To Elland Back (FGC)

Manxie_Ash

I Won't be carrying on with my other stories just yet, CM03/04 has been uninstalled due to its crapness and my laptop is tell tech so let's give this a go.

Enjoy

A new era has dawned for one of English football's former giants. Leeds United now ply their trade in League 1 after a spectacular slide down the footballing tier, and after several unsuccessful attempts at getting back to the promised land, the club have hired Rhys Ledley as manager in an bold move that they hope will pay off in the long term.

“Our first priority is to gain promotion from this League, then we will go from there.” Stated the smiling Ledley at today's press conference and when questioned bout the future of the club he just smiled and said “Let's get this season out of the way with”

Leeds fans are hoping, that with this new change, a change in fortune is just around the corner.

My first objective was to get promotion, that was the boards and the fans minimum expectation. Tell a lie, they want us to win the division outright which I couldn't blame them for. The squad was decent but could do with a few tweaks, and I will be looking into getting some cover for the midfield and defence.

GK and DEF:

Two men will be fighting for the No.1 Jersey, in the form of big Dane Casper Ankergren and Englishman David Lucas. They both look pretty similar and will suffice for this season at least.

Our defence looks pretty solid, but without any decent back up. Frazer Richardson and 21 year old Alan Sheenan will be covering the flanks whilst Paul Huntington and Slovakian Lubomir Michalik trying to make sure the opposition can't get through. For back up we have Angolan Rui Marques and the 20 year old winger Ben Parker can be used as make shift full back. Our only other cover comes from Andy Hughes and Richard Naylor, whilst both experienced will find it tough to get into the team. I feel we need better cover on all fronts defensively and I will be looking into all available possibilities.

MID:

Centrally we look good, with Fabian Delph and Jonathan Howson both already looking like they will be important players this season and with Australian Neil Kilkenny and Jonathan Douglas as backup we are okay. We were flooded with players on the wing, on the left we will have Peter Sweeney, Ben Parker and Bradley Johnson fighting for places whilst on the right we have David Prutton, Andy Robinson and Andy Hughes all vying for places. I am unhappy with the Right side, I think out of the three only David Prutton will be useful, and I will be looking for a good enough back up.

FWD:

Jermaine Beckford has a proven track record, 177 appearances and 82 goals, he will be our main goal threat this season. He will backed up by American Mike Grella who will be embarking on his first footballing journey with the club. Waiting in the wings we have Argentinian Lucianno Becchio and Enoch Showunmi who will provide some decent competition for Grella.

So, that's the team and my season will begin away at Tranmere, but not before some vital pre season friendlies. So, let's see how this goes shall we

Winner of the FMS Best and Most Cringeworthy Story Title 2009 :p

'To Ell And Back' is a well known Leeds United fanzine, so no points for originality, though I do look forward to reading how this goes

Thank you to Terk, Tubey and Salkster for that :p and pdbravo as I am not a Leeds fan I am unaware what their fanzines are called, I hope you will continue to follow :)

Not really a lot to report, I have made enquiries into players that are available for loan. With a 100k budget I will be looking at loans to begin with, the only bid I have made so far is a £35k bid for Sheffield United's experienced centre back Ugu Ehiogu. The first round of the League Cup was drawn and has given us a home tie to League 2 outfit Darlington. Rui Marques will miss our first Pre-season friendly with Kidderminster after coming down with food poisoning, He will be out for a week.

Our first bit of transfer business. Aston Villa's 17 year old Attacking Midfielder Harry Forrester has joined us on a season long loan. He can play all across the park so he should prove to be decent backup. He is closely followed through the doors of Elland Road by Middlesbrough Defender Seb Hines, the 20 year old will join us on a season long loan and can play in either a Central, or more importantly, a Right Back role. The Blades have rejected our transfer offer for Ehiogu, but have accepted a 6 month loan offer and will stump up 40% of his wages as well.

Ehiogu has joined us for 6 months and will provide valuable experience. More bad news ahead of our opening friendly as Andy Robinson will miss out after stubbing his toe....I'm not one to judge.

Another new loanee, in the form of 20 year old Nigerian forward Kelvin Etuhu. The man is set to have a bright future at Eastlands and hopefully we'll be good for him and vice versa in his 3 month spell. Also, an audacious contract bid for Edgar Davids was placed, but I am not holding my breath.

Kidderminster Harriers Vs Leeds United

My first game in charge saw us take on Blue Square Premier side Kidderminster in a game that we were expected to win in style. It took us 24 minutes to please the small contingent that had travelled to see us, Howson threading a ball to Beckford who made some space for himself before firing a low shot past Bartlett in the oppositions goal. Thus ended the only excitement of the half. The second half started badly and after 52 minutes Kidderminster were level after some good work between Darryl Knights and Stefan Moore ending in the later squeezing a shot past Ankergren. It took until the 75th minute to hit back after Beckford was fouled in the area he smahsed home a penalty to make it 2-1. The win was wrapped up in the 85th minute when Substitute Kilkenny headed home from a corner.

Kidderminster 1 (Moore, 52) – (Beckford 24, 75 pen, Kilkenny 85) 3 LEEDS

Bad news. Loanee Harry Forrester pulled his hamstring in training and will be out for at least 4 weeks. Good news. A new scout has joined us today and will be keeping an eye on the youth leagues.

Beckford will miss our next match after coming down with the flu. He was sent home so as not to spread the virus.

Blackpool Vs Leeds United

A drab match with precious little in the way of chances. The first falling to Becchio who blasted skywards after the 15th minute, this set the tone of our match and we were soon behind when after 22 minutes Stephen McPhee drving home from close range. We were on top after they scored, looking desperately for an equaliser but it wouldn't come and the first half drew to a close. The second half was none to fruitful either, Beckford was obviously being missed as Grella and Becchio couldn't hit a barn door. We did eventually equalise, 79 minutes in and Howson popped up at the near post to power home a header. This is how it stayed, we should of beaten them but that's the way life goes.

Blackpool 1 (McPhee 22) – (Howson 79) 1 LEEDS

Youngster Ross Wilkinson has joined Shrewsbury Town for 6 months, hopefully it will provide the promising young defender with some match experience.

Guiseley Vs Leeds United

The match started off badly with Beckford blasting a spot kick far to high, and it took until the 32nd minute for us to break the deadlock when young full back Alan Sheehan hitting a gorgeous curling shot from the edge of the area from Etuhu's corner. After the break Guiseley went in search of an equaliser and found it when Greg Hartmann pounced on some poor defending to blast home in the 63rd minute. Shell shocked we charged forward for the winning goal which we got in the 72nd minute as young striker Tom Elliot was left with an easy close range finish after a divine through ball by fellow young 'un Sam Jerome. The roles reversed in the 85th minute as Jerome was fed through by Elliot and he finished in style, chipping over the helpless keeper.

Guiseley 1 (Hartmann 63) – (Sheehan 32, Elliot 72, Jerome 85) 3 LEEDS

We were set as favourites to clinch the league with 6/4 odds with the closest contenders Carlisle at 5/1 and Leicester at 6/1. Meanwhile Davids was taking his sweet time in replying, but he had many contracts to peruse.

Leeds United Vs Newcastle United

My first home game in charge of the club, and it happened to be against tough opposition. We knew we were in for a rough time when Geremi opened the scoring after 12 minutes. We held them off for the remainder of the first half thanks to some outstanding saves from Ankergren. The second half produced much of the same, Newcastle pressure followed by some brilliant keeping from the Dane. His performance is what makes the own goal he scored so sad, 70 minutes gone and Lovenkrands tried and audacious shot from way out, it beat the diving Dane and cracked against the post unfortunately it smacked Ankergren in the back of the head and rolled over the line.

Leeds 0 – (Geremi 12, Ankergren og 70) 2 Newcastle

Leeds United Vs Queens Park Rangers

Our penultimate friendly against a team that will be chasing promotion this season. The first half was a drab affair and ended goal-less for both teams. The second half looked to be shaping up up the same way until Gareth Ainsworth spoilt it all by executing a sublime half volley on the 65th minute mark that David Lucas had no chance with. The party was spoilt even more 10 minutes later when Icelandic striker Heider Helgusson powered in a header from close range. A match that we may of done better in as we had 3 total shots and only 39% of possesion.

LEEDS 0 - (Ainsworth 65, Helgusson 76) 2 Queens Park Rangers

Farsley Celtic Vs Leeds United

Our last match before the season opener at Tranmere and we dominated from start to finish. Showunmi got us going after 21 minutes with a well placed shot from the edge of the opposition area after some good passing between Sweeney and Kilkenny. We were two nil up after 39 minutes in the weirdest fashion, Rui Marques floated over a cross that looked to close to the keeper but the keeper lost his footing and could only watch as the ball floated over the top of him and into the net. Game over, and Farsley shut up shop for the rest of the game

Farsley 0 – (Showunmi 21, Marques 39) 2 LEEDS

Now to concentrate on our opening league game in 8 days time.

Thank you Elrithral, I hope you stick around :)

TPFM - Thank you, it wasn't special but it wasn't bad apart from the draw at Blackpool. I am blaming you for what comes next :D

In the build up to our first game I named our captain, Frazer Richardson would continue in the role and will be backed up by 20 year old Jonathan Howson who has shown his influential side in training.

After some careful decision making Edgar Davids decided to join RKC Waalwijk....Yeahh I don't know either. We will be hosted by Tranmere Rovers tomorrow night in the League 1 curtain raiser at Prenton Park. The media had predicted them to come 10th and the bookies were making us Odds on favourites to win, so the pressure was on us to give the fans a good start.

SAVAGE BEATING

Tranmere Rovers Vs Leeds United – CCL1 (9.8.08) – Prenton Park

Rhys Ledley was bought back down to earth with a knock-out blow as he watched his Leeds side crumble to a humiliating defeat at Tranmere Rovers. Bas Savage taking the glory for the home team after a sensational performance that earned him the man of the match award, the striker setting up two goals and scoring one himself in an assured display from the 26 year old.

The hammering started almost directly from kick off as Tranmere looked by far the better team, Chris Greenacre almost getting on the score sheet in the 7th minute with a wicked half volley after a inch perfect cross by Savage. 5 minutes later and Rovers were in again, this time Greenacre feeding a delightful ball through to Savage who could only drag his shot wide after some good pressure from Slovakian defender Michalik.

Leeds did have a few chances in the first half, Fabian Delph having the pick of those, firing a free kick into the post after Etuhu was brought down just outside the Tranmere area, but Tranmere's pressure paid off ten minutes before the end of the half, Greenacre picking up a fine ball from Savage and smashing a low shot past Danish 'Keeper Capser Ankergren. Leeds almost hit back straight away but the normally confident Jermaine Beckford looked out of his depth as he smashed a shot high and wide.

The second half started in the same way with Leeds looking for that equaliser but no matter what the tried they could not find it, Fabian Delph and Robert Snodgrass saw their shots beaten away by Danny Coyne who looked unbeatable in the Tranmere goal.

Bas Savage ended all hopes of a Leeds revival in the 54th minute with a swerving free kick from 25 yards that had the big Dane in the away teams goal palming at thin air, wickedly dipping into the bottom right corner. It was a fine goal for a fine performance. That seemed to take all fight out of Leeds game as they looked shell shocked and were lucky not to be further behind as Steve Jennings found himself one on one with Ankergren but his attempted chip was beaten away for a corner that resulted in a goal kick.

Some “inspired” substitutions from Mr Ledley saw a brief fight back as Beckford and Grella looked like they could actually score, the didn't, but it was a sign of maybe things to come from the Leeds front men.

