FM 09: Official Panathinaikos FC Thread

Candre168

222px-PAOemblem.svg.png

Full Name: Panathinaikos F.C. ( Π.Α.Ε. Παναθηναϊκός)

Founded : 1908

League: Greek Superleague

Stadium Spiros Louis (71,000)

610x.jpg

Value: €59M (€12.5M Debt)

Finances: Secure

Fierce Rivals: Olympiakos

Other Rivals: PAOK, AEK

Team:

Mario Galinović

Bryce Moon

Josu Sarriegi

Marcelo Mattos

Ante Rukavina

Christos Melissis

Sotiris Ninis

Giannis Goumas (vice-captain)

Silva Cleyton

David

Dimitris Salpigidis (vice-captain)

Gilberto Silva

Lazaros Christodoulopoulos

Gabriel

Sotiris Leontiou

Giorgos Karagounis (captain)

Simão Junior

Loukas Vyntra

Jakub Wawrzyniak

Vangelis Mantzios

Andreas Ivanschitz

Antonis Petropoulos

Mikael Nilsson

Alexandros Tzorvas

Nikos Spiropoulos

Nikos Pantidos

Orestis Karne

Goalkeepers: Tzorvas is a decent young Goalkeeper. He will hold you steady for a couple of seasons, but eventually you will want to upgrade. You have good depth at Goalkeeper so no need to worry about running low on keepers.

Full Backs This area is weak. Gabriel can be used at RB but he is much better suited to RM. Nilsson is pathetic at RB and should be offloaded immediately. RB is one of the urgent positions you have to fix. At LB, you have two decent players in Spiropoulos and Wawrzyniak, but like Goalkeeper you will eventually want to upgrade here.

Centre Backs David and Vyntra (can be used at RB or LB but is better at CB) are both good CB's. Neither need upgrading immediately but you will definitely need a new star CB. David develops well and is one of the better young players. Goumas is also good, but old and slow. Still alright as a rotation CB but shouldn't be viewed as a starter. Melissis is also a good CB and Sarriegi as well. You have good depth at CB but should be looking to improve.

Central Midfield: Arguably the strongest area. Gilberto and Mattos are both brilliant DM's, and Simao turns out to be a good DM as well. Karagounis is also very good in central midfield. Hernanes can be bought, or Ramires, if you wish to sell either Mattos or Gilberto. (I usually buy Hernanes).

Wingers: Ivanschitz is absolutely brilliant, Premiership teams will be knocking on the door for him after the first season. Ninis on the other side develops into a leading player as well (again, teams like Everton, Man City and Valencia end up interested). Cleyton also is a good player. Karagounis can play the wing just as good as central midfield as well so you are mostly set here although I would pick up an extra winger for depth.

Strikers: All your strikers are "decent-good". But I generally find they lack finshing touch. On 9.2, I usually signed Guilherme from Cruzeiro (who plays for Dinamo Kiev now). I would try and bring in a goal scoring striker immediately. As I said, Salpingidis and Ante are both good strikers but the finishing touch is often missing.

It is important to remember that after the 1st season, providing you get into the CL and ask for extra transfer funds, you usually get a good amount of money to spend and usually good players are interested. Don't think that just cause you aren't Barcelona or someone you can't attract top players.

Best players - Gilberto Silva, Karagounis, Salpingidis, Ivanschitz.

Best youth players - Ninis, Simao, Mattos.

Good buys - Look to strengthen the back four first, particularly right back. Then look for an extra winger and a goalscoring striker. Your centre of midfield is very strong and doesn't need any immediate help.

paoaris110508b17_b-1.jpg

Acheivments:

* Greek Championship: 19

1930, 1949, 1953, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1977, 1984, 1986, 1990, 1991, 1995, 1996, 2004

* Greek Cup: 16

1940, 1948, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1977, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2004

* Greek Super Cup: 3

1988, 1993, 1994

European Champion Clubs' Cup: Runners-Up

Extra Information

Panathinaikos are the only Greek team to have been a danger in European Competitions. Unlike their partners, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos are built for European competitions. Panathinaikos also provide a good challenge in the league, with Olympiakos, AEK and PAOK all being very hard teams to contend against. With good young players like Ninis and Simao (who both attract Premiership interest), and veterans like Gilberto and Karagounis, Panathinaikos have plenty of players that are fun to develop/manage. Panathinaikos also attract young talent from South America, giving you an equal opportunity to sign the star players who come out of South America. As usual for Greek teams, Panathinaikos have great fans who always create a good atmosphere. Have fun!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was my first time creating a team thread, I didn't have much time so I just kept it simple.

