1GB to 2GB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

I think I have 2 processers

Intel pentium 4 3.0ghz.

Is there a easy way to find this out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

However I expect you'll probably have a Pentium 4 3.0GHZ HT Enabled processor. It's a Single Core capable of processing 2 threads at a time (acts like a Dual Core).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

I think I have 2 processers

Intel pentium 4 3.0ghz.

Chances are you don't.

Windows *thinks* that you have two processors, because the one processor acts like two to spread the workload.

As said above, CPU-Z will tell you pretty quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I have 2 processers

Intel pentium 4 3.0ghz.

Sorry fella I didnt check this thread again after posting my warning about your cash.

Simply go to control panel and open your "systems" icon there. General tab shows what hardware you got on board. Pentium 4 is a pretty old school processor though you got a big one with 3.0ghz. Just do a bit of research before spashing your cash. More Ram might work for you. It wont harm your system having more RAM cards installed but 2gb is lot of RAM for a pentium 4 to get it all working. I also got a pentium 4.

Go to www.crucial.com where they'll scan your system and tell you what you need in terms of the right additional RAM card. I went up to 1gb RAM after buying one of there 512 cards but if you amend your search to a bigger card they'll show in results what you can use.

Its a bit more difficult to add any hardware to a laptop yourself as you've got limited access to what is already packed in there and have to unsrew back as opposed to sliding covers from desktop PC's. I dont know what the implication would be ading 1gb RAM, you might only have one slot which holds the default RAM card.

In the words of Red from Shawshank redemption "you'll have to prise it up to see whats under there".

Just to give another perspective, I've got a 3 and half year old laptop that is a 1.6ghz with 512mb RAM, and I'm running just all the English leagues on a small database. RAM usage averages about 250mb.

The most interesting thing I found was that I've got firefox open with 5 tabs, and its using 80mb of RAM! lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Canny:

With most PC's, the single most effective and simplest way to increase performance is more RAM.

Most systems currently are 1Gb Windows XP systems. Windows XP normally uses at least 512Mb of that just for system processes so even if FM08 is only using 500 it is running extremely close to the limit and anything extra installed could easily run into pageswapping, which as described above is dramatically slower than holding the working data in RAM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm running XP with only 512MB of Ram and according to task manager FM is using up about 250MB of that, but I'm not nearing any "crunching noises" or any other noises coming from my hard drive. I really don't profess to be a computer expert at all, but it just seems strange given your statement above.

Hey Law_Man, if you're not hearing "crunching noises", either you have a really silent hard drive icon_wink.gif or you're not swapping. If you're on a small-db game with only England running, that wouldn't surprise me.

(My small/all England experience was on FM'05, and SI have made a bunch of performance enhancements since then)

The processor between 95%-100% would tell you that your time is getting consumed by the CPU: in other words, your limiting factor is CPU speed, not amount-of-RAM.

This thread is reminding me of the old CM days, where the game would crash if you went too far into the future because the file size was too big.

I think at one point 12 MB was the limit (believe it or not, back then this was a LOT of space!), and if your save game went over 12 MB it would always crash.

Archived