The last kings of Scotland

sherm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Daily Record

Has Murray gone mad?

Today, Glasgow Rangers chairman David Murray shocked the footballing world, as he announced to the waiting media that he intends to build an all Scottish side at Ibrox. Now we understand that Scottish football needs to go back to grass roots, but surely no side from the SPL can win a European trophy without some European players in their team? Yes, Celtic did it, but that was then. In the modern day and age, it could prove to be nigh on impossible

Another setback along the way could be the fact that with the prices of players along the British Isles rising all the time, an Rangers not being the richest club around, they could struggle to attract the cream of Scotland to play for them. Still, we can't deny that it is an interesting idea, and one that could certainly be worth watching out for as it materialises. One wonders though, how will Walter Smith feel about taking on this task?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walter Smith did not wonder though. He threw his newspaper down onto his desk, and uttered a few words of frustration. An all Scottish side? It was impossible. No side could be successful if they were all Scottish. Smith was as patriotic as any man, but he was also a realistic man

He stormed down the corridor to his chairman's office, and when he entered, he got straight to the point

"David, are you mad?"

"No Walter, I'm not. I just think it would be nice to be a front runner in the success of Scottish football"

"So you really think it's possible?"

"Yes I do. Obviously, it will take time, but I do think it can be done. I takle it you don't?"

"To be honest David, no I don't. And I'm afraid that if you insist on this, you shall have to do without me"

"I'm sorry you feel that way Walter, but I am determined to do this"

"That's fine. Good luck with it David, and I'm sure I shall see you soon"

And that was that. Walter Smith packed up his things, left his office, and looked back on Ibrox with a tear in his eye

Daily Record

Has Murray gone mad?

Today, Glasgow Rangers chairman David Murray shocked the footballing world, as he announced to the waiting media that he intends to build an all Scottish side at Ibrox. Now we understand that Scottish football needs to go back to grass roots, but surely no side from the SPL can win a European trophy without some European players in their team? Yes, Celtic did it, but that was then. In the modern day and age, it could prove to be nigh on impossible

Another setback along the way could be the fact that with the prices of players along the British Isles rising all the time, an Rangers not being the richest club around, they could struggle to attract the cream of Scotland to play for them. Still, we can't deny that it is an interesting idea, and one that could certainly be worth watching out for as it materialises. One wonders though, how will Walter Smith feel about taking on this task?

Walter Smith did not wonder though. He threw his newspaper down onto his desk, and uttered a few words of frustration. An all Scottish side? It was impossible. No side could be successful if they were all Scottish. Smith was as patriotic as any man, but he was also a realistic man

He stormed down the corridor to his chairman's office, and when he entered, he got straight to the point

"David, are you mad?"

"No Walter, I'm not. I just think it would be nice to be a front runner in the success of Scottish football"

"So you really think it's possible?"

"Yes I do. Obviously, it will take time, but I do think it can be done. I takle it you don't?"

"To be honest David, no I don't. And I'm afraid that if you insist on this, you shall have to do without me"

"I'm sorry you feel that way Walter, but I am determined to do this"

"That's fine. Good luck with it David, and I'm sure I shall see you soon"

And that was that. Walter Smith packed up his things, left his office, and looked back on Ibrox with a tear in his eye

Just a few housekeeping notes. Having seen the many attempts at a Lisbon Lions challenge, I had been contemplating giving it a go myself. Finally, I've got round to posting it icon_smile.gif

Game is being played on FM08, patch 8.0.1, with all Scottish Leagues loaded and the top leagues from England and Spain. I opted for Rangers as they are my favourite Scottish side, so hopefully, it will be a success

Hope you all enjoy icon_smile.gif

"Yes, I am 100% certain you're the man for the job. You know the club, and I believe the club knows you"

"..."

"Come down to the ground tomorrow, we'll sign all the paperwork and I'll comfirm you to the press"

"..."

