  10   +5   16  
12th    Cerro                   13  3   4   6   11  17   -6   13  
13th    Racing de Montevideo    13  3   4   6   12  19   -7   13  
14th    Atenas de San Carlos    13  2   6   5   14  25  -11   12  
15th    Central Espanol         13  1   7   5   5   12   -7   10  
16th    Rampla Juniors          13  0   5   8   13  25  -12   5   

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - December 2009 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - December 5th 2009[/i]
[b]Cerro Largo                1   1   Penarol[/b]
Miguel de Souza (4)                Diego Alonso (11)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - December 13th 2009[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   0   Atenas de San Carlos[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (pen 61)

Notes: We secured the title with a minimum of fuss, getting our third 1-1 draw in a row to get the one point we needed to make the Opening Stage victory safe, and then we wrapped up the Opening Stage by grinding out a win against struggling Atenas de San Carlos. Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned by the amount of draws we got with teams that are inferior to us - obviously, it hasn't hurt us too much in this Opening Stage, but I wonder if it could come back to haunt us if someone finally comes out of the pack to challenge us.

That was one of the reasons that we won the Opening Stage without too much drama - none of the other top teams really performed. Defensor Sporting finally clawed their way up to 3rd in the league, but Danubio only made it to 5th, and Nacional's 8th place was poor enough to get their manager the sack (despite the three point deduction).

[b]1st     Penarol                 15  9   6   0   24  9   +15   33[/b]  
2nd     Wanderers               15  8   3   4   28  19   +9   27  
3rd     Defensor Sporting       15  6   6   3   18  11   +7   24  
4th     Liverpool               15  6   6   3   20  15   +5   24  
5th     Danubio                 15  6   6   3   18  13   +5   24  
6th     Fenix                   15  5   7   3   26  19   +7   22  
7th     Tacuarembo              15  6   4   5   17  15   +2   22  
8th     Nacional                15  6   5   4   18  12   +6   20  
9th     River Plate             15  5   5   5   26  28   -2   20  
10th    Cerrito                 15  4   7   4   22  21   +1   19  
11th    Cerro Largo             15  5   3   7   20  27   -7   18  
12th    Racing de Montevideo    15  3   6   6   16  23   -7   15  
13th    Cerro                   15  3   5   7   14  21   -7   14  
14th    Atenas de San Carlos    15  2   7   8   14  26  -12   13  
15th    Central Espanol         15  1   8   6   10  18   -8   11  
16th    Rampla Juniors          15  0   6   9   14  28  -14   6     

Well, a big surprise development just before the start of the Closing Stage. The African Cup of Nations has just concluded, and four giants of African football crashed out in the group stage. Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast and South Africa were all looking for managers - I applied for all four, not expecting to get any offers (it doesn't hurt to try, right? :D ) - and to my surprise, I got offers from Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa!

All three are going to this summer's World Cup, so I could take my pick of any of them in the knowledge that I would get to manage on the world's biggest stage. As tempting as it was to lead South Africa into the World Cup on their home soil, and as strong as Nigeria look (ranked 27th in the world), in the end I had to plump for Ghana.

With just one fixture scheduled before the World Cup (a friendly away to Holland in June), it's going to be a baptism of fire, with a tough World Cup group of Germany, Czech Republic, and South Korea. The Ghanaian FA have told me that though they're hoping for a good performance in the World Cup, that's not necessarily the priority - the main task is to fulfill Ghana's potential long term - a very enlightened attitude, I would say!

In other news, takeover rumors are once again swirling around Penarol, but this time the chairman is looking to step aside for one of the existing directors - meaning little new investment but also that my job should be secure. The chairman gave me the parting gift of selling Ecuadorian international defender Geovanny Caicedo, one of my best players, for £3.6m. It was a decent price for a player signed on a free transfer, and the club does need the money, so I can't complain too much.

Nice work winning the Opening Stage iseemonsters. Best of luck in the Closing Stage. :thup::)

Thanks Rancer - hoping for a good performance so we can avoid a playoff at the end of the season - especially since I'll be wanting to turn my mind towards the World Cup by then! :D

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - February 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 13th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Tacuarembo[/b]
Julio (9)
Pablo Lavandeira (40)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 17th 2010[/i]
[b]Rampla Juniors             0   1   Penarol[/b]
                                  Antonio Pacheco (76)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 21st 2010[/i]
[b]Fenix                      0   1   Penarol[/b]
                                  Diego Alonso (61)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 27th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Wanderers[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (73)
Jhonathan Ramis (82)

Ghana World Ranking: 44th

Notes: A really interesting month. Besides being appointed manager of Ghana, we had takeover talks starting and another transfer embargo enforced, only for those talks to collapse again, despite the fact that the chairman has publicly said he's looking to step aside.

On the field, we made a great start to the Closing Stage campaign. A 2-0 opening win over Tacuarembo was made particularly sweet by a goal from my newest signing, Brazilian midfielder Julio, brought in on a free transfer in January. Decent if not overwhelming consecutive 1-0 away wins against almost certain to be relegated Rampla Juniors and mid-table Fenix followed, and then we produced a dominant performance against the Opening Stage's 2nd placed team, Wanderers.

It looks like we might have some real competition in the Closing Stage though, with Danubio matching our four wins from four and topping the table on goal difference, and Defensor Sporting still unbeaten. Nacional are still struggling though, despite changing management and not suffering from a points deduction in the Closing Stage, they're down in 9th place.

1st     Danubio                 4   4   0   0   12  2   +10   12  
[b]2nd     Penarol                 4   4   0   0   6   0    +6   12[/b]  
3rd     Defensor Sporting       4   2   2   0   8   3    +5   8   
4th     Cerro Largo             4   2   1   1   9   6    +3   7   
5th     River Plate             4   2   1   1   10  8    +2   7   
6th     Liverpool               4   2   1   1   8   6    +2   7   
7th     Racing de Montevideo    4   2   1   1   3   5    -2   7   
8th     Fenix                   4   1   2   1   6   5    +1   5   
9th     Nacional                4   1   2   1   4   4     0   5   
10th    Cerro                   4   1   1   2   6   7    -1   4   
11th    Wanderers               4   1   1   2   3   5    -2   4   
12th    Tacuarembo              4   1   1   2   2   5    -3   4   
13th    Atenas de San Carlos    4   0   2   2   1   5    -4   2   
14th    Cerrito                 4   0   2   2   1   8    -7   2   
15th    Central Espanol         4   0   1   3   3   8    -5   1   
16th    Rampla Juniors          4   0   0   4   3   8    -5   0       

World Cup 2010

I thought I'd post the World Cup for everyone to have a look at - and make some predictions if you feel like it!