The game was dead on the 72 minute as a Savage corner found the head of Rovers' captain Anthony Kay who powered a header past a flailing Ankergren. Leeds could do nothing to fight back and Tranmere had the three points against opposition that really should be doing better.

Up next for Leeds is a visit from League 2 side Darlington in the first round of the league cup midweek, before the arrival of Huddersfield to Elland Road next Saturday. Rhys will be hoping for a better game against their rivals, otherwise Ledley will be in for a very, very tough time.

Leeds Squad: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Michalik, Huntington, Etuhu, Johnson, Howson (Kilkenny 63), Delph, Beckford, Snodgrass (Grella 63).

Tranmere Rovers 3: Chris Greenacre 34, Bas Savage 54, Anthony Kay 72

LEEDS UNITED 0

MotM: Bas Savage (Tranmere: 8.1)

Attendance: 7878

Some good news in that Harry Forrester has returned from injury, and will be available for the visit of Darlington on Wednesday. I will be confident of a win there and a victory on Saturday against rivals Huddersfield.

Darlington Vs Leeds United – LC Round 1 (13/8/09) – Elland Road

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Michalik (Huntington 53), Ehiogu, Etuhu, Forrester, Howson( Kilkenny 84), Delph, Beckford, Becchio (Grella 53) .

Team News: Débuts handed to Ehiogu and Forrester and Becchio comes in to replace Snodgrass.

A team we really should beat with ease, Darlington were in 7th place in League 2 after an opening day 2-1 victory over Macclesfield and were fielding a full strength squad, so were we to an extent. I didn't want any upsets. We started off the livelier of the two teams with Etuhu and Beckford both going close within the opening 10 minutes, but the first real chance fell to Becchio, the Argentine found himself in some space and charged forward into the Darlington area and with only the keeper to beat smashed in a shot that was easily saved by Andy Oakes. The half was a pretty drab affair, with us dominating possession whilst Darlington sat back and seemingly waited for the inevitable, but it didn't come.

The “easy” game had remained 0-0 come the half time whistle and Darlington seemed to gain some hope going into the second half. The teams came out fighting in the second half, now both looking for that chance that would make all the difference. We had it, 72 minutes in and Paul Huntington who had come on for the injured Michalik, threaded a ball through to fellow substitute Grella who had the simplest of finishes which he didn't take, a tame shot hit straight at Andy Oakes. One more change, I through Kilkenny on for the ineffective Howson and through Etuhu into an attacking midfield role, it almost paid dividends as Etuhu struck the bar with a thunderous strike. But the game went into extra time.

Extra-time produced one flash of genius, Fabian Delph gliding past all who came at him and delivered a peach of a cross to an unmarked Jermaine Beckford who volleyed against the cross bar. It was a wonderful move, but the end product was again lacking and it had cost us, the game ended and it was penalties. I was annoyed.

Rob Purdie steps up first for the home team and puts them 1-0 up. 1-0

Jermaine Beckford replies with ease as he sends the keeper the wrong way . 1-1

Greg Blundell hits it straight at Ankergren and gives us hope. 1-1

Alan Sheehan gives us the lead with a well struck penalty. 2-1

Danny Carlton makes it easier for us by blazing over the bar. 2-1

Kelvin Etuhu gives us sight of the second round. 3-1

Ricky Ravenhill wraps it up by hitting the post. 3-1

Darlington 0

Leeds United 0

(Leeds through after 3-1 penalty win)

MotM: Niel Austin (Darlington: 7.2)

Attendance: 13983

We were through, but we made it hard for ourselves and we are now left with two injuries and players lacking fitness for our first home league game on Saturday. Neil Kilkenny twisted his ankle and will be out for 4 weeks and Lubomir Michalik has bruised his thigh and will miss up to 10 days.

Not the best Mark, no. Hopefully things can turn themselves around :) Good to have you on board.

The second round of the League Cup has drawn us away to Premier League side Middlesbrough. That should be fun. The bookies are making us 4-6 favourites for the Huddersfield game on Saturday, but I wasn't getting my hopes up after an abysmal performance last weekend. Huddersfield find themselves in 10th place after the opening round of games after a 1-1 draw with Peterborough and thrashed Chesterfield 4-1 in the league cup on Wednesday.

Leeds United (L) Vs (D)Huddersfield Town – CCL2 (16/8/09) – Elland Road

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Parker, Hines, Rui Marques, Etuhu, Snodgrass, Howson, Delph, Beckford, Showunmi

Team News: Ben Parker ad Rui Marques make their first appearances this season whilst Seb Hines makes his debut after returning from International Duty. Snodgrass returns in place of Forrester and Enoch Showunmi partners Beckford up front.

The team get off to a flying start as a wonderful passing moves that starts with Richard Snodgrass floating a ball over to Showunmi who chests down and holds off defenders before passing the Fabian Delph and running into the box in time to pick of on Delph's wonderful through pass to fire home in 1 minute and 37 seconds. That is more like it and we go on to create more chances as Delph and Beckford both seek to open their accounts for the season, the latter comes closest when he hits a swerving shot that just manages to clip the crossbar before spinning out of play. We were much more creative and that creativity paid off again after 18 minutes as Snodgrass picked up on another through ball from Fabian Delph and pulled the trigger from close range to make it 2-0 within the opening 20 minutes. We were on fire, and Delph should of added a third in the 32nd minute but could only watch as his header bounced off the post and out from Etuhu's cross. Huddersfield claimed their first and the last chance of the first half, testing Ankergren from distance, Andy booth watches his well struck shot go inches over the cross bar. That was the half and we were looking good for our lead.

The Second half started slowly, Huddersfield looked the more likely to score in the opening few minutes minutes Phil Jevons and Booth going close but denied by good saves from our big Dane. They pulled a goal back in the 52nd minute, some sloppy defending from Rui Marques left Andy Booth with far to much time to slot home past the flailing Ankergren, Huddersfield had a lifeline. They couldn't quite get the chance they needed our defence were doing a good job at limiting the Huddersfield attack to long range shots and Ankergren was never really tested. We looked to settle a few nervy supporters inside Elland Road in the dying seconds, substitute Grella threading the ball through for Beckford who miss hit his shot and one lucky fan ended up with a prize. The match finished 2-1 and we had our first win, and it was a lot more comfortable than the scoreline may suggest

Leeds United 2: Enoch Showunmi (1), Robert Snodgrass (18)

Huddersfield Town 1: Andy Booth (52)

MotM: Robert Snodgrass (Leeds: 7.8)

Attendance: 36866

I was very pleased with the win, it settled some nerves and gave the home fans something to cheer about by giving them the head of one of our closest rivals. After a busy week, we could now look forward to having a week to prepare for the arrival of Darren Ferguson's Peterborough United.

22/8/08

We were anticipating the arrival of Peterborough who were up in 4th place after a 1-1 tie with Huddersfield and a 5-1 demolition of Stockport at London Road last week, they were out of the League Cup after a 1-0 loss yo Southend. We were favourites but only just and we would have to be wary of their strike team after seeing their efficiency against Stockport.

Leeds United (LW) Vs (DW) Peterborough United – CCL1 (23/8/08) – Elland Road

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Parker (Sheehan 60), Hines, Marques, Prutton, Snodgrass, Howson, Delph, Beckford, Etuhu (Grella 60)

Team News: Prutton makes his first appearance this season, Etuhu is pushed up into attack to make it 4 partners in 4 games for Beckford.

We nearly grabbed a goal in the first minute again, Jermaine Beckford powering forward with the ball from kick off squaring it to Etuhu on the edge of the area who drove it towards the net through a sea of bodies, the ball hit Craig Morgan and span into the post, an early warning. We were ahead 5 minutes later Beckford again the architect, from Etuhu's corner held everybody off before laying it off to Rui Marques ho smashed it home from the edge of the area, it was a pretty goal that had the fans jumping in the stands, a fantastic start. We should of made it 2-0 10 minutes later, Beckfords low strike saved well by Joe Lewis. It was 2-0 just after the half hour mark, Prutton providing a cross which Beckford nodded into the path of Kelvin Etuhu, who could make no mistake from 6 yards. This was a much better performance, and we summed up a fantastic first half on the 44 minute mark, Jermaine Beckford scoring possibly the goal of the season. Taking it from Russell Martin on the half way line and mazed his way towards the goal with effortless skill before thundering a shot home that Lewis did not have a chance against. A good way to score your first of the season.

The second half came, and Peterborough came storming out of the gates, Aaron McLean firing a free kick narrowly over the cross bar after marques brought Omar Riza down on the edge of the box. We were getting complacent, Riza almost pulling one back on the hour mark after some good work from captain Russell Martin, but could only watch his dipping shot thunder of the cross bar. Our only really chance of the second half fell to Fabian Delph who hit a half volley inches past the post after David Prutton worked the ball from deep inside our own half. Ankergren was having problems with the Peterborough attack making save after save but we held on to our clean sheet and the match finished 3-0.

Leeds United 3: Rui Marques (6), Kelvin Etuhu (32), Jermaine Beckford (44)

Peterborough United 0

MotM: Jermaine Beckford (Leeds: 8.9)

Attendance: 22364

The win took us up to 8th after 3 games, making us one of 6 teams on 6 points. The win put us back in the plus on goal difference, scoring 5 goals and conceding 4.

Rui Marques makes the team of the week. I am happy with the balance of the team at the moment so I don't think there will be any more activity in the transfer window. Now, the board want us to be in the third round of the League Cup, they are saying we are in a position to do that ahead of our trip to The Riverside. 'Boro are in dead last in the EPL having only scored 1 goal and conceding 6 in the two games so far played, a 4-1 loss to Spurs on the opening day and a 2-0 loss to Villa. I was pessimistic, we had a decent squad for League 1 but I think we will have trouble getting past 'Boro.

Middlesbrough Vs Leeds United – LC Round 2 (26.8.08) – The Riverside

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Huntington, Rui Marques, Etuhu, Johnson (Parker 79), Howson, Delph, Beckford (Snodgrass 72), Grella (Showunmi 72)

Team News: Grella makes his first start, to make it 5 partners in 5 for Beckford. Sheehan, Huntington and Johnson all return to the first team, Hines is unable to play against his club.

Like I said, I was pessimistic that we had any chance in this game and I was proved right after 12 minutes, after spending the opening minutes in our own half we caved when Gary O'Neil floated in a ball over the top of our defenders head and Marlon King was left with a simple strike which he coolly put away. We were doomed as we gave free kick after free kick away but Ankergren kept us in it with a series of outstanding saves. Our first attack came in the 35th minute as Kelvin Etuhu took advantage of some slack 'Boro defending and slipped in behind Pogatetz and hit a low shot that beat Brad Jones, we were level. Only for 5 minutes though, Gary O'Neil hitting the back of the net with a free kick. The score at half time was 2-1 and 'Boro looked comfortable.

The second half was more of the same, Middlesbrough dominance whilst we were just sitting back and trying to keep the score as low as possible, which we did incredibly well. We limited 'Boro to long range shots which were easily dealt with by Ankergren. We could not, however, stop O'Neil in the 90th minute. His thunderous half volley from the edge of the area swerved into the top right hand corner and that was that, 'Boro were through and we could concentrate on the league, at least until the JPT was drawn.

Middlesbrough 3: Marlong King (12), Gary O'Neil (40, 90+1)

Leeds United 1: Kelvin Etuhu (35)

MotM: Gary O'Neil (Middlesbrough: 8.5)

Attendace: 14,563

The board weren't happy that we were out, but they did understand that it is a Premier League team we had lost to so it softened the blow somewhat. More Bad News is that Etuhu pulled up with a thigh injury during the closing moments of the game and we will have to wait on word from City's physios as to how long he will be out for, hopefully it wont be too long.