"OK. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow Gordon"

David Murray hung up the phone, and a smile spread from ear to ear. He felt that appointing a former Rangers hero, in Gordon Durie, he could really get the players and staff on board. Some of them had really shown an excitement for the new challenge ahead, particularly Ally McCoist, who had agreed to remain on as assistant manager at the club. Murray was sure that he would be delighted to see his old team-mate back at the club

---

The next day, when everything was finalised, Gordon Durie was keen to meet his staff and players. In the end, he had to settle for a meeting with his assistant and former team-mate, and the reunion of the two was something that had been seven years in the making

"Jukebox. Long time no see"

"Coisty. How are you?"

"I'm not so bad. I'm back at Ibrox, back in the game. Why wouldn't I be happy? How are you?"

"Brilliant. I think me and you could make a prosperous team here, and I think David's proposed all-Scottish team could work well"

"Me too. Now, shall we get down to business"

"Certainly. So what have we got in the squad?"

"A mixture, but some good young Scottish talent"

My favourite challenge, with my favourite team. Good luck, can be a fun game this, would have been even more interesting on FM07 retaining all Scots players I've discovered (well in my Avenue game at least) that for some reason Standard Life produce amazing kids _ might be worth a look on 08?

Cheers Murrayzoster icon_smile.gif

And PM7, I shall have to look into that icon_smile.gif

---

Durie and McCoist spent a good three hours discussing the squad, their aims for the next season, and how they felt they could do with the players at their disposal

In between the sticks, it was a straight fight between Allan McGregor, the man who looked odds on for the number one jersey, and Northern Ireland international Roy Carroll, who they had decided would not be at the club beyond the first season, and another Scottish 'keeper was needed by Durie

In defence, it was mainly a Scottish backbone, but unfortunately, it seemed that the best defender was Spanish centre back Carlos Cuellar. Durie felt the best candidate to partner him at the back was Kirk Broadfoot, who was quite a classy defender, and with him still being young, he had a lot to offer. Their back-ups would be Andy Webster, the big lad on loan from Wigan, and Frenchman Brahim Hemdani, but Durie had earmarked another centre back as a precaution. On either side of the central defenders, their were Scottish options, with Alan Hutton the main choice at right back. He was a top class defender, and had attracted interest from several Premiership clubs, but he had a more than able deputy in Steven Whittaker. However, the left hand side was a problem, with the only current option, Steven Smith, out injured for four months, so that was a priority position to be sorted out

The midfield had strength in depth, with two Scots earmarked for the main positions in the centre of midfield, as club captain Barry Ferguson and former Hibs midfielder Kevin Thomson, but there was only on loan Charlton midfielder Amdy Faye as their back-up. Durie's plan was to play three midfielders behind the lone striker, and his main options looked like being Steven Naismith and Charlie Adam on the wings, but the other options were Chris Burke on the right, with former Wigan man Lee McCulloch and American DaMarcus Beasley on the left hand side

In terms of strikers, there were two main options. Scotland international Kris Boyd was a man who McCoist rated very highly, but Durie was a bit more keen on Gabon international Daniel Cousin, although he would only be at the club for 12 months maximum

Durie was fairly happy with his squad, but he felt that a few more options were needed to bolster the team. The policy was to buy only Scottish players, and the scouts were sent to all corners of the country to find the best players available to them

Pre-Season 2007

Durie and McCoist were busy men in the pre-season period, with transfer activity a constant, and four pre-arranged friendlies the chance to assess the squad and see which youngsters were up to scratch. Several non Scottish players were listed for transfer, including Nacho Novo, Sasa Papac, Thomas Buffel, Jean-Claude Darcheville and Filip Sebo, and with just £1,500,000 before the sale of players, there wasn't much room for players coming in

Three games in Israel had been the first chance for Durie to see his new team in action, and the opening game of the tour saw them face Bnei Sakhnin. The two all draw was not what was important, but the performance was what counted, at least after the opening ten minutes, as a double from Cohen put Rangers behind. The quality of Durie's side shone through eventually, and goals from skipper Barry Ferguson and youngster Steven Lennon were enough to give Durie's side a draw.

After the match, there were two new additions to the Rangers squad, as one of Durie's former team mates at Ibrox joined up for a second spell. Charlie Miller was a man who could play anywhere across the midfield, and for £500,000 from Belgian side Lierse, Durie felt it could be a useful signing for his side. Another £500,000 was also spent on Falkirk defender Thomas Scobbie, who was highly rated among the Scottish coaches.