Take it easy on me lol :).

Good stuff. Nicely done. I'd add a bit more about the squad if I was you. Other than that it looks brilliant

My Transfers In:

transfers.jpg

I still have around €2M to spend in Jan if I need it.

After battling it out with Man City for Vagner Love (lost eventually), I joined the bidding war for Pavel Pogrebnyak and won :).

The Dutch RB I signed from Ajax also looks solid.

I also managed to sign a young LM out of Argentina on a pre-contract. He's not going to break in to my team but good for depth :). He'll join the squad in January.

Half way through the season, 2 points clear of AEK Athens.

In the UEFA Cup (was in a REALLY hard CL Group).

Just picked up Royston Drenthe on loan for 12 months, might sell Gilberto (got a good offer) and spend it on a younger CM.

How much was the offer for Gilberto?

€5M, but I can keep him untill the end of the season.

Considering he is coming up to 33, and I have Simao and Marcelo Mattos who are both good (and can buy Hernanes/Ramires) I think it's a good offer.

I'm amazed that you get so much money in Greece for transfers.

How much is price money for winning the league? Tv-contracts? Sponsordeals?

Just signed a new deals for kit deal and Sponsorships.

1.1M for League TV rights.

Kit deal is now 3M per annum.

Sponsorhip deal is now 4.6M per annum.

TV deal is now 5.2M per annum.

I can't remember how much I got for winning the league. I'll check after I win next season.

Signings for the 2nd season:

Transfersin.jpg

(I sold Ivanschitz in January for some good money)

Ochoa and Marquinhos were the two big money signings. Both very good players who will make a huge impact. I'm stacked at AML/AMC/AMR/FC but Marquinhos will demand a place. Feghouli has excellent potential and is a possibe Karagounis replacement...same for Tales. Kyriakos Papadopoulos turns in to one of the better defenders in the game with time. Konstantinou from Anorthosis is a good backup keeper.

Hlusko is a good regen, so is Moysiadis...but Theodoridis, the regen striker I signed from OFI, hasn't got amazing ratings but he is scoring alot so I'll keep him in the squad :D. My scouts said he has the potential to be as good as Pogrebnyak.

I'm doing a good job of developing young Greek talent as well.

My aim is to have a deep run in the Champions League. :)

Good signings mate. Well done. Could you post a ss of Papadopoulos?

I will do as soon as I get home.

He has a PA of

for those interested. I bought him for Arsenal on 9.2 and played him often and he turned out well.

Well, I have indeed restarted but decided to change tactics for the new save (so it wouldn't be an exact repeat). Unfortunately, Pavel Pogrebnyak's asking price has risen by 4M so it makes it harder to sign him :(.

I have already signed the same players as last time though van de Wiel, Parejo and Dalton. I'll keep you more updated this time on how things go :).

Transfers in:

Paotransfers2009.jpg

Bobo is brilliant, scored 4 goals in my two legs against Dinamo Kiev.

Drawn against Inter, Galatasary and Schalke in the CL.

Hope to win the title again. Planning on giving Marcelo Mattos a little more playing time but playing Gilberto in the more important matches. :thup:

I've just finished my first season with Panathinaikos. Won the Greek Super league And Greek cup but was knocked out in the group stages of the champions league and then lost to sevilla in Euro cup.

I only bought two major players in my first season (I did however sign a series of good Greek prospects throughout the season) and they where Miguel Torres and Javier Saviola. Torres was solid and formed a very good partnership with Ninis for me down the right whilst Saviola was simply a goal scoring machine, 27 goals in 39 appearances whilst his partner up front Salpigidis chipped in with 13.

Just about to start my second season and have already decked out my under 21 squad with a variety of young Greek talent i pillaged from other teams in the super League as well as bolstering the first team with improvements I thought needed to be made such as Leto, Wilshire and Franco Zuculini.

^ Glad to see another Panathinaikos player :thup:

Please keep us updated on how your save goes :).

I might look at Saviola myself now :D.

Kyriakos Papadopolous and Michalis Pavlis are both good young Greek players if you want them.

Mhmmm I looked at Pavlis but for some reason I didn't sign him I'll have to look at him again. As well as picking up young Greek players I also got several eastern Europeans into my youth squad ( I figured the youth of the main nations would less be likely to come) And so far the gem is a little Romanian striker who at 17 looks very promising (I'll add a screen shot later).