The last game of August would see us travel to Boundary Park to face Oldham, who had the exact same form as us with two wins and a loss to their name the only difference being the amount of goals scored. The difference was the same but they had scored one less and conceded one less than us. It should be a close game and it was one I was looking forward to.

Oldham Athletic Vs Leeds United – CCL1 (30.8.09) – Boundary Park

Team: Ankergren, Richardson, Parker, Hines, Huntington (Michalik 72), Prutton, Snodgrass, Howson (Hughes 63), Delph, Beckford, Becchio(Showunmi 63)

Team News: Prutton in for the injured Etuhu, two changes at the back with Ben Parker and Seb Hines coming back to replace Sheehan and Rui Marques and Becchio starts upfront with Beckford.

The match started with some pace, Beckford Immediately making his presence felt with a low shot that looked as if it would creep under Mark Crossley's body but he managed to keep hold of it. We had the chance to go ahead in the 13th minute when Huntingdon lobbed the ball forward in search of Becchio but he couldn't keep his first time shot down and it ended up in the Car Park. We were dominating possession and Oldham rarely broke out of their own half in the first 45, the best of their chances falling to Lewis Alessandra but his long range effort was easily saved by Ankergren. The least chance of the half fell to Prutton, who managed to weave himself into some space and his vicious right footed shot crept a few millimetres wide of the post. Maybe we should have been one nil up going into the break but I was pleased with the performance, and we looked the more likely to break the dead lock.

The second half burst into like with a disallowed goal in the 47th minute for Oldham, On loan Dean Windass fed through Alessandra who poke into the bottom corner but the linesman adjudged him to be offside, and in fairness it was the correct choice. From the resulting free kick Ankergren booted the ball long up field for Beckford to chase, the ball looked lost to Stefan Stam who jumped to head the ball clear, he miss timed it and let Beckford past to put the ball past veteran Crossley to make it 1-0 Leeds. This is how it stayed, but for another couple of long range efforts both teams failed to create any real chances to change the game.

Oldham Athletic 0

Leeds United 1: Jermaine Beckford (48)

MotM: Casper Ankergren (Leeds: 7.7)

Attendance: 8156

After a poor start to the season 3 wins in a row puts us up to 4th in the league a point behind Bristol Rovers at the top. News on Etuhu will see him out for up to two weeks, and Ehiogu has been recalled by his club. It isn't a big loss as he hasn't exactly been impressive, and it gives us an extra bit on our wage budget. Now for an international break, we will see you in a few.

Only one bit of transfer news, Etuhu has extended his stay to a season long loan. I feel he will be important this season so I want him around for as long as possible.

A new month and Ankergren has made the team of the week after a good display in the Oldham game, also I have scooped third place in the manager of the month awards. Lastly, Young Goalkeeper Alan Martin has won young player of the month for some good performances during his loan spell at Barrow.

the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy North was drawn, and will see us travel to the seaside to face Morecambe. In international news Fabian Delph came off the bench to set up 2 goals in England under 19's demolition of Andorra, and Andy Sheehan produce a solid display as the ROI under 21's victory over Andorra. Not a good day for Andorra.

Southend United (DWLWL) Vs (WWWL) Leeds United – CCL1 (13.8.09) – Roots Hall

Team: Ankergren, Hines, Parker, Huntington, Michalik (Rui Marques 73), Prutton, Johnson, Howson ©, Delph, Beckford, Becchio

Team News: Richardson pulled out with a hamstring problem so Seb Hines moves to RB with Michalik returning to CB, Johnson replaces Snodgrass in the centre of midfield.

And we are back, after a short international break we pick back up on our push for promotion with a trip to the seaside to face a Southend side that were in a steak of indifferent form. It took us 11 minutes to register Luciano Becchio getting his first goal for the club, and indeed, his first goal in the country with a well taken strike from a Prutton Corner. This got us in the mood for more and we were nearly two up 3 minutes, Becchio firing inches over the bar from the edge of the area after some good passing play between him and Fabian Delph. We were 2-0 up in the 26th minute, Fabian Delph charging towards the box and was bought down just outside, David Prutton stepped up and glided a delicious free kick into the bottom right corner. We were unstoppable and in the 30th minute we were 3-0 up when Jermaine Beckford blasted home his 3rd goal in 5 starts after cutting into the box from the right, bamboozling everyone he came up against. Half time rolled around with us 3-0 and looking lie a different team to the one that started the season.

The second half was barely 2 minutes old when Southend pulled a goal back, and it as a beautiful goal too. Jean-Francois Christophe hitting a beauty from way out that swerved in every direction before settling in the bottom corner, Little more than a consolation but it was a good way to get off the mark in the League for the young 21 year old. They pulled another one back in the 53rd minute, brown trousers time, Simon Francis heading home from a corner. Instead of trying to wrap up the win we sat back and hoped to protect the lead we already had, our job was made much easier on the 83rd minute when Dorian Dervite was sent off for a second bookable offence. We breathed a sigh of relief and managed to get to the end without conceding again.

Southend United 2: Jean-Francois Christophe (47), Simon Francis (53)

Leeds United 3: Luciano Becchio (11), David Prutton (26), Jermaine Beckford (30)

MotM: Simon Francis (Southend: 8.0)

Attendance: 7194

The win puts us in 5th place with a game in hand over all above us. Here is how the top and bottom look after 5 games:

Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Peterborough   |       | 6     | 4     | 1     | 1     | 17    | 7     | +10   | 13    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Colchester     |       | 6     | 4     | 1     | 1     | 11    | 6     | +5    | 13    | 
| 3rd   |       | Bristol Rovers |       | 6     | 4     | 1     | 1     | 11    | 7     | +4    | 13    | 
| 4th   |       | Tranmere       |       | 6     | 4     | 0     | 2     | 11    | 3     | +8    | 12    | 
| [b]5th   |       | Leeds          |       | 5     | 4     | 0     | 1     | 9     | 6     | +3    | 12    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]------------| 
| 6th   |       | Scunthorpe     |       | 5     | 3     | 1     | 1     | 8     | 3     | +5    | 10    | 
| 7th   |       | Leicester      |       | 4     | 3     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 3     | +4    | 10    | 
| 8th   |       | Carlisle       |       | 6     | 2     | 3     | 1     | 7     | 5     | +2    | 9     | 
***********************************************************************************
| 19th  |       | Walsall        |       | 6     | 1     | 3     | 2     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 6     | 
| 20th  |       | Oldham         |       | 6     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 5     | 12    | -7    | 6     | 
| 21st  |       | Crewe          |       | 5     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 5     | 7     | -2    | 4     | 
| 22nd  |       | Northampton    |       | 6     | 0     | 2     | 4     | 4     | 13    | -9    | 2     | 
| 23rd  |       | Hereford       |       | 6     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 5     | 14    | -9    | 1     | 
| 24th  |       | MK Dons        |       | 6     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 0     | 13    | -13   | 1     | 
|       |       |                |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Thanks PFM, we seemed to have picked up after a bad first two games

Leeds United Vs Crewe Alexandra – CCL1 (17.9.08) – Elland Road

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Huntington, Hines, Etuhu, Forrester, Howson (Grella 63), Delph, Beckford, Snodgrass

Team News: Sheehan in for Parker. Etuhu returns from injury. Forrester and Snodgrass both return.

Our game in hand was against lowly Crewe. The 21st placed team would climb out of the relegation zone with a victory today and we would rise to top spot. The first chance fell to Crewe, Calvin Zola shooting high and wide from distance, this would be the only shot they would have for the rest of the half. Our only chance of the half came in the 15th minute, Fabian Delph stealing the ball and hitting a pile driver that somehow found the net from 35 yards, absolute brilliance from the young man and his first goal of the season. That was it for the half shockingly, only sporadic, wild, long distance shots until the half came to a close.

The second half was not much better, a grand total of three shots to report. None of them particularly interesting and the game fizzled out its conclusion. Not the way I had imagined going top of the table but we were there. That Delph goal did not deserve to be in this game.

Leeds United 1: Fabian Delph (15)

Crewe Alexandra 0

MotM: Fabian Delph (Leeds: 7.5)

Attendance: 22333

Next was a visit from The “O's” who were languishing in the bottom quater of the table, they had only lost two games but they had only won once. Seemingly the 1-1 draw specialists of the league, that being the result in their remaining games. I was extremely confident of a win, five league wins in a row had seen us rise to the top of the League 1 summit and we had a three point cushion over Tranmere Rovers who had humbled us on the opening day. My only concern was Leicester, the team were five points behind but had two games in hand over us and were on a role, they were the only team left in the league that hadn't lost a game, but that was a problem for another day. Our promotion bid was on track.

Leeds United Vs. Leyton Orient – CCL1 (20.9.08) – Elland Road (Att: 22,890)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Parker(Sheehan 76), Huntington, Hines, Etuhu, Johnson, Howson, Delph, Beckford, Becchio.

Team News: Parker and Sheehan continue their rotation at LB, Johnson in for Forrester and Becchio stars along side Beckford.

The match got under way with a huge roar from the home crowd, they were up for a sixth win and so were we. Three minutes had been played when Jermaine Beckford had found himself in acres of room on the right, charging forward he floated in a cross that met Becchio's head but the young Argentine put the ball narrowly over the top. Becchio should have been in again after ten minutes, Howson's crossed free kick was met with a vicious left foot that was tipped past the post. Chances were coming thick and fast and over the next twenty minutes we were simply brilliant, Fabian Delph showing exactly why Wolves, Reading and Birmingham are interested in him, running the midfield like a seasoned pro. He was involved again as we got out first goal, storming into the area he took a touch to get ahead of Scott Barron and make it one on one, Barron stuck out his foot but Delph was to quick and Barron caught the young England man's trailing leg, Delph tried to continue but he fell to the ground and the referee blew and pointed to the spot, Beckford converting the penalty with ease. We were 2-0 just before half time, Jermaine Beckford powering in his second of the game and his fifth of the season from a beautifully flighted Etuhu corner. 2-0 and good value.

The second half started off slowly, Leyton Orient trying as hard as they can to keep the score respectable, Jordan Spence performing his duties well at the heart of the O's defence. No matter how hard we tried we couldn't get that third goal that would kill off any hope of a comeback, and boy did we try. Etuhu and Johnson proving impossible to deal with down the flanks and Fabian Delph was bossing the midfield all. Beckford, who was on a hat trick, managed to hit the woodwork twice from long distance, but it was not to be. The match was all but over, but Orient popped up with a late goal, Adam Chambers in the 83rd minute nodding home a Jimmy Smith Corner, in the build up to the goal Ben Parker took a heavy knock and was forced off. It was a nervous last few minutes but we held on to record our sixth straight league victory.

Leeds United 2: Jermaine Beckford (30 pen, 41)

Leyton Orient 1: Adam Chambers (84)

MotM: Jermaine Beckford (Leeds: 9.0)

Parker will be out for a while, anything up to two months. Strained Knee Ligaments. Sheehan will play more than one or two in a row now.

Big news transfer wise. Former Real Madrid CB Francisco Pavón has joined us on a free. I am a huge fan of the 28 year old and cannot wait for him to strut his stuff at Elland Road. The fan's seem impressed and even Gordon Strachan commented on how happy he was with the bargain.

MK Dons Vs Leeds United – CCL1 (27.9.08) – Stadium:MK (Att: 9162)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Pavón, Hines, Etuhu, Johnson, Howson, Delph (Douglas 45), Beckford, Becchio (Grella 64)

Team News: Pavón makes his debut in place of Huntingdon, Sheehan replaces the injured Ben Parker.