In between a 2-0 win against Hacoan Amidar and a 3-2 defeat to Hapoel Nazareth-Ilit, there were five more transfers coming into Ibrox. However, the money for these was funded by the sale of several players. Papac and Buffel went to Wigan for a combined fee of £4,500,000, while £5,000,000 came in from the sale of Darcheville, Novo and Sebo. The players coming in were 16 year old midfielder James McCarthy, from Hamilton, while two Mark's joined the ranks, Mark Archdeacon and Marc Fitzpatrick, both from Motherwell. David Clarkson became the third signing from Fir Park, while Hibs midfielder Steven Notman joined on loan

All these players were in the squad for the final pre-season game, which saw a 0-0 draw with French side Toulouse, and Durie was happy with the way his squad had built up to the opening game of the season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sherm:

American DaMarcus Beasley on the left hand side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, a pity "Run DMB" isn't Scottish. You've got an American Bear watching with interest here. Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

My favourite challenge, with my favourite team. Good luck, can be a fun game this, would have been even more interesting on FM07 retaining all Scots players I've discovered (well in my Avenue game at least) that for some reason Standard Life produce amazing kids _ might be worth a look on 08? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interestingly, they are not in the 2007 Db. Then I remembered that I created the Avenue save using the Weegie update. Oh well anyway, if you do find anything 'interesting' about it, let us know icon_wink.gif

Cheers all, hope the interest stays with you

---

It had been more than ten years since Gordon Durie had stepped onto the Ibrox turf, and when he led his Rangers side out for their European Cup qualifier with Maltese side Marsaxlokk, it sent a shiver down his spine. He sat in the dugout with his coaching staff to watch his side control the game against what can only be described as a very poor side. They were two ahead within the opening five minutes, Kris Boyd hitting a brace, and before the half hour was passed, Beasley and Ferguson had made the game safe. Ferguson's goal was something that could be cherished, a lovely sixteen pass move that ended with a beautiful one two between Thomson and Boyd, who laid it off for the captain to curl home. It was the perfect performance to start the campaign with, and an ideal start to Durie's reign, and even Kris Boyd's missed penalty couldn't dampen the spirits of the Ibrox camp

After the win, Durie allowed himself a little celebratory beer, but he knew that one game didn't change a season. He also knew his side had less than 48 hours to prepare for their opening game in the SPL, which would see his side face off against a mid table side in Inverness. Before that though, he had a meeting with his scouts, and in this he planned to discuss the best options for the winter transfer window

"What about Robson, from Dundee? He can play across the midfield, might be useful"

"The best place to look is at the under 21's. If youngsters are brought through, it gives us a platform for the future"

"Well we need other places to scout. There's one situation that we're all forgetting though. The money. It's a little hard to come by, even with the transfers out we've had"

Inverness Caley Thistle were not a really big threat to Rangers, but Durie knew it could be a bad thing to underestimate their ability, especially in front of their own fans. His side didn't let him down though, and from the first blow of the referee's whistle, they controlled the match. Chances fell to Boyd, McCulloch and Burke, but it was Burke who opened the scoring on 37 minutes, powering into the box and firing across the 'keeper and into the bottom corner. The home side came back into it in the second half, with Marius Niculae twice testing Allan McGregor, but substitute Daniel Cousin hit a brace in the final ten minutes to seal the points

Spav, Wimb, thanks for the support icon14.gif

---

After two good wins against opposition no better than mediocre, Gordon Durie was ready for his side's second leg against Maltese opponents Marsaxlokk. Despite being 4-0 ahead, there was no chance of him taking it too easy, and seven first team players took to the field. However, with DaMarcus Beasley rested, Lee McCulloch took his chance, opening the scoring on seven minutes after a neat move involving four players, and he slotted it neatly into the corner. He scored the second, but he had to wait until the first minute of the second half for that, with himself, Cousin, Burke and Naismith all missing good first half openings, but when McCulloch rounded the 'keeper for a 6-0 aggregate scoreline, it mattered not. The were two more goals in the second half, both headers and both from inswinging Chris Burke corners. The first came from Brahim Hemdani, as he rose highest to power home, before Andy Webster's 84th minute goal, as he found space to place his free ehader right into the top corner. A second 4-0 score and the eight goal aggregate win didn't flatter Durie's side, and he was pleased to be progressing through to the next stage

In football though, good news seems to be followed by bad news, and just 48 hours before his side were due to play their next game, he recieved some of the worst news he could have recieved

"I'm sorry Gordon, there's nothing I can do. It's a minimum of three months"

"Damn it. It's definately a tear?"

