is it possible to recreate the Catenaccio?

Is it possible to recreate this style of play, made famous by Helenio Herrera on FM

If you go onto Wikipedia and type in catenaccio, I am sure that there is an illustrated example of the formation Herrera used to set up his catenaccio tactic. Good luck with it.

After draging some insperation from the wiki and the info found in this thread, I settled for developing a 4-4-2 zona mista, so far i have only tried it in one game, which i won 2-0 vs werder bremen playing as stuttgart (I joined em 10 games into the league 2013, since i was not really pleased with how my Toon team turned out)

im still trying to figure out how to set up the left side cm, and the deep left striker (and prolly a few more minor things), but anyway this is the set up i got so far:

for current version see post #12

SUCK IT: i would probably use control, counter or defensive, it would be way to hard to score with contain as starting tactic

Think the 1-3-3-3 system would serve the purpose well. Catennacio in principle, places emphasis on man-marking whilst using a free-man, often the sweeper to tidy up anything that slipped through the net.

FL.......FC.......FR

...MC...MC...MC

DL.......DC.......DR

..........SWP.........

The backline can all be assigned to mark the opposition tightly. The fullbacks can take the wingers and the centrehalf, the main centre-forward. Most teams do employ a 4-4-2, so the onus will be on you to assign your scouts to compile a report on the next opposition and identify the main threat. Would use a high defensive line, allowing the sweeper more space in which to recover any throughballs. More importantly, it keeps the opposition further from your goal. The midfield go man for man, which vs. a 4-4-2, leaves you with numerical advantage. The front 3 should be closing down often, with the wide strikers marking their fullbacks if you like. Tend to leave the centre-forward on zonal marking, when playing with a front 3, so he can close down either of the 2 centrehalves.

Team mentality, slowish tempo, with mixed-short passing. Time wasting, yes please. Will post a few test drives with this strategy in a while.

Fear not. Its just a split backline allowing for a genuine last line of defence. On how many occassions do you see opposing forwards evade your centreback and watch as his partner stands in aloof watching, waiting to pick the ball out the back of the net? A high defensive line, with a Sweeper-Centreback split, just means that, the attacker has to pass to obstacles before getting a clear shot on goal. Similar strategy was used by Bulgaria in '94 with Ivanov sweeping up any spillages. The space between fullback and centrehalf can be closed by playing with less width and asking the fullbacks to cut inside. For more defensive resolve, have them playing no thrills football, rarely running with the ball and crossing from deep. Short passing bythe fullbacks will help to prevent lost possession, especially if you employ a deep-lying playmaker. If not, then tend to use longball, intention to get the ball far up the pitch and chased by forwards with lots of closing down.

stuttgartresults.png

I spent the jan window to shift out/replaceing most back up players I had.

I had a good first team, but i needed a new keeper, along with a new libero (my planed libero did not wish to renew his contract, since former Stuttgart manager did not play him) and better squad depth. also had my two best strikers crocked on diferent ocations

current squad:

stuttgartteam.png

Archived