full backs "tucking in"

hi have a problem with my full backs tucking in a lot-i.e staying in the box with my cb's instead of closing down the crosser.

this is extremely annoying and the amount of goals i concede is crazy.

is there any way of stopping this or is it purely related to the decisions stat??

They like to tuck in even if you play fairly wide.

The most ssure-fire way is to go to their instructions every game and set their marking to specific - and choose the relevant winger.

If youd take this option you have to be vigilant with regard to formation changes - for instance if the oppo switch from a 4-4-2 to 4-2-4, your FBs marking assignments will switch to the opposition FBs, not to the wide STs.

If the opposition wingers are set to swap positions, this won't mess up your marking, but if the winger is, for instance, a LM/ST then he may simply be moved to a new position during the game - and you might not realise until you see your RB trying to make tackles on your left flank.

You could also use the OIs and put the oppo wingers on "close down always," but, depending on your tactics, this can really mess with your team's defensive structure.

nothing you can do about it. the game is poorly designed.

If you're here to complain about the game, please take it to one of the more appropriate forums. If you want to contribute constructively, you could actually do that in the Bugs Forum by making your observations why you think areas of the game are poorly designed, along with how you think they could be improved upon.

"you could actually do that in the Bugs Forum by making your observations why you think areas of the game are poorly designed, along with how you think they could be improved upon."

Yes, and we could actually make the whole game instead of SI, right? :)

Pointless ranting is definitely not good but it's brighter than the sun that there are serious issues with the ME. (Don't even get me started on the 'oh yeah, you just don't know how it works so stfu' stuff. If one has to play this game 24/7 to even understand the basics, then that's the problem with it.)

Furthermore, the game should've been properly tested.

Crossing, corner taking, passing 16+ players can't keep their corners on the pitch at least 6 times out of 10. Bug.

Technically gifted players keep dribbling the ball out to the touch, or over the goal line when under no pressure at all. Bug.

That's 2 silly and gameplay-destructive error. I didn't need to play more than 1 or 2 hours to see these stupid errors. Quite clear that they didn't bother to have it tested properly.

If you're here to complain about the game, please take it to one of the more appropriate forums. If you want to contribute constructively, you could actually do that in the Bugs Forum by making your observations why you think areas of the game are poorly designed, along with how you think they could be improved upon.

thats not me complaining, i just answered the op. he asked what could be done, and i answered nothing, they will still tuck in. the reason for that happening?that area of the game was badly designed or coded or however you want to put it.

Mine dont tuck in as much its your marking setup :thdn:

Agreed. My fullbacks do tuck in when appropriate (although I do recall that the AI has a problem tucking its fullbacks in properly - perhaps down to choosing tactics from a list again?). When appropriate seems to be a result of whether or not there is cover from the winger tracking back and whether I have given them instructions to keep them within covering range of the central defence.

I play a fairly wide system with a man-marking back 4, man-marking wingers and Mcd, a zonal MCa and zonal strikers. Pressing is usually set fairly high (mentality +4 or so, with the MCd's being higher still as I want him to cover my fullbacks when they get forward). OI closing down on wingers and fullbacks of the opposition will also limit the threat from the flanks, at the risk of making the centre more vulnerable.

An alternative way to keep spacing between defenders is to use a zonal defence with fairly high pressing and choose quite a decent width. This might leave your central defence exposed though so ensure that your midfield is tracking runners.

If I want to ensure the opposition winger has lots of time and space, I use OI close down always on the striker on that side. The fullback will be pulled inside by that OI and help cover the central defender (as will the other central defender...), leaving the opposition winger with the freedom of the wing unless my own winger or central midfield is covering this. Using OI close down always on players can cause big problems for your team unless you are making it as a conscious decision knowing the impact it will have on how your team will defend.

It's helpful not to think of your defence as being your keeper plus four defenders, but the entire 11 players on the pitch and starting to figure out how best to get a jigsaw with 11 pieces to cover the opposition's attacks best.

the problem is that defenses dont shift in fm as they do in real life.

for example the opposition attacks down their right. our left back goes left to close down, however the 2 cd dont shift instead they stay inside and mark the forwards even though man marking is unticked, but the right back does shift and goes inside the area, thus creating massive defensive holes.

when the opposition right winger crosses it and the cross goes all the way to the other side, and now the oppostion left winger has the ball and is ready to cross it, our right back who tucked in doesnt bother to go close him instead acts as a cd because he already is in the 16 yard area.

thats what the op meant. nothing to do the instructions you give, its the fb acting as a cd when inside the penalty area and not bothering to go back wide again.

I do agree that I'd like to see different movement from defenders defending from wide balls - primarily because I love Sacchi's principles for defending. And I'd certainly agree it's almost impossible to get Sacchi-esque defending in game (control of lateral movement of players being my hobby horse). Is that how you like your players to defend too?

A classic example of typical fullback positioning in the English game was provided by tracking John O'Shea (so a decent standard positionally I'd say) during Messi's goal against Manchester United in the Champion's League Final last season. The reason for this positioning is to help defend against what is known as the Position of Maximum Opportunity - the theory expounded by Hughes and Reep that a disproportionate amount of goals were scored from that area around the far post. That's what the game seems to be factoring in. To keep him wide, you have to use OI and/or man-mark the winger specifically with the fullback, which is obviously a very blunt tool for the job.

the problem is that defenses dont shift in fm as they do in real life.

for example the opposition attacks down their right. our left back goes left to close down, however the 2 cd dont shift instead they stay inside and mark the forwards even though man marking is unticked, but the right back does shift and goes inside the area, thus creating massive defensive holes.

when the opposition right winger crosses it and the cross goes all the way to the other side, and now the oppostion left winger has the ball and is ready to cross it, our right back who tucked in doesnt bother to go close him instead acts as a cd because he already is in the 16 yard area.

thats what the op meant. nothing to do the instructions you give, its the fb acting as a cd when inside the penalty area and not bothering to go back wide again.

What you are describing is a common defensive error called "ball watching". Happens even at the highest level of football.

I don't really blame the players when they have million dollar contracts guaranteeing their retirement. I'd think more about how to spend my wages after the game then concentrating on the dude lurking behind me. :D

Archived