MK Dons were not having the best season so far, one win and one draw from the opening seven games left them lying 23rd in the table and desperate for a win. The game got off to the best possible start when Beckford fired a low shot which Gueret could only parry into the path of Howson who calmly slotted his first in his first goal of the season after just five minutes, roughly a third of our goals this season had come in the opening 15 minutes. We looked to add to that statistic in the 15th minute ironically, Jermaine Beckford spraying the ball out wide to Johnson before darting into the box in time to thump a header into the cross bar. MK Dons started to apply some pressure of their own, working the ball from the back line Ali Gerba found himself rifling in a shot from 20 yards that had Ankergren beaten as well as the post. The last chance of the half fell to Fabian Delph in the 45th minute, who got his balance wrong and spooned a shot over the bar. He fell awkwardly and had to hobble off as the half time whistle blew.

Delph couldn't continue and Jonathan Douglas came on in his place. MK Dons came out of dressing room with a renewed vigour, and were the most likely to score. In fact, they did just that in the 53rd minute, a storming run down the right by Scott Murray whose low cross seemed destined for the boot of Aaron Wilbraham until Bradley Johnson took his legs away from him a stonewall penalty that Wilbraham duly tucked away, 1-1 and the emphasis was now on us to maintain our winning streak. MK Dons were applying the pressure still, Wilbraham making himself a nuisance to our defenders but Pavón and Hines were holding out well, making crucial tackles. Pavón played a crucial role in our next chance, dispossessing Jemal Johnson before dispatching the ball high and forward towards the run of Jermaine Beckford who had tucked himself in behind the defence, his first touch was brilliant but his second was phenomenal volleying from a 25 yards out, Gueret didn't have a chance to save. Sheer brilliance from Beckford and with that we went on to win the game, and pick up our seventh straight win.

MK Dons 1: Aaron Wilbraham (53 Pen)

Leeds United 2: Jonathan Howson (15), Jermaine Beckford (79)

MotM: Jonathan Howson (Leeds: 8.5)

That win leaves us four points ahead of nearest rivals Bristol City and gives us a nice healthy +6 goal difference

Some good news in the form of Slovakian defender Michalik returning to training today after recovering from a thigh injury that has kept him out of the last three games. Some more Good news as Leicester play their last game in hand, they comfortably beat Yeovil 2-0 but a loss and a draw in their previous two games mean that they only rise to third on the same points as Bristol, leaving our main threat four points off the pace at this early stage.

A new month and a third place award for young Seb Hines in the young player of the month awards. And a first place finish for myself in the Manager of the Month awards after an unbeaten month.

Tomorrow's match will see us hosting sixth placed Scunthorpe United who boast the leagues best defensive record having only conceded four goals so far. Their only lose of the season came on the opening day away to Bristol Rovers, since then they had gone on to record four wins a three draws sitting two points behind second placed Bristol. I anticipate a close game, but I expect us to record another win or at worst a draw.

Leeds United Vs Scunthorpe United – CCL1 (4.10.09) – Elland Road (Att: 23,186)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson © (Hughes 62), Sheehan, Pavón, Hines, Prutton, Forrester (Snodgrass 62), Howson, Delph, Beckford, Etuhu

Team News: Prutton and Forrester recalled to either flank and Etuhu moved up to partner Beckford in attack.

The match started with a flurry of activity from either team, Scunthorpe making the best openings in the first ten minutes with both Paul Hayes and Barry Cooper coming close to scoring. Fabian Delph was looking to hit back against recent press criticism of his performances, looking strong in the centre of midfield and was our creative force going forward, setting up Beckford for our first chance which cracked against the foot of the Scunthorpe goal. Both teams were attacking with menace and both defences looked impregnable. Pavón and Hines not letting anything through the centre whilst both full backs were doing an excellent job keeping tabs on any wide runs. The first goal came after 28 minutes, Forrester swinging in a corner that was headed into the path of Pavón who turned and shot straight at Joe Murphy, the shot was stinging and Murphy parried into the path of Beckford of couldn't capitalize and hit a weak shot that was again parried by Murphy which Howson poked home at the third attempt. Scunthorpe nearly hit back immediately back, Ian Baraclough flighting an excellent ball which Pavón uncharacteristically headed into the path of the oncoming Paul Hayes who let fly with a powerful shot that Ankergren was more than equal to. The last chance of a wild first half fell, again, to Fabian Delph who was making a habit of sending us into the break with a mental advantage, after receiving the ball from Forrester he flighted a cheeky half volley that almost dipped into the net but Murphy tipped the ball over the bar.

The second half started as the first had ended, with both teams looking to get a goal. This time we were the first to create a real chance ten minutes in Forrester steaming down the wing and crossing to the unmarked Howson at the back post, unfortunately he headed wide of the now open goal and looked mortified as he should of tucked it away. The miss gave Scunthorpe some momentum, Barry Cooper coming closest after gaining the upper hand over Andy Hughes on the right he cut inside and hit a shot with the outside of his boot that fizzed past the post. The last ten minutes rolled around and Scunthorpe could sense and equaliser, Nigel Adkins pushing the team in a 4-2-4 formation that seemed to do us more good than them, Fabian Delph again coming close in the dying minutes with a point blank header which Murphy pushed over the crossbar, the resulting corner was shot a mile with by Pavón from the edge of the area. Three minutes of added time were called, and after six the game was over, still four points clear after a very entertaining game and our unbeaten home record remained in tact.

Leeds United 1: Howson (28)

Scunthorpe United 0

MotM: Jonathan Howson (Leeds: 7.5)

I find out after the match that both Etuhu and Sheehan have picked up injuries. Etuhu will be out for up to 11 days with a bruised thigh and Sheehan up to 3 weeks with a gashed leg. Also, to my frustration, Fabian Delph and Rui Marques have both been called up for international duty. Delph will be with the England under 19's on the 8th, 10th and 12th the day before our next game against Morecambe, then the days before and after our next league game at home to Hartlepool. Marques will be out on the 10th, again the day before our home tie with Hartlepool. As I have said, it is a trip to Morecambe up next in the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. A chance for my youth and back up players what they were worth. Both my Reserves and my Under 18's were leading their respective groups.

Our match with Hartlepool has been re-arranged for the 5th of November due to more international calls ups for Richard Snodgrass and Lubomir Michalik. This will give us until the 18th to recover and be fighting fit for the trip up to Carlisle.

Tomorrow will be a trip to Morecambe in the Northern Round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Morecambe are a currently mid table in League 2 thanks to three sporadic wins and two draws in the nine games that have been played. It was a chance to send out my back up team, my under 18's have been impressive, sitting on top of group 5 of the under 18's leagues. Confident of a win, but worried about the current injury hit squad.

Morecambe Vs Leeds United – JTPN R2 (7.10.08) – Christie Park (Att: 1911)

Team: Lucas, Hughes, White, Huntington, Naylor (Pavón 60), Prutton, Forrester, Kilkenny, Howson © (Douglas 45), Showunmi, Elliot (Jerome 79).

Team News: Prutton, Forrester and Howson are the only survivors from the 1-0 defeat of Scunthorpe and debuts have been handed to Tom Elliot and Aiden White.

This is not the kind of match you would of expected Leeds to be playing a few years ago, Champions League football is what you would be seeing, Going into the match I was confident of the win but slightly worried about or left back situation. Injuries to both Ben Parker and Andy Sheehan have left me with no choice but to hand a start to 16 year old Aiden White. The match kicked off and the near 2,000 strong crowd tried their best to make as much noise as possible, the home fans desperate for an upset. The first chance did not fall until the twentieth minute, and it fell in Morcambe's direction, Stewart Drummond laying the ball off to Craig Stanley who let fly from 25 yards, his shot narrowly missing the top of the cross bar. The following goal kick was played short to Andy Hughes who lofted a pass forward to Prutton, charging forward he spotted the run of Jonathan Howson and flighted in a cross to the unmarked midfielder who hit a left foot volley that left Lewis Edge grasping at thin air. That would be three goals in three games for the 20 year old midfielder. After the goal Morecambe piled on the pressure, which I was not expecting, Craig Stanley rifling off shot after shot from outside the area and David Lucas had to be very aware in goal as each shot seemingly edged closer and closer towards the goal. It was end to end stuff up until the break Howson should have had a second right before the end of the half, but had to watch his dipping volley bounce off the frame of the goal. The whistle blew and we went into the break with a very unconvincing 1-0 lead.

The second half got under way without Jonathan Howson, the influential 20 year old had picked up a slight knock, and instead of risking him I brought on Jonathan Douglas to partner Kilkenny in the centre of midfield. The home fans could sense an upset on the cards, the quite brilliant Stewart Drummond was bossing the midfield for the hosts and set up Craig Stanley for another long range scorcher that had Lucas well beaten, but fortunately for us it crashed against the upright. We countered, charging up field Harry Forrester floated in a delightful cross that met the boot of Showunmi whose effort cracked against the post, the rebound fell to Neil Kilkenny whose chipped shot bounced clear off the crossbar and harmlessly out of ply, the small contingent of travelling support tried to get behind our players, urging them to get forward they knew the game wouldn't be safe until a second goal had been scored. They got their wish in the fifty fifth minute, when Enoch Showunmi took matters into his own hands, sprinting unchallenged from the halfway line before hitting a powerful low shot into the bottom right hand corner. I breathed a sigh of relief as Showunmi celebrated with the away fans, it certainly took some of the pressure off and we could relax a little. I threw on Pavón to sure things up at the back, but it didn't stop Morecambe, who were desperately fighting for a way back into the game. Rene Howe forcing a good save from Lucas before Stanley hit another trademark long range shot that fizzed over the bar. It wasn't good enough though, and I was relieved to hear the final whistle blow. We had made it through, what a game it was though.

Morecambe

Leeds United 2: Jonathan Howson (22), Enoch Showunmi (55)

MotM: Deservedly, Stewart Drummond (Morecambe: 7.9)

I checked in on Howson, his knock was not serious and would be in contention for the Carlisle game. I was very pleased with the performance of Aiden White, he held his own well and made some decent challenges. Hopefully, we will have a first team left back for the trip to Carlisle, it doubtful we would and I was a bit worried how White would perform in the League. There were some shock exits in the round. In the North, Port Vale, Rochdale and Notts County had knocked out League 1 sides Crewe, Stockport and Carlisle. In the South, Brentford, Aldershot and Barnet knocked out Peterborough, Yeovil and Hereford.

Delph came off the bench for England to score against Macedonia in the under 19's European Championship qualifying, the 3-0 in their first match makes them second behind Norway in group 2 after they hammered Andorra 4-0.

Rui Marques helped Angola to a clean sheet in their pursuit of World Cup Qualification, they sit a top of their group after a 3-0 win over bottom placed Niger, one point ahead of Benin who have a game in hand. Fabian Delph only came on in the 83rd minute in England U19's 2-1 win over Norway and had little time to make an impact

The Quarter Final of the JTP North Section has pitted us at home to either Chester or Rotherham, both League 2 opposition. They are due to play on the 15th October. The game will be played on the 4th November, which means our re-arranged game against Hartlepool will now be played on the 12th November due to the fixture clash. In other news, England destroy Kazakhstan 9-0 Frank Lampard grabbing a hat trick. Today also saw our next opponents Carlisle lose 1-0 to our old enemy Huddersfield, and Bristol Rovers went to equal points with Leicester after a 1-0 victory over Swindon, both Leicester and ourselves have a game in hand over the chasing pack. Finally, Michalik gets on the score sheet for Slovakia in their 3-0 victory over perennial whipping team San Marino, the win puts them on level terms with Slovenia and a point behind Poland at the top of their qualifying group.

