foxmad's 'Around the World in 80 Days' challenge

Now I know the major two challenges will probably attract the attention of most of the users on this board.

But hopefully this challenge will be given a chance. Obviously feedback will be welcomed as t is a brand new idea.

The Aim

To follow Phileas Fogg's journey around the world winning leagues and gaining reputation as you go. Now I understand this will definately take more than 80 days as this is what will need to be completed:

The Journey Begins - India

Phileas Fogg is a wealthy, solitary, unmarried gentleman with regular habits. He decides it is possible to travel around the world in 80 days with the opening of the new railway in India

Your first objective is to take one of the Mumbai Clubs to national league glory. The two team's are:

- Air India (difficult)

- Mahindra United (easier)

Once the league is yours you are free to move onto the next step. Obviously you may need to stay here to raise up your reputation some more.

The Escape - Hong Kong

Fogg matches the description of a bank robber back in England so they are followed undercover for the next few days. In the end they make it across to Hong Kong.

Now in Hong Kong you need to raise enough funds and reputation to continue with your journey. You need to win the Hong Kong first division with any team you can, I would recommend staying in India until you are sure you can get a job here.

Almost Home - USA

The company travel across the Pacific to San Fransisco and then onto New York, they are attacked by Native Americans on the way but they carry on reasonably unharmed

The MLS awaits your managerial ability and you must deliver by taking any of the teams to MLS glory before returning home.

London Awaits - England

Fogg has to go through Ireland and Liverpool before getting back to the city he started his journey from.

Now win the Premier Division with any London club.

The Set-up

India -National Football League

Hong Kong - First Division

USA - MLS

England - Premier Division, Championship (optional)

Obviously you start with one of the Indian teams and make you way from there.

Any database can be ticked as I know some people’s computers may be slower.

Attribute masking must be ticked.

No additional players should be used.

Manager Reputation must be set to Automatic as a high reputation will ruin the challenge.

Nationality should be English, if you have another nationality you can use this as your second one.

Additional Rules

International Management is not allowed until after the Premier Division has been won.

If sacked you need to get a new job in either the league you are in or the league(s) before that.

When returning to India you may take any club. If unable to get a job I would recommend restarting the job

You can be called anything, Phileas Fogg is recommended but I don’t expect everyone to want to have that name.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

I expect people to be sensible with this and only sign players that they can either scout or have been on trial at their club.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be un-edited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

If this proves at all popular I will regularly post an update which shows which players are playing, which league and which year they are in.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

The main reason I’ve posted this is because it is what I plan to do on fm08 and know that if other users join in I may be more motivated to keep going.

I’d also like to thank Dafuge and Gundo as my original post is based upon theres.

Good Luck icon_wink.gif

Now I know the major two challenges will probably attract the attention of most of the users on this board.

But hopefully this challenge will be given a chance. Obviously feedback will be welcomed as t is a brand new idea.

The Aim

To follow Phileas Fogg's journey around the world winning leagues and gaining reputation as you go. Now I understand this will definately take more than 80 days as this is what will need to be completed:

The Journey Begins - India

Phileas Fogg is a wealthy, solitary, unmarried gentleman with regular habits. He decides it is possible to travel around the world in 80 days with the opening of the new railway in India

Your first objective is to take one of the Mumbai Clubs to national league glory. The two team's are:

- Air India (difficult)

- Mahindra United (easier)

Once the league is yours you are free to move onto the next step. Obviously you may need to stay here to raise up your reputation some more.

The Escape - Hong Kong

Fogg matches the description of a bank robber back in England so they are followed undercover for the next few days. In the end they make it across to Hong Kong.

Now in Hong Kong you need to raise enough funds and reputation to continue with your journey. You need to win the Hong Kong first division with any team you can, I would recommend staying in India until you are sure you can get a job here.

Almost Home - USA

The company travel across the Pacific to San Fransisco and then onto New York, they are attacked by Native Americans on the way but they carry on reasonably unharmed

The MLS awaits your managerial ability and you must deliver by taking any of the teams to MLS glory before returning home.

London Awaits - England

Fogg has to go through Ireland and Liverpool before getting back to the city he started his journey from.

Now win the Premier Division with any London club.

The Set-up

India -National Football League

Hong Kong - First Division

USA - MLS

England - Premier Division, Championship (optional)

Obviously you start with one of the Indian teams and make you way from there.

Any database can be ticked as I know some people’s computers may be slower.

Attribute masking must be ticked.

No additional players should be used.

Manager Reputation must be set to Automatic as a high reputation will ruin the challenge.

Nationality should be English, if you have another nationality you can use this as your second one.

Additional Rules

International Management is not allowed until after the Premier Division has been won.

If sacked you need to get a new job in either the league you are in or the league(s) before that.