[b]Group A[/b]

Algeria
Italy
Paraguay
Russia

[b]Group B[/b]

Czech Republic
Germany
[b]Ghana[/b]
South Korea

[b]Group C[/b]

Ecuador
England
France
Honduras

[b]Group D[/b]

Brazil
Cameroon
Japan
Serbia

[b]Group E[/b]

Chile
Greece
North Korea
United States

[b]Group F[/b]

Australia
Costa Rica
Slovakia
South Africa

[b]Group G[/b]

Nigeria
Spain
Switzerland
Trinidad & Tobago

[b]Group H[/b]

Denmark
Ivory Coast
Netherlands
Saudi Arabia

Looks like I'd have had a much easier group if I'd chosen to take the South Africa job! :D

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - March 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 6th 2010[/i]
[b]Racing de Montevideo       1   5   Penarol[/b]
Nestor Silva (26)                  Marcel Roman (32, 73)
                                  Ruben Olivera (46)
                                  Diego Alonso (78)
                                  Cristian Palacios (83)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 14th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    3   2   Danubio[/b]
Ruben Olivera (31)                 Diego Ifran (58)
Diego Alonso (38)                  Julio o.g. (60)
Julio Mozzo (68)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 20th 2010[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting          2   0   Penarol[/b]
Alvaro Navarro (19)
Robert Herrera (56)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 24th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Liverpool[/b]
Ruben Olivera (17)
Julio Mozzo (pen 85)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 28th 2010[/i]
[b]Cerro                      0   2   Penarol[/b]
                                  Diego Alonso (68, 75)

Ghana World Ranking: 45th

Notes: Some vital games in the title race taking place in what was a very busy month. We kicked things off with a 5-1 demolition of Racing, who actually were ahead in the game briefly before we started the destruction. Then came the showdown between ourselves and Danubio, both of whom had 100% records so far. In a thrilling game, we squeaked out a 3-2 win, after Danubio had come back from two down at half time to level the match after an hour.

Next up was probably our toughest remaining fixture, away to Defensor Sporting, who were also unbeaten. Perhaps drained from the drama against Danubio, we just never really turned up for this one, and I was handed my first defeat as Penarol manager as we went down 2-0. But we bounced back well, grabbing consecutive 2-0 victories, at home to Liverpool and away to Cerro, to maintain our three point lead at the top with 6 games remaining in the Closing Stage. It's also worth mentioning that the overall points table (combined Opening and Closing Stages) could potentially be important at the end of the season, depending on how things shake out - we have a virtually unassailable 12 point lead at the top of the combined table right now.

Ghana's world ranking dropped by one place this month to 45th, mainly by virtue of the fact that we haven't played any matches. :D

[b]1st     Penarol                 9   8   0   1   18  5   +13   24[/b]  
2nd     Defensor Sporting       9   6   3   0   14  4   +10   21  
3rd     Danubio                 9   6   1   2   20  10  +10   19  
4th     Cerro Largo             9   5   3   1   22  13   +9   18  
5th     Fenix                   9   4   3   2   11  7    +4   15  
6th     River Plate             9   4   3   2   19  16   +3   15  
7th     Liverpool               9   4   2   3   15  10   +5   14  
8th     Nacional                9   2   5   2   13  12   +1   11  
9th     Tacuarembo              9   2   5   2   8   10   -2   11  
10th    Racing de Montevideo    9   2   4   3   6   13   -7   10  
11th    Cerro                   9   2   3   4   10  13   -3   9   
12th    Atenas de San Carlos    9   1   6   2   7   10   -3   9   
13th    Wanderers               9   2   2   5   6   15   -9   8   
14th    Cerrito                 9   1   4   4   7   16   -9   7   
15th    Rampla Juniors          9   0   1   8   7   16   -9   1   
16th    Central Espanol         9   0   1   8   6   19  -13   1   

Great start to your new career iseemonsters. :thup: Already a trophy under your belt and on your way to the World Cup! Great stuff :)
I echo DodgeeD's sentiments, all going swimmingly so far! KUTGW :thup:

Thanks DodgeeD and iacovone - it's definitely gone quickly in the direction I was hoping it would, with a lot more interesting jobs becoming available and of course getting the Ghana job! :thup: I'm really looking forward to the World Cup!

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - April 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 3rd 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    3   1   Nacional[/b]
Julio Mozzo (7)                    Diego Vera (82)
Ruben Olivera (24)
Ignacio Ithurralde (38)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 10th 2010[/i]
[b]River Plate                1   2   Penarol[/b]
Jorge Zambrana (56)                Diego Alonso (8, pen 22)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 17th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    0   0   Cerrito[/b]

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 25th 2010[/i]
[b]Central Espanol            0   2   Penarol[/b]
                                  Ruben Olivera (79, 83)

Ghana World Ranking: 46th

Notes: At home to Nacional would normally be one of the biggest games of the season, and the fans still packed in to see it - but this season they were probably turning up to see us almost certainly put one over on the old rivals, rather than because the destination of the title might be decided by the game. And we didn't disappoint with a convincing 3-1 win, Nacional's consolation goal not even coming until the 82nd minute when the game had long since been won. We followed that up with a good win over River Plate away - their manager once again talked trash about me in the press - and once again we did our talking on the pitch with a 2-1 win.

But after two good wins, we slipped up, only drawing at home to struggling Cerrito - Defensor Sporting won to cut our lead at the top to just one point. But then Defensor Sporting returned the favour by slipping up against Cerro, meaning our win over relegation threatened Central Espanol restored our three point advantage with two games to go.

Once again, Ghana's world ranking has dropped by one position, again due to not playing at all this month.