On a side note i have struggled this year to find a team i really like managing, last year it was Ajax and this year it seems to be Panathinaikos. I hope to build a squad ready for champions league dominance:D.

^ Keep going at it and be patient. Eventually you can build a team that will have CL dominance but it takes time. I missed out on the CL knockout stages on goal difference :(. So I'll do my best in the UEFA Cup. Rivals Olympiacos are through to the next round of the CL though. :mad:.

Keep going at it, buy good players and eventually you'll have a dominant CL squad. :thup:

Last few days been home sick so I've had FM playing time :p.

After a dreadful first season in which I just about managed a CL spot, I decided to become extra motivated and make some good signings. Here are my signings for the 2009 Summer (Dudek is not shown on this list but I signed him in Jan).

paotransum.jpg

Screenshot of Rochina and Marquinhos:

Rochina.jpg

Marq.jpg

I beat Celtic comfortably in the CL qualifiers, and my group is Lyon, Sporting and Anorthosis.

I've not brought in as many young Greeks as I did last save, but I will be bringing in young Greek players from now on. I like to keep at least 4 of the home nation in the starting lineup you see.

Mattos and Hernanes works perfectly in midfield, as does Marquinhos and Salpingidis up front (although Bobo does work here as well). Salpingidis was the 2nd top scorer in the league last year, despite not playing as many games as who came 1st, so I will be using him alot more.

My second season has started well. One all my Champions league knockout games convincingly, though got drawn into a nightmare group with Juve,chelsea and monoco. one my first league game two nil saviola double.

Zuculini is keeping Gilberto out of my team. Top notch player and easily the best midfeilder in the league depsite being only 18

My second season has started well. One all my Champions league knockout games convincingly, though got drawn into a nightmare group with Juve,chelsea and monoco. one my first league game two nil saviola double.

Zuculini is keeping Gilberto out of my team. Top notch player and easily the best midfeilder in the league depsite being only 18

Who is your Goalkeeper btw?

When did Sandhor move? :(

Who? :confused:

Nah, meant for here.

Sandhor. Sandhor Torghelle. Legend :cool:

When did he move away from Panathinaikos?

Oh.

He was only on loan at Panathinaikos, it lasted a year (in which he didn't play that much). Panathinaikos did not want to make the deal permanent. He was swapped to PAOK, he lasted a season there before they sold him.

Who is your Goalkeeper btw?

Last season my keeper was the Mario Galinović, very solid for me. Not outstanding but solid, but he was injured for the beginning of my second season so i used and have stuck with Alexandros Tzorvas.

I'm in no hurry to buy a goalkeeper. Tzorvas should last for at least another couple of seasons and I have what looks to be a promising GK in my youth team.

Last season my keeper was the Mario Galinović, very solid for me. Not outstanding but solid, but he was injured for the beginning of my second season so i used and have stuck with Alexandros Tzorvas.

I'm in no hurry to buy a goalkeeper. Tzorvas should last for at least another couple of seasons and I have what looks to be a promising GK in my youth team.

Yeah, Tzorvas will last you especially if you have a good defence in front of you.

I have four games left in my second season am currently winning the GSL comfortably and am in the quarter finals of the greek cup. I got through to the First knockout round of the CL despite a horrendous group, beating both Chelsea and Juventus but i got knocked out of the CL by spartak Moscow :(

On my team no major additions through January. I did by in Marquinhos just to add that little bit of flair up front, and mainly because at the time Saviola had failed to score (and had been injured ALOT) Only to have Marquinhos and Saviola to form one of the best partnerships i've had in FM. Saviola went from from scoring nothing to 12 in the league with Marquinhos chipping in with 6 goals.

However as good as they have been since January for me it is my midfield that drove me forward during my Striker issues. Mattos scoring seven goals, Silva scoring five and Ninis and leto proving countless assists. Zuculini is also the major engine of my midfield, slotting in whenever I want a purely defensive option.

Just started a new carrier with Pana today, looking like a very good team with strong balance and finance so far. Also having some stars and good talents. Board gave me 6 mil. euro for this season. I've bought Eboue(Arsenal), Federico Vilar(Atlante) and Edwin Rolando Tenorio(LDU de Quito) with that money. My aim is winning greek league & cup also quarter finals on ECC this season :)

Ok now let the game begin xD

Archived