When returning to India you may take any club. If unable to get a job I would recommend restarting the job

You can be called anything, Phileas Fogg is recommended but I don’t expect everyone to want to have that name.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

I expect people to be sensible with this and only sign players that they can either scout or have been on trial at their club.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be un-edited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

If this proves at all popular I will regularly post an update which shows which players are playing, which league and which year they are in.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

The main reason I’ve posted this is because it is what I plan to do on fm08 and know that if other users join in I may be more motivated to keep going.

I’d also like to thank Dafuge and Gundo as my original post is based upon theres.

Good Luck icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coolmoose:

i would do this, but I have no FM08, just 07 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I imagine they have the same leagues so go for it.

I'm starting this challenge again with Mahindra Utd btw.

First season completed and won the National League with just one defeat.

<a href="http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10272007140836qn9.jpg" target="_blank">League Table</a>

Biggest victory being 6-0 win.

<a href="http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10272007141208am7.jpg" target="_blank">Records Page</a>

Now going to attempt to get a job in Hong Kong over the pre-season.

Year 1 in Review:

Success! icon_biggrin.gif

It was a close one, but Mahindra United managed to capture the NFL on goal differential over East Bengal.

League Table

It was really rough on the last day with Bengal facing already relegated Viva Kerala and my squad taking on fierce rivals Air India. But Viva held on to only lose 2-0 and Harpreet Singh and N.P. Pradeep struck goals to preserve the lead we had on Bengal.

The Winning Team

I took foxmad's advice in signing Bikim and he was my best performer until he got injured. I shelled out a lot of money (120K!) to pry Ranty Soleye off of Dempo but when he played he was an absolute force on the field. Also after East Bengal topped us in the Federation Cup thanks to a MoM performance from their captain, Alvito D'Cunha, I bought him for 40K. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm awaiting an opening to open up in Hong Kong, so I can move on to phase two, seeing as I spent most of my money on the above mentioned players!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxmad:

Neo icon14.gif

David Bikim is fb.

Will be interested to see how/if/when you get a job in Hong Kong. Think that may be harder, reputation may be needed to be upped further I'm thinking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you may be right. I got laughed at by the Kitchee chairman after expressing interest, and I really don't feel like attempting to go at it with one of the promoted clubs (HKFC and Tung Po). I may just wait a year and see how I can do in the Confederations Cup.

And yes, David Bikim is indeed fb. Let's see how he teams up with my new import, Sabri Gharbi (FC Brussels).

Year 1

Job Done icon_smile.gif

Final Position

The table finished closer that it really should've, losing my only game to Air India, East Bengal were the only real challengers to top spot, but doing the double over them but their chance to bed.

Again, I gave David Bikim a look and he was awesome for me, also snapped up Brazilian Beto from Dempo and two ageing strikers I.M Vijayan and Raman Vijayan who chipped in their fair share of goals.

Looking into the possibility of going straight over to Hong Kong, depending on managerial casualties icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by milanfan_apoorv:

erm.. i did the NFL with Dempo.. is that okay? there from goa, about an haur and half's frive from Mumbai. hehe sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goa to mumbai is approx 590Kms....which is around 6-7 hours drive...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxmad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coolmoose:

I'm starting this challenge again with Mahindra Utd btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The league for FM07 and FM08 has changed as this year the Indian Premier League goes professional across the board...and lot of other changes...so it is not essentially the same leagues

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Prank Emperor:

I'm starting this challenge again with Mahindra Utd btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The league for FM07 and FM08 has changed as this year the Indian Premier League goes professional across the board...and lot of other changes...so it is not essentially the same leagues </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh right, my bad icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeoAC:

Bikim might be this year's Kyle Wilson icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if only four of us are playing icon_smile.gif

Got my copy of WWSM08, started 5 days ago with Mahindra Utd., Air India looked too difficult for me. I am in real life dual UK/US citizen which may help later, if I get that far!

After 11 league games I am 3rd, 6 pts. behind Mohun Bagan & 12 behind East Bengal. East Bengal have beaten Mahindra 4 times, twice in league and in two cup finals.

Several of my signings are called Singh - I even though of doing a sub challenge of winning the league with a team of only Singhs.

Will update at end of season.

Ok, quick little update.

Completed my 2nd season (08/09) winning the league again.

Also won the Durand Cup and therefore qualified for the Asian Confederation Cup.

Hopefully and i think this is essential to win, to help boost the manager reputation to help move onto to Hong Kong.

I will post screen shots soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sign David Bikim.

One of the best midfielders available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did, was ok when he was not suspended, here are the players' ratings.

Finished 3rd,

final table and summary

Did a season in a week, takes me a least a month in English non-league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomricho2:

btw do u have to stay wiv same manager an jst apply for other jobs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah you do.

Archived