"Yes. Kris is as upset as you but he will be out until Christmas"

Kris Boyd had torn his groin muscle, an injury that could keep him out for up to four months, so Gordon had no choice but to play Daniel Cousin for the visit of St. Mirren to Ibrox. The visitors never really got a sniff throughout the match, and when Cousin opened the scoring for the match after 8 minutes, it was almost game over. DaMarcus Beasley doubled the advantage on 26 minutes, as he hit a left footed volley from the edge of the box that flew past the 'keeper into the bottom corner. Chances came and went, Beasley, Cousin, Miller and a header from Webster that rattled the bar, but a silly defensive mistake on 56 minutes led to the goal that secured the match, as Cousin was felled in the box, before Steven Naismith stepped up and strolled the ball into the goal for a second 3-0 win in the SPL

More European action followed the win against the Buddies, but with Kris Boyd out, it meant that Durie's side were a striker down, so his scouts had been sent all across the country to find a replacement Scottish striker. However, he knew that their next game was what to be focused on, and a trip to Greece to face AEK Athens would test his side's capabilities to the fullest. Cousin took his place up the top of the pitch, while the three men behind him formed a defensive style more so than attacking, in the hope that they could snatch an away goal. To be fair, they were the better side, and it looked like the best chance of the match had gone when Cousin blazed over from 8 yards after beating his man. The Gabonese striker made amends though, and he was played through by Steve Naismith on 64 minutes, before he fired hard and low across the 'keeper to give his side the crucial away goal. The home side were the better side after this, and they created a couple of clear cut chances, but Durie was pelased to see his side hold on for the 1-0 win

"So how much would they want?"

"£2-3 million. I do think he's worth it. He's young, hungry, talented and would fit in well when Daniel leaves"

"I don't want to spend that much money yet, I think I'll wait until January. Is there no cheaper options?"

"Not any decent ones no. There's a few youngsters we've got though"

"Oh. Like...?"

"Steven Lennon. Quick, agile, knows where the net is. Besty one we've got is John Fleck. Even though he's 16, he could play first team football easily"

"OK. Well keep your eye on him Coisty and I'll see how things go"

With Ally McCoist keeping his eyes on the youngsters, Durie kept his attention on the senior team, and the visit of Falkirk. By the time the final whistle had blown, Rangers had recorded 31 shots on goal. Sounds good, but the fact that there were no goals to show for it was the bad thing. Cousin, Naismith, Beasley all missed chances, but the best of the lot fell to substitute Mark Archdeacon, as he beat his three men, before firing straight into the hands of the 'keeper. The goalless draw was nothing to be proud of, and Falkirk came away delighted with their point

With John Fleck impressing in the reserves more and more, he was drafted into the first team squad when Mark Archdeacon picked up a knock, and the young lad could not contain his excitement at his first tast of senior action. He had a smile on his face the whole trip, and even when he sat on the bench, watching the rest of the team run out to face Kilmarnock, he could not stop smiling. Within a minute, both Gordon Durie and Ally McCoist had smiles on the faces, as Chris Burke continued his excellent recent form by curling home from 12 yards. The flame haired winger continued this torment of the defenders, as he whipped in cross after cross, and eventually, he found the perfect one, as Steven Naismith met it at the back post and doubled the lead right on the half time interval. This goal proved to be enough to secure the win, and the home side didn't help their own cause when Wright got himself sent off after 59 minutes, but it probably wouldn't have made much difference anyway, but the 2-0 win saw a seventh successive clean sheet

There was little time for restbite though, and Gordon Durie prepared his team for the biggest game of their short season thus far, as AEK Athens travelled to Scotland for the game that would determine which side advanced into the group stages. The first half was packed with action, with both 'keepers kept busy, but unfortunately for Rangers and Gordon Durie, it was a controversial decision by the Spanish referee that cost them, as Kirk Broadfoot was adjudged to have brought down Oikonomidis in the area, and right on half time, captain Trainios Dellas stepped up and fired the spot kick home. This sent the home side into a state of shock, and they were firmly on the back foot when striker Oikonomidis slotted home underneath Allan McGregor. This meant that Durie's side needed two goals, and though they pushed and pushed, they could not find the goals they needed, and going down to a 2-0 defeat meant they would have to settle for UEFA Cup action

"Gordon, how do you feel about that penalty decision?"