[b]1st     Penarol                 13  11  1   1   25  7   +18   34[/b]  
2nd     Defensor Sporting       13  9   4   0   21  7   +14   31  
3rd     Cerro Largo             13  7   4   2   33  21  +12   25  
4th     River Plate             13  6   4   3   26  20   +6   22  
5th     Fenix                   13  6   4   3   18  13   +5   22  
6th     Danubio                 13  6   2   5   22  17   +5   20  
7th     Liverpool               13  5   4   4   20  15   +5   19  
8th     Cerro                   13  4   5   4   16  16    0   17  
9th     Nacional                13  3   7   3   16  15   +1   16  
10th    Tacuarembo              13  3   7   3   14  16   -2   16  
11th    Atenas de San Carlos    13  3   6   4   15  18   -3   15  
12th    Wanderers               13  3   4   6   9   19  -10   13  
13th    Cerrito                 13  2   6   5   11  19   -8   12  
14th    Racing de Montevideo    13  2   6   5   8   18  -10   12  
15th    Rampla Juniors          13  0   2   11  9   25  -16   2   
16th    Central Espanol         13  0   2   11  9   26  -17   2   

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - May 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - May 2nd 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Cerro Largo[/b]
Diego Alonso (62)
Antonio Pacheco (66)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - May 9th 2010[/i]
[b]Atenas de San Carlos       1   0   Penarol[/b]
Jonathan Tridente (45)

Ghana World Ranking: 45th

Notes: When Defensor Sporting only managed a draw in their first game of the month against Nacional, we knew that a win in our game against Cerro Largo would deliver the title. Cerro Largo are no pushovers, climbing as high as third in the Closing Stage, but we did the business, getting a 2-0 win thanks to Antonio Pacheco and a final goal for the club for Diego Alonso, who at 35 years old will be making a move to Swedish side GAIS at the end of the season.

So, with the title secured and no need for a playoff, we could afford to relax in our final game away to Atenas de San Carlos, and with nothing really to play for we ended up losing 1-0. But no matter, as Penarol are the Uruguayan Champions for 2009/10!

You have to feel a bit sorry for Defensor Sporting, who went through the Closing Stage unbeaten, but they suffered from what I worried might be our problem - too many draws rather than wins. Conversely, we went into all or nothing mode in the Closing Stage, with just one draw from our 15 games.

[b]1st     Penarol                 15  12  1   2   27  8    19   37[/b]  
2nd     Defensor Sporting       15  10  5   0   23  7    16   35  
3rd     Cerro Largo             15  7   5   3   34  24   10   26  
4th     Danubio                 15  8   2   5   28  20    8   26  
5th     Fenix                   15  6   5   4   19  15    4   23  
6th     River Plate             15  6   4   5   28  26    2   22  
7th     Liverpool               15  5   6   4   20  15    5   21  
8th     Cerro                   15  5   6   4   17  16    1   21  
9th     Atenas de San Carlos    15  5   6   4   18  18    0   21  
10th    Tacuarembo              15  4   8   3   18  18    0   20  
11th    Nacional                15  3   9   3   16  15    1   18  
12th    Racing de Montevideo    15  2   8   5   10  20  -10   14  
13th    Wanderers               15  3   5   7   10  21  -11   14  
14th    Cerrito                 15  2   7   6   13  22   -9   13  
15th    Central Espanol         15  1   3   11  11  27  -16   6   
16th    Rampla Juniors          15  0   2   13  10  30  -20   2      

Great to see someone else in Uruguay! :thup:

Despite you taking over Defensor Sportings bitter rivals.

I've had some great games in Uruguay every year since FM08 - my favourite South American league to manage in. Of the big teams, Defensor Sporting would be my second favourite after Penarol - and as you can see, they ran me close in the Closing Stage this season!

Your last thread was really interesting. This one looks like shaping up to be just as good.

Cristian Alvarez sounds like a tasty dish too.

Thanks Mike! I really enjoyed my other thread and plan to keep playing it, albeit at a slower rate - this one is hopefully going to give me plenty of opportunity to move up in the football world - so I can concentrate on exploring the unexplored in my first thread. :thup:

ghanakl.png

Ghana

Pre-World Cup Update - June 6th 2010

[i]International Friendly - June 5th 2010[/i]
[b]Netherlands                2   2   Ghana[/b]
Rafael van der Vaart (72, 90+4)    Sulley Muntari (32)
                                  Samuel Yeboah (65)

A really good result in my first game in charge of Ghana (having been appointed more than 4 months ago!). The Netherlands had to come from 2-0 down to grab a draw at home, with an equaliser deep in injury time from Rafael van der Vaart. Sulley Muntari will be suspended for my first two World Cup games thanks to a sending off in the African Cup of Nations defeat to Togo that sent Ghana crashing out of the competition and cost the previous manager his job - but he has so much quality that he's worth having in the squad to play in the final group game against the Czech Republic and in any subsequent matches - if we make it that far!

I think Germany are clearly the favourites for our group, but I think that anyone out of us, the Czech Republic and South Korea could go through in second place. With the pressure from the Ghanaian FA off, I'll just be looking for us to play some good football and enjoy ourselves in the first World Cup on African soil. :thup:

ghanakl.png

Ghana

World Cup 2010 - South Africa

[i]World Cup Group B - June 12th 2010[/i]
[b]Germany                    1   0   Ghana[/b]
Miroslav Klose (42)

[i]World Cup Group B - June 17th 2010[/i]
[b]Ghana                      1   0   South Korea[/b]
Kwadwo Asamoah (pen 12)

[i]World Cup Group B - June 22nd 2010[/i]
[b]Czech Republic             0   2   Ghana[/b]
                                  Sulley Muntari (78)
                                  Kwadwo Asamoah (80)

Notes: We started the tournament with our toughest group game against Germany and two of my first choice midfielders suspended. We battled hard and gave a really good display, but the Germans were obviously superior, and in the end we succumbed to a 1-0 defeat. That meant we really needed to get a result against South Korea in order to keep our hopes of qualifying for the next round alive. It was a tense, nervy affair, without a great deal of attacking quality, but Udinese midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah scored from the penalty spot and we held on to grab an invaluable 1-0 win. In the other group game, Czech Republic beat Germany, so the group was wide open and anyone could still get through.