Fabian Delph helps make sure England U19's seal a place in the second qualifying round by scoring after six minutes in a 4-0 win over Andorra. England U19's will now face Norway, Slovakia and Turkey for a place in next years U19 European Championships.

Richard Naylor is sent home after coming down with a cold, I don't want it to spread so he has been given 4 days bed rest to get over it.

Our opponents for the JPT North Quarter Final will be Rotherham who managed to overcome a strong Chester side 2-1. In other news Michalik was injured again, playing 63 minutes of Slovakia's 3-1 win over Poland before coming off with bruised ribs that will keep him out for up to 10 days. So ends another international break, normal service will be resumed on Saturday with a trip to the borders to face Carlisle.

Our opponents Carlisle United have been very disappointing this season. they had been touted by the press during pre-season as promotion candidates, but one point from the last five games had seem them drop into 15th place and three points above the relegation zone. It wasn't really important at this stage but their poor start had left them already twelve points behind us after ten games (this will be their eleventh and our tenth).

Carlisle United Vs. Leeds United – CCL1 (18.10.08) – Brunton Park (Att: 9935)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, White, Pavón, Hines, Etuhu, Johnson (Kilkenny 60), Howson, Delph (Snodgrass 45), Beckford (Showunmi 90+1), Becchio.

Team News: With Parker and Sheehan still out White maintains his place, along with Howson they are the only survivors from our 2-0 defeat of Morecambe.

A match that both teams wanted to win, us so we could go up to seven points clear at the top and Carlisle so they could kick start their season. Both teams came out of the traps with speed, Carlisle making the best of the early chances with Graham Kavanagh going closest, the former Cardiff, Wigan and Sunderland man hitting a shot too close to Ankergren who smothered easily. Becchio was trying his damnedest to justify his place in the starting line-up, somehow making the best of a poor Etuhu cross by turning and placing a shot narrowly over the top. The pace grew slower as the half wore on, Carlisle having the best chances with Kavanagh and Danny Livesey both going close for the struggling Cumbrian's, but neither team being able to fashion a proper end product. Half time was nearing and that man Delph produced the finest bit of skill so far. Laying it out to Etuhu on the wing before charging into the box as Etuhu centred the ball, he sent a looping header over the top of Ben Williams but had to watch in frustration as the ball connected with the underside of the cross bad and bouncing clear before Michael Liddle cleared any remaining danger.

The second half was of little improvement, Carlisle seemingly spent and chances became few and far between for both teams. The first real chance fell to us with 15 minutes of the half played, young Bradley Johnson steam rolling down the right hand send and sending a cross in, it was met by the head of Argentine Luciano Becchio who could not falter from close range and headed the ball home. With the wind sucked out of them Carlisle played out the second half without so much as a whimper and the only other notable incident came in stoppage time, a harsh challenge from David Charcos meaning our star striker, Jermaine Beckford, had to be taken off. The end of the match was greeted with cheers from the away team, and sarcastic cheers from the peeved Carlisle supporters who had endured another timid display from their team which see's them drop a place to 16th in the table. .

Carlisle 0

Leeds United 1: Becchio (60)

MotM: Becchio (Leeds: 7.5)

We were still four points clear at the top, Bristol Rovers over coming Leicester 3-1 which means they slip to third with a game in hand. We also have a game in hand, which means we are effectively seven points clear at the summit of the third tallest English footballing mountain

Damn, I need to check things more ¬_¬ It is becoming a force of habit to put an "r" in for some reason :p the li'l copyright thing is something I can't actually help. I use Open Office for my updates and everytime I put © in it reverts to that

A Tuesday night in Yeovil was next on the agenda. The Somerset team were sitting just inside the relegation zone after collection just two wins in eleven games, their last win would take you back to the end of August and a 3-0 win at home to Northampton, that would be the last time they scored a goal as well. They staked claim to the second worst goal difference in the league have only scored a paltry five goals and conceding twenty, their worst defeats being a 7-0 thumping away at Brighton, a 5-0 hammering against Millwall and a 4-0 loss away to Huddersfield. I was planning for our tenth league win in a row.

Yeovil Town Vs. Leeds United – CCL1 (21.8.09) – Huish Park (Att: 4,356)

Team: Lucas, Richardson, Hines, Huntington, Pavón (Rui Marques 90+2), Prutton, Robinson, Douglas, Delph, Grella (Etuhu 45), Becchio.

Team News:Sheehan was back in training but not up to full fitness and White unavailable for some reason, Seb Hines would have to do Left Back duties today. Starts handed to Lucas, Huntington, Robinson, Prutton, Douglas and Grella in an unusual looking squad.

The match started off slowly, 15 minutes went by before the first shot from an unlikely source in Seb Hines, his shot was far past the post and he looked slightly embarrassed with the effort, as would I be. It took another ten minutes before another chance presented itself, as we pinned Yeovil in their own half Douglas found Becchio in some space and the Argentine scrambled a shot straight Canadian 'Keeper Josh Wagenaar. The match certainly wasn't anything to write home about but we did eventually take the led late in the first half, Fabian Delph's corner found Grella who was surrounded by defenders, he laid it off the the open Prutton who poked the ball home from 6 yards. Lets hope the second half improves.

Etuhu comes on for Grella in a hope for improvement. The change nearly pays off after 55 minutes, Etuhu laying the ball off to captain Richardson who fires a shot inches wide of Wagenaar's post.This turns out to be the only real chance of the second half, and despite some late Yeovil dominance and a nasty looking tackle in which Pavón has to be replaced deep in stoppage time, the match draws to a close and many fans leave disappointed, not least the home fans who have now waited seven games for Yeovil to score a goal, on today's evidence they might be waiting a while.

Yeovil Town 0

Leeds United 1: Prutton (44)

MotM: Prutton (7.7)

Ten wins on the bounce, we are still top by four points after Bristol Rovers picked up 2-1 victory over Cheltenham. Leicester also got a victory today, a 2-0 win over Northampton Town see's them stay within three points of Bristol with a game in hand and Seven points from top spot. Here is how things look:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| [b][i]1st   |       | Leeds          |       | 11    | 10    | 0     | 1     | 17    | 8     | +9    | 30    | [/i][/b]
| 2nd   |       | Bristol Rovers |       | 12    | 8     | 2     | 2     | 22    | 12    | +10   | 26    | 
| 3rd   |       | Leicester      |       | 11    | 7     | 2     | 2     | 20    | 9     | +11   | 23    | 
| 4th   |       | Peterborough   |       | 12    | 6     | 4     | 2     | 24    | 12    | +12   | 22    | 
| 5th   |       | Tranmere       |       | 12    | 7     | 1     | 4     | 17    | 10    | +7    | 22    | 
| 6th   |       | Colchester     |       | 12    | 7     | 1     | 4     | 18    | 14    | +4    | 22    | 
| 7th   |       | Brighton       |       | 12    | 6     | 3     | 3     | 25    | 14    | +11   | 21    | 
| 8th   |       | Millwall       |       | 12    | 6     | 3     | 3     | 19    | 9     | +10   | 21    | 
| 9th   |       | Scunthorpe     |       | 12    | 6     | 3     | 3     | 13    | 7     | +6    | 21    | 

| 20th  |       | Crewe          |       | 12    | 2     | 4     | 6     | 10    | 15    | -5    | 10    | 
| 21st  |       | Yeovil         |       | 12    | 2     | 4     | 6     | 5     | 21    | -16   | 10    | 
| 22nd  |       | MK Dons        |       | 12    | 2     | 2     | 8     | 7     | 21    | -14   | 8     | 
| 23rd  |       | Northampton    |       | 12    | 1     | 3     | 8     | 6     | 23    | -17   | 6     | 
| 24th  |       | Hereford       |       | 11    | 0     | 3     | 8     | 7     | 21    | -14   | 3     | 
|       |       |                |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

To our game with Colchester, it will see us returning to Elland Road after three games away and we will be up against tough opposition in Colchester. They were currently occupying the last play off spot having amassed seven wins so far in the league. They also had the luxury of the leagues joint second goal scorer in the form of Colombian forward Hamilton Ricard, who is on equal terms with Jermaine Beckford in scoring six goals so far this season.

Leeds United Vs Colchester United – CCL1 (25.10.08) – Elland Road (Att: 22,837)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Pavón, Hines, Etuhu (Prutton 81), Johnson, Howson, Delph, Becchio, Showunmi (Beckford 59)

Team News: Welcome returns for Ankergren, Sheehan, Johnson, Etuhu and Howson. Beckford is lacking in match fitness so starts on the bench with Showunmi taking his place.

Elland Road was turning into a fortress, we had not so much as dropped a point at home all season. The last time we conceded here was against Leyton Orient about a month ago which happens to be the last time we conceded anywhere. The first chance fell to Colchester to break that record in the opening moments, Clive Patt marking his territory with a blistering shot that stung the fingertips of our Danish keeper. Colchester were having the better time, and on the stroke of twenty minutes got the reward their dominance deserved, Clive Patt shrugged off a challenge from Seb Hines on the edge of our area and unleashed a shot which had Ankergren beaten from the moment it left his foot, we had gone behind for the first time in recent memory, but at least it took a moment of genius to do so. We frantically tried to pull back a goal, Fabian Delph going closest after half an hour with a curling shot that whistled beyond the post for a goal kick. Bradley Johnson was having a fine game, moving up and down the left wing with the grace of a gazelle and the speed of a cheetah, he won us a free kick about 40 yards out just before half time. He stepped up himself to take it, Delph, Becchio and the massive Enoch Showunmi positioned themselves in the box for the inevitable cross. But it didn't come, instead Johnson curled a stunning free kick beyond the hapless and unfortunately named Dean Gerken, Elland Road erupted and I was awe struck on the sidelines and could only clap. Delph popped up with his usual pre half time chance, hitting a rasping shot just wide from 25 yards, we were deservedly level going into the break thanks to a stroke of magic.

Johnson's goal in the first half gave us the shot in the arm we needed and we came out in the second half looking for the win. Delph picking up where he left off, trying to equal Johnson's free kick by hitting a 40 yard strike marginally wide. The star of the show today was obviously Bradley Johnson, who looked to be enjoying himself immensely, skipping past every challenge on the left side before floating in a gorgeous cross that Luciano Becchio converted with ease before racing over the Johnson to acknowledge his fine contribution today, we had the lead because of him. There was a roar of appreciation a few seconds later as Jermaine Beckford took to the field to replace Enoch Showunmi, and this killed off any chance of a revival for Colchester, Pavón performing his duties at the heart of the defence with great ease, cutting off any threat from the opposition by merely stepping in and taking the ball. We were enjoying ourselves, even when they switched to 4-2-4 in the final five minutes substitute David Prutton took advantage of the lacking midfield to race up the right hand side and whip in a cross that Beckford smashed against the bar. It would of given us a cushion, but we didn't need it and in the end we had won quite comfortably.

Leeds United 2: Johnson (40), Becchio (58)

Colchester United 1: Patt (21)

MotM: Johnson (Leeds: 8.7)

Bristol Rovers could only manage a draw today at Brighton, so this win means we are six points clear at the top of the table. Leicester closed the gap between 2nd and 3rd to a point after humbling Swindon Town 4-1 at the Walkers Stadium. Just three points separated 2nd place and the last play off place 7th.

Thank you to both of you :)

The first round of the F.A cup was drawn today and will see us host league 2 outfit Barnet. Tomorrow will see us play Stockport County at Edgeley Park. They were performing well above expectation this season and were sitting in 14th place, five points above the drop zone. They shouldn't prove much of a task, but I will remain wary as they handed Leicester their first loss in a 3-2 thriller.

