FM 09: Official Panathinaikos FC Thread

Candre168

Only made one signing at the beginning of my third season and that was the greek centre half who plays for Genoa (have no hope of spelling his name) very good player and a good replacement for Goumas.

Won my first game 2-0 against Aris.

On a side note why did I not have to qualify for the CL like i had to in the other two seasons? This time i went straight into the group stages?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last few days been home sick so I've had FM playing time :p.

After a dreadful first season in which I just about managed a CL spot, I decided to become extra motivated and make some good signings. Here are my signings for the 2009 Summer (Dudek is not shown on this list but I signed him in Jan).

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z258/TheWookieeBronco/paotransum.jpg

Screenshot of Rochina and Marquinhos:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z258/TheWookieeBronco/Rochina.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z258/TheWookieeBronco/Marq.jpg

I beat Celtic comfortably in the CL qualifiers, and my group is Lyon, Sporting and Anorthosis.

I've not brought in as many young Greeks as I did last save, but I will be bringing in young Greek players from now on. I like to keep at least 4 of the home nation in the starting lineup you see.

Mattos and Hernanes works perfectly in midfield, as does Marquinhos and Salpingidis up front (although Bobo does work here as well). Salpingidis was the 2nd top scorer in the league last year, despite not playing as many games as who came 1st, so I will be using him alot more.

Nice ins, that Rochina looks potentially a brilliant player. Aswell Marquinhos and Hernanes are obviously great players already so good business :thup:

Oh.

He was only on loan at Panathinaikos, it lasted a year (in which he didn't play that much). Panathinaikos did not want to make the deal permanent. He was swapped to PAOK, he lasted a season there before they sold him.

So he isn't a legend. Thought so.

:eek::mad:

Just started the third season. Team is quite simply brilliant. I managed to get in Armand Traore on loan for a season so provide cover for Leto, I'm thinking about sending Zemen on loan somewhere.

Marquinhos has been brilliant scoring for fun, though is attracting the big boys which could be a bit of a problem, whilst Saviola has been chipping in with a goal or two but mainly been mainly putting them on a plate for Marquinhos.

CL league group again is a bit of a shocker getting Lyon, Man u and Mainz. I aim for the quarters this time hopefully progressing. My young greek talent is doing well, my under 21 team dominates there league from start to finish. Heres to hopefully Euro glory!

What tactic are you guys using?

I use 4-2-4. Four defenders, two centre midfielders to wingers sitting between the Midfield and strikers, then two strikers.

Anyways I just finished my third season. Done the Greek double again. My team didnt lose a single game and only conceded two league goals. Was very Happy with my performance this season. I got the first round of the Champions league only to be drew against liverpool, I managed to stay 0-0 with them at anfield then they beat me at the Panathinaikos arena 3-0 after david was sent of in the 15 minute.

I Paid 9 mil for Igor Akinfeev in Jan because whilst Alexandros Tzorvas has been solid for me. He has made some silly errors at key times that had it not been for my increasingly impressive strike force could of cost me. My teams now looking impressive in all areas and my youth is continuing to progress. All ways a good sign.

This coming season I am failing to see where my potential threat for the league is coming from. Olympiakos have sold there two main assets in Diogo and their center midfielder Bellushi...whilst i've managed to keep hold of my key players. I've achieved Domination in greece. Now i want europe weather thats the Euro cup or the Champions league i dont mind :D

Wow, your tactic and method of buying players has really paid off :thup:

Akinfeev sounds like a brilliant signing at GK. Keep buying players of that quality and you will be in an excellent position for Europe. Your team should be good enough to bag you the UEFA Cup or at least a good run in the CL. Of course, it all depends on how hard the draw you get is :(. Be patient and hopefully in the coming seasons you have European success.

You must have quite abit of money now, if Keirrison is still at Palmeiras he would be a brilliant signing (unless they are asking for 20M). Or you might want to save the money and move up the finance list :D.

As for Greece, Oly and AEK will both pose threats. AEK are my "bogey" team, I can NEVER beat them :(. Have Olympiacos signed anyone to replace these guys? On my save when Olympiacos sold Diogo, they bought Saviola.