We were the definite underdogs in our final group game decided against the Czech Republic, a team who had just beaten Germany and were ranked 30 places higher than us in the world rankings. But we were boosted by the return of Sulley Muntari, who put in an excellent performance and inspired the team to a wonderful 2-0 win.

Despite our superior goal difference, Germany topped the group on our head-to-head record - something that would make a major difference since we'd be facing Group A winners and World Cup holders Italy in the 2nd Round.

1st     Germany                 3   2   0   1   2   1     1  6
[b]2nd     Ghana                   3   2   0   1   3   1     2  6[/b]
3rd     Czech Republic          3   1   1   1   2   3    -1  4
4th     South Korea             3   0   1   2   1   3    -2  1

[i]World Cup 2nd Round - June 26th 2010[/i]
[b]Italy                      0   0 p Ghana[/b]

[i]World Cup 2nd Round - Other Results[/i]
Paraguay                   0   2   [b]Germany[/b]
[b]Serbia[/b]                     2   0   France
[b]Brazil[/b]                   e 2   1   England
[b]South Africa[/b]             e 3   2   Chile
Unites States              1   2 e [b]Slovakia[/b]
[b]Spain[/b]                      2   0   Denmark
[b]Ivory Coast[/b]                1   0   Nigeria

What a wonderful result! We put on a stunning rearguard performance, fighting off waves and waves of Italy's attacks, and having some counter-attacks of our own. The 0-0 scoreline didn't reflect the end-to-end football, and the excellent defensive performance on our part that got us through 90 minutes and extra time without conceding against the World Champions.

The veteran Alessandro Del Piero missed Italy's opening penalty of the shoot-out, and although they scored the rest of their spot kicks, Gianluigi Buffon was unable to save any of our five penalties, and we were through to the Quarter Final with a 5-4 penalty shoot out win.

[i]World Cup Quarter Final - July 2nd 2010[/i]
[b]Ghana                      1   2 e Brazil[/b]
Isaac Vorsah (51)                  Kaka (42)
                                  Robinho (117)

[i]World Cup Quarter Final - Other Results[/i]
[b]Germany[/b]                    2   0   Serbia
[b]South Africa[/b]               5   2   Ivory Coast
Slovakia                   1   5   [b]Spain[/b]

Well, it had to end sometime, and we certainly gave it our all. After our grueling 2nd Round match against 2006 champions Italy, we were pitted against 2002 champions Brazil in the quarter finals. I was truly proud of the way that we fought them, even battling back from a goal down to level the match and take them to extra time. Ultimately, after nearly two hours of football, we were finally undone as Robinho scored when we were three minutes from reaching another penalty shoot out.

The Ghanaian FA are naturally very pleased with the outcome of the World Cup, and so am I - tremendously proud of the team's performance. And of course, it can't do my reputation any harm when I'm looking for my next job! :D

[i]World Cup Semi-Finals[/i]
Brazil                     1   2 e [b]Spain[/b]
[b]Germany[/b]                    2   0   South Africa

[i]World Cup 3rd Place Playoff[/i]
[b]Brazil[/b]                     3   1   South Africa

[i]World Cup Final[/i]
Spain                      0   2   [b]Germany[/b]

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - August 2010 Update

[i]Copa Sudamericana Preliminary Round Leg 1 - August 4th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   0   Junior[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (63)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - August 14th 2010[/i]
[b]Miramar Misiones           0   2   Penarol[/b]
                                  Julio (52)
                                  Antonio Pacheco (70)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - August 21st 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   0   Wanderers[/b]
Antonio Pacheco (27)

[i]Copa Sudamericana Preliminary Round Leg 2 - August 25th 2010[/i]
[b]Junior                     1   1   Penarol[/b]
Emmanuel Vargas (27)               Juan Cominges (18)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - August 29th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   1   Atenas de San Carlos[/b]
Bryan Rodriguez (15)               Fabian Cesaro (43)
Juan Cominges (pen 71)

Ghana World Ranking: 26th

Notes: We started the month with my first venture into continental football, drawn in the Preliminary Round of the Copa Sudamericana with Junior of Colombia. Antonio Pacheco is still banging in the goals at 34 and grabbed the only goal of the game as we came away with a 1-0 win. Pacheco got two more over the course of our first three league games as we won all three, with a 2-0 victory over newly promoted Miramar Misiones, a good 1-0 win over Wanderers, and a somewhat less than comfortable 2-1 victory at Atenas de San Carlos, one of last season's strugglers.

Even winning three from three wasn't enough to put us on top of the table, as both River Plate and a resurgent Nacional have won all of their first three matches to leave us in third. It seems like at least one of them might put up a serious fight for this season's championship. We completed the job away to Junior, grabbing a 1-1 draw to send us through to the 1st Round proper with a 2-1 aggregate win.

Ghana have risen 19 places in the world rankings, due to our excellent World Cup performance. We've also been drawn in Group H for the qualifiers of the African Cup of Nations, where we'll face competition from Algeria, Mauritania and Zimbabwe for the one qualifying place for the tournament proper. I think the draw is pretty decent, though I think Algeria will put up a stiff fight considering only one team goes through.

1st     Nacional                3   3   0   0   8   1     7   9   
2nd     River Plate             3   3   0   0   9   3     6   9   
[b]3rd     Penarol                 3   3   0   0   5   1     4   9[/b]   
4th     Miramar Misiones        3   2   0   1   5   2     3   6   
5th     Danubio                 3   1   2   0   3   1     2   5   
6th     Defensor Sporting       3   1   1   1   5   2     3   4   
7th     Cerro                   3   1   1   1   8   7     1   4   
8th     Fenix                   3   1   1   1   3   3     0   4   
9th     Wanderers               3   1   1   1   3   3     0   4   
10th    Tacuarembo              3   1   0   2   1   2    -1   3   
11th    Plaza Colonia           3   1   0   2   2   5    -3   3   
12th    Cerro Largo             3   1   0   2   1   8    -7   3   
13th    Liverpool               3   0   2   1   0   4    -4   2   
14th    Atenas de San Carlos    3   0   1   2   2   4    -2   1   
15th    Bella Vista             3   0   1   2   1   7    -6   1   
16th    Racing de Montevideo    3   0   0   3   1   4    -3   0   

Nice work with Ghana. Taking them to the Quarter-Finals, beating Italy in the process is fantastic, and nearly defeating Brazil. :thup:

Keep it up. Win the African Cup of Nations and people will definitely notice you. :D

Thanks rancer! I was really delighted with the World Cup performance, and it's definitely added a lot of fun to this save.