"Outraged. It was a scandalous decision. Kirk was nowhere near the lad, and he's in tears in the locker room. It was never a penalty and it's cost us dearly"

"Do you think you can pick your players up?"

"I know I can, but it is just so frustrating to see one decision cost us a Champions League place. There's nothing can be done about it now though, and we're just going to focus on the games ahead"

August 2007 Summary

(SPL unless stated)

(Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round, 1st Leg)

Rangers 4-0 Marsaxlokk

Boyd (1,4) Beasley (12) Ferguson (29)

Inverness C.T 0-3 Rangers

Burke (37) Cousin (80,90+1)

(Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round, 2nd Leg)

Marsaxlokk 0-4 Rangers

McCulloch (7,46) Hemdani (49) Webster (84)

Rangers 3-0 St. Mirren

Cousin (6) Beasley (26) Naismith (pen 58)

(Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round, 1st Leg)

AEK Athens 0-1 Rangers

Cousin (64)

Rangers 0-0 Falkirk

Kilmarnock 0-2 Rangers

Burke (1) Naismith (45) ; Wright s/o (59)

(Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round, 2nd Leg)

Rangers 0-2 AEK Athens

Dellas (45) Oikonomidis (64)

Cheers lads. The Athens result was so frustrating but hopefully I can re-create Rangers UEFA cup run of this year icon_smile.gif

---

The players were all highly upset about the result against AEK, many of them were still infuriated about the decision to give the penalty. It had affected Kirk Broadfoot more than most, and after a few days Gordon decided it was time to pull the defender to one side to have a quiet word with him

"Kirk, can I have a word?"

"Aye. What's up boss?"

"Stop fretting over the penalty. There's nothing you can do about it now, so stop worrying"

"It cost us the game though..."

"Let me stop you there. No it didn't. It was a team performance that cost us a place in the group stages. Now you are one of my first choice centre backs. Can you forget the game and be the defender I know you can be?"

"Sure thing boss"

Broadfoot went away with a slight hint of relief on his face, but Gordon had no hesitation putting him in the centre of defence alongside Andy Webster for the game against Gretna. The newly promoted side had started fairly well, and having picked up a couple of good results, they were full or confidence. Durie was surprised by how well they played against his much more illustrious players, and going in goalless at half time was a blessing, as the visitors had just shaded the play. It was their own undoing though in the second half, and they shot themselves in the foot on 52 minutes, Jenkins bringing down Steven Whittaker and earning a second yellow card. This allowed Rangers to grab a stranglehold on the game, and when Gretna's playmaker Fabian Yantorno was dismissed for a reckless lunge on 66 minutes, it was destined to be three points to the Ibrox faithful. It took a 78th minute Daniel Cousin goal, but that was enough for the win

The non Scottish players in the team were few and far between, with five in the first team squad, but only Cuellar, Cousin and Beasley were the main first team players. It would be a blow to lose Cuellar, who was a very classy centre back, and Cousin and Beasley were both established internationals, but Gordon knew that was the situation when he took the job. The next test was looking to be tough, as a rip to Tynecastle to face Hearts could provide their first blip. Fortunately, that wasn't to be the case, and a goal at the end of each half from Cousin and Broadfoot (one which brought a toothy grin) gave Gordon Durie and his side a 2-0 win and sent them top of the table for the first time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Daily Record

Ibrox take-over on the horizon?

