• way too many red cards

Mcfc1894
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

Feels like every game week there is a red card in a match my last 2 matches 

Screenshot (116).png

Screenshot (115).png

Screenshot (114).png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Id add to this with yellow cards too - getting tons of them (as well as red cards) 

I have 37 yellows after 12 games, 2 reds. next highest in the league is at 30, then 27 and down.

• Administrators

After an extensive investigation of the red card frequency in game, we can conclude that the frequency is at a similar level to real life.

If you still believe this is an issue, we will need more examples and information.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Wong said:

After an extensive investigation of the red card frequency in game, we can conclude that the frequency is at a similar level to real life.

If you still believe this is an issue, we will need more examples and information.

Thanks.

I have no examples as I ended up switching the game off after getting 2 more red cards out of 5 with get stuck in OFF therefore it won't show additional red cards and penalties but I provided information on this in another thread had I saved my game. My statistics would be:

RED CARDS

8 Red Cards in 38 games in my save.

I know it's compared over multiple top leagues, but if you were to compare it to PL stats over 38 games in real life:

1st: Everton - 6 Red Cards
    2nd: Arsenal - 4 Red Cards

1st: Brighton - 6 Red Cards

1st: Arsenal - 5 Red Cards

Don't forget that 6 red cards is the MOST over the past couple of seasons irl. 7 would be close but unnecessary as 2nd (Arsenal) only had 4 red cards last season. Nor has any team in reached 7 red cards since 2014/15. It's been 5 or 6. So, to receive 8 in 38 games in my opinion is too many.

I have 2 more red cards than the team with the most red cards over the past 2 seasons - and I don't have any players that are 15+ aggression or horribly poor tackling. I understand how get stuck in + aggressive player + poor tackling, poor decisions, poor anticipation can reflect this. But 2 more red cards than the most in the PL in real life - my players would have to be really poor at tackling and really aggressive for this to happen - that just isn't the case.

PENALTIES

Gave away 9 penalties in 38 games. Just so you're aware, none of the red cards came from penalties. They came from constant clumsy tackling. 1 penalty given away every 4.2 games. 

In real life, Man City earnt the most penalties last season (9). There were 103 penalties in total in the PL last season. That means on average, you would earn and/or give away 5.15.

I have given away 9 penalties and earnt 6. So, either this is slightly too high or there is a problem with defending/tackling.

HOW THESE "MOMENTS" AFFECT GAMES

If we were to class these as "moments" - 8 red cards + 9 penalties = 17 moments in 38 games =  44.73% of my games are being decided by these moments. That's close to nearly half of my games are being influenced (and mainly decided) by a red card or a penalty (against me).

HOW IT AFFECTS THE GAME OVERALL

There becomes too many errors, swings the game unnecessarily. It doesn't feel like all the player attributes are working when it's like this. It's an unnecessary swing and it's not like my players are wound up, it's completely random. It also leads to too many highlights of errors, whether it be a red card or a penalty within the highlights. Why would my players keep getting red cards?

Surely 44% of games should NOT be influenced by either a red card or a penalty? that doesn't reflect well in the flow of the gameplay in 'Extend / Key Highlights' neither.

IF THERE IS NO ISSUE, HOW DO YOU OVERCOME THIS?

Is it a case of not playing with Get Stuck In (even though many of us aren't?) Is it a case of playing "with more discipline" even though that's an in-possession instruction? Is the best way to fine these players? Do they learn from their mistake?

Just because some teams foul more or are dirtier than others, doesn't mean that I want my team to play like that. For every 6 red cards that e.g. Everton get irl, there were 10 TEAMS that didn't receive a red card at all last season in the PL. That statistic will translate across most top leagues alongside teams who picked up only 1 or 2 red cards all season etc. I want my team to be that team, what must I do to achieve this?

My conclusion is that, there is an issue with defending and/or tackling. Or the issue with defending is causing the issue with tackling. Cards and penalties may not be the direct problem, but the after-effect problem of defending/tackling, or aggression - or the issue with defenders running away from the ball etc. players not doing what they should be doing. It may be something that fixes itself once other bugs have been fixed where defending is concerned.