I'm currently dominating my CL group so i'm hoping this could be my breakthrough season. I have a fair amount of money but I only ever really buy a big player if I need them desperately (the acceptation being Akinfeev due to me losing confidence in Tzorvas). I usually sign youth and build them up it's always been my method on FM.

As for Kerrison. He went to Udinese just after i swooped for Marquhinos and is now at Roma but doesnt seem to be doing to well. And atm my strike force is lethal so i'm keeping that how it is.

Olympiacos signed a impressive looking Ghanaian regen who i admit i did look at. He doesn't seem to be doing that well and as for AEK they simply haven't done that well in my game. It's been POK that normally come in third.

On a side note I've been increasingly impressed with Spiropoulos. The man is as solid as a rock. very underrated player IMO.

He wanted to move to a bigger club. And his team wasn't playing in CL so i swooped and managed to get him before the bigger teams could. He 's on a reasonable wage too only about 27 thousand a week.

No he wont leave AEK. I did get a very good young greek CB though called Naka's. I'm not sure if he's a regen or not though but he is very good. My strike force is pretty sound tbh, Saviola and Marquinhos score for fun and Chirstenpaoulas chips in and Mattos scores a hell of a lot. So it's all good atm.

No he wont leave AEK. I did get a very good young greek CB though called Naka's. I'm not sure if he's a regen or not though but he is very good. My strike force is pretty sound tbh, Saviola and Marquinhos score for fun and Chirstenpaoulas chips in and Mattos scores a hell of a lot. So it's all good atm.

Must be a regen, I don't know a Greek CB called Nakas.

Let me now how your quest for Europe goes ;).

Not sure whether that is a good or bad move. ;):D

lol, I don't want to spend 11M on players who will end up being unhappy the second I reject an offer from Real Madrid.

As Panathinaikos, you CAN keep players like Marquinhos and Pavel Pogrebnyak happy but you have to do well in Europe, something I'm not doing at the moment.

And Bendtner isn't that bad tbh :D

Had to sell Marquinhos as BIG clubs (Real Madrid) wanted him and he got unhapppy.

I'm 6 months without a star striker now but Bentdner will come in the Summer :cool: (signed him for 4M)

How much did you get for him?

I discovered a simple way to keep my star players happy whilst getting rid of the bigger clubs (who had all declared interest in ninis, Marquinhos,Mattos and akinfeev...just yank up his value to something not even man city would pay and BAM away goes the interest and your players stay happy. Though IMO 20mil for a striker who's scored 50 goals in two seasons is a fair price... apparently madrid didnt think so.

I discovered a simple way to keep my star players happy whilst getting rid of the bigger clubs (who had all declared interest in ninis, Marquinhos,Mattos and akinfeev...just yank up his value to something not even man city would pay and BAM away goes the interest and your players stay happy. Though IMO 20mil for a striker who's scored 50 goals in two seasons is a fair price... apparently madrid didnt think so.

I always do that when I'm not playing in top clubs. It keeps them away from your team :)

I always do that when I'm not playing in top clubs. It keeps them away from your team :)

It only holds teams off though, if a team really wants your player they still come back. It's not a guaranteed way to keep hold of your best players. Sadly there is no guarantee to keep hold of some players.

I got 14M + percentage of next sell for Marquinhos. I bought him for 10M so I basically got 4M for him scoring 13 goals for me.

Just had maybe the most exciting end to a season EVER. 26 games played, Olympiacos are 4 points head of me, but I have two games in hand. I end up beating Olympiacos 4-1 (Kyriakos Papadopoulos scoring from a corner, free kick and long ranged effort) :cool:. I then draw my game in hand which puts me and Olympiacos even on points (I was top because of better record against them). I was even with them on points untill the LAST day of the season, when I won and they drew.

It was so damn exciting.

For this next upcoming season, my main signings are Giovinco and Nilmar. :thup:

I spent 37M on transfers but got 16.25M back.

As for the guy from Genoa, I could have got him but Leo and Papadopolous are absolutely amazing. I just bought Tavlaridis for depth :).

Could you post a ss from from Katsouranis?

