The Manchester United Thread 2007/08 - Home of the Champions

Nick OGS20

• Replies 28.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No match thread for tonight?

From ManUtd.com

Rested stars set to returnUnited's squad should be bolstered by the return of four key players for Wednesday's Champions League clash with Lyon.

Sir Alex Ferguson left Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Owen Hargreaves out of Saturday's squad to face Arsenal, and restricted Paul Scholes to a 20-minute runout in the Reds' 4-0 win.

That key quartet should all be in contention to start, however, as United resume their European campaign against the French champions.

"I gave them a rest, although Ronaldo had a bit of a tummy upset," Sir Alex said after Saturday's win. "I was thinking about resting him anyway and perhaps put him on the bench, but when we found out he wasn't well, we decided to give him a complete break.

"The likes of Ryan and Paul Scholes - players with great experience - will play in Lyon on Wednesday. They'll be very important for us."

While United warmed up for Tuesday's trip to France in stunning fashion against Arsenal, Lyon slipped to a shock 1-0 defeat at Le Mans.

Basically I agree on Ronaldo coming in for Park.

But Anderson, Carrickand Fletch did a great job on Sunday. I'm affraid bringing in Scholes and Giggs will slow down our play. I think on sunday that was one of the best midfield performances I've seen so far this season.

Also, I don't think it will boost confidence of Fletch and Nani, being left out after such a great performance.

I'd be happy with a 1 or 2-0 tonight really, with a team looking like...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Rooney

Giggs Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

Evra Vidic Rio Brown

VDS </pre>

But I think you could drop out Carrick and put Tevez in making a 4-4-2

Originally posted by ajw2255:

around 6 or 7m for smith i think

Thats what I thought, I was just thinking of players missing from the "Top transfers out" list.

I thought P.Nev & Butt were more than a couple of mill as well?

Originally posted by Pickles:

I'd be happy with a 1 or 2-0 tonight really, with a team looking like...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Rooney

Giggs Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

Evra Vidic Rio Brown

VDS </pre>

But I think you could drop out Carrick and put Tevez in making a 4-4-2

I'd shove Anderson in for Hargreaves tbh. The boy makes me hard.

Originally posted by Rb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

around 6 or 7m for smith i think

Thats what I thought, I was just thinking of players missing from the "Top transfers out" list.

I thought P.Nev & Butt were more than a couple of mill as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

P Nev was £3.5m and Butt was closer to £4m iirc.

These lists don't really take inflation into account of course. Getting £2m for Dion Dublin in 1994 when he'd hardly kicked a ball for us in 18 months, and when the current transfer record was £5m, was great business.

I wouldn't start Giggs tonight. Only player I would drop from the Arsenal game is Park & bring Ronaldo back in.

We do need a defensive midfielder in there be it Fletcher or Hargreaves I wouldn't mind.

Starting upfront it's a toos up between Rooney & Tevez. Cannot see both playing unless one is shunted into a wide position.

Originally posted by snipersdream:

These lists don't really take inflation into account of course. Getting £2m for Dion Dublin in 1994 when he'd hardly kicked a ball for us in 18 months, and when the current transfer record was £5m, was great business.

indeed. using football's inflationary rate, that's the equivalent to getting just over 19m pounds for him in todays market icon_biggrin.gif

Is there anywhere - terrestrial TV or internet - that i can, and i can't stress this next bit enough, LEGALLY see highlights of tonights game?

Circumstances tonight dictated that I've not got access to Sky or been able to get to a pub this evening.

So help is appreciated if at all poss. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Christ almight, HOW many OTFers will there be at Fulham?

icon_cool.gif

Where's everyone drinking before the game?

And cheers Ryan icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends when people arrive and which way they're coming from. If people get there a couple of hours beforehand then cross Putney bridge and go to one of the ones on the south side of the river which are much nicer. Otherwise there's always O'Neills on Fulham road - I can't imagine it'll be too antagonistic, it's Fulham ffs.

'The Crabtree on Rainville Road (10 minutes from the ground) welcomes all away supporters and as a Fulham season ticket holder I can tell you that as long as you don't watch your football at Loftus Road you can be assured of a warm welcome'. To find this pub go along Stevenage Road away from the Cottage and the away end. On reaching the home end of the ground, turn left along an alley which runs behind the stand. When you reach the River Thames turn right and walk along the riverside path. You will reach the Crabtree on your right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 'The Crabtree on Rainville Road (10 minutes from the ground) welcomes all away supporters and as a Fulham season ticket holder I can tell you that as long as you don't watch your football at Loftus Road you can be assured of a warm welcome'. To find this pub go along Stevenage Road away from the Cottage and the away end. On reaching the home end of the ground, turn left along an alley which runs behind the stand. When you reach the River Thames turn right and walk along the riverside path. You will reach the Crabtree on your right.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the other side of the ground from the tube stop, seems a bit of an effort.

Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Theres a pub just buy the nearest tube stop away fans use. Can't remember the game it isn't far though

The one as you come under the bridge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Think so. If you came out of the doors of the pub you walk up a road then the park bit is there

Did someone say the neutral end and away end aren't segregated?

No segeration between the neutral and away sections so you can just walk into our offical end (which was my plan before I got one from the club). Although the neutral end will be 80% United anyway.

United = P7-P4, neutral = P3-P1 and your ticket is P3 iirc.

I have no clue where I am going pre-game but I'm with 4 mates who have been about 5 times each, so I'm sure they'll know the best pub to go in. Newcastle game is first anyway, spare anyone? icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

**** off pickles you dont deserve any spares let alone to aways. hth.

How many games have you been to this season cunto? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate - my face is red thats how much of a top red i am.

Archived