Winning the African Cup of Nations would definitely put me on the map! That's not going to be an easy task though - and we've got to qualify for it first! :D

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - September 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - September 12th 2010[/i]
[b]Racing de Montevideo       0   4   Penarol[/b]
                                  Bryan Rodriguez (4, 37, 74)
                                  Diego Rodriguez (24)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - September 18th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    5   0   Cerro Largo[/b]
Bryan Rodriguez (2)
Federico Vega (32)
Julio (46)
Antonio Pacheco (83)
Cristian Palacios (90+2)

[i]Copa Sudamericana 1st Round Leg 1 - September 22nd 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    0   0   Goias[/b]

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - September 25th 2010[/i]
[b]Fenix                      1   1   Penarol[/b]
Federico Vega o.g. (82)            Ignacio Ithurralde (57)

[i]African Cup of Nations Qualifiers Group H - September 4th 2010[/i]
[b]Algeria                    0   0   Ghana[/b]

Ghana World Ranking: 25th

Notes: Our first couple of games this month were about as free scoring as we've ever been so far - grabbing a deserved 4-0 win away to Racing de Montevideo and an even better 5-0 win at home to Cerro Largo. Bryan Rodriguez was not that impressive last season, only getting 4 goals in 19 appearances, and living in the shadow of the old timers Pacheco and Diego Alonso. But he's managed 5 from 6 so far this season, a much more impressive tally.

The first leg of the Copa Sudamericana 1st Round proper was a decent result, getting a 0-0 draw against Brazilian side Goias. Getting through the 1st Leg without conceding an away goal gives us a decent chance of nicking a result in the away leg I hope. We finished the month with a draw against Fenix - ordinarily not a great result, but since we were reduced to 9 men during the game, it wasn't too bad of an outcome. After their good start, Nacional have dropped off a little bit - but it looks like River Plate plan on sustaining their challenge.

In the African Nations Cup Qualifier, we started with our toughest game of the entire group stage, away to Algeria. Getting a 0-0 draw was a pretty good result I think, and with our toughest game out of the way, I'm hoping we can more or less run the table now. :thup:

[b]1st     Penarol                 6   5   1   0   15  2    13   16[/b]  
2nd     River Plate             6   5   0   1   13  8     5   15  
3rd     Cerro                   6   3   2   1   11  8     3   11  
4th     Wanderers               6   3   1   2   12  6     6   10  
5th     Nacional                6   3   1   2   10  5     5   10  
6th     Defensor Sporting       6   3   1   2   9   5     4   10  
7th     Miramar Misiones        6   3   1   2   9   5     4   10  
8th     Fenix                   6   2   3   1   8   7     1   9   
9th     Danubio                 6   2   3   1   5   4     1   9   
10th    Liverpool               6   2   2   2   3   6    -3   8   
11th    Plaza Colonia           6   2   1   3   6   9    -3   7   
12th    Tacuarembo              6   2   0   4   5   9    -4   6   
13th    Cerro Largo             6   2   0   4   5   16  -11   6   
14th    Bella Vista             6   1   1   4   7   14   -7   4   
15th    Racing de Montevideo    6   1   0   5   2   11   -9   3   
16th    Atenas de San Carlos    6   0   1   5   2   7    -5   1   

1st     Mauritania              1   1   0   0   1   0     1   3   
2nd     Algeria                 1   0   1   0   0   0     0   1   
[b]3rd     Ghana                   1   0   1   0   0   0     0   1[/b]   
4th     Zimbabwe                1   0   0   1   0   1    -1   0  

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - October 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 2nd 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   River Plate[/b]
Julio Mozzo (pen 9)
Diego Rodriguez (11)

[i]Copa Sudamericana 1st Round Leg 2 - October 6th 2010[/i]
[b]Goias                      2   2 a Penarol[/b]
Iarley (83)                        Antonio Pacheco (35)
Wendell (89)                       Guillermo Rodriguez (49)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 17th 2010[/i]
[b]Danubio                    2   0   Penarol[/b]
Hernan Figueredo (75)
Rodrigo Pastorini (pen 85)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 24th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Bella Vista[/b]
Juan Cominges (38)
Diego Rodriguez (62)

[i]Copa Sudamericana Quarter Final Leg 1 - October 27th 2010[/i]
[b]Sao Paulo                  2   0   Penarol[/b]
Borges (26)
Henrique (76)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - October 30th 2010[/i]
[b]Nacional                   1   1   Penarol[/b]
Mario Regueiro (39)                Cristian Palacios (73)

[i]African Cup of Nations Qualifiers Group H - October 9th 2010[/i]
[b]Ghana                      4   0   Mauritania[/b]
Michael Essien (27)
Kwadwo Asamoah (32)
Samuel Yeboah (39)
Isaac Boakye (42)

Ghana World Ranking: 22nd

Notes: We opened the month with a win over the club that had until now been our closest rivals in the league this season - River Plate. As usual, the River Plate manager had to have his say to the press before the game - and as usual, we came out on top when it actually mattered - on the field. You'd have think he'd have learned to shut up by now! :D

But our next league game was a disappointment as we crashed to a 2-0 defeat against Danubio, who haven't had a great season so far. It looked like we might have done enough to grab a draw, but they downed us with two late goals to take all three points. We bounced back with an easy win over bottom of the league Bella Vista, and our final game was away to arch rivals Nacional. Despite the fact that Nacional have again been mediocre this season after a good start, I'll take a 1-1 draw away to put us three points clear at the top.

We progressed in the Copa Sudamericana against Goias - just as I'd hoped, their failure to score an away goal came back to haunt them as we got a 2-2 draw to win the tie on away goals - and both of their goals came in the last 7 minutes, so we were close to getting an outright win on the night. However, we were drawn against Sao Paulo in the Quarter Finals, and after a 2-0 defeat away in the first leg I think we'll have to pull off a pretty impressive performance to overcome that and go through to the Semi-Finals.