Here's a list of my players:

GK: Ochoa, Tzorvas, Gavriil Konstantinou

RB: Van der Wiel, Vyntra

CB: Leo, K.Papadopoulos, Melissis, Tavlaridis, (Katsouranis and Vyntra can also play here if needed)

LB: Spyropoulos, Darlas, Wawryznyak

RM: Ninis, Christofi, Katsianikoulis

CM: Katsouranis, Diaby, Magrao, Giorgos Panagi and a regen that can play here if needed.

LM: Giovinco, Sergio Mota, Rusculleda

ST: Nilmar, Bendtner, Pavlis, Rochina

It's a big squad but I'm trying to send a couple of the less needed players on loan.

Here is the Katsouranis screenshot:

KostasKatsouranis.jpg

and an update on Kyriakos Papadopoulos:

Kyriakos.jpg

Get him to learn place shots, he gets even better then. He's truly immense for my side, goal machine. :thup:

Thanks for the advice, I shall do this :).

Whoa how did you get Kyriakos Papadopoulos so good!? he's been stuck in my youth side for nealy two seasons and hasnt really improved. What training are you using on him?

I'm using default training, I don't use training schedules to avoid injuries.

I just played him alot.

(I'm giving away his PA here)

So he will turn out quite good especially if you give him games.

End of first season with Panathinaikos 9.3 season. Won the Greek League (very tight race as us and Olympiacos weren't dropping any points: Panathinaikos 75 points (W23 D6 L1), Olympiacos 2nd with 75 points, followed by Aris at 52!!)

I lost in the final of the Greek Cup to Olympiacos but above all had a tragic year in Champions League and finished bottom of my group. But my key signings were all done in January: What do you think of my current team? I am about to enter pre-season for season 2 and would like a nice tactic for Europe and any recommended signings? My assistant says I should invest in DL and DR, but Spyropoulos and Vyntra have been solid as defensive-minded full-backs. Only have 3M euro but intend to sell Ivanschitz, Mantzios and probably Mattos. What do you think?

I think I need a good tactic above all. My 4-4-2 works in Greek League and am happy, but need something for next year's Champions League!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/AnthonyMLondon7/Panathinaikos1.jpg

^ Your team is brilliant. Use Nova's trick to keep your bigger name players :thup:

Spyropoulos is fine. Although I do agree you could use an upgrade at RB. I don't hve any ideas though :(. I'd also release Goumas and sign Radoi/Leo (providing Gremio aren't asking a ridiculous amount for him) or Kyriakos Papadopoulos for youth.

Mattos, Ivanschitz and Mantzios are all desposable especially since it looks as if you have suitable replacements. If you do have spare cash, investing in another GK would be good.

As for your tactic, the same tactic but more defensive is an option. I've created my own tactic (4-4-2) and when I play in the CL against the good teams I usually drop the two CM's to DM and player counter attack. It helped me go to teams like Inter and take a draw.

I would also play Ninis above Cleyton.

Ask if you need anymore help. Your team is brilliant though, well done :thup:

^^ i disagree. Mattos for me has been simply brilliant. If you play him with slightly more attacking role than defensive he scores buckets full of long shots. And as for right back I have torres and he is solid a option to consider.

^^ i disagree. Mattos for me has been simply brilliant. If you play him with slightly more attacking role than defensive he scores buckets full of long shots. And as for right back I have torres and he is solid a option to consider.

He is very solid, but players as good, if not better than him can be bought. It depends on how much you get offered for him I guess. For example, I got 4M and with that money I bought Katsouranis and Magrao who are both ver good.

Mattos is better than Simao though imo (which is not accurate to real life, in which Simao is a beast :D).

Simao hasnt made an appearance for me in four seasons. He's been on loan at gremio since i took charge. Never rated him in the game. And zuculini is just an animal and silva is still going strong.

Simao hasnt made an appearance for me in four seasons. He's been on loan at gremio since i took charge. Never rated him in the game. And zuculini is just an animal and silva is still going strong.

Yes, you have good DM's which are above Simao. Plus, Simao takes up one of the Non-EU spots and I never thought he was special enough to take one of them.

Archived