Whatever it is, it's ruining the experience of the game. I like unpredictability, but this kind is just a lack of brain cells, lack of awareness, lack of everything from a player.

If this is the way it'll be from now on, how we can become the team the teams that DON'T give away red cards. So we can be the 0/1/2 red cards per season team. Not the 6-8 red cards per season team. Please let us know.

• SI Staff

It's worth mentioning that this thread was logged from a perspective of too many red cards taking place overall. Upon further investigation the overall numbers of cards are in the region we feel is correct. Additionally, I need to clarify that this isn't to dismiss the possibility of a bug but if you're looking at this from the performance of your own team getting too many red cards there is a possibility tactical instructions are a very substantial factor. 

Getting stuck in is certainly a higher risk approach to defending but it isn't a question of right/wrong as with some defenders and against some players the benefits and risks of using this will be accentuated or flattened out. To investigate this meaningfully from a managed team perspective we'd need to see passages of play through pkm's where your players are making challenges which you feel aren't appropriate (or that a red card is not the correct decision). If you defend in a more passive manner though there's a risk your side will let an opposing player keep getting closer and closer to goal until the point is reached where they need to make a challenge in a less than ideal position which in-turn incurs a greater risk of punishment by red card.

On 25/11/2022 at 11:30, Jimmy Wong said:

Thanks.

There’s nothing normal about this, defo a problem.. when all these veteran managers are telling you there’s something wrong, there’s something wrong.. Roughly 1 in 2 games there’s red cards for me, not always against me mind, but it’s kinda killing the game. Someone please sort it out 

On 27/11/2022 at 05:37, Michael Sant said:

It's worth mentioning that this thread was logged from a perspective of too many red cards taking place overall. Upon further investigation the overall numbers of cards are in the region we feel is correct. Additionally, I need to clarify that this isn't to dismiss the possibility of a bug but if you're looking at this from the performance of your own team getting too many red cards there is a possibility tactical instructions are a very substantial factor. 

Getting stuck in is certainly a higher risk approach to defending but it isn't a question of right/wrong as with some defenders and against some players the benefits and risks of using this will be accentuated or flattened out. To investigate this meaningfully from a managed team perspective we'd need to see passages of play through pkm's where your players are making challenges which you feel aren't appropriate (or that a red card is not the correct decision). If you defend in a more passive manner though there's a risk your side will let an opposing player keep getting closer and closer to goal until the point is reached where they need to make a challenge in a less than ideal position which in-turn incurs a greater risk of punishment by red card.

This is just the people that have logged on and bothered. Not that many people do bother, or most just hope someone else will raise it or hope that in time the game creators will notice the blatant issue and resolve. As per my last post, I’m seeing a red card 1 every 2 games nearly (for and against me) I’m playing a match at the min and got 3 players suspended from reds. It’s crazy. I’ve been playing since champ man days and never had anything like this, so not normal…. 

I dont get many red cards but I get sometimes even though I dont have a "get stuck" TI, but getting a lot of yellow cards. 

But for this game, I needed to report it. I got two direct red cards in 5 minutes which was very strange for me. But the more stranger thing is, I had 9 fouls and had one yellow card and two red cards and they had about 18 which resulted as just one yellow card which is weird for me.

• Ajax v Roda JC Kerkrade.pkm

Ajax v Roda JC Kerkrade_ Review.png

On 25/11/2022 at 12:30, ZWS said:

I have no examples as I ended up switching the game off after getting 2 more red cards out of 5 with get stuck in OFF therefore it won't show additional red cards and penalties but I provided information on this in another thread had I saved my game. My statistics would be:

RED CARDS

8 Red Cards in 38 games in my save.

I know it's compared over multiple top leagues, but if you were to compare it to PL stats over 38 games in real life:

1st: Everton - 6 Red Cards
    2nd: Arsenal - 4 Red Cards

1st: Brighton - 6 Red Cards

1st: Arsenal - 5 Red Cards

Don't forget that 6 red cards is the MOST over the past couple of seasons irl. 7 would be close but unnecessary as 2nd (Arsenal) only had 4 red cards last season. Nor has any team in reached 7 red cards since 2014/15. It's been 5 or 6. So, to receive 8 in 38 games in my opinion is too many.