Ghana climbed 3 places in the world rankings after a 4-0 demolition of Mauritania - it could have been seven or eight as we totally dominated them from start to finish. That puts us top of the qualifying group so far. :thup:

[b]1st     Penarol                 10  7   2   1   20  5   +15   23[/b]  
2nd     Cerro                   10  6   2   2   17  9    +8   20  
3rd     Wanderers               10  5   3   2   21  12   +9   18  
4th     River Plate             10  6   0   4   17  17    0   18  
5th     Miramar Misiones        10  5   2   3   17  8    +9   17  
6th     Defensor Sporting       10  5   1   4   11  8    +3   16  
7th     Fenix                   10  3   5   2   13  12   +1   14  
8th     Liverpool               10  4   2   4   8   12   -4   14  
9th     Nacional                10  3   4   3   15  12   +3   13  
10th    Danubio                 10  3   4   3   11  12   -1   13  
11th    Tacuarembo              10  4   0   6   13  14   -1   12  
12th    Racing de Montevideo    10  3   2   5   12  17   -5   11  
13th    Cerro Largo             10  3   2   5   15  25  -10   11  
14th    Plaza Colonia           10  3   1   6   9   18   -9   10  
15th    Atenas de San Carlos    10  2   1   7   9   14   -5   7   
16th    Bella Vista             10  1   3   6   14  26  -12   6   

[b]1st     Ghana                   2   1   1   0   4   0    +4   4[/b]
2nd     Algeria                 2   1   1   0   2   1    +1   4
3rd     Mauritania              2   1   0   1   1   4    -3   3
4th     Zimbabwe                2   0   0   2   1   3    -2   0

A good World Cup performance with Ghana. :thup: As rancer said you should target the Africa Cup of Nations for a rep boost.

Looks like you are in a tough spot in the Copa Sudamericana. Did you qualify for the Copa Libertadores as well?

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - November 2010 Update

[i]Copa Sudamericana Quarter Final Leg 2 - November 3rd 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   1   Sao Paulo[/b]
Juan Cominges (27)                 Borges (20)
Antonio Pacheco (80)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - November 6th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   0   Liverpool[/b]
Bryan Rodriguez (84)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - November 14th 2010[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting          1   0   Penarol[/b]
Alvaro Navarro (25)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - November 27th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    3   0   Plaza Colonia[/b]
Alejandro Martinuccio (18)
Gerardo Alcoba (41)
Juan Cominges (50)

Ghana World Ranking: 21st

Notes: Our win against Sao Paulo was a really good result - but due to our 2-0 deficit from the first leg, we were still knocked out of the competition. Still, it was a pretty good performance and there's no shame in going out to a team like Sao Paulo. We needed until the 84th minute to break down Liverpool in our next league game, but we eventually got the goal we needed for a 1-0 win.

One of our toughest fixtures of the season was up next - away to Defensor Sporting, and in a tight game, one goal was enough to give Defensor a 1-0 win, and move into second place behind us. But we bounced back with an easy 3-0 win over struggling Plaza Colonia.

Nacional's continued poor performance has lost another of their managers his job. He's been replaced by the River Plate manager who is continually having a go at me in the press - which will make our next Penarol vs Nacional game even more interesting.

[b]1st     Penarol                 13  9   2   2   24  6   +18   29[/b]  
2nd     Defensor Sporting       13  8   1   4   20  10  +10   25  
3rd     Wanderers               13  7   3   3   25  15  +10   24  
4th     Miramar Misiones        13  7   2   4   24  12  +12   23  
5th     Cerro                   13  7   2   4   22  15   +7   23  
6th     Fenix                   13  6   5   2   20  14   +6   23  
7th     River Plate             13  7   1   5   22  23   -1   22  
8th     Danubio                 13  4   5   4   15  14   +1   17  
9th     Tacuarembo              13  5   1   7   19  22   -3   16  
10th    Liverpool               13  4   4   5   12  17   -5   16  
11th    Cerro Largo             13  4   4   5   21  30   -9   16  
12th    Nacional                13  3   5   5   20  19   +1   14  
13th    Racing de Montevideo    13  3   4   6   15  25  -10   13  
14th    Plaza Colonia           13  3   1   9   9   24  -15   10  
15th    Atenas de San Carlos    13  2   3   8   12  19   -7   9   
16th    Bella Vista             13  1   5   7   16  31  -15   8  

A good World Cup performance with Ghana. :thup: As rancer said you should target the Africa Cup of Nations for a rep boost.

Looks like you are in a tough spot in the Copa Sudamericana. Did you qualify for the Copa Libertadores as well?

Thanks DodgeeD! We're looking like we're on course to qualify for the Cup of Nations - we'll see how it goes from there!

Out of the Copa Sudamericana now, but yep, we qualified for the Copa Libertadores as well, so we have that to look forward to in the second half of the season. :thup:

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Opening Stage) - December 2010 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - December 4th 2010[/i]
[b]Cerro                      0   1   Penarol[/b]
                                  Juan Cominges (75)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Opening Stage - December 12th 2010[/i]
[b]Penarol                    7   1   Tacuarembo[/b]
Juan Cominges (27, 45+3,           Enzo Perez (19)
51, 69, 90+1)
Julio (55)
Jhonathan Ramis (71)

Ghana World Ranking: 21st

Notes: Just two games to finish off the Opening Stage of the season. With a 4 point lead coming into the month, and a superior goal difference, we needed just two draws or one win from our last two games to be the Opening Stage champs. And we got just what we needed with a hard fought 1-0 win over Cerro to claim the championship - and a place in the end of season overall Champions Playoff.

With no pressure on, we finished off the first half of the season with a 7-1 destruction of mid-table Tacuarembo, including 5 goals from my Peruvian international Juan Cominges, who is dithering over signing a new contract. Now we look towards the second half of the season, and our first experience of the Copa Libertadores.