Rumours are circulating today that Rangers chairman David Murray is all set to sell his stake in Rangers to Scottish business man Jason McCormack. McCormack has made no secret of his desire to buy the Glasgow club, but it remains to be seen whether Murray will sell up

The teake-over, should it happen, would provide a few interesting questions for the backroom staff and players at Ibrox. Murray had expressed his wish for an all Scottish side at Ibrox, but the new owner may not necessarily want that. It would be unlikely that Gordon Durie would be sacked, given the start he's made, but he may have until the end of the season to prove his worth

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gordon Durie was in shock. He picked up the paper, and walked straight into his chairman's office, before dropping the paper in front of David Murray

"Is it true?"

"Well he's made an offer, yes"

"Are you going to accept it?"

"I'm meeting with him later this week, to discuss a few things, but at the minute, I'm seriously considering it"

"Why? I thought you loved this job?"

"I do, but I can't provide you with the funds you need to advance the club"

The converstaion between chairman and manager went on for several hours, and Durie was asked to keep it in strictest confidence. As hard as this was, he kept his word, even when sat next to assistant Ally McCoist on the flight to Ukraine, for their UEFA Cup first round game with Metalist Nicholls. The game itself was not much to write home about, and it was relatively easy for Rangers, as Daniel Cousin continued his fine form with a hat-trick, an the three away goals would prove to be enough to send Rangers through

Three days later, and one day after David Murray's meeting, the new owner of the club was confirmed. McCormack was a 32 year old who had made his living through manufacturing and selling tyres, and at such a young age he was worth over £100,000,000. He was to be introduced to the Ibrox crowd before the game with Aberdeen, but he had asked to meet the staff after the game. Many of the fans were excited about the new era, and the players started it off in perfect fashion. James McCarthy's first senior goal opened the scoring after 7 minutes, before Steven Naismith sealed it less than a minute into the second half, and it was seven successive SPL clean sheets for Durie and his side

"Gordon, I can assure you, you will have money to spend. However much you need, you can have it"

"OK. What about the all Scottish team? Have you any problems with that?"

"Not at all. I'm as patriotic a Scotsman as anybody, and I think it's a good idea"

"And I'm fully in charge of team affairs?"

"Absolutely, 100%. You are the man with the football knowledge"

"That's good. Well Mr. McCormack, I am pleased to be working for you. Welcome to Ibrox"

"Thankyou Gordon. And please, call me Jason"

Durie was happy with his new chairman, and he had no problems if the new man kept his word. The whole club had a sense of excitement around, and with a League Cup tie against Hamilton the next game on the calendar, it allowed Durie to rest a few players. Despite being one of the better sides in the First Division, the home side were outplayed from first to last, and first half goals from Carlos Cuellar and Steven Notman, before Lee McCulloch's second half sealed it. Even Amdy Faye's silly sending odd couldn't put a dampener on proceedings, and they comfortably advanced to the next round.

Thankfully, there were a few days for the players to rest up, and after 13 games thus far this season, the rest was welcome for the regulars, giving Gordon a fully fit squad to choose from for the televised game with Motherwell. This didn't seem to make much difference, as the home side were really up for the game, and after three minutes, they were in front, on loan striker Lewis Grabban notching the first goal in the against column for Rangers. This woke up Durie's side, and two goals in the final five minutes of the half sent them in front, with an own goal first, then Chris Burke's stunning volley right on the whistle. This should have been enough for the win, but Motherwell had other ideas, and Danny Pugh rescued a point for them in the 70th minute, giving Rangers their second draw of the season

September 2007 Summary

(SPL unless stated)

Rangers 1-0 Gretna

Cousin (78) ; Jenkins s/o (52) Yantorno s/o (66)

Hearts 0-2 Rangers

Cousin (43) Broadfoot (90+2)

(UEFA Cup 1st Round)

Metalist Nicholls 0-3 Rangers

Cousin (42,54,86)

Rangers 2-0 Aberdeen

McCarthy (7) Naismith (46)

(Scottish League Cup 3rd Round)

Hamilton 0-4 Rangers

Cuellar (6) Notman (36) McCulloch (60,90+2) Faye s/o (80)

Motherwell 2-2 Rangers

Grabban (3) Pugh (70) ; McLean O.G (40) Burke (45)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Holders - Celtic