Stockport County Vs Leeds United – CCL1 (28.10.08) – Edgeley Park (Att: 8,221)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Pavón, Huntintdon (Hines 63), Prutton, Snodgrass, Howson, Delph, Grella (Becchio 63), Beckford

Team News: Huntington starts ahead of Hines, Snodgrass makes his first start since the 1-0 win over Crewe back in September and Mike Grella comes in ahead of Becchio.

The opening twenty minutes is dominated by white shirts, Sheehan taking the first chance after five with a dipping shot that is well saved by Owain fon Williams. Beckford is seemingly in the mood for goals as his first attempt is inches wide after some good passing play between Delph and Howson. We got a goal in the 18th minute, Beckford receiving a pass from Pavón and making the most the space, ambled towards the goal whilst the defence backed off him, almost as if they didn't want the ball. He hit the edge of the area and through a crowd of six let fly and found the goal, one of the easiest goals you will ever score. We continued to press forward, looking for a goal that would kill the tie off, Delph was really trying to shrug off the negativity he has been getting recently. He was controlling the midfield, trading passes between Howson and Snodgrass before finding a killer through ball that Beckford latched on to and added his, and our, second of the game in the 38th minute. Half time came around quickly, although not before Beckford tried his luck from way out, missing the chance for a first half hat trick by half a yard or so.

Stockport were the team to come flying out the gate in the second half, and it took them a mere six minutes to make us re-think the easy win. Anthony Hacquard looked to be stuck between Huntingdon and Pavón 35 yards from the goal, but he faked a run forward and created half a yard of space for himself before letting fly with a beautiful shot that Ankergren touched with his fingertips, but not enough to stop it flying into the back of the net to make it 2-1. We went into a new gear after that, we didn't allow County a sniff, our precious winning streak was closed to being tarnished and we didn't want that. The introduction of Becchio and Hines gave us an energy boost and we went forward in search of a killer goal before Stockport could find something themselves. They couldn't and we were struggling, that is until Beckford was brought down in the area ten minutes before time, he stepped up with no complaints from the other team members, he wanted his hat trick and they wanted him to get it, which he did coolly slotting to ball down the middle the keeper diving to the right and out of reach. That was the goal we needed, but we weren't finished, Fabian Delph wanted to prove his critics wrong and he did in some style. The ball was picked up by the England U19's international about 45 yards out, with a few yards either side of him he turned and let fly with the most extraordinary goal I have ever seen in my life. He pointed to the press pit and shook his finger, a fitting tribute to the tabloid idiots. The game ended 4-1, and our winning streak continues.

Stockport County 1: Haquard (51)

Leeds United 4: Beckford (18, 38, 81 Pen), Delph (90)

MotM: Beckford (Leeds: 9.2)

Bristol Rovers could only manage another draw, this time a goalless affair with Tranmere. Leicester were the same, a 1-1 tie with Peterborough. This meant we were now 8 points clear with a game in hand. Meanwhile things were going from bad to worse for Hereford, a 1-1 handed them a vital point but still without a win they languished 9 points from safety. And guess who were coming to town on the 1st October.

So, Halloween, it must be scary times to be Graham Turner right now, his side would be staring relegation aquare in the face if they didn't turn around their form soon. Their form speaks for it self 13 played, 0 won, 4 drawn and 9 lost, scored eight and conceded twenty five. They weren't proving anybody wrong, they were predicted to come bottom and I think they is where they will be come the end of the season.

We play Hereford today, but first some housekeeping. I was awarded my second manager of the month award for guiding Leeds to five straight victories last month, scoring nine and conceding two in the process. One of those nine goals was voted goal of the month, and it was Fabian Delph's beauty against Stockport on Saturday.

Leeds United Vs. Hereford United – CCL1 (1.11.08) – Elland Road (Att: 22,872)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Michalik, Hines (Pavón 63), Etuhu, Snodgrass, Howson (Kilkenny 63), Delph, Beckford, Becchio.

Team News: Lubomir Michalik returns to the squad after a nine game lay off with injury, Hines also returns to the line up. Grella drops to the bench and Argentine Becchio starts.

Three points wrapped up? You would think so, but Hereford start the better team and take the first chance, Andrew Williams latching on to a through ball and driving his shot too high after just thirty seconds of play. We hit back five minutes in with Beckford looking to get his tenth goal of the season, but his audacious chipped effort is easily saved. Both teams were trading weak efforts, testing the water so to speak but it was the home team who inevitably struck first. From an Etuhu corner Beckford rose first powering a header towards goal, it takes a huge deflection against Josh Gowling that sends the ball spinning in the opposite direction before nestling in to the bottom corner, it goes down as an own goal against Gowling, 1-0 after 18 minutes. Chances were limited, the game seemingly confined the the midfield, waiting for someone to break free. Snodgrass did just that, making a run up the left hand channel and holding the ball at the corner flag waiting for some help, he saw Beckford arriving at the far post and delivered a fine ball that Beckford chested down before volleying past the 'keeper, 2-0 with 26 minutes played. It was 3-0 two minutes later, Jermaine Beckford connecting again with Richard Snodgrass' cross, this time with a diving header. That was us spent, and the half kept the 3-0 scoreline.

The second half started with a gentle trot, Hereford wary of going forward and we weren't really too fussed as we had already wrapped up the points. Not a good mentality to have, as we found out 10 minutes into the half, a corner was again swung in and Michalik looked to hoof the ball up field, instead he smacked the ball into the back of Jonathan Howson's head and into the goal for a very strange own goal and a lifeline. We should of extinguished any hope five minutes later, Delph was dragged down in the box, Beckford confidently stepped up to take the penalty and confidently smashed it straight into the goalkeepers arms. The last chance of the game fell to Fabian Delph, the kid had been making a nuisance of himself the entire game and he popped up in the last minute to seal the win with a kiss, by that I mean the ball smashed into his mouth as he went for a header. 4-1 the final score, and an easy win in the end.

Leeds United 4: Gowling (o.g 18), Beckford (26,28), Delph (90)

Hereford United 1: Howson (o.g 55)

MotM: Fabian Delph (Leeds: 7.9)

That win puts us 10 points clear at the top, a Tranmere win and a Bristol Draw sees Tranmere take second place on goal difference. Leicester lose to Millwall means they slip into sixth whilst Millwall move up into fourth, Brighton occupying the space in between. Next up was a visit from Rotherham in the Quarter Finals of the JPT North Section

Thanks as always PFM :) Beckford is a machine at the moment

News reached me today that Murcia were interested in acquiring my services, how flattering. I denied any speculation that I was interested in the job, I am fully committed to Leeds. Right, Rotherham were due in town tomorrow to fight for a place in the semi finals of the JPT. They had dispatched League 1 side Scunthorpe and League 2 side Chester on the way here, they were currently sitting 21st in League 2 after overcoming a -17 point deficit handed to them by the governing body. Without that deduction they would be sitting pretty in a play off spot. It should be a good game, and if they play anything like the way Morecambe did, it should be a good test.

Leeds United Vs. Rotherham United – JPT North Section QF (4.11.08) – Elland Road (Att: 7,129)

Team: Lucas, Hines, Sheehan, Rui Marques, Naylor, Prutton, Johnson, Kilkenny, Douglas, Beckford ©, Forrester.

Team News: Sheehan, Hines and Beckford are the only names to remain from the 4-1 win over Hereford.

Possibly THE single most boring game I have ever been in charge off. Absolute shambles from both teams, no real chances, in fact Rotherham went the entire match without taking a single shot. We faired a little better 10 attempts at goal, but only a timid Beckford strike was on target. So the match would be decided on penalties, the second time for us this season.

Jermaine Beckford went first, and buried his penalty. 1-0

Mark Burchill made no mistakes and levelled things. 1-1

Bradley Johnson hits the ball straight down the middle to give us the lead. 2-1

Ex Liverpool and Hull man John Welsh scores. 2-2

David Prutton smashes it home to maintain the 100% penalty streak. 3-2

and Jason Taylor responds, giving Lucas no chance. 3-3

Why couldn't we do this in normal time, Naylor scores. 4-3

again, Danny Harrison levels it up. 4-4

Alan Sheehan scores our fifth. 5-4

Mark Hudson makes it a perfect run for the selected takers. 5-5

young Seb Hines makes it 6-5

A fine save from Ian Sharps' penalty means we go to the semi's. 6-5

Leeds United 0

Rotherham United 0

(Leeds through 6-5 on penalties)

MotM: Tony Kane (Rotherham: 7.5)

Why we couldn't hit the back of the net during normal time is beyond me, probably our worst performance of the season so far, but, we were through and that's what matters. We could now focus on the FA Cup first round where we host Barnet in four days.

Barnet would be the next team to attempt to defeat us at the fortress we called Elland Road. Barnet were sat in 20th place in League two with 10 defeats out of 15 played, a full 44 places below us. Unlike their League 2 counterparts Rotherham, they had managed to overcome League 1 opponents in the QF of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy by beating Northampton 6-5 on penalties after a 0-0 draw, spooky. Our minimum expectation was the fourth round, I was not sure if this was an acheivable target but I tried to remain optimistic. Final piece of news is that we will be travelling to Hartlepool for the Semi Final of our particular section of the JPT, the match will be played on the 16th Decemeber.

Leeds United Vs. Barnet – FA Cup First Round (8.11.08) – Elland Road

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Pavón, Huntington (Michalik 73), Etuhu (Prutton 53), Snodgrass, Howson, Delph, Becchio, Beckford (Showunmi 53)

Team News: I was feeling in the mood to prove a point, we had overcome all lower league opposition in the cups but it was done with a splutter. A full strength team should sort that right out.

The choice to prove the point to myself paid off within 2 minutes, Snodgrass floating in a corner that was parried into the path of Francisco Pavón who tucked it way for his first goal at the club. A fantastic start got even better 6 minutes later. This time an Etuhu corner wormed its way into the path of Pavón again, he took stepped to the right before smashing in a low shot that doubled his, and our, tally. We were incredibly hungry for goals, and we were dominating which came as little surprise given the gulf between the two teams, Fabian Delph almost added a freak goal to our cause after hitting a ball towards the back post everyone missed it and the ball ricocheted off the inside of the post and into the surprised arms of Ran Kadoch. We slowed down the tempo, deciding not to waste precious energy and the next chance fell our way with 7 minutes to go. Etuhu running the right wing before switching the ball to Snodgrass on the Left who had all the time in the world, he took one touch to bring it down, one to push to ball into the box and a third to slot home another goal and taking the game beyond any possible chance of a fight back.

The second half was a more relaxed affair, we only ventured forward occasionally, Jermaine Beckford even coming back to help the defence out through possible boredom. The last chance of the game came surprisingly early, the 53rd minute to be exact, Fabian Delph firing home a scorcher from 35 yards. That kid only ever seems to want to score brilliant goals. With the game wrapped up we sat behind the ball and denied Barnet any consolation, if our attack was going to be brilliant then we wanted Ankergren to look good as well. The match ended 4-0 and we were comfortably through to the second round.

Leeds United 4: Pavón (2, 8) Snodgrass (38), Delph (53)

Barnet 0

MotM: Pavón (Leeds: 9.0)

Point proved pretty damn well I think. Point proved for BSP side York City as well, getting into the draw for the second round of the cup with a well earned 1-0 win over League 1 Peterborough. Ahh the magic of the FA Cup. With the cup out of the way, we could turn our attentions to our fourth home game on the trot, our game in hand against Hartlepool.

The second round of the FA cup will see us travel back to Cumbria to face Carlisle, who recorded a comfortable 2-0 over Blue Square South side Maidenhead.