[b]1st     Penarol                 15  11  2   2   32  7   +25   35[/b]  
2nd     Wanderers               15  9   3   3   30  18  +12   30  
3rd     Defensor Sporting       15  9   1   5   23  13  +10   28  
4th     Fenix                   15  7   6   2   22  14   +8   27  
5th     Miramar Misiones        15  8   2   5   28  15  +13   26  
6th     Cerro                   15  8   2   5   24  17   +7   26  
7th     Danubio                 15  6   5   4   20  14   +6   23  
8th     River Plate             15  7   2   6   25  28   -3   23  
9th     Liverpool               15  5   5   5   15  18   -3   20  
10th    Cerro Largo             15  4   5   6   22  33  -11   17  
11th    Tacuarembo              15  5   1   9   22  32  -10   16  
12th    Racing de Montevideo    15  4   4   7   18  28  -10   16  
13th    Nacional                15  3   6   6   22  24   -2   15  
14th    Bella Vista             15  2   5   8   20  35  -15   11  
15th    Plaza Colonia           15  3   2   10  10  26  -16   11  
16th    Atenas de San Carlos    15  2   3   10  15  26  -11   9   

iseemonsters, you're doing great with Penarol. Keep it up in the Closing Stage and good luck in the Copa Libertadores. :thup:

Oh, and I would say take the Uruguay job if you really want. International jobs you want don't come by often in my experience. :D

iseemonsters, you're doing great with Penarol. Keep it up in the Closing Stage and good luck in the Copa Libertadores. :thup:

Oh, and I would say take the Uruguay job if you really want. International jobs you want don't come by often in my experience. :D

I applied and they still went for someone else! Maybe I don't want to manage Uruguay after all. :D

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - February 2011 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 13th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Miramar Misiones[/b]
Juan Cominges (22)
Julio Mozzo (pen 47)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group B - February 16th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   0   Santo Andre[/b]
Julio (29)
Julio Mozzo (63)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 20th 2011[/i]
[b]Atenas de San Carlos       0   0   Penarol[/b]

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 23rd 2011[/i]
[b]Wanderers                  0   1   Penarol[/b]
                                  Juan Cominges (8)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - February 26th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   1   Racing de Montevideo[/b]
Diego Rodriguez (1)                Nestor Silva (90)
Juan Cominges (83)

Ghana World Ranking: 12th

Notes: A good start to the second half of the season, with just one goal conceded, and that in the 90th minute of the last game of the month. We kicked things off with a comfortable win over Miramar Misiones, one of the newly promoted teams. Then we faced our first Copa Libertadores game - our group contains two Brazilian teams (Flamengo and Santo Andre) and Venezuelan side Deportivo Tachira. Flamengo are obviously going to be the big threat in the group, but on the basis of our 2-0 win over Santo Andre, we have a good chance of finishing above the other Brazilians. We'll see how good Deportivo Tachira are next month.

Back in the league, we were disappointed not to be able to overcome Atenas de San Carlos, a regular struggler, as we couldn't quite break them down and ended up with a 0-0 draw. Away to Wanderers is a tough fixture, so I was glad to come away with a 1-0 win. Finally, we got a good 2-1 win over Racing de Montevideo to put us top of the league on goal difference. I don't expect Fenix to keep up their challenge, but Danubio and River Plate three points back could be serious threats.

As you can see Juan Cominges has been on form - unfortunately, he refused to sign a new contract and will join Internacional at the end of the season.

Ghana climbed ten places for no apparent reason, since we didn't play, and don't have another match until next month. Still, we're all the way up 12th now - a position to be proud of. :thup:

[b]1st     Penarol                 4   3   1   0   5   1    +4   10[/b]  
2nd     Fenix                   4   3   1   0   7   4    +3   10  
3rd     Danubio                 4   2   1   1   7   4    +3   7   
4th     Cerro                   4   2   1   1   6   4    +2   7   
5th     River Plate             4   2   1   1   3   1    +2   7   
6th     Liverpool               4   2   1   1   7   6    +1   7   
7th     Wanderers               4   2   1   1   5   4    +1   7   
8th     Bella Vista             4   2   0   2   4   6    -2   6   
9th     Nacional                4   1   2   1   5   10   -5   5   
10th    Plaza Colonia           4   1   1   2   3   4    -1   4   
11th    Cerro Largo             4   1   1   2   3   5    -2   4   
12th    Miramar Misiones        4   1   1   2   3   5    -2   4   
13th    Defensor Sporting       4   1   0   3   7   3    +4   3   
14th    Racing de Montevideo    4   1   0   3   7   7     0   3   
15th    Tacuarembo              4   1   0   3   5   10   -5   3   
16th    Atenas de San Carlos    4   0   2   2   2   5    -3   2  

1st     Flamengo                1   1   0   0   3   0    +3   3
[b]2nd     Penarol                 1   1   0   0   2   0    +2   3[/b]
3rd     Santo Andre             1   0   0   1   0   2    -2   0
4th     Deportivo Tachira       1   0   0   1   0   3    -3   0

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - March 2011 Update

[i]Copa Libertadores Group B - March 2nd 2011[/i]
[b]Deportivo Tachira          0   2   Penarol[/b]
                                  Juan Cominges (5)
                                  Julio (42)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 5th 2011[/i]
[b]Cerro Largo                1   3   Penarol[/b]
Diego Da Rosa (7)                  Bryan Rodriguez (25, 33, 77)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 13th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    3   1   Fenix[/b]
Juan Cominges (13)                 Darlo Almiron (37)
Ignacio Ithurralde (43)
Nicolas Mezquida (70)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group B - March 16th 2011[/i]
[b]Flamengo                   0   2   Penarol[/b]
                                  Marcelo Sosa (38, pen 45+2)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 20th 2011[/i]
[b]River Plate                0   4   Penarol[/b]
                                  Juan Cominges (20, 64)
                                  Bryan Rodriguez (29)
                                  Pablo Lavandeira (pen 36)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 24th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    2   1   Danubio[/b]
Bryan Rodriguez (5, 38)            Rodrigo Pastorini (pen 42)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - March 27th 2011[/i]
[b]Bella Vista                0   1   Penarol[/b]
                                  Bryan Rodriguez (11)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group B - March 20th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    0   2   Flamengo[/b]
                                  Denis Marques (26)
                                  Vinicius Colombiano (76)

Ghana World Ranking: 13th

Notes: A great month with just one disappointment right at the end. In the league, we got five wins from five games, starting with an easy 3-1 away win at Cerro Largo. Then it was a showdown of 1st vs 2nd, as we defeated Fenix 3-1. River Plate no longer had a manager who wanted to get one over on me in the press, but that didn't help River Plate perform any better against us, as we got a very convincing 4-0 away win.