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Rangers | | 8 | 6 | 2 | 0 | 15 | 2 | +13 | 20 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Celtic | | 8 | 6 | 1 | 1 | 18 | 3 | +15 | 19 |

| 3rd | | Hibernian | | 7 | 5 | 0 | 2 | 12 | 4 | +8 | 15 |

| 4th | | Aberdeen | | 8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 12 | 9 | +3 | 14 |

| 5th | | Motherwell | | 8 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 12 | 9 | +3 | 12 |

| 6th | | Falkirk | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 7 | 5 | +2 | 11 |

| 7th | | Inverness CT | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 14 | -1 | 11 |

| 8th | | Dundee Utd | | 8 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 11 | 14 | -3 | 9 |

| 9th | | Kilmarnock | | 7 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 7 | 11 | -4 | 8 |

| 10th | | Gretna | | 8 | 2 | 1 | 5 | 6 | 13 | -7 | 7 |

| 11th | | Hearts | | 7 | 0 | 1 | 6 | 6 | 16 | -10 | 1 |

| 12th | | St. Mirren | | 7 | 0 | 1 | 6 | 1 | 20 | -19 | 1 |

</pre>

"Not a bad start eh Coisty?"

"Aye, couldn't have gotten much better. What do you think of this new chairman?"

"I like him. He seems pretty genuine, and he's keen on the all Scottish idea"

"Good stuff. Now, I've got a list of recommendations from the scouts"

"OK. Any decent ones?"

"Well as you know, I'm a massive Steven Fletcher fan, and he's banging them in for Hibs. Might cost a fair bit to get him though"

"Well a strikers what we need really, so maybe it'd be worth it. Anyone else?"

"Christophe Berra at Hearts. Under 21 regular, and he is highly talented. Again, might cost a bit, but well worth it. Also, Stevie Caldwell at Burnley. Cheaper option than Berra, more experienced, may be worth a look"

"OK. I'm keen on Barry Robson, I think he should be a buy in January. Any more midfielders?"

"Craig Beattie at West Brom. Can't get a start there, and even though he's ex-Celtic, definately worth a look"

There were even more players on the list, and McCoist and Durie were sat there for hours. They narrowed the list down to targets that were definately reachable, and they had every intention of pursuing those players

Before the January transfer window though, they had the second leg of their UEFA Cup tie against Metalist to focus on. After the 3-0 win in the Ukraine, it would need a stunning collapse for them not to go through, and Durie was confident that a few players could be rested. When Kirk Broadfoot headed home after 8 minutes, there was no doubt that it was game over, but on the night, it should have been a lot more than 1-0 at half time. Archdeacon, Adam, Miller and Whittaker all missed chances, and it wasn't until two goals in three second half minutes that the relaxed attitude could come into play, as first DaMarcus Beasley (with his first touch) and Amdy Faye sent Rangers into the group stage of the competition with ease

One of the possible targets for Rangers in the January window was on the side of their opponents for their next game, as Hibernian made their way to Ibrox. They were sitting in third place in the SPL table for one reason and one reason only, as Steven Fletcher had grabbed ten of their twelve League goals, so he was the threat that Durie and McCoist were worried about. David Clarkson started his first game in a Rangers shirt after some impressive recent displays, and he stated his case for a regular spot by opening the scoring on nine minutes, after recieving the pass from Naismith and curling into the bottom corner. This should have been the signal for Rangers to push on, but Hibs were the better side from that, and deservedly pulled level from the penalty spot, and none other than Steven Fletcher rolled the penalty home. The lead was regained a minute before half time, Cousin slotting McCulloch through and the Scottish international dinked it gently over the onrushing 'keeper. The second half was all Rangers, and goals from the two Steven's, Whittaker and Naismith, sealed a 4-1 victory and kept the side rolling into the derby game

"Come on the 'Gers, 2-1, Cousin double"

"4-0 Rangers, hat-trick to Naismith"

"Celtic win 1-0, Magic Maciej with the goal. Come on you Bhoys"

"4-3 Celtic, Hesselink and Zurawski two each"

"2-0 to the blue half, Burke and Cousin"

The fans were geared up for the match, and in the days leading up to the game, there were people chatting in the streets, talk shows on the radio and television, and people predicting the score all over. Even Gordon Strachan wanted a piece of the hype before the game