A JPT semi final rehearsal will be played tomorrow, as we take on Hartlepool in our game in hand. A win would see us go 13 points ahead of second place Tranmere. If Leicester manage to beat Hereford (ha!) they would move to second and our lead would be 12 points. Hartlepool were performing well above expectations so far this season, touted as possibilities for the relegation quagmire this season they had found a good run of form and were sitting pretty in 10th place.

Leeds United Vs Hartlepool United – CCL1 (12.11.08) – Elland Road (Att: 22365)

Team: Ankergren, Hines, Sheehan, Pavón, Michalik, Etuhu (Kilkenny 45), Johnson, Howson ©, Delph, Beckford, Becchio

Team News: Michalik starts in centre back and Hines reverts to Right Back. Bradley Johnson starts on the left.

The game got of to a flying start for Hartlepool who had the ball in the back of the net within 2 minutes, James Brown heading home from close range before wheeling off to see the linesman's flag waving in the air, to use a stereotypical footballing cliché he was a country mile offside. The match wore on at a snails pace, both teams looking too scared to make an impression on the game, both defences having little actual work to do as the ball bounced around the midfield. Delph created the first real opening for us passing the ball out to Bradley Johnson who never looked back as he ran down the left unchallenged befire cutting inside and slotting the ball around the despairing Arran Lee-Barrett in the 'Pool goal, it was a fine goal created out of nothing and we had a lead that I was unsure we deserved, that said, I don't think Hartlepool deserved anything either. With the goal the game opened up a bit and both teams were going for it more, we made the best of this 6 minutes before the half when a rather fine Johnson cross met the head of Becchio followed by the net. 2-0 but we weren't done there, Becchio again popping up a minute into stoppage time to score a well placed volley after Etuhu's corner was poorly cleared.

You would think a 3-0 advantage would pretty much destroy a teams confidence, but as we found out against Southend earlier in the season, being ahead by a distance such as this doesn't mean you should sit back. We did sit back and with in four minutes Hartlepool punished us, Pavón lunging in late on Joel Porter and James Brown proceeded to power home the resulting free kick. This gave a glimmer of hope that Hartlepool used to their advantage, dominating the play and leaving Ankergren with shot after shot to deal with luckily for us Ankergren was on his game. He could do nothing about Hartlepool's second goal though, Gary Liddle, who was having a fantastic second half, found James Brown with a fabulous through ball and he smashed home with venom, this prompted a fine rendition of “I Feel Good” from the away supporters, and no doubt would have Jeff Stelling dancing around the Soccer Saturday studio with his James Brown singing figure. For us it was brown trouser time, they had scored in the 75th minute and it left us with 15 minutes to hold on to our winning streak, Hartlepool were dong everything they could to equalise but Ankergren looked determined to keep us in the lead. My nerves were settled with a minute left, Jermaine Beckford grabbing his 12th goal in 14 appearances with a glancing header from a Howson cross. We managed to keep our winning streak which now stretched to 14 games and fortress Elland hadn't seen a loss still this season.

Leeds United 4: Bradley (27) Becchio (39, 45+1) Beckford (89)

Hartlepool United 2: Brown (49, 75)

MotM: Becchio (Leeds: 8.5)

Goals from James Scowcroft and Joe Mattock gave Leicester a win over Hereford, which means we only go 12 points clear at the top of League 1.

Tom Elliot will be making a short trip up the road as he will be at Blue Square North side Harrogate Town for the next three months.

Our first away game in a while would be a tough game at the Memorial Stadium against Bristol Rovers. They are the surprise package this term, predicted to be part of a relegation battle they found themselves in fourth place winning eight games and only suffering defeat twice. They had struggled a bit recently having drawn the last three games and losing 2-0 to Leicester in the first round of the F.A Cup, but that aside they would be the toughest test for our team so far this term.

Bristol Rovers Vs. Leeds United – CCL1 (15.11.08) – The Memorial Stadium (Att: 8.530)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Parker, Pavón, Hines, Etuhu, Snodgrass, Howson (Douglas 45), Delph, Beckford (Grella 80), Becchio

Team News: A return for Ben Parker at left back, the youngster had spent the last 11 games on the sidelines with a knee injury. Snodgrass replaces Bradley Johnson on the left.

A drab, dull, dire and dreadfully boring first half. The only piece of action came after 33 minutes, David Pipe moved the ball down the right hand side for Bristol, he continued unchallenged as he cut inside and into our area before letting fly, Ankergren parried the ball into the path of Rickie Lambert whose shot bounced of Pavón and away from the recovering Ankergren and into the net, Pavón didn't know much about it but it was an own goal none-the-less.

We went into the second half with purpose, 12 points is a nice round number and we didn't want to lose that margin because of a mistake by one of our own players. Unfortunately the second half was just as drab as the first,we did, however, equalise in the 60th minute. I had brought on Jonathan Douglas at half time as namesake Howson had picked up an injury in the first half and couldn't continue, he made his impact by latching on to Etuhu's out swinging corner and I was suddenly happy that Howson had been injured. The hunt for a winner was on, both teams now looked lively and up for it, unfortunately it did not affect the poor quality shooting, Beckford being the worst culprit hitting a number of shots high and wide and the normally composed striker was replaced by Grella on the 80th minute. The game was drawing its final breaths and it looked as if we would have our first draw of the campaign, Snodgrass had other ideas in the second minute of the two minute stoppage time, Etuhu played a short corner to him on the edge of the box and, turning his marker, let fly a low shot that found the bottom corner, and whilst the Bristol players were still complaining that the goal was offside the game finished and we had somehow managed to get a moral boosting 15th win against a promotion rival.

Bristol Rovers 1: Pavón (33 o.g)

Leeds United 2: Douglas (60), Snodgrass (90+2)

MotM: Snodgrass (Leeds: 8.1)

Our 12 point lead was not affected, Leicester and Tranmere both picking up wins, the loss for Bristol sent them down to 6th place.

Goalkeeper Matty Edwards becomes the second player to join Harrogate on a three month loan.

Our penultimate league game of the month would see us entertain lowly Swindon Town at Elland Road. Swindon had failed to win in the last 7 league games and were hovering 6 points above the drop zone in 19th place. They had a fantastic set of fixtures 4th placed Brighton were their last opponents and after an away trip to us they would be up against 3rd placed Tranmere at Prenton Park.

Leeds United Vs Swindon Town – CCL1 (22.11.08) – Elland Road (Att: 22,973)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Parker, Pavón, Hines, Etuhu, Forrester, Howson, Delph, Beckford, Becchio

Team News: Only one change, a return for Harry Forrester on the left wing.

A flying start, in the 9th minute Jermaine Beckford puts us ahead with a very well worked goal. Starting from Ankergren at the goal kick, passes between Pavón, Etuhu, Delph and finally a killer through ball from Howson which left Beckford to sidestep the 'keeper for his 13th goal of the season. Swindon just didn't look interested in the slightest and lacked any sort of threat going forward, their attacks cut out with ease by our formidable defensive partnership. We were 2-0 up after 22 minutes, Harry Forrester skipping past challenges from Aljofree and Ifil before floating in a cross that Jonathan Howson headed home for his 3rd league goal of the season. Howson then started to show why he is a great prospect by leaving the Swindon defence in knots, setting up Beckford for what should have been a third goal, his half volley sailing miles over. That was it for the first half and we went in with a pretty commanding lead, but we have been in this situation before and almost lost it.

It was not to be, we had the points wrapped up, substitute Craig Easton summed up Swindon's performance tonight by hoofing the ball into the town centre. I would write more but there was honestly nothing note worth about the second half, Swindon only had two shots in the entire game and both of those were wildly off target.

Swindon Town 0

Leeds United 2: Beckford (9), Howson (22)

MotM: Howson (Leeds: 7.9)

We were 14 points clear at the top now, Leicester pegged back twice by a resilient Huddersfield side , Tranmere did not take advantage of this having to score two late goals to draw level with Millwall

you'd think I'd get bored of the winning :D Every win brings me closer to completion :p

Our last league game of the month will be a home tie with a Walsall team who were predicted to come mid table but found themselves in 21st place, their victory at Crewe on Saturday was their first win since early September and was only their third of the season. They also had the worst goal scoring record of the league so far, having only scored 7 goals compared to the 35 we had scored I was feeling pretty confident, the only thing that was going for them so far was they had the 7th best defensive record of the season conceding 17 overall.

Leeds United Vs. Walsall – CCL1 (25.11.08) – Elland Road (Att: 22324)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Pavón, Huntington, Etuhu, Johnson, Howson, Delph, Beckford, Snodgrass

Team News: Sheehan returns at Left Back, Johnson comes in replacing Snodgrass who moves up to partner the leagues second top goalscorer Jermaine Beckford.

That would be 18 league goals conceded, 37 seconds were on the clock when Fabian Delph scored a sublime diving header that would make Andy Gray proud. 37 seconds was a new club record, and was made that much better by adding the fact that it was Walsall who kicked off. With that we sensed a demolition, but we found the Walsall defence to be tighter that a pair of....well....tights. We were limited to long range shots that were surprisingly closer that you would think, Johnson already had a track record for scoring them and with Beckford and Delph looking to add to their tally of exquisite goals this season, it didn't bother us that we couldn't get close. Delph proved that theory minutes before half time by netting his second from a rather long way out that was beyond the outstretched palm of Rene Gilmartin. Goals either end of the half gave us a comfortable lead.

Do you think winning is becoming boring, I don't. With every touch of the ball in the second half we looked ever increasingly threatening. Beckford hitting the post from 25 yards, Delph hitting the crossbar and Snodgrass hitting the back of the net. Delph the provider as his crossed free kick found an the forward unmarked at the back post and he smashed home an easy volley 10 minutes into the half. Not wanting to be left out of the goal scoring party, Jermaine Beckford floating in a fine free kick from 25 yards 10 minutes later. Even at 4-0 we wanted more, substitute Douglas attempting to get in on the party with three quickfire shots that were denied twice by the goalkeeper and once by former Cardiff man Rhys Weston. 4-0 was how it finished and next would be a trip to Carlisle in the second round of the F.A Cup.

Leeds United 4: Delph (1, 41), Snodgrass (55), Beckford (67)

Walsall 0

MotM: Delph (Leeds: 8.9)

We remain 14 points clear...rocking.

17 I think :) I have no idea what it is about my story saves. With my Beijing game I hadn't lost a league game and now with Leeds I seem to be unbeatable, quite unbelievable considering I havn't messed with tactics yet :p I am kind of hoping for a loss so I have something different to write!

Bradley Johnson will miss the next 7-8 weeks after a heavy fall in training left him with a twisted ankle. It was a shame to lose him as he has come on so well this season and in his 8 league appearances so far has scored twice and laid on five for others.

Carlisle were up next for us in the second round of the F.A cup. Having disposed of Maidenhead with ease in the first round, they must be annoyed that they had to face us. The underachievers of the league against the high-flyers who had already beaten them earlier in the season. Then again, this was the F.A Cup.

Carlisle United Vs. Leeds United – FA Cup Round 2 (29.11.08) – Brunton Park (Att: 6,185)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson, Parker, Michalik, Marques, Prutton, Forrester, Howson, Delph (Etuhu 73), Showunmi, Becchio (Grella 73).

Team News: Prutton, Marques, Michalik, Showunmi and Becchio return.