Next up was a good 2-1 win against the always dangerous Danubio, though they are currently in the midst of a disappointing season. And finally, a slightly more difficult than expected 1-0 win over mid-table Bella Vista. Bryan Rodriguez has been blowing hot and cold a bit too much this season, but with 7 goals in those 5 league games he's definitely hit a hot streak.

We did well in the Copa Libertadores too - Deportivo Tachira didn't seem to present too much of a challenge as we coasted past them 2-0. Flamengo though were expected to be by far the toughest challenge in the group, but to my surprise, an excellent counter-attacking display saw us come away from Flamengo with a 2-0 away win. But with Flamengo teetering on the edge of elimination, they came back strong in the return tie in Uruguay and matched us with a 2-0 away win. Nevertheless, we top the group, and I think one win from our remaining fixtures is probably enough to get us through to the next round. With the home game against Deportivo Tachira still to come, I think we have a really good chance.

[b]1st     Penarol                 9   8   1   0   18  4   +14   25[/b]  
2nd     Fenix                   9   7   1   1   17  8    +9   22  
3rd     Cerro                   9   5   1   3   15  9    +6   16  
4th     Miramar Misiones        9   5   1   3   15  12   +3   16  
5th     Defensor Sporting       9   5   0   4   16  6   +10   15  
6th     Liverpool               9   4   1   4   15  16   -1   13  
7th     Bella Vista             9   4   0   5   10  9    +1   12  
8th     Nacional                9   3   3   3   9   18   -9   12  
9th     Racing de Montevideo    9   3   2   4   13  11   +2   11  
10th    Danubio                 9   3   2   4   14  13   +1   11  
11th    Plaza Colonia           9   3   2   4   8   9    -1   11  
12th    Wanderers               9   3   2   4   9   12   -3   11  
13th    River Plate             9   2   3   4   6   12   -6   9   
14th    Tacuarembo              9   3   0   6   8   18  -10   9   
15th    Atenas de San Carlos    9   1   3   5   10  16   -6   6   
16th    Cerro Largo             9   1   2   6   8   18  -10   5  

[b]1st     Penarol                 4   3   0   1   6   2    +4   9[/b]
2nd     Santo Andre             4   2   1   1   5   4    +1   7
3rd     Flamengo                4   2   0   2   5   3    +2   6
4th     Deportivo Tachira       4   0   1   3   2   9    -7   0

[b]1st     Ghana                   3   2   1   0   6   0    +6   7[/b]
2nd     Mauritania              3   2   0   1   2   4    -2   6
3rd     Algeria                 3   1   1   1   2   2     0   4
4th     Zimbabwe                3   0   0   3   1   5    -4   0

C.A. Peñarol

Uruguay - Primera Division (Closing Stage) - April 2011 Update

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 2nd 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    3   0   Nacional[/b]
Mario Regueiro o.g. (9)
Julio Mozzo (pen 37)
Nicolas Mezquida (59)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group B - April 6th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    4   1   Deportivo Tachira[/b]
Bryan Rodriguez (38)               Angel Martinez (63)
Diego Rodriguez (56)
Cristian Palacios (79)
Angel Perez o.g. (90+2)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 9th 2011[/i]
[b]Liverpool                  1   4   Penarol[/b]
Emiliano Alfaro (78)               Guillermo Rodriguez (16)
                                  Bryan Rodriguez (58, 72)
                                  Jhonathan Ramis (88)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 17th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   0   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Juan Cominges (40)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group B - April 20th 2011[/i]
[b]Santo Andre                1   0   Penarol[/b]
Moraes (8)

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 24th 2011[/i]
[b]Plaza Colonia              1   1   Penarol[/b]
Fabrizio Ronchetti (24)            Cristian Palacios (84)

[i]Copa Libertadores 2nd Round Leg 1 - April 27th 2011[/i]
[b]Atlas                      0   0   Penarol[/b]

[i]Primera Uruguaya Closing Stage - April 30th 2011[/i]
[b]Penarol                    1   1   Cerro[/b]
Nicolas Pagano o.g. (90)           Sergio Suffo (22)

Ghana World Ranking: 19th

Notes: We secured our passage through to the 2nd Round of the Copa Libertadores with a convincing 4-1 win over bottom of the group Deportivo Tachira as expected, and rounded out the group stage with a lackluster 1-0 defeat by Santo Andre. Nevertheless, we ended up top of the group by a single point. That didn't seem to help us too much in the draw for the next round though, as we got a tough tie against Mexican side Atlas for our troubles. But in the away leg, we held them to a 0-0 draw - I'm hoping that our inability to score an away goal doesn't come back to bite us if we end up with a score draw at home.

In the league, we opened with a win over arch-rivals Nacional. It was a fairly easy three points in an easy 3-0 win, though I did have to contend with Juan Ramon Carrasco, the most annoying manager in the league. When at River Plate, he would always try to get one over on me in the press, and the same now he's at Nacional. After we beat them 3-0, with Nacional down in 13th place in the league, and Carrasco's job listed as "very insecure", I couldn't help but have a pop back at him - I told him he still had a lot to learn as a manager. :D

We followed that up with a 4-1 thrashing of Liverpool and a hard fought and very pleasing 1-0 win over Defensor Sporting, and as Fenix's title challenge finally began to falter, we began to pull away - so much so that 1-1 draws against mid-table Plaza Colonia and Cerro were enough for us to canter to our second consecutive Uruguayan title with a game to spare.

[b]1st     Penarol                 14  11  3   0   28  7   +21   36[/b]  
2nd     Fenix                   14  10  2   2   28  15  +13   32  
3rd     Defensor Sporting       14  8   0   6   26  14  +12   24  
4th     Miramar Misiones        14  7   2   5   22  19   +3   23  
5th     Cerro                   14  6   3   5   23  15   +8   21  
6th     Racing de Montevideo    14  5   4   5   17  15   +2   19  
7th     Atenas de San Carlos    14  5   4   5   20  21   -1   19  
8th     Plaza Colonia           14  5   4   5   17  18   -1   19  
9th     Liverpool               14  6   1   7   23  26   -3   19  
10th    Bella Vista             14  5   3   6   13  12   +1   18