I have 2 more red cards than the team with the most red cards over the past 2 seasons - and I don't have any players that are 15+ aggression or horribly poor tackling. I understand how get stuck in + aggressive player + poor tackling, poor decisions, poor anticipation can reflect this. But 2 more red cards than the most in the PL in real life - my players would have to be really poor at tackling and really aggressive for this to happen - that just isn't the case.

PENALTIES

Gave away 9 penalties in 38 games. Just so you're aware, none of the red cards came from penalties. They came from constant clumsy tackling. 1 penalty given away every 4.2 games. 

In real life, Man City earnt the most penalties last season (9). There were 103 penalties in total in the PL last season. That means on average, you would earn and/or give away 5.15.

I have given away 9 penalties and earnt 6. So, either this is slightly too high or there is a problem with defending/tackling.

HOW THESE "MOMENTS" AFFECT GAMES

If we were to class these as "moments" - 8 red cards + 9 penalties = 17 moments in 38 games =  44.73% of my games are being decided by these moments. That's close to nearly half of my games are being influenced (and mainly decided) by a red card or a penalty (against me).

HOW IT AFFECTS THE GAME OVERALL

There becomes too many errors, swings the game unnecessarily. It doesn't feel like all the player attributes are working when it's like this. It's an unnecessary swing and it's not like my players are wound up, it's completely random. It also leads to too many highlights of errors, whether it be a red card or a penalty within the highlights. Why would my players keep getting red cards?

Surely 44% of games should NOT be influenced by either a red card or a penalty? that doesn't reflect well in the flow of the gameplay in 'Extend / Key Highlights' neither.

IF THERE IS NO ISSUE, HOW DO YOU OVERCOME THIS?

Is it a case of not playing with Get Stuck In (even though many of us aren't?) Is it a case of playing "with more discipline" even though that's an in-possession instruction? Is the best way to fine these players? Do they learn from their mistake?

Just because some teams foul more or are dirtier than others, doesn't mean that I want my team to play like that. For every 6 red cards that e.g. Everton get irl, there were 10 TEAMS that didn't receive a red card at all last season in the PL. That statistic will translate across most top leagues alongside teams who picked up only 1 or 2 red cards all season etc. I want my team to be that team, what must I do to achieve this?

My conclusion is that, there is an issue with defending and/or tackling. Or the issue with defending is causing the issue with tackling. Cards and penalties may not be the direct problem, but the after-effect problem of defending/tackling, or aggression - or the issue with defenders running away from the ball etc. players not doing what they should be doing. It may be something that fixes itself once other bugs have been fixed where defending is concerned.

Whatever it is, it's ruining the experience of the game. I like unpredictability, but this kind is just a lack of brain cells, lack of awareness, lack of everything from a player.

If this is the way it'll be from now on, how we can become the team the teams that DON'T give away red cards. So we can be the 0/1/2 red cards per season team. Not the 6-8 red cards per season team. Please let us know.

Well said! They’ll probably tell you nothings wrong because they can’t figure it out. It’s absolutely killing the game

• SI Staff

We are able to run tests encompassing hundreds & thousands of seasons to get a broader view of total events like cards. You can see within this thread it was initially identified as a known issue, because we saw reports on this and so we've spent time investigating. There's no benefit from us pretending one thing isn't an issue when we openly admit to other things being issues and being worked on. Identifying something as an issue doesn't even guarantee we can fix it right away. We're leaving the door open here for more information to be provided to us to continue investigating. Identifying passages of play where players are making silly challenges that result in you receiving too many reds or whatever it may be is the most meaningful way forward. 

@Bakiano I'll get your pkm checked out by our QA team.