"Rangers have started well under Durie, but this is there first real test. I'm confident that we can triumph and end their unbeaten start to the season. They are taking a big risk with this all Scottish thing, and although it's commendable, it won't bring success overnight"

There was no response from the Rangers management, as they decided to let their players do the talking on the pitch, which is exactly what they did. The first twenty minutes were fairly even, with both Artur Boruc and Allan McGregor being tested, but it was Charlie Miller who set the tone, as he stepped up and fired home a 25 yard free-kick, leaving Boruc with no chance and giving Rangers a priceless lead. Celtic seemed to take this badly, and seven minutes into the second half, David Clarkson doubled the lead, firing home the loose ball after a scramble in the box, and that was to prove to be enough the give Rangers the honours in the first Old Firm game of the season, and delighting the Ibrox faithful

The UEFA Cup group had seen Rangers handed a tough one, with Tottenham, Getafe and Nurnberg all established European sides, while even Dnipro could prove to be a tough test, but the toughest of the lot was the first one that Rangers faced, as they travelled to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham. For the first half an hour or so, Paul Robinson was the busiest of the two goalkeepers, as he was forced to save efforts from Cousin, Clarkson and Naismith, but the extra quality in the Spurs team shone through, and Jermaine Jenas slotted them in front on 42 minutes, after Berbatov had slid him in. This was a big blow to concede the goal just before half time, and it proved to be a big boost for the home side, and though Rangers toiled hard, Steed Malbranque's 83rd minute goal was enough to give Spurs the win. The only good thing for Rangers was that they had three more games to try and qualify, so it wasn't all that a bad result, and the performance had been decent enough

After the defeat to Spurs, Durie and McCoist weren't overly concerned, as they had faith in their players, and those players had a televised SPL game to focus on for their next task, which would see a trip to face the orange clad Dundee United. When they wanted to be, they could give any side a run for their money, but their recent form had been a little sketchy, so Durie was confident his team could prevail. David Clarkson kept his place after his recent run, and it was his pass that allowed DaMarcus Beasley to round the 'keeper and slot into the empty goal. The home side got themselves level ten minutes later, as Jordan Robertson headed home, but a second half goal from Chris Burke gave another three points to the Ibrox side, and kept them top of the table with a gap from second too, so Durie was relatively happy with his side's progress so far this season

October 2007 Summary

(SPL unless stated)

(UEFA Cup 1st Round)

Rangers 3-0 Metalist Nicholls

Broadfoot (8) Beasley (58) Faye (60)

Rangers 4-1 Hibernian

Clarkson (9) McCulloch (44) Whittaker (80) Naismith (87) ; Fletcher (pen 25)

Rangers 2-0 Celtic

Miller (24) Clarkson (52)

(UEFA Cup Group D)

Tottenham 2-0 Rangers

Jenas (42) Malbranque (83)

Dundee Utd 1-2 Rangers

Robertson (40) ; Beasley (30) Burke (69)

"David? Gordon Durie at Rangers. I'm just phoning to enquire about one of your players"

"..."

"No. Iain Turner. How much would you want?"

"..."

"I was thinking more about £3,000,000 at the most"

"I understand that, but he doesn't play for you regularly, so I was hoping you wouldn't mind"

"..."

"OK. £3.3 Mill, and a 10% sell on clause. Will he want to come down to Ibrox?"

"..."

"No problem, I'll contact his agent. Nice doing business with you"

Durie was pleased to be on the way to securing the transfer of a Scottish 'keeper to back up the so far impressive Allan McGregor, and Iain Turner looked like the perfect choice. Having money at his disposal was a godsend for Gordon Durie, and he knew that January could be a key month for his side. For now though, he had to focus on his side's next match, which would see Inverness Caley Thistle make the trip to Ibrox. It was another SPL game that proved to be too easy for Rangers, as seemed to be the case quite often this season, and goals from Charlie Miller, who converted the penalty won by Naismith, and Daniel Cousin were enough for the win, but the 2-0 scoreline should have been more like 5 or 6, as chances galore fell to Durie's side, and Inverness owed it to their 'keeper that the scoreline was just 2-0. The form of Durie's side thus far was that od champions, and there was no doubt that they would be crowned champions if they kept up their winning ways throughout the season

• 3 weeks later...

Archived