I don't know what is about cup games that just make us shockingly poor, maybe it is a wake up call to the quality in depth we have in the squad. Even though established first team players like Delph, Becchio and club captain Frazer Richardson in the squad we were behind after 18 minutes. Poor defending from the latter, Richardson, let Danny Graham in to fire in a low shot that Ankergren couldn't quite get his hands on. The come back was almost immediate though, and it was the captain Richardson who made amends for the poor defending that had cost us so dear moments ago. Taking the ball from the half way line, he made his way forward to the edge of the area before hitting a low cross that Becchio hammered home. Two goals in three minutes, and that was it for the half. 1-1 at the break but Carlisle were looking stronger.

We should have been in the lead straight after the break, Forrester broke free on the left and managed to flight a cross into the path of the 6'5” Enoch Showunmi who powered a header at the goal, the ball was parried into the path of Luciano Becchio and with the goal gaping he rushed his shot and it went flying over the crossbar. Disaster. We did eventually go into an undeserved lead, Jonathan Howson's free kick took a wicked deflection on its way into the top corner. You would be forgiven to think that we had the win as we had only conceded more than twice on four other occasions. But, they did peg us back with a captains goal, Peter Murphy slamming the ball home from a Jonathan Worthington corner. That's how it finished and we would have a replay on the 10th December

Carlisle United 2: Graham (18), Murphy (77)

Leeds United 2: Becchio (21), Howson (66)

MotM: Murphy (Carlisle: 7.8)

David Prutton, who had to be subbed after 73 minutes, will be out for 3-4 weeks will a pulled hamstring. So, next was a trip to 23rd placed Northampton, followed by a cup replay at Elland road before the trip down to the Walkers Stadium for what will be a very easy game against Leicester....

possibly, you'll have to stay tuned to find out ;)

New month and some more awards. A third consecutive Manager of the Month award for my good self, after guiding us to victory in all five of our league games this month scoring 16 league goals over all. In all competitions in November we had knocked in 22 goals, and I am very proud of the team. Player of the Month award for the brilliant Kelvin Etuhu and a third placed finish for Fabian Delph in the Young Player of the Month. The F.A Cup third round was drawn, and if we overcome Carlisle we will face League Two outfit Gillingham at Priestfield. I was rather happy that we had managed to avoid Premier League opposition as it means I can still try and please the board by getting to the fourth round. Match re-arrangements made for a busy day, our scheduled game against Tranmere has now been re-organised for the 7th January due to the F.A Cup matches.

Peter Sweeney complained to the press about not being in the first team, and demanded a start. I told him to sod off and he was placed on the transfer list. I wont have my players running to the press in an attempt to sway me into playing them. Northampton were next up for us, the relegation candidates were exactly where they were predicted to be in 23rd place having only picked up one league win all season. They had the worst defence in the league, having shipped in a massive 41 goals so far, and only scoring 10 in reply.

Northampton Town Vs Leeds United – CCL1 (6.12.08) – Sixfields (Att: 3,266)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson (Hines 79), Parker, Pavón, Huntington, Etuhu, Snodgrass, Howson, Delph, Beckford (Grella 79), Becchio.

Team News: Nothing much to report, back to a full strength squad.

Three chances in the first half..THREE! Against a team that had shipped in over 2 goals a game on average. We struggled to break through at all, the worst defence in the league were holding off the best attacking force in the league, it was a backwards world for the day. The second top goalscorer was having an off day, he had all three chances in the first half and each one of them was poor. A weak shot, a ballooned volley and free kick that gave some kid in the back rows a black eye. I could only hope for a better second half, I don't mind losing or drawing but this would be humiliating.

The second half started out like the first, the Northampton defence holding out well. Our attacking was better although Beckford was still having a nightmare of a game. Becchio created our first real opening, skipping into the box an struck a low shot the missed the post by millimetres. It was a signal of intent and it seemed to kick us into gear, Delph charged into the box again and was bought down, the referee pointed to the spot and we had a lifeline. Beckford calmly stepped up, he needed something today, he had been playing awfully and a goal would lift his confidence. Unfortunately it was not to be as she smashed the ball straight at the 'keeper, luckily Howson was quickest to react and placed the shot into the bottom corner. That was it, no more goals and only one more shot, Grella hitting the post in the dying minutes. Disappointing, but it was a win and three points.

Northampton Town 0

Leeds United 1: Howson (59)

MotM: Jackman (Northampton: 7.5)

18 out of 19 wins and we were cruising at the top, our nearest rivals were Leicester who we were due to travel to next week. They were 14 points behind us, but 4 points ahead of Tranmere in third.

At the bottom the two that were going down (in my eyes) were Northampton and Hereford who only had one win between them. Walsall, Swindon, MK Dons and Leyton Orient were fighting it out over the last two spots. Next was the replay against Carlisle, which we would have to do without Fabian Delph and Frazer Richardson. Delph bruised his ribs and would be out for 7-10 days and Richardson would be out for 8 days after gashing his arm.

Leeds United Vs Carlisle United – F.A Cup Second Round Replay (10.2.08) – Elland Road (Att: 28,818)

Team: Ankergren, Hines, Sheehan, Pavón, Huntington, Etuhu, Snodgrass, Kilkenny, Howson ©, Beckford, Becchio

Team News: Hines replaces the injured Richardson and Kilkenny replaces Delph.

The fixture list was stacking up, this would be our second game of six over the next three weeks. The game started very, very slowly with the first chance falling our way after 32 minutes, a Snodgrass free kick cracking against the post before being punted behind to safety. The resulting corner again hit the woodwork, this time Sheehan hitting the bar from distance after the corner was cleared. The last chance of the first half fell to Becchio, After Beckford hit a long range curler that rattled the underside of the crossbar, the Argentine was there to poke the ball home.

The second half was an incredibly drab affair, both teams seemingly spent, we held on and our reward was a trip to Kent. Next up, Leicester.

Leeds United 1: Becchio (44)

Carlisle 0

MotM: Murphy (Carlisle: 7.4)

Right, onward and upward. We hadn't really performed well in the last couple of games and, despite the wins, our “lack of form” had come at the wrong time. Leicester were clearly our main rivals in the race for the title, it would take a miracle to overturn the points deficit, but it was possible. They had only lost three times so far this season and were four points ahead of Tranmere in second and had only conceded 16 goals all season, and were second to only us on the goal scoring front hitting 36 league goals this term. It should be a cracking game. Should be....

Leicester City Vs Leeds United – CCL1 (13.12.08) – Walkers Stadium (Att: 26,142)

Team: Ankergren, Hines, Parker, Michalik, Pavón, Etuhu, Snodgrass, Douglas (Hughes 45), Howson ©, Beckford, Becchio (Showunmi 62)

Team News: Michalik in for Huntington and Douglas in for Kilkenny.

26,142 people turned out for what was the biggest game of the season so far. Both teams in this league were regarded as out of their depth, and the 26,142 who attended were not disappointed with what was displayed in the first half. The match quickly got going with Leicester making the best of the early openings. James Scowcroft suddenly found himself in a lot of space and rifled a shot that stung the palms of Ankergren who pushed it around the post. Leicester took advantage of their slightly better possession after 15 minutes, some pretty poor defending led to a shot from Scowcroft that Ankergren could only parry, and into the path of Matt Oakley who stabbed home for 1-0. What followed was a frenzied attack for an equaliser, our attacks fast and venomous with Beckford at the heart of them, the striker looking to score his first goal in a long two games for him. We eventually did get an equaliser 6 minutes before half time, Ben Parker receiving the ball twenty five yards out and attempted an audacious chip which floated above the heads of everyone before hitting the underside of the bar and bouncing over the line. Half time 1 -1

The second half was just as frenzied, each team wanting to prove themselves and each team coming so close to scoring on a number of occasions. The best chance of the half fell to Jermaine Beckford who, after some absolutely excellent passing play between him and Etuhu, couldn't quite manage to keep a rasping shot down and it flew narrowly over the bar. Leicester wanted a winner just as desperately as us, they wanted to prove that we were beatable, Nigel Pearson had said in the press that he will beat us and he wanted to prove that. He threw on 18 year old Ashley Chambers in an attempt to get that winning goal, and in the 2 minute of stoppage time they had it, Chambers latching on to a corner and powering a header into the bottom corner. The referee blew his whistle, Chambers had pushed Ankergren into the mud to get the goal and it would not count, Ankergren booted the free kick forward and the full time whistle went. We had our first draw, it was a cracking game for both teams and was probably the best result in the end.

Leicester City 1: Matt Oakley (15)

Leeds United 1: Ben Parker (39)

MotM: Parker (Leeds: 7.9)

So that means we stay 14 points clear at the top, whilst the foxes 4 point lead was reduced to three as Tranmere lose which sends Colchester United into third spot. Bristol Rovers continue their slide down the table, finding themselves in 9th place after a 2-0 lose to lowly Leyton Orient. Next up was the JPT semi final against Hartlepool

15/12/08

The last time we played Hartlepool it ended in a 6 goal marathon that saw a 4-2 victory go in our favour. since then Hartlepool had gone on to 2 wins and 3 losses in the league and had only just managed to overcome League 2 side Notts County in the F.A Cup. They had managed to beat Rochdale, Lincoln and Chesterfield on their way here.

Hartlepool United Vs Leeds United – JPT Semi Final (North) – Victoria Park (Att: 3,371)

Team: Ankergren, Richardson ©, Sheehan, Huntington (Hines 64), Pavón, Etuhu, Parker, Douglas, Delph, Beckford, Showunmi (Grella 64)

Team News: Welcome returns for club captain Frazer Richardson and Fabian Delph. Huntington, Sheehan and Showunmi also come in

Our cup performances have been pretty poor at best, but somehow we had managed to get to the Semis to face a team we had already hit four past this season. The past didn't seem to matter to Hartlepool though, and even without their soul singing top scorer they were completely outplaying us. I have no idea if it is fatigue, or just that cups do not agree with us in general, but we were dire to say the least. Former Manchester United and Barnsley man Daniel Nardiello was giving our defence all kinds of nightmares, but his shooting was pretty woeful in comparison to the build up play. They had their reward after 26 minutes, Nardiello hitting a shot that Ankergren couldn't hold on to and it fell for midfielder Ritchie Jones to tap the ball home. They didn't settle after the goal and they went for more, Nardiello and partner Joel Porter both going close again before the half drew to a close with us looking very sorry for ourselves.

One angry team talk alter and the second half began, and you know what they say about the game of two halves, well it couldn't be more true here. The team looked focused and determined, and we had our equaliser after just six minutes of play, a corner floated and cleared into the path of Francisco Pavón who took a step to the right before firing a low shot that had Lee-Barrett well beaten. Our defence looked better as well, Pavón and Huntington making crucial interceptions to keep us in the game. We grabbed a second after 65 minutes another corner, and again Pavón found himself on the end of it, this time heading home from close range. We were definitely back in business and we had the win wrapped up in the 73rd minute, Beckford crossing to an unmarked Mike Grella who volleyed home his first goal of the season. We weren't quite finished, and we saved the best for last. Ben Parker, who was having a brilliant second half, floated a rather brilliant ball to the other wing for Etuhu, he took the ball down with his chest before powering into some space just inside the box and let fly with a scorching shot that curled round the fingers of Lee-Barrett. It was a second half massacre that ended in the best possible way, Kelvin Etuhu capping another excellent performance with a fine strike that sent us through to the final. I couldn't help but let out a smile as the players applauded the away support at the end of the game, It has been a fun season so far.

Hartlepool 1: Jones (26)

Leeds United 4: Pavón (51, 65), Grella (73), Etuhu (82)

MotM: Pavón (Leeds: 9.0)

A fine second half performance by the lads set up a final between either Notts County or Port Vale. In the South Leicester set up a final between them and either Colchester or Barnet. I can't help but think it will be a Leeds Vs Leicester final.

Archived